Chapter 9

Thursday continued…

What’s Buffy staring at? Willow wondered. She peered over in the same direction, and as the crowd parted, she spotted the bleached-blonde head and leather coat. Oh. No wonder she looks about to slay. He and his partner turned as they danced, and she saw that it was Charlotte, and they looked very cozy. Better to distract Buffy now…

“Hey, Buffy…I could really use a drink. All this dancing makes you thirsty, yeah?”

“Uh, yeah…sure, Will. Let’s go…” she replied distractedly. Willow took her friend by the arm and guided her towards the bar. Thankfully, there was a line, so she could keep Buffy there for a while.

Charlotte was dancing with her back to Spike, one of her arms curled up around his neck, the other hand on top of his. His arms were around her waist. His fingers played on her skin just under the hem of her top, and whenever she leaned her head over away from him, he would bend down and tease her bare neck with his cool breath, making the mark tingle. It was just dancing with a friend, but she couldn’t help feeling a little hot, and the neck thing was driving her crazy. Leave it to me to make a friend with a neck fetish.

He’d never danced with Buffy like this. She’d never allowed it. He’d danced with plenty of women that were prey over the years, just to get the blood going, but never with a friend. Well, he’d never had a friend that looked close to the age he did, before. Joyce or Dawn would be considered completely off-limits, unless for an innocent waltz. And he could close his eyes and imagine it was Buffy, only that wasn’t right. Similar height, similar size, but he respected Charlotte too much to use her like that, even if she’d probably expect him to pretend a little. She would understand like that, too, he realized. Wouldn’t hold it against him. The soul wouldn’t let him do it, though. Being with her is so easy…

The song switched to a slow one, and they broke apart by unspoken mutual agreement.

“I could use a soda. How about you?” she suggested.

He nodded, and followed her to the bar, staying close, his manner clearly protective to any who would look. Charlotte stepped up to the bar just in time to see Buffy accept her drink at the other side. The glare from the Slayer would have made most people shrivel into nothing. Wow…ouch.

She tipped her head back to speak to Spike. “Someone’s not too happy to see me tonight.”

“Hmm?” not understanding what she meant.

“Blonde, 5’3, kicks vampire butt…”

“Huh…wonder what her problem is? You’ve hardly even met,” he replied, confused.

“I think her problem has to do with who I’m with, dear. I’m half expecting her to pee on your leg,” Charlotte joked

“I think you’re exaggerating, pet. Dawn’s been bugging her by chattering on and on about you…just being the little sister pest she’s good at. Buffy’s been avoiding me ever since our little chat on Tuesday.”

“Okay…I bet if I kiss you, it’ll be plain on her face how much she hates it. Would that make you believe me?” she proposed.

“Charlie, luv…just let it go. Besides, the man’s here to take your order.”

Charlotte turned back around to the bartender. “Coke, please, light on the ice.” The bartender looked up to Spike next.

“Newcastle.”

“Shall we join the others and be social?” she asked, once they had their drinks.

“It’s your night, luv.”

So, Charlotte headed for the table they had seen Vi at. Seemed everybody else had wanted a break at the same time. There was only one available seat, along the wall, which she nudged Spike on to. And promptly sat on his lap.

“What are you doing?” he murmured in her ear.

“Just proving a point. Try to look like you don’t mind, okay?” she whispered back.

The mini-Slayers, of course, didn’t care – Vi and Rona being the only members of their group that had been in Sunnydale. Willow looked surprised, Dawn winked, and Buffy hadn’t noticed, yet. She was talking to one of the other girls.

“Watch once she spots us,” Charlotte whispered, her warm breath tickling his ear. “You know her expressions best, after all.”

“I don’t want to play any soddin’ games,” he muttered.

“It’s not a game, just a demonstration. It’s not like we’re going to do anything inappropriate.”

Okay, so he had to admit the Slayer was looking pissed off now that she had noticed. As Charlotte pretended to whisper in his ear, Buffy looked like she would be bursting into game face any second, if she had one. He knew the expression of watching the one you covet with someone else. He’d felt it on his own face many a night.

“That’s enough, pet. You’ve proved she’s not happy about it,” he whispered.

“Okay.” Charlotte stood up and said she was going to visit the ladies’ room, stroking the side of Spike’s face before she left.

Buffy was still staring at him, so he just arched a brow in silent challenge. She huffed, and turned away.
~+~
“Oh, my god! Did you see Buffy’s face?” Dawn asked her new friend, after following her to the restroom.

“A little bit. She didn’t enjoy my little demonstration?”

“Not a bit! I knew she still wanted to be with Spike. She just has to admit it.” Dawn touched up her lip gloss in the mirror. “Are there more plans to make her jealous?”

“Dawn, this isn’t high school. I just wanted to prove a point to Spike. Now, he knows there’s still something there on her part. The rest is up to him.”

When they left, Charlotte took the now empty chair next to Spike, and Dawn resumed her place by Buffy and Willow.

“Something on your mind, Buffy?” Dawn asked innocently.

“No. Um, I’ve rested long enough. I’m going to get back out there and dance.” She fled the table quickly, disappearing into the crowd. Where’s a vampire to slay when you need one?
~+~
“We have some time left, luv. Would you like to dance some more?” Spike asked.

“Sure, if you’re up to it,” Charlotte replied. He took her hand and led her out to join the crowd.

Dawn looked on as her friends took to the dance floor again, and smiled. She couldn’t remember last, when Spike had looked like he was having a good time. It made her regret her treatment of him again, that last year. If she hadn’t been so stubborn, they could have hung out like they used to, watched movies and ate ice cream. Well, at least she had him back now. And she knew she’d be able to get him to visit her over in Europe, too. Spike would be the best tour guide.

“It’s been an interesting week, eh, Willow?”

“Certainly has, Dawnie. Especially for Buffy, if how she’s acting is any indication. How have things really been in Rome?” she asked, concerned.

Dawn hastened to reassure their friend. “It’s been fine, Willow. Really. The drama is isolated to this trip…and seeing Spike and Angel again. I bet she’s already found a vampire out back to work out her issues on.”
~+~
“Nina…hey, it’s Angel…L.A.’s safe again, and, well, I’m alive, er, existing still…you know what I mean, so…I miss you. Call me back at the Hyperion. It’s on that list of numbers I gave you. Well…hope you’re having a good vacation…uh, bye.”

Angel hung up the phone and sighed. A master vampire for over 200 years, and he still got tongue-tied on the phone. The arrangements for Gunn and Wes had been taken care of. Wesley’s remains were currently en-route to his family, and Gunn was scheduled to be buried on Saturday. His old crew would be there for a service in the morning, and probably Anne, too. Angel didn’t begrudge them having it during daylight. He preferred to say his respects alone, anyway. Spike would probably insist on coming with, but there was nothing he could do about that.

They hadn’t heard from Illyria since she had left with that map. She probably wouldn’t show up again until the Slayers were gone. He didn’t blame her, wishing several times that he could escape the complaints about running out of toilet paper or food or hot water. He missed having Cordy and Wes to talk to. Lorne, too, even if the demon’s insight often made him uncomfortable; his presence was soothing. At least he had Connor to keep him grounded. They’d talked a lot over the past week about Connor’s restored memories, Angel’s past, and stories of the A.I. crew. His son wanted to know about the people who’d done their best to protect him, and talking helped him to sort where the new-old memories fit. It was helping Angel, too.
~+~
“Spike?” she asked, wrinkling up her nose at her glass.

“Hmm?”

Charlotte held up her half-finished Coke. “Does this smell like there’s rum in it?”

He took the glass and inhaled. “Yep. Did you order it that way?”

She shook her head, a few too many times. “Nope. And I was thirsty, so I chugged down half before I noticed. That explains why everything is starting to seem funny.” She giggled, then tried to keep a straight face, but the amused look he was giving her was making it hard to keep from laughing. “Stop it.”

“Stop what, pet?” he asked innocently.

“You’re going to make me laugh…and if I start, I’m not going to be able to stop.” She wobbled on her stool. “Oh, crap…see, this is why I said I don’t drink, cause I get drunk off of this much,” she added, holding up her fingers just a little ways apart.

“Okay, kitten…let’s get you home.” Spike stood, ready to go.

She tilted her head, looking up at him. “I don’t want to, yet. I just need some food. Then, I’ll be fine, except for the giggles.” And just thinking of the word ‘giggles’ sent Charlotte into another fit.

“I’ll go order you some chips. Stay put,” Spike said.

She saluted, then said “thank you”, and snickered again. He shook his head and walked towards the nearest waitress. By the time he got back with a basket of fries, the glass was empty.

“Charlotte, did you finish that rum and coke?” he scolded.

“No,” she said innocently. He arched a brow and looked pointedly at the empty glass within reach, and she caved. “I forgot. I was still thirsty!”

“Eat! Then I’m taking you home,” he said firmly.

“My car’s still at the hotel,” she reminded him.

“Well, I’m certainly not letting you drive.”

Charlotte munched happily on the fries. She kept trying not to giggle at Spike, who was watching her impatiently.

“Relax, Deadboy. You don’t have to hurry me home before I throw up or pass out, ‘cause I’m not gonna.”

He relaxed in his seat, letting her eat at her own pace. “I’m sorry.”

“For what? You didn’t make me the wrong drink, the bartender did. I’m a big girl, Spike. I can deal with the consequences. Some starch in my stomach, and I’ll sleep just fine.”

He grimaced. “It’s this pesky soul. Makes me worry about everything. Just take your time,” he added, embarrassed.

“I say it makes you a caring, considerate man who’s looking out for his tipsy friend. You know, I’m loose enough to tell you that if your Slayer can’t see what a sweet, loving, wonderful guy you are, then she’s an idiot, and doesn’t deserve you. You may have an ugly past, but that’s not all you are, Spike, and don’t ever forget it.” Charlotte finished off the last couple fries, and slowly stood up, trying not to get dizzy. The flabbergasted vampire was still seated. “I’m ready to go now, Spike,” she added gently.

He looked up at her, coming back to the present. “Uh, right…how are you feeling?”

“Very relaxed. Let’s say goodbye to the others, hmm?” She lightly grasped his hand to get him following her as she headed for the Slayer table. “Hey, guys, we’re taking off. I’ve got work in the morning.”

“It was nice getting to know you, Charlotte!” Vi enthused, coming around to give the shorter woman a hug.

“Good to meet you, too, Vi. Have a safe flight, girls. You’ll probably be at the airport by the time I get off work, so I’ll say good bye now.”

“Bye, Charlotte!” the girls chorused.

They ran into Willow and Dawn on the way out. “You’re leaving?” the teen complained.

“It’s 10:30, so yeah…I don’t get vacation for another few weeks, ya know,” Charlotte replied.

“Yeah, okay…those grown-up rules suck. See you back at the hotel, Spike.”

“Be good, Niblet. Red – always a pleasure.”

Once they had moved on, Willow shook her head in surprise. “Wow, he left without mentioning Buffy. I didn’t think Spike did that.”

“A lot can change in a year, Will. He’s not the lovesick puppy anymore. My big brother grew up,” Dawn replied.
~+~
Charlotte spotted a familiar face in a car mirror as they traversed the parking lot and leaned into Spike to whisper conspiratorially, “We have a shadow.” Then, she giggled again.

“We do, huh?” he asked, playing along.

“Mmm-hmm…wanna do somethin’ about it?” They stopped at the Viper, Spike waiting to hear her suggestion.

“As much of a kick as you’re getting out of this, luv, I think I’m going to say ‘no’. No games, remember?”

She pouted, turning her face up towards him. “You sure?” The pout became a sly grin as she stepped closer. “I could make it fun.”

He chuckled, and brushed a wisp of hair behind her ear. “I’m sure you could, pet, but I have a feelin’ the alcohol’s talking for you. Let’s get you home, yeah?”

She sighed, ducking under the arm holding the door open. “If we must.” Charlotte leaned back out before he could close it, and shouted, “Bye, Buffy!” She collapsed on the seat in full-out belly laughs as Spike walked around to his side.

“You enjoyed that way too much,” he accused, joining in on her laughter. It was infectious.

“She was hiding behind a car like a junior-high spy! Hee hee hee…I couldn’t just pass that up…ha ha ha…”

The laughing fit seemed to take most of what was left of her energy, and Charlotte was asleep by the time they got close to the Hyperion. Spike parked the Viper next to her car and tried to rouse her.

“Hey, pet…we’re back. It’s time for you to go home.”

“Mmmfph…” A few attempts at shaking her shoulder failed to wake her up, so he rounded the car and tried a more hands on approach.

“Charlotte…time to wake up, luv. You need to drive home tonight, remember?” He touched her face, trying to bring her to awareness.

Blue eyes barely opened. “Mmm…sleepy.”

Ah, screw it. She’ll wake up eventually, and then I’ll send her home. Spike picked her up out of the car, mindful of her head, and kicked the door shut. He carried the nearly limp girl up the stairs and to his room, only pausing to jostle her around so he could unlock his door. When he tried to lay her down on the bed, she didn’t want to let go of his neck.

“Shhh, luv. Nothing to worry about. I’m not going to run off. Just lie down and relax,” he coaxed, gently removing her arms from his person. She mewed in protest and grabbed the other pillow to wrap around. Not getting that back any time soon. Not that he minded having the scent of her perfume or shampoo on his pillow. It was comforting in a life that had often been lonely in recent times.

The vampire untied her shoes and placed them on the floor next to the bed, then pulled the sheet over her. Once her breathing slowed and evened out, evidence of deep sleep, he slipped out to run down to the kitchen for a meal.
~+~
Charlotte’s first thought was, This isn’t my bed. The next was Why am I still dressed? She sat up, trying to clear the blurriness of sleep from her eyes, and looked around the dark room. Light through the window shone on a platinum blonde head.

“Spike?”

“Hey, kitten. How are you feeling?” He turned on the lamp on the table.

“Thirsty,” she croaked. “What time is it?”

“About 3:00 AM. You conked out on the ride back.” He filled a glass in the bathroom and handed her the water.

“Thanks. 3 AM? Geeze, I have to get up in three hours…Sorry I hogged the bed.”

He waved a hand dismissively. “Don’t worry about it. Not my bedtime, yet, remember? Are you good to drive?”

“Yeah. I just need to splash some water on my face. Falling asleep with mascara on makes my eyes feel puffy.” She downed the rest of the glass, then walked into the bathroom and shut the door. Charlotte used the toilet, straightened her clothing, and freshened her face. Her hair was still up in a ponytail, so it looked decent enough to be out in public. “Ready,” she declared upon coming out.

“Shoes,” he said, handing them over.

“I think my purse is still in your car.”

“No problem. I’m parked next to you.” Spike gallantly opened the door and waved her through. “Ladies first.”

“A knight in black leather. Well, I can think of worse things,” she teased.

The hotel was quiet, so they slipped out unnoticed. Spike retrieved her bag from the floor of the car and passed it over.

“Thanks. I suppose to be fair, I’ll have to invite you to my new place some time.”

“I have to admit I’m curious. Have to check that it’s a safe neighborhood, too,” he replied. Always the protector.

She smiled and nodded. “Of course. Can’t be shirking on your hero duties.” Charlotte stepped forward to get a hug. “’Night, Spike.”

“Good night, luv. Sweet dreams,” he replied affectionately.

She backed the car out of the parking space, then waved, before leaving the garage. Left to his own devices, Spike decided to run a couple errands before sunrise.