chapter 17

The next few weeks passed by in haze of activity. Summer was beckoning its welcome arms, and Buffy and her friends would be graduating in a few weeks. Teachers had slacked off, kids had shifted gears. They were on the brink of teetering off the bridge into adulthood, and would soon be shedding their so called teenage life.
And then there was the senior prom.

Buffy had already decided she wasn't going to go. It's not like she had lived the life of a normal high school girl, and so not getting to go to her senior prom? No biggie. At least that's what she kept telling herself, keeping up a brave and happy front whenever anybody asked her about it. Some of the kids more nastily than others. It wasn't like she could just ask Spike to go with her. And she knew he would probably have murderous intent if she went with another guy, not that anybody else had asked, she thought bitterly. So... no prom for Buffy. How typical.

Scott and his friends had listened to Spike and had not shared the news that Buffy was dating a monster. But it had not gone unnoticed the fear that struck their eyes when they would pass her in the hall or during class. Buffy had already been labeled a freak just by being an unwed teenage mother, but add the abnormal reactions of the school's most popular boys and it was a recipe that exalted her to super freak status. She was not immune to the whispers and giggles that went on around her, mostly by that popular crowd that inhabits every high school across the country. A group that she used to be a full fledged member of in her old life in LA. This one was headed by Cordelia and Harmony, and their band of little wannabe followers. It was so irritating. For the most part, she ignored it, but it would still find a way to crawl inside, causing her pain and upset. She knew that the other kids had picked up on her continuous involvement whenever things went a bit wonky. Since they lived in Sunnydale, home to the Hellmouth, this occurred more often than Buffy and Giles would have liked. In true Sunnydale fashion though, these episodes were ignored, or explained away with some bogus story, usually leaving Buffy as the fall guy. It was just one more thing that she shouldered being the Chosen one. Or the Super Freak as she was now known as. Life sucked, so not fair, she thought. People should be kissing her ass, not labeling her a freak. And the guys should be lining up to take her to prom, dammit. Even though the only guy I want is Spike. So not fair.

Spike could tell something was wrong with Buffy, she had an almost resolute air about her now that had been growing in severity as time went on. He knew it wasn't about him, and it wasn't just his ego telling him that. Every gesture and smile Buffy would give him proved over and over that as far as they were concerned, all was right with the world.

In a bold desperate move that had him questioning his sanity, Spike turned to Xander for help. After that little episode at the Bronze, the whelp wasn't being such a git. Buffy would tease him that Xander had a crush on him, but Spike knew the boy was looking for a role model, of sorts. When Spike saw him in a newly acquired black leather jacket, he knew he had been right, as usual. Usually those who would look up to Spike as a role model were looking for guidance as to the best way to inflict death and destruction. To have someone who looked to him as a person, well, Spike wouldn't put a name to how it made him feel.

So now here he was, the Big Bad, William the Bloody, meeting Xander annoying Harris at the Bronze to discuss Buffy. Without even asking, Spike strode to the bar and brought back two beers, slapping one down in front of Xander, who gave him such a look of wide eyed appreciation, Spike wanted to slap it off his face.

"So.. Spike. What's with the cryptic beer sharing invitation?" Xander asked. "Oh god, you're not trying to get me drunk so you can eat me, are you?"

The black look Spike sent his way had Xander sighing with relief. "Ok, not so much with the eating part. Still, what's up?"

Spike took a moment to answer, deliberately stalling by taking a sip of beer. "It's about Buffy."

"Ah. I see. You want to discuss the ways and wiles of women with Xander here." Xander leaned back in his chair and adopted a cocky pose that he'd seen Spike use. "You've come to the right place, my friend."

The urge to slap Xander's head off was growing stronger. "Right. Well, it's like this, see. Something's bothering her, but she won't tell me what it is."

"Prom."

"What?"

"You asked what was bothering her, and I told you. The prom."

"What the bloody hell is the prom?"

Xander stared at him in shock. "You're kidding right? You're how old?" Xander shook his head in pained exaggeration. "You poor bastard. The senior prom is like the biggest social event that takes place just once in a girl's life. Buffy has resigned herself to the fact that she's not going."

"So it's a... party?"

"No, more like a dance."

"Buffy's been moping around because of a bloody dance?" The outrage on Spike's face was almost comical.

Xander nodded his head in feigned sadness. "Yep. Sad but true."

"Why isn't she going?"

Xander looked at him like he'd suddenly grown a second head. "You're kidding, right?" He withstood the withering glare the vampire sent him as long as he could before he buckled under the pressure. "Ok fine. She doesn't have anyone to go with."

Spike looked confused. "What's wrong with me?"

"Hope you don't mind me saying this, but... you're not exactly the prom type." At the growl he heard coming from Spike, Xander threw up his hands in defense. "Hey! No killing the messenger! I think Buffy just didn't want to ask you."

"When is it?"

"This weekend."

Spike nodded thoughtfully. "Ok, right. Buffy will be going to this bloody prom thing."

"You are going to take her?"

"Bloody well right I'm going to take her. Can't believe she's been moping around about something as ridiculous as this."

"Women."

"I need you to put together the, you know, little details. Don't want her to know until the last minute, otherwise she'll come up with something to get out of it, most likely. Some misplaced sense of guilt or some rot."

Xander couldn't help but smile. "Yeah, you know her pretty good, don't you."

"Yeah, I do. So, tell me what I need here."

Enlisting the help of Joyce and Willow, as well as Xander's assistance, the plans for Buffy's prom experience were set in motion. Joyce almost burst into tears when Spike told her that he was planning on taking her, knowing full well how upset her daughter had been about it. Joyce understood Buffy's reasons for assuming that Spike wouldn't be interested in going, because the notion of a 100 plus year old vampire at a dance with hundreds of teenagers didn't quite fit. But she was glad to see that once again, there was more to Spike than was readily apparent on the harsh surface.

Willow and Joyce had picked out a dress for Buffy, using Willow as a living mannequin, adjusting measurements to take into consideration Buffy's slightly more ample frame. Buffy was so engrossed in her morose feelings that she had no idea these plans were taking place.

The day of the prom, Buffy's mood had become downright despondent. The multiple times Spike would question what had crawled up her ass, she replied an unhappy "nothing", giving him a pained look that told him it was anything but. It was all Spike could do to keep up his irritated scowl at her behavior when in reality he wanted to laugh. She was such a little girl in some ways, he would forget until something like this came up. But the way she loved him was all woman, he thought with satisfaction.

Finally, in the late afternoon, Spike strode into the living room where Buffy was moping on the couch. Blake was taking a nap, and her mom was sitting in the chair next to her. She looked up at him and managed a small pitiful smile, before turning her attention back to the tv in front of her. Spike went and turned it off.

"Hey! I was watching that!" Buffy said indignantly.

"Get your ass up and go take a shower."

"I don't feel like it."

"You're going to go take a shower even if I have to go carry you in there and throw you in." Spike threatened.

Buffy's eyes lit up at that and she opened her mouth to make a lewd remark but then remembered her mom was in the room. Allowing her face to draw back into a pout, she crossed her arms in front of her chest. "I don't wanna."

Spike exchanged an amused glance with Joyce before putting his hands on his hips and glaring at her. "Fine, don't take a shower. Just thought you'd feel better being clean and all for the prom."

Buffy looked at him aghast. "What are you talking about?"

"The prom? You know, your soddin' school dance thing?"

"But I'm not going." Buffy replied confused.

"Oh really? Then why do I have these then?" He threw the prom tickets at her and watched as she looked at them in shock, then looked at him, then over at her mom before looking back at the tickets, disbelief frozen on her face.

"I'm going to the prom?" She asked softly.

"That's what I'm trying to tell you, luv. Course if you don't want to take a bloody shower, don't on my account. I just have this enhanced sense of smell thing going, no need to be bothered by that."

The teasing words had barely left his mouth before he had an armful of slayer wrapped tightly around him. "thank you thank you thank you." She whispered over and over, tears of happiness crowding her eyes.

Joyce just sat there and watched how happy this had made Buffy, and marveled at how strange life was. The very fact that Spike had even noticed something was bothering Buffy, then going out of his way to find out what was causing it... Well, he had turned into quite a surprise. Spike had even insisted on funding the whole thing, which Joyce felt in her bank account. It had come as a shock when Spike had finally admitted he had money, almost as if he was embarrassed by it. Maybe because it had not been obtained in evil nefarious ways, as if it offended his demonic nature. Apparently, once upon a time, the man who used to be known as William came from a wealthy family and since he was the only heir, the money came to him. That may not have occurred through entirely legal means, since William technically was dead and had been for over 100 years, but Spike had never touched it. Joyce knew better than to question the reasons too closely, but appreciated him using it now.

When Spike looked over at Joyce and saw her face full of gratitude, he beat a hasty escape. The tender emotions flowing through the room were making him nauseous. He was evil, for Christ's sake. Yet that didn't seem to stop the glimmer of satisfaction that he'd done something to make Buffy happy.

The hours that followed were almost torturous for Spike, who was well versed in what actual torture entailed. Red had come over and the two girls had embraced a ritual so archaic, it made Spike cringe. There was primping, and giggling and doors slammed in his face. It seemed to be unending.

Willow's other half, Oz, showed up at some point, providing a welcome distraction for the vampire who was attempting to watch TV with his son, who had also been kicked out of the primping party. The three sat and watched Blake's favorite show, Veggie Tales.

"This is just...wrong." Oz commented at one point.

"I ought to find the bastards who put this show on and kill them. Slowly." Spike replied.

"Wait for the next full moon, and I'll help."

Spike took that into consideration and nodded. "The worst part is, these songs sneak your brain, and before you know it, you're singing 'em. You'll be walking down the bloody street, and all of a sudden, you realize you are singing about broccoli and celery. It's bloody terrifying."

"I can see that."

Spike had refused to wear a tuxedo, instead was wearing a pair of black dress pants and a black silk shirt, with a blood red tie to compliment the outfit. His hair was styled a bit different, thanks to Joyce, and Spike found himself asking Oz if it looked ok.

"She didn't do anything real nasty to it, did she?"

Oz tipped his head to study the vampire before. "Nah. Looks good." Silence followed that comment, and Spike reflected how bloody bizarre this was. And yet, it didn't feel wrong. He liked this boy, Oz. He had a bit of the demon in him himself, so they had that little bit in common. And yet, he was finding Xander a bit of all right. Bloody ridiculous.

Finally, the girls came down the stairs and Spike came to the immediate conclusion that the time was well spent. Buffy looked amazing. She glowed, she radiated and any other poncy words he could come up with. She was wearing a strapless red prom dress the color of Spike's tie, the color complimenting her blonde tanned looks to perfection. When Joyce forced them together for pictures, it became very clear that they were quite the attractive couple. For Buffy's sake, Joyce hoped that Buffy would gain back some of the confidence that had been lost and self sacrificed since she became the slayer. Joyce was quite sure there would be more than one envious girl when they got a look at Spike. she almost wished she could be a fly on the wall, but would have to trust Mr. Giles to fill her in, knowing he was acting as a chaperone this evening.

Xander arrived, with his date and the limo. Spike was introduced to Anya who didn't smell entirely human herself. Buffy whispered ex vengeance demon, and Spike nodded, thus clearing up the mystery. Interesting little group of mates the Slayer had.

After a few tears from Joyce that had increased Spike's queasiness factor and more pictures, they finally left the Summers house. Spike snorted in derision as he climbed in the back of the limo. William the Bloody going to a bloody high school dance. He would have said how the mighty had fallen except for the fact he hadn't fallen. Except in love. Bloody hell, where did that thought come from? He was saved from having to follow that thought around the bend by his enhanced sense of hearing picking up a familiar tune.

"Veggie tales, veggiiiieee tallllesss.." He heard Oz singing under his breath. He locked eyes on the werewolf and smirked.

"Told ya it bloody takes your brain over."

Oz have him a horrified look as he realized exactly what he had been singing, causing a chuckle from Spike. The other occupants of the limo looked confused and neither male made a move to enlighten them. Some things were just better left unexplained, and that was one of them. Spike just passed around his flask, snickering as Xander bravely tried to act like the strong alcohol had no affect on him. However it was near impossible to hide the muted choking from someone with supernatural hearing, and Spike just offered him a knowing smirk. It didn't stop Xander from taking the flask when it came back his way though, and Spike gave him a measuring glance. The boy did all right this time.

His date was strange. Willow and Buffy tried to involve Anya in the conversation, but she had a wacky way of saying things that seemed to alienate herself without too much effort.

"I'm not used to being human, dammit. It shouldn't be this hard." Anya finally complained.

"I hear ya, luv." Spike commiserated as he handed her the flask. When he saw her tip it back and give it a healthy whirl without batting an eye, he threw his head back and laughed. "Interesting little bird you picked up, Xander."

Xander felt his own apprehension about his forced date ease at Spike's backhanded compliment. "Yeah, she kind of grows on you, doesn't she?"

"What are you talking about? Why doesn't anybody just say what they mean? I hate this place." Anya grumbled.

"You're doing fine, pet. Give it a chance. Never know, you might come to like it." Spike found himself saying, realizing exactly how true it was.

Soon, the limo pulled up into what looked like virtual grandiose piano keyboard of ebony and ivory as limos competed with each other for space. Their occupants poured out en masse, in all colors and sizes.

It was with a sardonic grin that Spike surveyed this scene in front of him, as he helped Buffy out of the limo. "Well well. So this is a prom."

Buffy looked up at the tone of his voice, and narrowed his eyes. "Be good, do you hear me?"

He allowed his leering eyes to travel the length of her body, letting it linger on certain parts that he knew would get her going. His leer turned into full blown lust as he said, "Or what?"

Buffy felt her body respond to his penetrating gaze, her pulse quickened and her breath came faster as she drew herself up to ward him off. "Or.. or.. gah! I don't know. But trust me, it won't be pleasant, mister."

Spike leaned towards Buffy, and whispered in ear, "Is that a promise, luv?"

The gravely intent of his voice caused her eyes to daze over, and she knew she was treating Spike to just how much he affected her by mere scent alone. They stood there staring at each other, inches apart but Spike could feel her heat touching him, reaching into him as if she were physically touching him. The intensity of their regard was beginning to smolder into full blown desire, and they both began closing the distance between them.

"Hey, come on! Like you can't do that when you get home?" Xander complained loudly right in front of them. "Lucky bastards." He added beneath his breath.

That served to break the spell that had been cast, and Spike and Buffy gave each other an amused smile before turning to the others. "I believe you have forgotten that I'm evil, Harris. Might want to keep that in mind, you git."

"Yeah yeah. You scare me all right." Xander replied as they got in line with the other new comers and headed into the gymnasium for the Senior Prom.

TBC..

Thanks to Beanmommy and Jerzeyanjel for their help and input for these chapters! And thank you for all the comments about this story, you guys are the best! But by all means, keep 'em coming!