Chapter 19

October 2004

“The plan happens tomorrow night,” Nicholae announced to his apprentice.

“Isn’t that Halloween, Master?”

He nodded. “It is. A festival day, back home. Most demons take the night off, now that it has become such a commercial occasion for the humans. Well,” he chuckled. “The ones that respect traditions, that is. The young and foolish…well, that is another train of thought. It is said that the night of Halloween is the easiest for those who’ve passed to the spiritual realm to cross over. The dead to walk amongst the living. And I have grown tired of planning, young one…there is nothing left to do but carry out what has been set in motion. You remember your instructions?”

“Yes, Master. I have committed everything to memory and only awaited your permission.”

“Well done. You know what you have to do tomorrow.”

~+~

Sunday, October 31st, 2004

Connor walked through the campus quad, the afternoon sun warm for fall. He’d just finished taking a break from studying in the school dining room, and was on the way back to his dorm. As usual when the weather was good, students were milling about, sitting under trees, tossing a ball around…

“Hey, catch!”

Connor reacted on autopilot, catching the small ball in his quick hands. It puffed fine dust in his face as the surface gave slightly with impact. He blinked twice, feeling strange.

“Thanks,” a young man said. “You’re a big help.” He caught Connor as the teen swayed on his feet. Students gave a parting glance in their direction. “My friend had one too many. Starting the party early, you know?”

They rolled their eyes knowingly and turned back to whatever they’d been doing. All too easy, the apprentice thought. Connor was fast sleep by the time they reached his van. He hoisted the teen into the cargo area and shut the door. Phase 1 of his master’s plan was complete.

~+~

There was a knock on Charlotte’s door at the same time, across town. She opened it to find a courier standing there.

“Miss Taylor?”

“Yes…”

He extended a clipboard to her. “Sign here, please.”

“What exactly am I signing for?” she wondered, as she wrote her name on the delivery slip.

“Here,” he replied, handing her a medium sized box. “I just drop ‘em off, ma’am. Don’t know the contents. Have a nice Halloween.”

“Thanks…” she replied distractedly, shutting the door. There was an envelope taped to the box. She set the box on the coffee table and opened the letter.

Dear Charlotte,

I’m having a Halloween party at my home tonight. I took the liberty of selecting something for you to wear. I think it will be exquisite on you. A car will pick you up at 7:00.

Look forward to seeing you,

Nicholae


Charlotte shook her head. Rich men and their eccentricities. Normally, she’d bristle at the thought of being dressed up by someone else, but Nicholae had never been anything but a gentleman around her. And he did have great taste. Curious, she tore through the brown paper wrapping the box and lifted the lid off. Packed carefully in layers of tissue paper was a white silk Regency-style gown.

She cooed in awe as she lifted the dress out of the box. It was pure white, like fresh snow. Sheer cap sleeves connected to an embroidered empire bodice, the skirt curving in slightly at the natural waist. It was composed of two layers, sheer over silk satin, so that the shine of the under-layer would just barely shimmer through. Charlotte carefully laid the dress on her sofa before looking in the box to see if there were accessories. She found a pair of soft kid slippers in her shoe size.

It was a generous gift, once she wasn’t sure she should accept. She had no other plans, though, and it might be nice if there were a bit of dancing at the party…

“Guess you’ve made up your mind, then,” she teased herself.

Well, if she was going to do this dress justice, she better shower and start getting ready.

~+~

The driver arrived promptly at 7:00. Charlotte’s eyes widened on sight of the Bentley in the parking lot. She knew Nicholae was comfortably well off, but he’d never flaunted his wealth before.

“Is this Mr. Dragomir’s car?” she asked.

“Yes, miss. Are you comfortable?”

“Yes. It’s quite…luxurious.” Indeed, Charlotte had never felt leather so soft before. “Is it far to our destination?”

“Not very. Just up in the hills, miss.”

They drove up into one of L.A’s most exclusive areas, where walls and gates and tall trees protected every house. Privacy was extremely valued. Finally, they turned down a private narrow drive that opened up into a courtyard…for an amazing house. Her jaw dropped. It was huge, and looked more like a castle. There were no other cars here, though…

“Am I the first guest?” she asked the driver, as they stopped in front of the entrance.

“I don’t know, miss.”

A young man in a white shirt and black vest and pants came down the steps to open her door. Charlotte took his offered hand and carefully exited the car, making sure not to step on the hem of her long dress.

“Good evening, Miss Taylor. Mr. Dragomir is waiting for you.”

She followed the servant as he opened the front door for her and offered to take her coat in the foyer. He left just as she heard another man’s footsteps on the marble tile.

“My, you are a vision of loveliness,” Nicholae murmured, entering from another room. The foyer was a massive hall with many exits. Charlotte felt she could get lost in the place.

“Thank you. Are there many people here, yet? I didn’t see any other cars out front,” she replied.

He came into the light, wearing turn-of-the-century formal attire, and kissed her hand. “I must confess that I lured you here with a ruse. I was unsure you would attend if you knew it would be just you and I. May I show you my home?”

“You didn’t have to go to all this trouble just to have dinner with me, Nicholae. I enjoy your company. This dress, though…it is too generous a gift.”

“Nonsense. You are a beautiful woman, who should wear beautiful things. Like this,” he rebutted, pulling a jewelry case out of his coat pocket. He lifted the lid, showing her an exquisite antique necklace with sapphires.

Charlotte gasped. She shook her head. “I can’t accept that, it’s too much. Nicholae…”

“Just for tonight. Please. The piece is on loan, if that comforts you. The blue goes so well with your eyes, yes?”

“Well…” It really was beautiful, and how many times in her life would she get to wear something so fine? Charlotte sighed in defeat. “Just for tonight.”

“Excellent. If you would turn?”

She complied, turning her back to him. Her hair was up in ringlets, off her neck, so it was a simple matter of clasping the necklace on. She shivered as his fingers brushed the fine hairs at her nape. The pendant dipped low. It would have slipped under her neckline, if the dress hadn’t been so low cut. Charlotte had felt a bit self-conscious when she looked in the mirror at home, on her first glimpse of how much cleavage she had on display. She’d seen enough pictures to know the scoop was common for evening dresses of the time, but she still felt…on display.

“Perfect. May I escort you to dinner now?” Nicholae asked.

Charlotte nodded, slipping her hand into the crook of his elbow. He led her into a ballroom with a table for two decked out in candles and two covered plates.

“You really went all out tonight. Trying to seduce me?” she quipped.

He smiled enigmatically. “Merely celebrating a holiday with a beautiful woman. I have not entertained in a long time. I thought you were special the first time I saw you. Have I told you that?”

She blushed. “Not that I recall. So, uh, there’s food?”

Nicholae laughed, and led her towards the table. “Indeed. A feast for two.”

~+~

Connor groaned groggily, feeling the sleeping powder wear off. He tried to move, only to discover he was chained to a table.

“Oh, not good.”

As his eyes adjusted to the semi-darkness, he saw that he was suspended over some kind of tank. The liquid below didn’t look like water.

“Just great,” he muttered. “Hello?” he called, his voice echoing in the space.

“You’re awake a little ahead of schedule. Doesn’t matter, though. You’re not breaking those chains.” The guy that tossed him the ball at school stepped out of the shadows.

“You. What the hell do you want?” Connor growled.

“Me? Nothing. It’s not my plan. Don’t worry. You’re perfectly safe as long as your father comes through in time.”

Always leads back to Angel. “Heh, you have no idea how pissed he’s going to be. You’re as good as dead, buddy.”

The guy just smirked. “It’s not me he’s going to be after. Besides, you’re not even hurt, yet. Just stay comfy.” He walked off, leaving Connor alone in the warehouse.

“Hey! HEY!” Great.

~+~

Nicholae subtly checked his watch as they finished dessert. “Would you care to dance, Charlotte?” He used a small remote to turn on some music from a hidden system.

“A waltz, hmm?” she replied teasingly.

He smiled in return. “Fitting, don’t you think?”

“Amazingly, yes.” She took his hand as she rose from her seat and allowed herself to be led to his chosen spot.

They naturally fell into step, in the traditional hold. Charlotte was drawn into his gaze as they danced, everything but their steps and the music fading away. Nicholae led her through complicated turns she didn’t know, as if she was hypnotized and bending to his will, like he was weaving a spell. When the music finally stopped, she was out of breath, her breasts rising and falling against her gown, flushed.

He kissed her. Kissed her lips, her cheek, behind her ear, her throat…she felt a sting, then the world went black.

~+~

Summers Defense Studio was open for Halloween evening, but not for classes. Buffy and her friends were handing out candy. The Slayer was dressed in a tee-shirt and overalls, looking like a gap-toothed kid, with pigtails. Spike had carried her television downstairs so they could watch horror movies while waiting for children to come by. Angel and Nina were seated on the sofa in the corner.

“Enough with the necking, you two!” Buffy teased. “This is a PG zone.”

“We weren’t ‘necking’,” Angel grumbled. It’d taken a lot of convincing to get him to take a night off.

“Will you two shut up?! The best part’s coming up,” Spike complained, staring at the TV. He collapsed into giggles when the bad guy on the screen took another victim. “Horror movie people are so stupid…hee hee…the dumb blonde always gets it first!”

“Is there any movie that does scare you?” Buffy asked sarcastically.

Spike thought about. “’Look Who’s Talking’. Talking babies are just bloody disturbing.”

The two women looked at him like he was crazy, while Angel nodded in agreement.

A sudden twang against the outside wall interrupted conversation, the vampires jumping up to see what had made the noise.

“What the hell?” Buffy stated, seeing a note stuck to her wall with an arrow. “Did we enter ‘Robin Hood’ and no one told me?”

Spike wrenched the arrowhead out of the wall and read the name on the scroll. “It’s for you,” handing it to Angel.

The older vampire’s brow furrowed in confusion as he took the paper inside and unfurled it. His expression changed from confusion to anger as his brown eyes scanned the page.

Angel,

I have come to collect a debt. Meet me at the enclosed address in one hour. Two lives are at stake.

Follow my instructions, and you will learn the whereabouts of your son and Miss Taylor.

Come alone.

Sincerely,

N.D.


The address below the signed initials was in the warehouse district. Angel’s fist tightened on the note as he turned and strode out the door towards the Plymouth. The others exchanged glances of confusion and followed him.

“Angel!” Nina called.

He stopped long enough to toss the balled-up paper to Spike and sped off.

“What the hell’s going on?” Buffy demanded to know. She watched Spike read the note, his jaw clenching as he learned what it said. “Spike?”

“I need to leave.”

Buffy grabbed his arm as he started to walk to his car. “Tell me what’s going on. If there’s something to be slayed, I’m coming with you.”

Spike gently removed her fingers from his arm. “It’s my responsibility, pet. It doesn’t concern you.”

“It does concern me when you look pissed off and worried, after Angel takes off for God-knows-where!”

He growled to himself, before answering, “Charlotte’s in trouble, alright? And it’s my fault.”

“Spike…”

“Go back inside and continue passing out treats to the kiddies, Slayer. This isn’t your fight.” In the time it took him to unlock the door and sit down in his seat, Buffy was around the other side and getting in. “Damnit, Buffy!”

She tossed her keys to the bewildered Nina. “Lock up if it gets late, ‘kay?” She turned to Spike as she fastened the seatbelt. “I’m coming with you, so just deal.”

Bloody women. “Fine,” he snapped. The Viper roared to life, as Spike shifted into reverse and peeled out backwards, then shot out into traffic towards the warehouse district.

Buffy clutched the armrest with a death grip.

~+~

Charlotte awakened on a bed of dark grey silk. She felt weak and woozy.

“Nicholae?” she called. “What’s going on?”

He came out of a side room in different clothes, dressed in all black. “I have some business to attend to tonight.” He paused, gazing at her wistfully. “You really do look lovely.” He sat down on the edge of the bed, next to her.

“Nicholae, you’re making me nervous…”

“Shhh, dear…there’s no need to fret,” he interrupted, speaking soothingly. His gray eyes locked onto hers, drawing her in. “That’s my good girl…”

“What…” she gasped, unsure, afraid.

“You have a destiny, Charlotte. You look so much like my little sister, you know. She was taken from me, many years ago, and now I need to go face her killer. But before I do, I want to give you a gift.”

“A gift?” she asked dazedly. Her eyes widened in disbelief and horror as she watched his face change to a vampire’s ridges. “No, no…that’s not possible. I’ve seen you in sunlight!”

Nicholae trapped her between his arms as she attempted to flee. “Temporary protection spells. Magic can accomplish many things. And now, it’s time for you to sleep.”

“No…” she whispered, protesting weakly against his thrall.

There was nothing she could do to prevent his fangs piercing her throat again.

~+~

Angel arrived at the address, peering out the car at his surroundings before getting out of the vehicle, senses alert. He grabbed a sword out of the trunk and stuck a stake in his pocket, unsure what kind of foe he was facing. They’d pay for taking his son, painfully if they’d harmed one hair on his head. Angel entered an empty warehouse, and light flooded the space.

“Very prompt,” a voice said. “I’m glad you’re taking this seriously.”

“Show yourself and tell me where my son is,” Angel growled.

The man stepped onto the floor. Angel detected a vampire, reasonably old.

“Uh-uh…that’s not how this works. Let me tell you what is going to happen. You will receive the locations of your son and Miss Taylor only if and when you defeat me. At that time, you will have a choice – you will only have time to save one. Now, think carefully, Angel. Your son obviously means a great deal to you, but so does Miss Taylor to Spike. Can you best me quick enough?”

“Who are you?” Angel demanded, circling his opponent.

The tall, accented vampire tsked in disappointment. “You don’t recognize me, Angelus? I was only one of your victims. I was lucky, however, compared to what you did to my sister. About this tall, black hair to her waist, Romany?”

Angel flinched. Yes, he remembered that girl very well, if not her name.

“That’s not me anymore.”

“Maybe yes, maybe no, but we both know that killer is still within you, sire. She was the beloved daughter of our clan, and the horrors you enacted on her body before her death… Our curse was not punishment enough. We have kept eyes on you over the years, as you know…as you murdered two of our clan in Sunnydale, as you have caused pain to humans time and again, as you took over Wolfram and Hart! And so…” Nicholae suddenly struck with the sword he’d been concealing, slicing into Angel’s leg. “It is time for retribution!”

Angel stumbled backwards, clasping the wound on his thigh. Blood trickled down under his pant leg, the cut shallow. His opponent was making a point to not be underestimated, but Angel was relatively unharmed. He swung his favorite broadsword around to attack, and the battle was on.

Slice. Parry. Thrust. Deflect. The clash and clang of metal against metal echoed in the big empty chamber. What Nicholae lacked in age, he made up for in speed and agility. He was as tall as Angel, but leaner, his long limbs being able to move in ways the heavier vampire couldn’t. Conversely, Angel’s heavy blows rattled Nicholae’s teeth every time their swords connected. But killing his sire had never been the goal.

Angel soon picked up the patterns of his opponent. He feigned a move, the younger vampire reacting predictably, and slammed his fist into the vampire’s temple, instead. He stumbled to his knees, dropping the sword. Angel dropped his, choosing to strike blow after blow with his fists, and a final hard kick to the midsection. The younger vampire rolled to his side and spit up blood. Angel straddled him, the stake pressed to his chest.

Tell me where I can find them!”

“The addresses are in my shirt pocket,” Nicholae croaked. “I never killed, you know, unless I was being attacked…

Angel paused, the stake poised in the air. “The Gypsies…why didn’t they dust you on sight?”

“When I awoke, I was frantic to find my sister. We were close all our lives, and she was my first thought. I didn’t even realize what I was at first, until someone screamed upon seeing my face. I begged mercy as my family surrounded me, swearing eternal allegiance to the clan. And when I learned of Tania, I swore vengeance for her death, however long it took. And vengeance is close to a Gypsy’s heart. You may kill me now, but our message will live on,” he replied.

Angel wondered about that last ominous sentence, before plunging his stake into the vampire’s heart and dusting him. He dug his phone out of his pocket and pressed speed dial for Spike.

“Angel?”

“I have the address.” He recited it to his grandchilde and hung up. Connor needed him.

~+~

“Was that Angel?” Buffy asked, as Spike changed course. They’d been circling Angel’s location, waiting for news.

“Yeah.” Spike had been extremely quiet and tense.

“Where are we going?”

“Beverly Hills.”

“We’ll get there in time, Spike,” she said reassuringly.

What Buffy didn’t know is that Spike had been feeling Charlotte’s distress, and then nothing. He hadn’t realized it at first, focused on the movie and the others, but in the quiet of the car, it became obvious that there was a feeling he was now missing. And it worried the hell out of him.

Buffy couldn’t watch as they sped through the streets, far surpassing the legal limit. She was sure they would have crashed already if not for Spike’s vampire reflexes. When they got up into the hills, he pulled over and stopped.

“Are we there?” she asked.

“Need the map. I don’t know the residential streets.” He reached under the back of her seat for a Thomas Guide and flipped pages. A minute later, they were back on the road again.

“So, what’s the plan when we get there?”

“Find Charlotte and kill anything in the way.”

“Right…how else would we do it?” she mumbled. A non-talkative Spike made her nervous.

Buffy wasn’t prepared for the monstrosity that greeted them upon arrival.

“This place is freakin’ huge!”

~+~

Angel rushed into the warehouse where Connor was supposed to be, not knowing what he’d find.

“Connor!”

“Dad? I’m up here!”

Angel found him on a suspended table above a pool of some kind of acid. It smelled putrid. The table was suspended by a chain that was attached to a winch on a timer. It was counting down from ten minutes.

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah, just peachy! Hanging here has been loads of fun,” Connor replied sarcastically.

“Glad you’re comfortable. Let me find the controls.” Angel found the box and started testing buttons. The table dropped a couple inches.

“Dad!”

“Just testing! You’re fine.”

Angel fiddled with the controls again and managed to get the swing arm to bring the table back to the deck. He lowered it to the ground and started trying to break the chains.

“There’s some kind of lock?” Connor said.

“Right…I’ll be back.”

Connor rolled his eyes as Angel ran out to his car. He came back with tools, and soon the boy was free.

“So, who was after you, this time?”

“A Gypsy. They hold a really long grudge. Come on, Spike might need back-up.”

~+~

The door swung open to the mansion. The house was eerily quiet.

“I don’t sense and vampires or demons,” Buffy stated. She was carrying one of Spike’s swords.

“Neither do I. Still, keep your eyes peeled.”

The mansion was a maze. The size of the building meant that there were 20-30 rooms to search. They finally came upon the master bedroom.

“No,” Spike whispered, rushing to the bed. Buffy followed in and took in the scene.

Charlotte lay on the bed in a pristine white dress, her fair skin paler then normal. There was a blood trickle from the holes in her neck, and blood on her lips.

“I’m so sorry, Spike…” Buffy murmured truthfully.

He cradled the lukewarm body in his arms as he wept.