Chapter 13

Charlotte’s phone rang the next morning. She was sitting at her desk grading reports when the switchboard put the call through.

“Room 203, Ms. Taylor speaking.”

“Ms. Taylor, this is Nicholae Dragomir. We met yesterday. Is this a good time?”

“Well, I was grading semester reports…I have a free period at 12:45, if it’s important.”

“No rush…I must confess I am not used to seeing female conductors. They are not common in Europe, you see. You’ve been well taught. Forgive me if this is too forward, but I have two tickets to the opera for Friday night…I was going to take my mother, but she cannot attend. I would be deeply honored if you would join me?”

“Mr. Dragomir…” she sighed.

“Nicholae, please…I understand the hesitation of a single woman in a large city. We could meet at the theater, if you would be more comfortable. I would greatly enjoy the company of one educated such as you. Will you consider it?” His genuine charm couldn’t be denied.

“I…call me back this afternoon, and I will have your answer.” Charlotte winced, twisting the phone cord around her finger. Why was she even considering this?

He chuckled. “Very well. I look forward to it. Good day, Charlotte.” He hung up the phone.

Charlotte shook her head. ‘Seems to be my month for meeting men with accents,’ she thought, amused. She picked up where she had left off reading the paper on her desk, but the invitation was mulling about the back of her mind all morning.
~+~
“Where to today, Dawnie?”

“Uh…I marked them on the map…here, and here. We’ll have seen the last of them by this weekend.”

“Good,” Buffy replied. “If we’re thinking about moving somewhere out here, we’re going to have to get back to Rome and start packing. Well, at least packing you up, since you want to be Miss World Traveler for the next few months.”

“You’re actually thinking about moving here, too?! I thought that was just the cheeseburgers talking,” Dawn said, surprised.

“Well, I’d rather not have you off on your own thousands of miles away…” Buffy said evasively.

“And Spike’s here?” Dawn prompted, finishing her sister’s sentence.

Buffy started chewing her lip. “He’s here for now,” she finally said. “That doesn’t mean he’ll stick around. I mean, he’s been used to traveling the world every few years for over a century, right? And he’s always complained about L.A…”

Dawn waved off the excuse. “Yeah, yeah, I know…but you want to be around him again, right? Otherwise, you would have been racing back to Paolo by now…”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Yes, I want him in my life, now that’s he’s not quite as dead again. But, that doesn’t mean it’s going to work, and stuff. We have issues, and there’s been a year with us on different paths…”

“Blah, blah, blah…I know. You both have excuses. I’m not 14 anymore, Buffy. I don’t expect everybody around me to have a storybook romance. Just…don’t be a moron, okay? He’s my big brother.”

“I promise I won’t keep you two from being close. I did that the year I came back, and I’m sorry. That wasn’t fair to you, Dawn. I was too wrapped up in my own crap to realize how close you’d gotten while I was gone. I took away your anchor,” the Slayer confessed truthfully. “How do you not hate me?” she asked, the question only half rhetorical.

“Well, I did, for a while, at least a little, but we’ve been over this stuff plenty of times. Time to start living in the now. That’s been my motto post Sunnydale. So, let’s go eat. I’m starving!”

Buffy laughed. “Yeah, okay.”
~+~
At 12:45pm on the dot, Nicholae walked into Charlotte’s classroom. Her eyes widened in surprise as she hurried to usher the last two girls out the door.

“What are you doing here?” she hissed.

“Calling on you. You said you would have your answer at this time. These are for you.” He held out a bouquet of daisies, smiling.

“As in call back on the phone!! I can’t have male visitors unannounced! I’ll get in trouble with my boss.” She took the bouquet and tossed it on the desk, putting her hands on her hips as she scowled at him.

“I was discreet coming in, I assure you. I would not want to cause you trouble, Miss Charlotte.” Nicholae stepped forward, tilting his head boyishly. “I meant no offense.”

She huffed out a breath while weighing her options. “If I agree to go, will you leave now?”

“You have my word.”

“Fine. Leave the details, and I’ll meet you on Friday.”

He smiled, immensely pleased. “Excellent!” Nicholae moved towards the door adjacent to the parking lot, stopping to lean close to her ear. “It will be a pleasure, Ms. Taylor.” His warm breath tickled her neck, which she tried very hard not to reveal, stepping neatly away.

“Good day, Mr. Dragomir.”

He nodded and left. Charlotte sighed in relief once she was alone, and turned towards her desk. She’d have to make sure to bring the daisies home with her. Her students had had enough questions when Spike had sent flowers. Attending the opera with a mysterious European…wouldn’t her mother have a field day with this?
~+~
Friday

With the Slayer and his Bit out gallivanting for the evening, Spike was left with little to do. He decided to pay a visit to Charlotte, since they hadn’t spoken since Sunday. He whistled the remainder of the song he’d been listening to as he came up the walk, and knocked on her door.

“Spike! It’s daylight!” she exclaimed, surprised.

He whistled appreciatively. “Awnings are a vampire’s friend. I’m going to have to drop by unannounced more often, pet. You look good enough to eat.”

She blushed and glanced away. Charlotte was wearing a full-length black satin spaghetti strap dress, her hair up in a chignon, and pearl studs in her ears.

“I’m actually on my way out to a date…I think,” she stated, her face twisting into a look of confusion.

“You think?” he teased.

She blushed again, and gave him a dirty look. “Well, yeah. I’m not sure whether it’s really about the music, or just an excuse…I’m meeting someone, to see ‘Madame Butterfly’. And I’ll be late if I don’t leave now,” Charlotte replied pointedly. She’d been en route to the door when he knocked, purse and keys in hand.

Spike tried to hide his disappointment. “Oh. Well, have fun, if you enjoy that sort of thing. Haven’t been in ages, myself.” He stepped back to allow her to close and lock the front door. “You, uh, prepared? In case this bloke turns out to be…unpleasant?”

“Cell phone and pepper spray in here,” she replied, patting her handbag. “I’m driving myself, and there will be lots of people. I’ll be fine, Spike.”

“Is it wrong that I want to look out for my friend?” he asked, draping an arm across her shoulders as they strolled to her car. “I could tag along, just ‘til you’re inside…make sure he’s not a demon?”

Charlotte laughed. “He’s not a demon. Just a music lover. I appreciate the offer, though.”

“Fine, fine…I know when I’m not wanted,” he said, pretending to be hurt. They stopped beside her door and his hand slid down her arm to hers, which he squeezed affectionately. “Really, luv, you look gorgeous. He’s going to be knocked off his proverbial feet.”

“Thank you. It’s nice to get the confidence boost. I haven’t done this in a while. Well, I should go…”

Spike backed up a step. “Right. In you go…mind the skirt. Don’t want to slam it in the door. Call me when you get home, if you like. We’ll ‘dish’.”

Her lips twitched in amusement. “You’ve been hanging around Dawn too much. ‘Night, Spike.”

“Bye, luv.” He watched her speed out of the parking lot, then returned to the Viper. Maybe there’d be a decent flick at the movies. Covered parking lots really were handy.
~+~
Nicholae was standing by the door to the concert hall, dressed in a very sharp suit. Charlotte looked over her “date” as she ascended the stairs. She had to admit to herself that he was very attractive, if you liked the tall, dark, and handsome type (which she did). His grey eyes lit up with interest upon spotting her, sweeping over her from head to toe and back again. He reached for her free hand and kissed it.

“I am a lucky man, to have such a lovely companion tonight. Shall we?” he proposed, offering his arm.

Charlotte placed her hand on his bicep, accepting the role of “cultured woman” for the night. “Indeed. I’m looking forward to the performance.”

He looked down to her as they walked, appreciating the view down her dress her lack of height naturally afforded him. “Are you familiar with this opera?”

“Only with a couple of the arias. I used to participate in singing competitions, in high school. I’ve been meaning to ask you – where are you from?”

“Eastern Europe, originally, and a bit of everywhere. My family – they like to roam. I have seen much in my life.”

Charlotte held her dress up a couple inches as they walked up the stairs to the entrance of their section. Nicholae had box seats. “We did something similar, though only in summer. We started seeing the rest of the U.S. when I was 5. I enjoy traveling, though a teacher’s salary doesn’t afford me much of it nowadays. Do you prefer living here, or back across the Atlantic?”

He held open the door to their box for her, then allowed her to pick her seat first. Nicholae chuckled a little, considering the question. “It depends on my mood, I guess you could say. There are many opportunities available here, of course, but this country is still also so young. There are times I miss the feel of…history. Can you see well enough?”

She turned her head towards him and smiled. “Oh, yes. I’m fine. It’s really all in the hearing, though, yes? Music is just as able to reach the blind, or the deaf…because you can feel it.”

He hummed in agreement. “Never let passion fade from you, sweet Charlotte. It will serve your work well, just as life.” The lights flashed off and on, indicating that everyone should take their seats, and the orchestra started to play the introduction…
~+~
“Connor, rotate your hip into the punch. You’re getting sloppy tonight.”

The young man sent the demon flying into some trash cans, before stalking over to it and beheading the foul thing with his ax. “Don’t need the commentary, Mr. Miyagi.”

“Huh?” Angel asked, confused.

“Never mind…did you watch any television in the ‘80s?”

Angel walked over and kicked the dead demon’s foot. “Uh, not really. I was living off rats that decade.”

“Wh- - know what? I don’t want to know. So, is that the last one we were looking for?” Connor wiped the blood off his axe.

“I think so. These cases have been kinda…”

“Lame? Seriously. Seems anything interesting either left town, or you’ve killed it already. Do you think Wolfram and Hart will rebuild in L.A.?”

“Considering that the last time, it only took them a week to replace an entire building of employees…yeah, I think they’ll be back. Besides, I’m not that lucky. The Senior Partners aren’t going to leave me alone indefinitely.”

“Give it a week. I’m sure somebody you’ve pissed off will come along to settle an old grudge,” the youth suggested. They’d fallen into this sarcastic banter thing, and Connor found it was lots of fun teasing the old man. And it kept him from getting too broody, with was also a bonus.

“I haven’t made that many enemies,” Angel tried to insist. Connor just gave him a disbelieving look and kept walking.

“When are you seeing Nina?” Connor asked, changing the subject. He hopped over the door onto the passenger seat of the Plymouth while Angel moved into the driver’s seat.

At this, his father grinned. “Tomorrow. She’s already in L.A., but they needed time to take care of the house, after being away for a few weeks. She lives with her sister and niece. The full moon is this weekend, so Nina’s going to be using the cage in the basement. We need to check the door and locks.”

“Okay. Can you stop smiling? It’s disturbing.”

“Hey!”
~+~
Charlotte clapped as the final curtain closed. Nicholae touched her arm to get her attention.

“Perhaps we could go for coffee or dessert, and discuss the performance?”

She hedged, considering. “I…”

“Tomorrow is Saturday, so you do not have work, yes? It is not so very late, yet.”

“You’re right, it’s not…but not tonight. I actually have someone waiting for a call…”

“I see. Well, permit me to walk you to your car, then, and we will say goodnight. I hope you enjoyed the opera?” They moved out of the box into the crowded hallway.

“I did, very much. Thank you for inviting me, Nicholae. I hope your mother feels better soon.”

His mother…right… “I’m sure it is just a cold, or something. You know, I have tickets for the summer concert season…perhaps tonight will not be our only outing?”

Charlotte smiled enigmatically. “Perhaps…”

It took a while to escape the crowded theater, but they made it to the parking lot. Charlotte had managed to find a close spot, so it wasn’t a far walk.

“Well, this is me.”

“Of course. It was a lovely evening, Charlotte. I hope to see you again soon.” Nicholae took her hand to kiss it, as she was now used to from him, only this time, he placed the kiss on the inside of her wrist in a manner that could only be described as ‘sensual’. She dropped her gaze and blushed.

He smiled to himself, pleased with her reaction, and backed away a few steps before turning and leaving. Charlotte exhaled to release the tension, then unlocked her door. Ben and Jerry’s was waiting at home.
~+~
The phone was ringing when she walked in the door to her apartment. “Hello?” she answered breathlessly.

“Were you running to the phone, or am I interrupting something?”

“I just got in the door, you perv. You actually think I put out on the first date?”

He chuckled in that low, sexy way of his. “I wouldn’t know, kitten. We’ve never officially ‘gone out’.”

“I’d be hitting you if you were here right now, you know that, right?” Her shoes got kicked off into the closet.

“Wouldn’t have it any other way, luv. So, how was the snore fest?”

Charlotte rolled her eyes. “It was not a ‘snore fest’! I know for a fact you enjoy classical music, William, so don’t give me that bunk. It was beautiful and emotional, just like it’s supposed to be.” She wedged the phone between her ear and shoulder as she reached back to unzip her dress. It slipped out as she fumbled with the zipper and hit the carpet. “Sorry! Dropped the phone. What did you say?”

“What were you doing?” he asked, curious.

She chewed her lip, debating whether to be honest. “Um…changing…”

“Oooo, so what’s under that gorgeous dress?”

Spike!

“Wot?! I’ve had a boring night, and you’re ‘hot’, as the bit would say. Can’t blame a bloke for asking,” he teased. “Come on, pet. Indulge the evil vamp.”

The dress was re-hung on its hanger, ready to go to the cleaners. “Ha! Like you’re evil! And I’m still not telling.”

“It’ll be worse if I guess…”

“Next topic, please,” she sang. There was also a hint of warning in her voice if he didn’t move on. Spike sighed indulgently and thought of a question.

“So, are you seeing whoever-he-was again?”

“I don’t know…maybe. He wants to see me again, but…I don’t know…My mother would probably be happy about it.”

“You don’t need to live for pleasing your mother, luv.”

“I know that, but sometimes I think she’s right…at least a little. Anyway, he only has my work number, so it’s my ball. And I have lots to do for the end of school, and some decisions to make for the summer, so…I’m not going to worry about it. What did you do tonight?”

“Saw a movie, went hunting in alleys…the usual. Horribly slow night, hence the boredom. Buffy and Dawn are still out, and Gramps is off with the sprog again. The hotel’s a bit of an echo chamber when no one’s here…hang on.”

“Ooookay…” Charlotte flopped back on the bed to roll her stockings off and waited.

“It was just Blue. Seems she had enough of ‘communing with the green’ and wants my company. You know how demanding gods can be,” Spike relayed.

“Right…I’ll let you go, then. I was going to take a bath soon, anyway. It’s been a long week.”

“Enjoy your soak, pet. Make sure to wash behind those ears.”

“Ha, ha…just go,” she insisted, laughing. He laughed along with her, and hung up the line.

Charlotte finished the last of her pint of Phish Food while the tub was filling, then settled in for a muscle-melting soak.
~+~
“Where is your leader? I wish to find something to kill,” Illyria intoned imperiously.

“He’s not my leader, Blue. I may have followed his idea, but the Poof is not my boss,” Spike clarified. As if he’d ever want to work for the brooding git.

“My mistake. Still, I wish to be entertained by committing more violence. You will accommodate me.”

“Not so fast, Your Highness. If you’re going to get along in our world, pet, then you’ve gotta start learning some matters. You’ll get a lot farther with people if you say ‘please’ now and then. As for your need for violence, just wander the streets. I’m sure something will turn up. You know what demons are what…”

She tilted her head curiously, studying him. “You do not want me here,” she finally said.

Spike shrugged noncommittally. “No offense…”

“Your opinion of me matters not. I will go. There is much of this world I have not seen since my days of rule.” She strode towards the door without a second glance, then stopped, at the threshold, and looked back over her shoulder. “Be well, vampire. You were an amusing pet.” That said, she left.

“Well, that was easy,” Spike muttered to himself. Maybe they’d see her again, maybe not, but at least she wasn’t holding a grudge. He wondered what Wesley would say about it.

Angel and Connor came in. “Was that Illyria I saw leaving?” the elder vampire asked.

“Yep. She’s off for parts unknown. Solve another case for the good of mankind?”

“We got the job done. What did you do tonight, or do I really want to know?” Angel replied.

Connor just rolled his eyes at their posturing. “I’m going to go check the cage.” At least in the basement, he didn’t have to listen to them bicker if he didn’t want to.

“Planning an interesting father/son bonding experience, Peaches?” It was just too easy goading the poof.

Angel sighed. “It’s for Nina. The full moon starts tomorrow night.”

“Ah…Wolf Girl is back, eh? And you just had the carpets cleaned…”

“Spike…look, I don’t give you a hard time about your girlfriends. Lay off mine,” Angel growled.

“Oh, I have nothin’ against the chit. I just find it fun making you think I do, Peaches. And just when I thought this night was going to be nothing but dull,” he replied cheerfully. He grinned in that way Angel always found infuriating.

“Why are you even still here?” the elder wondered in exasperation. He walked into his office and tried to close the door, but Spike got his foot in first, not ready to leave his grandsire alone.

“Infusing the place with my charming personality? Besides, my girls are here. I’m not about to wonder off, yet, Gramps.”

“Fine. At least do your…whatever you do…somewhere else. I’m busy.”

“You’re just no fun in our old age. Fine, then. I’ll just go give the boy my assistance.” Spike tossed the pen he’d been fiddling with at Angel, who caught it right as the pen fell apart and spilled ink on his shirt. His grandchilde was already out of sight, but he heard the bellowed “SPIKE!!” as clear as a bell.
~+~
Buffy stopped at Spike’s room to say hello. She paused at the door, like always, hesitating to knock.

“It’s open, pet,” he called from inside.

‘Stupid vampire senses.’ “Hey. Wasn’t sure you’d be in, since it’s the middle of the day for you, and all…” she said.

“Not much to do tonight. Have a seat, tell me about your evening.” He gestured to the other chair.

“Thanks. Um, it was alright. Dawnie had fun…it’s been her pick what to do, since she was still pretty young when we moved…at least in our memories, obviously,” she rambled. “Uh, I wanted you to know that we’ll be going back to Rome soon…for a little while, at least…Dawn’s gotta pack for her world travels, and I need to wrap things up there, assuming she gets accepted into a school here, of course. And I can find a job…’cause that’s necessary, too…”

“Buffy, it’s okay. I know you have obligations and a life, pet. Just do what you have to do. We’ll keep in touch, if you want to, that is.”

She smiled in relief. “I do, if you want to, too, of course. Well, it’s late for me, so I guess I’ll just…” she gestured towards the door.

“Right. Sweet dreams, luv, and say goodnight to Dawn for me.”

Buffy rose from her seat. “I will. Good night, Spike.” She smiled again, then made a hasty exit before she said anything dumb.

“Well, whadya know?” Spike murmured softly, once he was alone. “The Slayer wants to keep in touch.” He couldn’t help but be pleased at this turn of events, as cautious as his heart wanted to be nowadays. There wasn’t really a downside to having his girls move here. He’d take any spot in their lives they wanted to share, as long as he didn’t get relegated to ‘less than human’ again.
~+~
Andrew danced around the apartment, cleaning, wearing just his boxers. Summer in Rome was hot, after all! Weeks alone in the Summers-Wells residence had given him a freedom he hadn’t ever experienced before…hence the dancing. With any luck, the Slayer and her sister wouldn’t be back for weeks still. A guy could dream, right?