Thanks to Spikeskat for being beta'ing this chapter!

chapter 23

With languid reluctance, Spike was pulled from sleep to find himself surrounded by a virtual cocoon of warmth. After yesterday's emotionally charged day, neither he nor Buffy could stand to be apart from Blake. So instead of putting him in his crib at bedtime, they had tucked his little body between them as they slept on Buffy's bed the previous night.

Now Spike opened his eyes to find Blake curled up against his own, his breathing fast and even in sleep. The picture of his son sleeping so innocently next to his body was absolutely the most beautiful sight Spike had ever beheld. Well, one of two most beautiful, Spike corrected, as his eyes drifted to the girl who lay wrapped around his son on the other side. This was exactly where he belonged, and his discord over the loss of vampire family suddenly paled in comparison.

He would kill a hundred times over to keep this family safe.

Later on that morning, Spike fixed pancakes for Blake, taking great care while using the cookie cutters that Joyce had available to keep his son entertained. He found that Blake like the animal ones the best, so Spike made a varied assortment of monster animal pancakes, causing giggles with each new creation.

Spike had let Buffy sleep in, not having the heart to wake her when she had looked so exhausted, even in slumber. So, as Blake first began to stir, Spike carefully pulled him from his mother’s embrace and quietly brought him downstairs. He wasn’t surprised to find the kitchen empty even though it was well past the time Joyce was usually up.  He knew Joyce had a bit of a recovery ahead of her, her body needing time to adjust after the amount of blood he'd taken from her.

"More cakes, pweese," Blake asked from his position in the tall highchair. Spike had sputtered in outrage when he had learned how much the bloody thing had cost. And they had thought he was evil. Those buggars deserved to go to hell for charging so much for the hunk of plastic. Spike didn't much care for the explanations of how easy it was to detach the tray with just one hand, or how nicely the fabric wiped down. It was bloody highway robbery, pure and simple.

Spike prepared another pancake for his son, making sure the pieces were small enough for Blake to pick up easily, and put them on the tray. Blake smiled and began shoving it into his mouth, chewing happily.

Spike heard a noise behind him and whipped around to see Joyce enter the kitchen. He noted with concern that she was still too pale and looked completely wiped out. Black circles had dug deep rims under her eyes, her lips looking almost as pale as her face. The whole look wasn’t helped by the colorless robe she wore. It did please him that she exhibited no signs of wariness as she entered and saw him already present.

"Morning, Joyce," Spike greeted. "I've got some coffee made, if you want some."

She flashed him a grateful smile, and headed for the coffee pot, pouring the bitter brew into a big ceramic mug. On her way to the kitchen chairs, Joyce dropped a kiss on Blake's head before settling herself down wearily.

"You doin' alright?"

"I feel a bit out of sorts," Joyce admitted, not surprised to see the guilty look shadow Spike's face at her words. His eyes immediately sought out the jagged marks on her neck, red and ugly against her skin.

"Joyce, I'm sorry." Spike buttered more pancakes in a distracted manner, putting them down silently in front of her, even though her appetite was non existent.

"Spike, I already told you. You don't need to apologize. I know why you did it. Can't say as I liked it very much, but I think being dead would have been a whole lot worse. Yes, you scared me. And yes, to be honest, there was a hint of doubt that you weren't going to stop. But you did stop, and we're all ok."

Spike nodded his head, finding himself not particularly cheered by Joyce's words. He went and warmed up his coffee from the pot on the counter, and took a seat across from Joyce.

"I know they were your family, Spike. But I can't say I'm sorry that they're gone," Joyce revealed, seeing the pain firmly etched on the sharp planes of Spike's face.

Sighing heavily, Spike brought the steaming mug to his lips, and took a sip. "Can't say as I'm particularly sorry myself, if you must know the truth. Mostly I'm just bleedin sorry that you, Buffy and my boy were put in a situation like that."

That acknowledgement pleased Joyce, and she felt it safe to address another topic that she had learned yesterday. "I wanted to talk to you about something else, Spike. I know this isn't really my business, but I'm going to pry anyway. I can't help but be bothered that you are... biting Buffy."

Spike looked up sharply from his intense perusal of the contents of his mug. "It's a different kind of biting, Joyce. It's not done to harm her. And it sure as bloody hell is not being done without her consent either. I told you I wasn't going to hurt her, and I meant it."

By the coolness that had suddenly entered his voice, Joyce had the good sense to back off of the topic. She nodded and stood to give Blake some more pancakes. The little boy had been listening to their discussion in a serious manner, his lips pursed intently.

"Daddy no hurt Mommy," he announced suddenly.

His innocently spoken words, voiced so emphatically, broke the sudden tension that had enveloped the room, and both adults found themselves smiling in response.

Buffy chose that moment to enter the kitchen, the brightness of her eyes suggesting the extra time spent sleeping had gone a long way towards wiping away her exhaustion. "You guys talking about me again?"

"Just a little," Joyce assured her, with a fond smile.

"Mommy!" a little voice squealed with glee, Blake's breakfast all but ignored now that his mother was up. His wild writhing in his seat indicated he wanted out of his high chair, and so Buffy unlocked his seatbelt, and scooped him out. She was unable to help the prolonged hug she gave him, savoring the feel of his little body against hers.

Joyce's eyes filled with tears as she observed her daughter respond to the natural call of motherhood. Maybe Buffy had a little inkling now of the mental torment Joyce went through each time Buffy put herself in danger doing her "chosen" sacred duty.

As if reading her mind, Spike tore his eyes away from Buffy and his son and quietly informed her, "I'll take care of her, Joyce."

Joyce just nodded her head, not wanting to verbalize her fears. They needed to focus on the positive in their lives, not the "what ifs". If nothing else, yesterday had served as a reminder of how truly fragile life could be. Last night, she'd had recurring nightmares about the barbaric way the women in the bathroom were killed. The vision had crept into her mind and refused to leave. She kept thinking that it could have been her lying pale and bloodless on the cold bathroom floor. 


Forcing a bright smile, Joyce looked at Buffy and asked, "So, what's on the agenda for today?"

"Mouse place!" Blake announced enthusiastically, before Buffy could reply.

Spike tipped an eyebrow in Buffy's direction with a silent question attached. Buffy smiled mischievously, risking a glance at Spike before returning her attention to the blondehaired boy in her arms. "Why, yes. I think the 'mouse place' is doable."

Several hours later, Joyce dropped Spike off right at the curb, and he made a mad dash for the pocket of shade that would shield him from of the sun's deadly rays.

Pressing himself against the side of the building, Spike shook his head in disgust at the things he allowed himself to get roped into. When Joyce, Buffy and Blake finally joined him, he couldn't help the harshness that crept into his voice as he bit out, "What the bloody hell is this place?"

"It's the mouse place, Spike," Buffy replied cheekily, ushering him inside.

Once inside, Spike was subjected to even more indignities, as his wrist was grabbed unceremoniously by the pimple faced girl manning the roped entrance, and an ink number stamp was pressed to the back of his hand.

Instinctively, Spike jerked his arm back, sounding a low warning growl, barely able to refrain from flashing his fangs at this complete invasion of his person.

The girl who had stamped his hand threw him a disgusted look. "Dude, chill. Everyone who comes in with their family gets stamped with the same number."

Spike allowed the tension to leave his body as he witnessed Buffy, Joyce, and Blake also being stamped.  The girl was bloody lucky though, that she didn't loose a limb, much less her life, for grabbing at him like that.  Buffy just looked at him and rolled her eyes, and Spike was beginning to suspect that she was secretly enjoying these reactions of his.
    

Throwing her a dirty look, he relieved her of Blake, holding him easily against his side with one arm.  Spike leaned over and whispered huskily into Buffy's ear, "You toss one more little smirk my way, little girl, and I'll haul you over my knee and throttle you."
    

He noted with profound satisfaction that her heart rate increased at his spoken innuendo, and gave her a wicked smirk of his own. 
    

The pimple face bint unhooked the velvet rope, and ushered them through before hooking it firmly behind them. "Enjoy your visit at Chuck E. Cheese," she called after them.

tbc..
Short, yes, I know, and I'm sorry! But, real life is so demanding. I'll update as soon as I can, I promise! I so cannot WAIT for my kids to go back to school!