Chapter 17

Buffy couldn’t catch a break. She got back to Rome, only to find a request from Giles on her machine that she come up to the Slayer Academy ASAP to deal with a discipline problem. Then, Faith called while she was there to say that one of the Slayers had thought they saw Drusilla (based on a picture Giles had included in the new Slayer Guide) and would she come out to verify that since she’d had personal experience with the vamp in question? It turned out to be a false alarm, after a week of searching
Cleveland and hitting the demon bars for rumors. And then, Willow pleaded with her to come back to London on her way home to meet Willow’s new potential girlfriend.

To say she was exhausted was an understatement. And horribly jet-lagged.

“Andrew!!”

The little pest stuck his head out of the kitchen. “Yes, Boss?”

“Why does it look like there’s pasta sauce in my carpet?!”

“Because…there’s pasta sauce in the carpet?” he answered hesitantly, wincing in preparation for her attack.

“WHY is the stain still THERE?! No…know what? I don’t wanna know. I’m going to take a bath, then sleep for several hours, and it just BETTER be gone when I come out again, get me?”

“Perfectly clear,” he squeaked. Andrew dove back into the kitchen as she trudged down the hallway. He jumped when the bedroom door slammed. “Man, that girl needs a Midol,” he murmured, and started hunting for the cleaning supplies.
~+~

The next morning, Buffy felt more like herself. The apartment was empty when she came out in search of breakfast, and the living room carpet was back to pristine beige.

That’s more like it, she thought.

She rummaged for some cereal, then took her bowl to the picture window and sat watching the street below as she ate.

Today, I find an apartment in L.A. online, or I’ll never get this done. And since it was still mid-August, she even had time to sign up for a couple classes at a community college, too. What would Buffy Summers like to be? Giles would pay her unless she formally resigned, but did she just want to be a Slayer all her life? Even after a year, it still felt odd that she had the freedom to pursue her dreams…whatever they may be, now. Too old to be an Olympic figure skater. Ooo, maybe a fashion buyer! That could be fun, right…hunting down the latest greatest stuff. Something to get her discounts on designer shoes…

That was probably more up Cordelia’s alley. Buffy had never anticipated a trend, just been one of the first to jump on what she saw in a magazine. Stick with what you know, Slayer. Um, um, um…maybe something fighty?
~+~

“Ever get the feeling you’re being watched?” Connor asked his father as he entered the office.

Angel immediately looked concerned. “Why, have you seen anyone?”

“No…it’s just a feeling, like something on the edge of my consciousness. I look around, though, and nothing’s there. Nothing dangerous, anyway.” He shrugged, clearly confused about it. “You think it’s Wolfram and Hart?”

Angel considered, then shook his head. “No…they’d be much more overt, or you wouldn’t know anyone was there at all.”

“I don’t know. Maybe I’m just being paranoid. The campus is a lot more busy now, with school starting.”

“How are your classes? The professors?” the vampire asked eagerly.

The boy shrugged with youthful indifference. “They’re fine. We’ve barely started, Dad.”

“I know, I just want you to know I’m interested.” And I love you.

“It’s cool. Really. You’ve proved it all summer. Wanna grab a burger?”

“I don’t -.”

“Eat, I know. Don’t argue,” Connor added, smirking.

Angel was struck again by the similarity of expression with Darla when she’d been amused. Looks-wise, his son took after her side of the family a lot more than his.

“Okay. Let me leave Nina a note.”

“Dude, you are so whipped.”
~+~

September…

Buffy felt mischievously proud that she had been in L.A. setting up her place for two weeks without either vampire catching on that she was in town. It probably helped that Dawn didn’t even know, yet. Her cell number from the Council hadn’t changed, so her sister’s calls got through as normal. Willow and Giles knew – Willow provided help finding the property online, and Giles helped with the investment. Which she was insistent that she’d pay back, eventually.

That’s right, folks! Buffy Summers was a property owner. Someone must have been smiling down on her, because the only thing Giles had really grumbled about was the location, aka home of the two vampires. Something from college, or maybe Anya, must have stuck, as he’d been fairly impressed with her business proposal. Or maybe it was just that she’d thought to make one at all. Being blonde sucked sometimes.

Where was she? Oh, yeah…anyway, two weeks ago, Buffy had flown to Los Angeles with most of her belongings, seen the building in person, and signed the papers on the spot. The little former dance studio with an upstairs apartment was perfect for what she had in mind – a women’s defense studio. She could make her own hours teaching what she knew, and it worked as a perfect front in case the Slayers ever had to come here. And nobody would question the weapons on the walls, either. With Willow’s help by IM and phone calls, Buffy got the necessary permits out of the way, and started ordering paint and equipment. And found a sign maker. Couldn’t have a business without a sign!

Summers Defense Studio for Women, the billboard said out front in simple font. The upstairs two-bedroom apartment was still littered with boxes, but she’d managed to be on schedule for opening day in a week, so it was time to announce her presence. The first person Buffy notified was Dawn, by way of pictures in her email.

“Oh, my God, is that ours?!” Dawn squealed the second Buffy picked up the phone.

“Nice to talk to you, too, Dawn. I’m fine, how are you?” her sister sarcastically replied.

“Oh, hi. So? Are these pictures for real? Where are you?”

“Yes, yes, and L.A. I open in a week.”

“Eeee! This is so exciting! Have you found an apartment, yet, or are you living out of a hotel?”

“Eeew, no! So done with that, remember? It just so happens, that there’s a two-bedroom apartment above the studio. And we’re in a great location close enough to the rich people,” Buffy replied.

Dawn giggled. “You sound like Anya. Have you seen Spike, yet?”

“Um…no?”

“No!”

“Well…I wanted it to be a surprise, so I haven’t let anyone know that I’m here…except Willow and Giles, cuz they helped me get it.”

Buffy!” She could imagine her sister squirming.

“What? Is it so wrong that I want to look like I have a clue before putting myself out there again? I know what everyone thinks of me. ‘Buffy’s great at stopping an apocalypse, but pretty useless as an adult’.”

“Oh, Buffy, that’s not true…”

“It is! And it’s partly my fault because I was Denial Girl for so long, but it’s true. They all think I need someone to take care of me for the daily stuff…and I want to prove that I can do it without falling apart. Mom was so good at the practical crap, Dawnie…I want her to be proud of me.”

“Buffy…I’m sure this is going to go great. It’s a simple plan, right? Just take their money, add up the checks, and pay the bills, right? Do you want me to come home sooner? What about the apartment in Rome?”

“Andrew’s taking it over, and most of our boxes are here, I think. I haven’t had much time to go through anything. You keep enjoying your trip, though…unless you wanna come home?”

“I’m good…but it’ll probably be sooner than December. Unless I go to Asia?”

“Dawn…”

“I’m kidding. I’ll save that for when I have an interpreter. Hey, maybe I’ll take Japanese in college!”

“Whatever you want, Dawn,” Buffy laughed. “I miss you. You’re okay, right? Being safe?”

The teen rolled her eyes. “So safe, I’m boring. Give my love to Spike. I gotta go.”

“Okay, love you!” Click. “Bye to you, too, Dawn,” she sighed. “Now, to find something to wear.”
~+~

Nicholae walked Charlotte to her door, as usual.

“It was fun tonight, yes? I rather enjoyed listening to a new style of music.”

“I can’t believe you’d never listened to jazz. I thought it was everywhere,” she teased.

He shrugged. “Somehow, I missed it. Charlotte…”

“Hmm?” She looked up in question, meeting his eyes, and was caught.

“That’s it…my will is yours,” he murmured, holding her enthralled. “I want you to avoid Spike for now. Let him be concerned, but not so much that he becomes…persistent. You’ll do this?”

“Yes,” she replied in monotone.

“Good girl. Go inside, now. I release you.”

Charlotte blinked, and stuck her keys in the lock. “Thanks for dinner. See you around?”

“Of course. Good night, Charlotte.”

“’Night.”

Nicholae listened to her lock the door behind her and putter about the apartment, then walked off, feeling pleased. He didn’t enjoy subverting her will, but using her couldn’t be helped, since she was in such a perfect position to help his plan.

Soon, it will all be over.
~+~

Buffy fiddled with her outfit after getting out of the taxi. It’d taken her a half hour to decide what to wear, then another hour to shower and get ready to go out, without looking like she made a lot of effort. Her hair was down in loose waves, and she wore a bit of mascara and eyeliner, with pink gloss. After trying on half her wardrobe, she settled on a snug-fitting tee and long gauze skirt, with sandals. Comfy for the hot weather, neither sloppy nor slutty. Now, she stood on the curb of the Hyperion trying to get up the courage to just walk in. Finally, she settled for slowly opening the door and announcing her presence.

“Hello?” Buffy called. “Anybody home?” She didn’t feel any vampires. “Great. I get dressed up, and nobody’s even here.” She sighed. “Might as well make myself at home.”

Buffy walked into the kitchen and jumped, startled. She and Nina shrieked at the same time.

“Buffy?” “God, sorry!” They started to speak at the same time again, so Buffy waved the other blonde to go first.

“Did Angel know you were coming?”

The Slayer shook her head, her face flushing. “No, it was kinda spur of the moment. I was more looking for Spike…”

“Oh. He’s not around, either, I don’t think. Angel’s out with Connor, so Spike’s probably on a job. They trade off the demon hunting,” Nina supplied.

“Oh. Do you live here now?” she asked hesitantly.

The art student grinned. “Pretty much, you’d think. Not officially, though. We could, um, watch some TV, or something, if you wanna wait…”

“No, it’s cool. Who knows when he might be done slaying? I’ll just leave a note…if there’s some paper handy?”

“Sure. There’s a stack of legal pads in the office.”

Buffy followed the taller blonde into Angel’s office, where she was handed a pad and pen.

“Take your time. His room is still the same.”

“Thanks, Nina.” She nodded and left Buffy alone.

The Slayer had finally settled on the final version of her note and folded it to take upstairs, when the three men entered the hotel, the young guy covered head to toe in slime.

“You could have told me they explode,” he groused.

“And ruin your initiation on P’lotvik demons?” Spike retorted. “He did the same to me,” he added, pointing at Angel.

Angel held up his hands. “Hey, Wes started it. It just kind of became…tradition.”

“That is seriously gross!” Buffy interjected.

“Buffy?” the vampires said in surprise.

She gave a little wave. “Hi, guys. I’m in the neighborhood, apparently,” she said with a smile.

Connor rolled his eyes at his elders and shuddered. “I’ll be in the nearest shower,” he grumbled, and stalked off. The two vampires cracked up.

“You two are just plain mean,” she scolded.

“But it was bloody funny,” Spike giggled. Angel tried not to smile.

She didn’t think she’d even seen Angel laugh before and couldn’t help staring, then shook it off.

“Think we should have warned him it hardens under hot water?” Spike asked his conspirator.

“Too late, now,” Angel replied, and they started laughing again.

“Are you two okay?” Buffy asked, bewildered.

“Fine, why?” Angel replied.

“Never mind,” she muttered. Guess things do change. “Um, so, I wanted to say that I’m in L.A. now, and…I was going to leave you a note,” she blurted, placing it in Spike’s hand. “I don’t want to intrude on all the male bonding, so…”

“Pet, you don’t have to go-.”

“No, it’s okay. I should be getting back, anyway…things to do…I’ll catch you guys around, okay?” And hurried out the door.

“Still the same ol’ Slayer,” Spike muttered. He tucked the note in his pocket and looked to Angel. “Round of chess?”

The taller vampire shrugged. “Sure. It’ll take him that long to flake that crap off.”
~+~

God, I am such a spaz! Buffy cursed, slowing her walking speed to hail a taxi. She might as well have been back in seventh grade and crushing on Kevin Hunt, for all the grace she just displayed.

“Mom, I wish you could tell me what to do,” she murmured. Her mother had clicked with Spike instantly, whereas Buffy had been floundering from day one. She only had to see him to be knocked off balance. “I suck.”

Finally managing to get a cab, she gave him the address of her new place and slumped in the seat, pouting.