a/n-thank you so much for all the reviews for this fiction, it has been so very much appreciated!! But by all means, keep 'em coming! :)
Chapter 15

"Vampire." Buffy announced smugly. She knew she shouldn't be enjoying this, but well, she just couldn't help herself.

With that startling revelation, Spike stalked towards them, all lethal grace and black leather. Scott picked himself up from the ground and attempted to make a run for it, but Spike caught him easily before he'd even taken five steps, wrenching him back around. Spike cast a quick questioning glance in Buffy's direction, and she gave him an imperceptible nod. With an acknowledging grin, he wasted no time in turning back to the struggling boy he held in his arms, and sunk his teeth into Scott's neck. The taste of fresh blood washed over him, pouring down his throat, warming him and he found himself with a fierce inner battle on his hands. But the reminder that he had way too much to lose now was all that he needed to make himself pull away, tossing the boy back carelessly to the ground where he lay in a stunned heap.

"Anyone else want to try to make a run for it?" Spike asked with a mocking grin, making his elongated canines shine in the moonlight, tinged with a hint of red. "Cos gotta say, I'm still a mite peckish."

The others stared at Spike's disfigured face in undisguised horror, one of them looking down at the front of his own pants, then staring at the ground, watching as a small puddle began to form in front of him..

"Now that's just disgustin'" Spike commented, his lip curled up in disgust. "Pissing in your pants like a right wanker. Should kill you just for that."

"No please, god, no." The boy whimpered, backing up the few steps until his back was flush against the side of a building.

"We weren't going to do anything, really. Just messing around." One of the other jocks attempted to say.

The boy barely had time to register the angry glimmer that leapt into Spike's eyes before he found himself with a pair of sharp fangs embedded in his throat, his body pinned unrelentingly against the brick behind him. This time Spike didn't drink much, just a few deeps pulls, finding no fight with his demon on his hands this time. His demon was just as outraged as he was. When Spike was finished, he tossed the boy back hard against the wall, his eyes sparking with anger.

"Anyone care to try lying to me again?" Spike's voice was low and dangerous, and the would be attackers shook their heads furiously. Scott, who had yet to retrieve himself off the ground, looked at Buffy's amused face and dared to ask, "How can you just let him do this?"

Spike took a step toward him, but Buffy stopped him with a shake of her head. She walked back over to her lover's side and grabbed his hand, and looked down at Scott with contempt. "I'm letting him because even though he's a vampire, he's still a better man than any of you will ever be."

Something that had died a hundred years ago seemed to swell in Spike's chest with Buffy's passionately uttered statement, something that felt like hope. It was immediately followed by a profound deluge of guilt, telling him that he really was not any better than these boys. He himself had treated Buffy with as little regard as they had, and had managed to inflict a whole lot more damage to her, both physically and mentally. He tried to untangle his hand from her grasp, and she looked at him in surprise. Her eyes narrowed when she took note of the guilt ridden look that haunted his features. She knew exactly what was running through his head, and was so not going to let him do this. She used her profound strength to tighten her grip, daring him with her eyes to argue with her. Buffy gave him a heartfelt smile, letting him know it really was ok, she was ok, and relaxed slightly when the tightly held tension he had been holding onto slowly dissipated. Buffy reached up and pressed a quick kiss to his lips to reassure him, and she saw when the bad ass vampire reemerged, and found herself comforted by that.

Returning his lips to its usual smirk, Spike looked over at the dumbfounded group of teens. "So, looks like we need to be having a little chat on how to treat women here, dontcha think?"

When his question was met with no response, Spike took a threatening step forward. Suddenly, a chorus of shrill fear ridden voices rang out through the alley, all acknowledging Spike's comment. Spike grunted, and resumed his threatening stance. " So this is how things are going to be. How they bloody well should be anyway, without me, an evil vampire, having to tell you wankers what's what . But here it is, all spelled out for ya, all nice like. You gits won't EVER touch a woman against her will again, any of you, or I'll be sure to show you all the evil and torturous things I've learned over the last century. And believe me, I've taken the time to become quite inventive. Do you bleedin wankers understand what I just said? And I'll be keeping track of you gits, don't you worry your empty little heads about that one. Got your disgusting scents locked in, I could find you anywhere. Understand?"

There were frantic nods all the way around, with slight sighs of relief over the realization that they may be leaving the alley alive. Spike allowed his features to shift out of game face, his forehead smoothing out, his teeth retracting. The reaction to that was almost as startling as when Spike first showed them the face of his demon, horror again etched on every single one of them.

"Oh and another thing. See, this here is my girl. And it wouldn't do you a lot of good if I was to hear that you had been spreading tales about my girl. Things like she was involved with a vampire, for instance. Because really, vampires? There's no such thing, right? Because you wouldn't have believe yourselves before tonight, now would ya? Nope, you sure wouldn't. Do we understand each other?" Spike glare was just menacing without the glowing eyes and shimmering fangs, and the boys nodded instantly, eyes wide. Spike took a step forward, causing a flurry of panic before him. The scent of fear perfuming the air was soothing, and Spike's entire posture spoke of menace and danger. He may have been much shorter in stature then the hulking football players before him, but there was no doubt who had the power to instill fear. "And if any little rumors come floating my way that you've been spilling your guts about tonight, or are in the least bit threatening to my girl here, well.. Let's just say that they will probably have a hard time identifying your body after I'm through with you. Got it?" He sent them one more hard threatening look, then with a creak of well worn leather and a clomp of his combat boots, Spike turned his back on the wankers who had threatened his Buffy, leaving them with looks of dumbfounded relief on their faces.

Buffy allowed Spike to grab her hand and pull her out of the alley, calling a "Night boys" over her shoulder at the jocks. As they walked along, Buffy couldn't help but stare at Spike with a sappy indulgent smile on her face.

"What are you bleeding staring at?" Spike finally growled, looking at her out of the corner of his eye.

"You." Buffy replied, amused. "You're kinda cute, you know that?"

Spike stopped shock still and turned to look at her. "Those wankers wanted to do nasty things to you, and now you just stand here and tell me I'm cute?"

"Spike, hello, Slayer here. It's not like I couldn't have kicked their asses at any time. But I liked seeing you all damage bound and protective, you were cute."

Spike snorted. "S'not cute what they wanted to do to you."

Buffy took a step forward and raised her hand to gently cup the side of his face, tracing her thumb over the exaggerated curve of his cheekbone, down to his prominent jawbone before allowing the pad of her thumb to gently trace his firm lips. Unable to help herself, Buffy leaned up slightly and pressed a soft sweet kiss to his tension ridden mouth. "Spike, it's ok. I said YOU were cute, not what they were going to do." Spike opened his mouth to say something, and anticipating the direction of his thoughts, Buffy silenced him with another drawn out luxurious kiss, keeping her mouth closed against his, just reveling in the feel of his satiny lips against her own. "Don't say it" She whispered against his lips. "You don't need to say it. I forgive you."

She felt him nod his head, and she pulled away, smiling at him. "Thank you, Spike. For being my knight in shining armor tonight."

Another snort erupted. "Yeah, some bloody knight I am."

"You are, you just haven't realized it yet."

Spike gave her an odd look before a genuine smile graced his face. Grabbing her hand, he began walking again, this time his steps lighter than they had been. She humbled him, there was no question. He knew he didn't deserve her, or what they had been given, but damned if he could walk away.

"Anyway, now those idiots don't know about me being all SuperGirl, so I owe you big time." Buffy announced, swinging the hand that held hers lightly. "Of course, it would have been nice to see their faces when a girl whipped their butts. That would have been so priceless." Buffy shrugged. "Oh well, guess there is always next time."

At the low growl that she heard emanating from Spike, she hastily reassured him, "I was just saying it hypothetical like. Geez Spike, paranoid much?"

Spike allowed some of the anger to drain from his taunt muscles. Adopting a flippant tone, he remarked, "Gotta protect what's mine, you know."

His comment was met with silence, which was better than the flat out denial that Spike had been expecting. He risked a look at her face and found it to be pensive. Maybe she could accept that was his someday, he thought. Maybe I haven't bollixed things all to hell.

They didn't speak again for some time after that, both lost in their own thoughts. "Wait, home is the other way." Buffy suddenly announced.

Spike smirked at her. "Yeah, well, I was on my way to the Bronze when I caught your scent. Your mum cut me loose, said I was driving stark raving bonkers with all of my pacing."

"Oh really? Hmm.. imagine that. So where are we going?"

"The Bronze."

"But... I just left there, wasn't much fun."

Spike stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, and pulled Buffy around so that she stood in front of him. He grabbed her hips and drew her flush against him, allowing her pert breasts to smash against his hard chest, searing him from the outside. "Yeah, well, that's because I wasn't there."

Buffy smile lit him up inside. "True, very true."

They made good time getting to the Bronze, with no further mishaps or deep conversations along the way. The band was still playing and it was more packed then it had been. As Buffy walked in the doors with Spike's arm around her, it hit her in a flashing bolt of clarity that yep, this was what was missing when she had been there earlier. Being here with Spike now, she felt complete. She didn't want to dwell on how bizarro that was, or wonder if it was because he claimed her or what, now she just wanted to enjoy the rest of the evening.

Looking around, she saw that Xander and Willow were still sitting at the same table, and Buffy headed in that direction with Spike in tow. Willow looked up with a happy smile on her face to see Buffy, getting up and hugging her again. Willow surprised Spike by offering him a genuine smile of greeting and he nodding his head in acknowledgement. He looked over at Xander's scowling face and smirked.

"What's the Totally Dead Dude doing here?" Xander complained.

Buffy threw a dirty look in his direction, and Xander immediately felt chagrined. "He's here because we want to be here, ok Xander?"

Not expecting an answer, Buffy pointed at a chair for Spike to sit in and he flung himself into it with all of his cocky grace. Buffy was getting ready to sit next to him when he grabbed her and tumbled her onto his waiting lap. She gave him an exasperated look but didn't make a move to get up. Instead, she leaned back against him and got comfortable.

tbc...

I know, a short chapter, but it was either cut it short or not get it out until tomorrow night. Damn Real Life!! So demanding!!!