Chapter 5

The bottom of Buffy's stomach dropped out as she looked towards her Watcher, her anxiety increased when she saw the horrified look on Giles face. "What is he talking about?" she snapped. When Giles didn't answer her question immediately, she turned on the vampire lying on the floor. "What...did....you...do....." she ground out.

Spike lumbered to his feet, an amused look on his face. "Well, since I seem to have rendered your Watcher speechless, I guess it's up to me to enlighten you. I claimed you. Means you belong to me. As in," he moved closer to her. "You.. Are... Mine..."

Buffy's nostrils flared at the injustice of it, and her fist reacted immediately, but Spike was ready for her this time. He caught her incoming fist in his, using the momentum to twist her arm behind her, bringing the back of her up hard against his chest. "Now, now, now. No more of that. Wouldn't want me to practice some of the uh... more demeaning aspects of the claim, now would you."

Buffy struggled defiantly, twisting her head around to glare at him. "Get your hands off of me."

Spike's response to that was to lick the raw puncture wounds he had left on her neck and Buffy gasped at the contact. "No," he informed her smugly.

"I swear to god, you are going to wish you never came here!" Buffy yelled, as she tried to twist in his grasp. She managed to get one arm free and threw her fist backwards, where it landed with startling accuracy against his nose again. Spike growled angrily in response, as he grabbed her renegade arm.

"Well, well, meek little Buffy has grown some claws. But don't you know, every time you do something like that, it just gives me a huge boner?" As if to prove his point, he ground his erection against her thrashing butt.

"God, crude much?" Buffy yelled. "Who the hell even says boner anymore, anyway?" That resulted in her arms being wrenched to an excruciating degree behind her back. "Giles! Little help here!"

Giles finally snapped out of his horrified daze, cursing himself for his inattention to present matters. "ENOUGH!!!! " he shouted. "Both of you, stop this!"

Buffy stopped her thrashing to look at her Watcher in shock. "Well, gee, I was thinking more of the pointy wooden kind of help, Giles."

Giles ignored her, pinning his gaze on the smug vampire who was holding his Slayer. "Let her go."

"And why should I?"

"Because I told you to, that's why," Giles stated calmly, a stake suddenly appearing in his hands.

"I've got to say, that's not exactly swaying me here."

"All right. How about this. You let her go and we'll explore the reasons why you were able to father a child."

That got Spike's attention. With a hard shove, he threw Buffy away from him and went and sat down in the chair he had occupied earlier. "So, could I get a refill here, Watcher?"

Buffy looked at Giles in stunned disbelief. "You invited him over for a DRINK???"

Giles had the good sense to look abashed. "I was uh, aware of his....undead status at the time."

Spike tipped his head cockily. "Yeah, been meaning to mention that. You might want to watch those invites you toss around so casually. Might find yourself with some not so desirable company."

"Yeah, just look in the mirror. Oh wait, you can't, can you? So sorry, my mistake. Must suck to be dead," Buffy injected snidely.

Before Spike could throw an angry retort back, Giles barked, "Buffy, please!"

Buffy looked at Giles in shock. "Uh, Giles, can I speak to you a moment? In PRIVATE?" she added meaningfully.

Giles nodded his consent, and with a warning look in Spike's direction, followed Buffy into the kitchen. "What the hell are you doing?" Buffy hissed at Giles. "Why aren't we staking him?"

Giles adopted a pained and uncomfortable look on his face. Reaching up to remove his glasses, he formulated his next words carefully. "Buffy, I am sorry if this...situation is bringing you mental anguish. However, from a Council standpoint, it would be remiss of me not to explore the implications of this."

At Buffy's stunned look, he hastened to reassure her that he had not breathed a word to the Council about her son's supernatural roots, nor would do so. "But he is the father, am I correct?"

Buffy closed her eyes briefly, then directed her gaze to the ground. She gave a brief nod in confirmation to Giles question. "And we only have his word that he claimed you. There are things that need to be dealt with here. Do you understand?"

Churlishly, Buffy finally nodded her acceptance. She knew he was right but it didn't mean she had to like it. Just in the short time she was in Will's company, he had made her emotions behave as if they were on a roller coaster. And that pissed her off.

"Right then. Well, let's go back out and see if we can get Will to answer any of our questions," Giles suggested.

"SPIKE." they heard being yelled from the other room. Buffy and Giles quickly reentered the living room to find a smirking vampire sprawled in his chair, feet up on the antique coffee table. He looked up at them when they walked back in.

"I beg your pardon?" Giles asked in confusion. Spike?

"The name. I go by Spike," the vampire drawled, allowing his feet to be knocked off the table by Giles.

"Oh Good LORD!!" Giles exclaimed, finally putting the pieces of the puzzle together, why the man seemed so familiar and mentally chastised himself for not recognizing him earlier.

"Wha?" Buffy asked.

"Otherwise known as William the Bloody, I presume?" Giles announced coldly.

A proud smile spread over Spike's face as he said gloatingly, "Ah, so you've heard of me, then?"

"Unfortunately."

"Giles....." Buffy said threateningly.

Giles heaved a big put upon sigh and slumped down heavily onto the couch. "Well, Buffy, it seems you don't have any ordinary vampire as the father of your child. Spike is quite legendary among the Council archives."

"Oh. Gee. Fabulous," Buffy muttered, throwing another lethal glare in Spike's direction. He was just about to call her on it when the door to Giles apartment was thrown open and he recognized her little rescuers from the club.

"Oh Buffy! You're here! Good, we were worried about you," Willow announced.

"Yeah. Something weird seems to be going on, thought we'd come over and talk to G-Man about it."

"Xander...." Giles lectured in a pained voice.

"Sorry." Xander replied in a voice that sounded anything but. It was then he noticed the sprawled smirking figure in Giles chair. "Merciful Zeus! I was right!" Turning to Willow, he said, "Told you he was totally blonde."

"Yeah." Willow agreed, staring at Spike.

"Want to introduce me to your little friends, Buffy?" Spike suggested in a low intimate tone.

Buffy's response was automatic and as soon as it left her mouth, she wished she could take it back. "Bite me."

Spike's eyes darkened, and he curled the tip of his tongue behind his front teeth as he allowed his eyes to slowly drink up and down Buffy's rigid body. "Well luv, thought you'd have had enough by now, but I'm always willing to oblige a lady... As you well know."

Buffy's temper flared at his not very subtle innuendo. "Screw you!" she tossed back. Wow, she was amazing herself with her quick and original comebacks. Yep, no doubt.

"Oh yes, that too can be arranged."

With a yell, Buffy's movements were quick and her aim was true. Before Spike could finish congratulating himself for taunting her, She had a very sharp and very deadly stake pointed over his heart. With a smirk, he challenged, "Do it."

Flashing eyes were locked on the other as they stared each other down, then in a surprise ending, Buffy threw the stake in Giles hands and ran out the door, tears blinding her way. As the door slammed behind her, everyone stared after it in shock. Spike made a move to get up and follow, but found his way blocked by a lethal looking crossbow and a pissed off Watcher.

"You're not going anywhere. You and I are going to have us a nice little chat, I believe," Giles informed him, his voice cold and unrelenting.

"What the hell just went on here? I thought Buffy staked vamps." Xander whispered to Willow. But Willow was too busy staring at Spike to bother answering right away. Finally, she turned to him and whispered, "Xander, look at him, who does he remind you of?"

Xander looked at Spike, then back at Willow, shrugging his shoulders in ignorance. "Dunno. A bloodsucking fiend, perhaps?"

"He looks like Blake, Xander."

That had Xander giving the vampire another inspection. "Oh sweet fancy googilies. He does." Now he knew what Giles wanted to chat with him about.

Buffy ran all the way home, her tears spilling in every direction. Oh god, things were so complicated. Why couldn't she dust him? It was her job. He had not given her any reason tonight to think he was anything but an evil vampire, so why was that voice nagging at her? Telling her that there was more there than met the eye? It made no sense, and her confusion was absolute. Was it a claim thing? And why didn't that thought disgust her? Buffy felt like smashing her head against her bedroom wall. Just like she knew her friends would not be in danger because she had left them with an apparently legendary vampire. She wouldn't have left him there if she was really concerned.

Then her mom brought Blake into her room for bed and Buffy looked into those blue eyes that were so familiar, and her heart just melted. Will, no, SPIKE had given her this. He might be evil, but he had given her the most precious thing in the world and for that, she realized she owed him a chance. Well, a chance at a non dusty existence anyway.

Feeling much better, she got herself and Blake ready for bed.