Author's Chapter Notes:
Just an epilogue after this. I thank all of you supporters so much for sticking with the story.
Chapter 29

Nina was waiting for them when he arrived, carrying the still unconscious Charlotte inside.

“Is she alright?”

“Yeah, just asleep.”

“Where are you going to put her?”

“The room next to ours. There’s a pair of chains in the trunk in the bedroom. Could you get those?” he asked.

“Yeah, of course.” Nina jogged up ahead of him. “Where are the others?”

“They’re coming.”

Charlotte didn’t stir during the jostling of three flights of stairs. Nina brought in the chains as Angel laid the thin girl on the bed. He looped the chains securely around the metal bed frame, then attached the cuffs to Charlotte’s wrists.

“Do you think she’ll flip out when she wakes up like that?” Nina asked.

“I don’t intend on her waking up alone. Listen…I wanted to talk to you about something…”

“That doesn’t sound good…” she replied. Angel took her hand and smiled reassuringly.

“No, not like that. I want to help her, really help her, and it might require traveling…a lot…to find the answer. And, I’d like you with me, but you don’t have to go…with school, and your niece, and…” He grimaced. “I’m not good at this.”

She giggled. “No, I get it, and I’m glad you want me along. So, I’ll try to be when I can. Smile, dummy. I like it when you play the hero.”

Angel grinned self-consciously. He sobered. “It’s not about that, though, just doing the right thing. Cleaning up my mess. The others are swamped, and this started with me in the first place, so…” He glanced down at Charlotte again. “I just hope I can do something. She nearly got away tonight.”

Nina went into the bathroom to wet a cloth to clean up Charlotte’s feet. “You think Spike’s gonna let you take charge?” she asked curiously.

“I think he’ll fight me on it, but I also think he’ll be relieved. You’ve seen how he’s been trying to balance Charlotte and Buffy. Spike’s never been good at focusing on more than one thing at a time.”

“I think he’s been doing his best.”

Angel shook his head. “I’m not denying that. I’m just saying he’s been trying to handle two full-time jobs, and there aren’t enough hours in the night. I hear the door downstairs. I’ll be back.”

“We’ll be fine,” she replied.

--------

“Interestin’ habit you got there, mate, takin’ off without a word,” Spike said, raring to pick a fight.

“Didn’t want to risk her waking up again,” Angel replied calmly.

“And you couldn’t just say, ‘Eh, let’s go?’”

“Spike…”

“Where’d you put her? Better not be that cage in the basement.”

“Of course, not! She’s upstairs, with Nina. Can we go in the office, please? There’s something I want to discuss.”

Spike’s face was one big frown as he followed Angel into the office.

------

Buffy Dawn, and Connor walked in just in time to see Spike follow Angel into the office and shut the door.

“That’s probably not a good sign,” Buffy said with a frown.

“I’m sure we’ll find out. Kitchen? I’m starving,” Dawn replied.

They tried to ignore the muffled yelling as Dawn made sandwiches. She arched her brow at Connor, knowing he could hear them if he wanted to, but he didn’t share.

------

“I want you to move on,” Angel started.

“What?”

“Spike, you’ve been using this as a crutch…an excuse, and it’s time to go forward.”

“You’re kicking me out?” the younger vampire responded, bewildered.

“Well…yeah. Not tonight, but, yeah. Look, I know I’m butting in, but I notice things. Find your own place, move in with Buffy…I don’t care, but it’s time.”

“Just because you say so…tonight.” Spike threw his hands up in exasperation. “God, you are unbelievable!”

“You can’t keep doing this push-me-pull-you impression, Spike! You and Buffy are just starting out, and Dawn looks up to you, strange as that is. You either have to commit to them as family, or take on Charlotte full time. You can’t do both, it already isn’t working.”

“And you intend to do what?”

“Fix the mess I started a hundred years ago,” Angel replied earnestly.

“What makes you think she’ll trust you?! I’m the only one she’s talked to at all this week.”

Angel remained calm. He didn’t want this to dissolve into a fight for possession. It wasn’t about that.

“She…the demon…needs a sire. If she’d awakened a proper childe, then she would have been taught, disciplined…but instead, she’s run amok in Charlotte’s body, and…”

“So? I can…”

“No, you can’t. The demon doesn’t respect you, Spike. She sees you with the same status, and by the bloodline, she’s right. Charlotte was working with me before she got sick.”

“What? When?”

“When it was quiet here. She wanted a neutral perspective,” Angel replied.

“She could have told me you were teaching her.”

“Probably. We didn’t talk about it. I hadn’t seen her for a while when you said she was missing, though.”

Spike shook his head, thinking. “Charlotte knew you’d figure out she was high. Same reason she avoided me. If I hadn’t-.”

“Stop. See, that’s where you’ve been killing yourself all week. Spike, you shouldn’t regret being in love, or falling in it…whatever. Point is, there was nothing wrong with you building a relationship with Buffy. You got the second chance. God knows how important I know that is…”

“Yeah…” He tilted his head back and exhaled. “So, what…I forget about the problem…leave it to you…and go on my merry way?”

“I’m not asking you to forget, dumb ass. I’m saying you should do what’s best for all involved. And hopefully, finding a cure for her won’t take too long.”

“Hopefully…”

“Spike…we were already running out of answers here. The answer is elsewhere. Do you really see Buffy being happy running all over the world with you while you dote on Charlotte 24/7? I already talked to Nina, and she’s onboard with this. What’s the alternative, shipping her off to Giles?”

“God, no…We don’t even know what happened to that Slayer, Dana. Promise me, if you have to go to him, that you won’t let Charlotte out of your sight.”

Angel met his grandchilde’s unflinching gaze. “You have my word. She’s family and I mean to honor that.”

Spike sent the Summers’ home with a promise to call tomorrow. He wanted time alone to think

------

Next day…

Spike ended up sleeping later than he usually did in winter, due to staying up thinking all night. He sought out Charlotte as soon as he was dressed. Nina came out of the room as he approached the door.

“She doesn’t want to see you right now, Spike,” she said gently.

“Oh.” He turned to walk away, dejected.

“No, not like that!” she added, hastening to explain. “She doesn’t want to see anybody. She’s afraid she’ll hurt you.”

“Hurt me? What the bloody hell for?”

“I don’t know specifically. Charlotte was lucid this morning, but she asked to keep the chains on…I guess she feels she doesn’t have much control. I’m sorry, Spike.”

“I know, luv, not your fault. We’re all trying to muddle through best we can.” He sighed. “You’ll let me know if she changes her mind?”

Nina nodded. “Of course.”

------

Two weeks later…

Through Willow’s influence, Charlotte was receiving treatment at the coven in Devon. She and Angel stayed in a cottage off the grounds, as they didn’t allow the undead to be on the property. The coven had made an exception for him because of the soul, that he could be there when Charlotte came in, but that was as far as the invitation extended.

After a week, Charlotte was maintaining an hour of lucidity per day. During the rest of the sunlight hours, she was instructable, if not understandable. The nights were still hard. She slept chained to the bed. Angel sat with her through every nightmare, hoping there might be a clue muttered. Crayons had become her friend during quiet times. She drew dozens of pictures.

Every other day, Willow popped in to wash Charlotte’s hair. Combing through the tangles frustrated Charlotte, and she would become agitated. It was a small gift from Willow, something she enjoyed helping with. When Angel had brought up the problem, she had readily volunteered, then shared the story of Tara’s temporary insanity at the hands of Glory.

Angel still spent much of his time making calls and writing letters to any that might know of how to safely separate the demon from Charlotte. Preferably avoiding the dark arts.

-------

In Angel’s absence, Spike and Buffy made a conscious effort to keep Nina company. The co-ed had a busy schedule of her own, but she appreciated the effort. She planned to join Angel and Charlotte during Spring Break, wherever they might be by then.

Spike and Buffy were having an easier time of it now, obviously, though they were both aware that they couldn’t just coast through their relationship. Topics shoved in the past would have to be addressed if they wanted to get closer.

Spike found an apartment in a building of non-hostile half-demons. His new neighbors became new friends after he rid their apartment of a few demon spiders. Mrs. Plotski kept trying to feed him, insisting he was too skinny and bringing over casseroles. The fact that he was a vampire hadn’t seemed to register with her, but Spike enjoyed the attention.

They saw less of Dawn and Connor at the same time. Buffy went into typical overprotective mode. She met Dawn at the door one night as she came home.

“Where have you been? It’s 1:00 AM!”

“On a Saturday,” Dawn replied sarcastically. “I was at a party in Connor’s building, and no, I didn’t drink.”

“Really? Spike, smell her.”

“She didn’t have any alcohol, Buffy,” he replied, planted in front of the television.

“See? Can I go get ready for bed now?” Dawn said.

“What exactly is going on with you and Connor, huh? What do you really know about him?”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “Buffy, he’s cool, really. We have stuff in common.”

“Like naked stuff?”

“Buffy!”

“Pet, leave her alone. The pup knows what’ll happen if he hurts her. Angel and I talked to him months ago.”

“Oh, I feel better now. Nobody tells me anything! Dawn, do you even know where this boy came from? He’s not normal…”

“Well, duh, being the son of two vampires will do that for ya. Connor’s a good guy, okay?!”

“Two vampires?” Buffy repeated. “That’s impossible.”

“Prophecy kid,” Dawn replied. “Ask Angel for the big story some day.”

“Wait…” Buffy shook her head in denial. “Angel’s just his mentor, right? Right?”

“You still haven’t told her?” Dawn said to Spike.

He shrugged. “It hasn’t come up.”

“I think I’m getting a migraine,” Buffy muttered.

Dawn rolled her eyes and huffed, exasperated. “Buffy…Angel is Connor’s father. Darla was his mother. He’s mortal, he has a soul, he’s a good guy, ‘kay? I’m going to bed. ‘Night, Spike!”

“G’night, Niblet.” Buffy walked over and smacked him on the back of the head. “Ow! What’s that for?!”

“Angel and Darla, who I thought was dust, had a kid, and nobody thought to share?!”

He shrugged. “I didn’t know until last May, and I had to get the Poof drunk to get the whole tale. Is it really that big of a deal?”

“Yes! Maybe…I don’t know. Yes!” She plopped on the couch, pouting. “I just hate being left in the dark. It’s like a joke on poor dumb Buffy.”

Spike pulled her onto his lap. “Nobody thinks your dumb, luv. A dumb blonde couldn’t have defeated me, or any other of those Big Bads you faced.” He kissed her until she smiled again. “Connor is a good kid who’s come through a lot of shit surprisingly well. Dawn could do a lot worse.”

“She doesn’t have to hide it from me.”

“Aw, she’s just savoring somethin’ new. If there’s something to go public about, it won’t take them long. And…if you’re patient, she’ll tell you sooner.”

“How did you get so knowledgeable?”

He grinned. “Ate a therapist once. Guess somethin’ stuck.”

Buffy thumped his shoulder. “Ha, ha.”

------

June 2005…

Dear Spike,

Hey, I’m still able to write these letters. That’s something…
I’ve lost track of what country we’re in today. Angel is tireless in trying to cure me. I don’t know if it can be done…I doubt it…but it’s sweet of him to keep trying. I wanted to give him and Nina some privacy, so I’m writing to you.

Hope you and Buffy are doing well. And Dawn? I bet she’s at the beach every day since school’s out for summer. Making the boys crazy. Not sure how long it’s been since I saw all of you. Time doesn’t have much meaning these days. Well, you know…

I guess you can call me functionally insane. It still takes me a while to even out after the nightmares. The meds are helping me keep more time, though. Angel says I can’t wander by myself, in case I have an episode, but I’m okay in the places we stay.

It’s been a year since we met, I know that… I don’t feel like that girl anymore, but I remember. Bet I can still beat you at Chutes and Ladders.

Well, it’s getting dark, so I have to go.

All my best,

Charlotte Taylor




A/N: It was my running joke that Buffy didn't know Connor's origins, but now she finally does. I'll leave you guys to imagine whether D/C have gotten hot and heavy or not. :)