Chapter 14

Saturday…

The medium-height blonde walked into the Hyperion in the afternoon. Her artist’s eye took in the Art Deco details as she neared the front desk.

“Angel?” she called. Nina winced at the nervous tone in her voice.

Dawn exited the kitchen, hearing a woman’s voice in the lobby. “Hey, can I help you?” she asked in a friendly tone.

Nina jumped, surprised by the sudden voice. The hotel was so quiet. “Oh! I didn’t know Angel had hired new help. Is he around? ‘Cause, it’s still daylight…” she gestured at the windows.

“I assume so. I’m Dawn. I’m not working here, just visiting. Angel’s room is on the 3rd floor, towards the back,” she said with a shrug.

The blonde nodded. “Okay. Thanks.” She headed up the stairs in search of the vampire.

Buffy came out with a sandwich. “Did I hear you talking to someone?”

“Yeah, just some woman looking for Angel. Ready to go visit the last of my potential unis?” Dawn bounced with her usual excitement.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Yup. I can’t believe how much you’ve driven me around this week.”

“It’s all for a good cause!” Dawn insisted, as the sisters left the hotel.
~+~
There was a Post-it note on one of the doors saying ‘Just come in, Nina’, so she assumed it was the right room. She rapped lightly on the wood as she entered, not wanting to startle him awake. Closing the door to the suite as she glanced around, Nina could hear the shower running. ‘Good timing’, she thought with a grin. She dropped her bag on a chair and started stripping.
~+~
“Mmm, that was some welcome back. How many hours until moonrise?” she asked later, as they lie in bed.

“About two hours, give or take. My watch is on the dresser.”

Nina raised her head to see how far that would be to go, then dropped it back on his chest. “Nah, too comfy. I’ll trust the vampire to know when it gets dark. Wouldn’t mind some dinner, though.”

“I could call for take-out? We used to use this Chinese place all the time…” Angel’s voice trailed off as he remembered there wasn’t a “we” anymore.

“I’m sorry about your friends. They were nice people,” she said sincerely.

“The best,” he affirmed. “Not that following me did them any good. You can see why I arranged for you to get out of town,” he added, brooding.

Nina sighed. “I do, but they’d been with you for five years, right? I think they knew what they were getting in to at the end, and everybody always has a choice. I know you’re all about owning the guilt, but even you’re not responsible for everything, Angel.”

“Still…I never should have let them sign on with Wolfram and Hart,” he insisted

Nina lifted her head, pinning him with her blue eyes as she made her point. “Did they have to come if you did?”

“Well, no…” he conceded, looking away.

“And were they approached individually for those jobs without knowing if the others would sign on, too?”

“Well, basically…but--”

“Then, there was nothing for you to ‘allow’. They chose, plain and simple. As adults. And you chose to not let your son commit suicide. Altering all those memories was a bit extreme…” The man was clearly hopeless without a woman’s guidance in his life.

“It was part of the package. Doesn’t really matter now,” Angel sighed wearily.

She poked his chest with her nail to bring his attention back to what she was saying. “Anyway, you have a chance to start again, with Connor, and to honor the memories of those lost. Might as well make the best of it, hmm?”

He kissed her forehead and squeezed her a little tighter. “Thank you, for trying. I missed you, Nina.”

She kissed him back. “Nice to be missed. And you’ll be taking me out tomorrow just to show how much.”

“This is going to cost me, isn’t it?” he asked warily, but resigned to the fact.

“Yep! Now go order food. I’m a happier puppy with a full stomach.”
~+~
“Um, why is there growling coming from the basement?” Buffy asked Spike that evening.

“That’s just Nina – Peaches’ girlfriend. Nice girl, when she’s not trying to chew through the leather.” He rattled the statement off so nonchalantly, that it took a moment for the meaning to sink in.

Buffy’s eyes widened as the truth hit her. “Wait – you and Angel came to Rome like a month ago, and he had a girlfriend at the time? She knows to be pissed at him, right?” That was his Slayer – always jumping to the cause for womankind.

He nodded vigorously. “Oh, yeah…don’t worry about that one, pet. She’ll make sure his apology is appropriately expensive.”

Buffy nodded approvingly. “Well, good! It’s one thing to fly off to help an old friend…but I didn’t need help, and you two were just being nosy, like usual. You wouldn’t have paid people to have me followed, would you?” she asked suddenly, pinning him with that infamous glare.

Spike held up his hands in a placating gesture. “Not my style, luv. You know I only do my own personal stalking.”

“Well, at least there’s that,” she mumbled. Switching gears, “So, since Dawn and I only have a couple days left for this stay, we need to use our time well. How are you going to entertain us, Spike?”

“Ooo, can we go some place really cool?” Dawn begged.

“You haven’t seen enough of this city in the past week?!” he complained.

“Nope.” “We could always drive out further.”

Facing two pouty Summers’ faces was even more dangerous – Spike knew he was doomed. He had to think fast to come up with a location that wouldn’t drain his wallet. It wasn’t that he minded spoiling his girls, but he hadn’t exactly had a chance to replenish his funds with some of his well-hidden stash. Dawn would sniff out that secret in a heartbeat.

“Out to the car with both of you. I’ll think of something,” he sighed.

Buffy grinned and Dawn squealed. They each grabbed an arm and pulled the vampire outside. It had been like this every night since Sunday, except for last night. They came up with something they just had to do, and dragged the vampire along (not that he was complaining). It was a side of Buffy shared that he’d only seen glimpses of from the outside before, on those rare nights off with the Scoobies. The three of them laughed and teased and made up new inside jokes…it was more than he’d ever expected, if not hoped for. This free-spirited camaraderie was made even more special in contrast with the isolation of most of his year at Wolfram and Hart. Yes, Spike was a happy vampire…and he was going to miss them terribly.
~+~
Sunday

When Nina came downstairs the next morning, the kitchen was already inhabited by the girl she had met yesterday afternoon, and a petite blonde.

“Oh, hey! You must be Nina. Spike told us about you,” Buffy exclaimed, sounding genuinely friendly.

Nina looked lost. “I’m at a bit of a disadvantage, then, as I don’t know whom either of you really are,” she replied.

“Buffy,” the Slayer said, putting out her hand. “And this is my sister, Dawn.”

Understanding dawned on Nina’s face. “Ohhhh….the Summers girls…makes sense, now. Uh, what brings you to L.A.?” Did she follow Angel back from Italy?

“Well, the Council sent in a group of Slayers to help with the big apocalypse here, and discovered that Angel and Spike were right in the middle of it. Buffy got word, and Giles – her boss – wanted the situation checked out by people who know our vampires, cuz Giles hardly trusts anybody…anyway, Buffy wanted to see that Spike’s alive for herself, and me, too, so…we came,” Dawn rambled.

“And we used to live in L.A., so we’ve been reacquainting ourselves with the town…”

“And American food – yum! – and movies…” Now they were finishing each other’s sentences in their haste to put Nina at ease.

“And stuff, and Dawn wants to go to school here, so we’ve been looking at colleges…”

“But Angel hasn’t been hanging with us, like, at all, so your turf is safe,” the teen assured. Buffy nodded along vigorously.

Nina’s gaze had been bouncing back and forth between the sisters as they babbled. “Uh, right…okay…well, it’s nice meeting you both. Is there anything decent in here for breakfast? The transformation gives me one hell of an appetite!” Well, they were goofy, but seemed okay enough. Seeing the infamous Buffy now, Nina couldn’t really see her and Angel together. Oh, the Slayer was definitely pretty enough, but to look at the two as a couple, you’d never say that they fit. Maybe that was just her artist’s mind looking for symmetry…

The Summers women jumped on the distraction, showing Nina what they’d bought to eat here and encouraging her to help herself to whatever. It wasn’t a big deal to Dawn, but she knew her sister had been nervous about meeting Angel’s current flame. Buffy was the type of girl who would torture herself with comparisons to her ex’s other loves if she was allowed to, so Dawn wasn’t going to allow it.

They chatted with Nina over breakfast. The trio was soon feeling like old friends, and the werewolf found a sense of relief that her stay for the weekend wouldn’t be awkward. Buffy even promised to e-mail her contact info for Oz, in the hopes that the change of the wolf could be controlled.

“Which reminds me – I haven’t called Giles, yet, to let him know about our flight plans,” Buffy stated.

“Do you really want to?” Dawn asked. “He’s just going to grill you on what’s been happening here.”

The Slayer pouted. “I know…maybe I should just wait to call until we’re in London on layover. He won’t have enough time for it.”

“Are you required to check in with him?” Nina wondered, confused.

“No…Giles had been my Watcher since I was 16, and he’s kind of a father figure, too, which makes him think he has the right to know everything about my life. He…worries…” Buffy tried to explain.

“Ohhh, about the vampire thing? Well, you’re the Slayer…I think you can handle it by now, right?” Nina said simply, not seeing the problem.

“Yup. You wouldn’t believe what my sister has faced just doing her job. A love life is a piece of cake in comparison,” Dawn added supportively.

Buffy snorted a laugh. “You’d think so. Don’t mind my little sister…she thinks she’s funny. Hey, how about we hit the shops? I haven’t browsed in…almost a week.”

Nina smiled. “Works for me. And I’ve got Angel’s credit card.”

“Nice,” the sisters approved.
~+~
“Oh! I can’t believe I forgot to call Char! Thanks for the shopping!” Dawn blurted out, upon returning to the hotel. She raced up to her room to put her bags down, and have a little privacy. Dawn threw her purchases on the bed and whipped out her phone.

Yellow!” greeted the overly cheerful voice.

“Charlotte?”

“Yeah, Dawn, what’s up? I’m kinda busy…” Charlotte sounded distracted.

“Oh, well, we’re flying out on Tuesday, so I wanted you to know so I can say goodbye. I need to pack up for my travels, and Buffy’s going to start packing up the apartment…are you going to be okay to come by tomorrow?” Dawn asked hopefully.

“Uh, I guess I can drop by for a bit after work. Is this going to be a just you-and-me thing?” Charlotte asked.

“Does it need to be?” wondered the perceptive teen. “What’s up?” I could swear there’s something she’s not telling me.

“Nothing, much…I just have a lot to do, with school ending, so my time’s limited…” Charlotte hedged.

“Quality time over quantity?” Dawn filled in.

“Exactly. So, we can grab a burger or something, and you’ll still have plenty of time for your sister and Spike. Listen, I gotta go, but I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon.”

“Okay…” Dawn heard the click of the phone being hung up before she could say any more. ‘Weird’.
~+~
“Ah, where was I before your friend called?” Nicholae asked Charlotte. They were at a café in a different part of town.

“Russian composers.”

“Ah, yes…” Nicholae continued his dissertation on Russian musical influences.
~+~
“Shopping again, Bit?” Spike asked, looking in on her as she folded her purchases away.

“Buffy and Nina’s idea. I just reaped the benefits,” she replied with a grin.

He shook his head, smiling. “So, were you talking to yourself, or on the phone again to one of your mates?”

“Just Charlotte. I needed to let her know we’re leaving.”

“Oh? Is she coming by, then?” he asked casually.

Shaking her head, Dawn replied, “Not today. She said she was busy…kind of evasive, actually. It was weird. Anyway, she said she’ll pop over tomorrow afternoon and take me for a bite.”

“Oh. Well, she does have work…” he conceded, trying not to sound disappointed.

“Yup. And summer plans to make. I’m sure she’s fine, Spike.”

He nodded, but appeared to be lost in thought.
~+~
Nicholae walked Charlotte to her door. “Well, this is me. Thanks for lunch. Perhaps we’ll even talk about more than music next time,” she said.

He stepped closer. “Mmm, I like that…’next time’. You’ve made my time in this city much less lonely, Charlotte.” He slowly raised a hand to caress her cheek. “When can I see you again?”

“I-I don’t know…This is the last week of school, so…” Why did I let him take me back to my apartment?

He smiled gently, his voice soft, like he was dealing with a skittish animal. “I understand. I will call you in a couple days and see how you are doing, yes?”

“Okay,” she said breathily. I am not admitting that his voice turns me to jello!

Nicholae pressed a soft, slow kiss to her burning cheek. “Until then. Good night, Charlotte.”

She leaned against the door, watching him walk away, then shook her head and went inside. Maybe a swim would clear her head…

Ten laps in, and a pair of black boots greeted her at the edge when she lifted her head to breathe. Charlotte pulled up short, causing her body to sink and dunk her under, before she started wading.

“What are you doing here?” she asked crossly.

“Well, hello to you, too, luv. What’s got your knickers in a twist?” Spike retorted.

“Nothing. You just surprised me and broke my rhythm, is all. So, what are you doing here?” she said more nicely.

Spike crouched down to be closer to eye level with his friend. “Dawn was concerned, about how you sounded on the phone…”

“Then why didn’t Dawn come down here, herself?”

He rolled his eyes. “Alright, so she wasn’t that concerned, but she did say you sounded weird…”

Charlotte interrupted him. “She interrupted a conversation when she called, so I wanted to make it quick. No big mystery. Is that all, Spike? I’m kind of in the middle of a set.”

His head tilted, giving her that “trying to figure you out” look. “What’s with you? Since when are you trying to give me the brush off?”

“I can’t be expected to just be available whenever you want to drop by, Spike. I have a life, and it existed before I met you, too.”

“So, what? I have to make appointments now? Charlotte!” She was starting to really piss him off.

She shrugged. “Nothing so formal, but calling first would be good.” Charlotte waded over to the ladder and climbed out of the pool, walked over to her towel, and started drying off. Spike stood there, mouth slightly dropped, not believing that she was just ignoring him.

“I thought we were friends,” he ground out.

She turned to look at him, her expression unfathomable. “We are, silly. I’m just busy. Besides, I figured you’d be with Buffy and Dawn, since they’re leaving.” Charlotte wrapped the towel around her waist and picked up her keys. She walked over to the gate and held it open.

Spike stalked through the open door, then whirled around to face her. “I will be, but I wanted to see you, too. Sorry, my mistake. I didn’t realize this was Bitch Day.”

“Now, William, do we really have to resort to name calling? I’ll see you tomorrow when I pick up Dawn.” Charlotte entered her apartment and started to close the door. “Good night.”

Spike was left staring at the closed door wondering what the hell just happened? She’d practically been like a pod person, or at least, it seemed that way to him. The muscle in his jaw ticked as he considered his options: A) He could bang on her door demanding an explanation about her attitude, or B) Forget tonight and hope she was back to normal tomorrow. The voice in his head that sounded an awful lot like Dawn said, “don’t be a Neanderthal”, and won out. Spike growled in frustration as he stomped back to his car to go meet up with his girls.

Unnoticed, Nicholae leaned around the corner, and smiled.