Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok I am SOOO sorry for the delay in updating! I am going to be writing the next chap in the next few days to post on thurs, because I am going on holiday on the 17th, for a week and I don't wanna leave you waiting another 2 weeks before you get an update! Thanks as always to my wonderful Andy for betaing for me, hopefully this chap will be a little better than the last rushed one! Enjoy! Oh, and review? Pretty please?
Chapter 7 – Awakenings

Buffy was having the nicest dream, so nice she didn’t want to wake up. She was somewhere in between the place where the dream world meets reality, and she felt loved and at peace. She tried to drift back into the peaceful dream she’d been having, moving to roll onto her stomach where she usually slept better. However, as she went to turn, an arm tightened its hold around her waist, and she heard a murmur of “Go back to sleep, love” from behind her. In the half awake state she was in, she couldn’t tell if it was in her dream or part of reality, so she just shut her brain off from thinking too much and drifted back into dreamland.

It felt like minutes later when an alarm started to pierce through the layers of sleepy fog that had held the blond woman comatose, and she blindly reached her right arm over to hit the machine, which stopped, waiting for 5 minutes before it would disrupt her slumber a following time. This time when it started, before she had a chance to reach out and switch it off she was startled by a “Why the hell is that thing going off so much love?! I’m trying to sleep here!” As her bed companion spoke, she was roused from her sleep in a way that her alarm had never managed before.

She sat up so fast her head spun, and she clutched it in her hands, moaning. “Jesus Spike, are you trying to kill me?! What the hell are you doing in my bed?! What happened last night, I don’t remember…? Oh my God, we didn’t…?” She trailed off, her face flushing at the mere thought of what she was trying to say to him.

He chuckled, trying to hide his disappointment of the fact that she’d woken up in despair at the thought of sleeping with him. ”Don’t worry pet, nothing happened. Look at your clothes, your virtue’s still intact. You fell asleep outside on the porch. Willow told me Dru turned up, I was about ready to go kill her, came outside and there you were, soundo, so I scooped you up and brought you up here. Didn’t think you’d wanna sleep out there where any nasty could get hold of ya.”

She looked down at the comforter she was covered in, playing with a loose thread holding one of its sequins on it in place. She seemed deep in thought, remembering last nights ‘encounter’ with Dru. She remembered her words, *You and William, you have passion. You smoulder when you’re together, you can feel the heat all around you.* Then she remembered how she’d woken up earlier, now realising that it wasn’t a dream, it had been Spike’s arm wrapped around her, and she wondered if that was why she felt like she’d slept a thousand years rather than the mere 7 hours she’d actually been asleep. “Spike, why were, well, ARE you here? In my bed, I mean? You’ve been here all night, right?” She waited for his nod, before continuing. “But I don’t understand why…your room’s right down the hall, you could’ve gone there easily.” She looked into his eyes, and then wished she hadn’t.

He felt upset that she was reacting to sleeping next to him like this. He couldn’t understand how Willow thought they’d get Buffy to realise that they’d be good together. As she looked up at him, he knew his feelings were written all over his face, as she looked apologetic for asking, and looked down where her hands were still fiddling with the loose sequin. “Actually love, when I brought you in here, you held onto my hand. Rolled over so it was trapped under you, I couldn’t get it back without waking you again, and I didn’t wanna do that, so I lay down next to you, thought I’d wait till I could get it back without disturbing your sleep. Must’ve fallen asleep myself, I’m sorry love.” He watched as her face flushed pink, finding it adorable as hell.

She felt so embarrassed, here she was asking why he was in her room and it was her fault all along. “I’m sorry, God, I’m so stupid! I just, Dru said some stuff last night and I just, I don’t know, felt weird when I woke up next to you. I’m sorry.” She moved to get up out of the bed, heading towards the bathroom. She turned back when Spike, who had followed her movements, reached out and grasped her hand. The slightest brush of his fingers on hers had her feeling slightly weak at the knees, and she couldn’t for the life of her fathom why.

Spike waited for her to turn around, noticing her grip on his hand tighten, and her palm become slightly sweaty. He heard her take a deep breath before she turned around to face him, and if she didn’t seem so confused he would have been worried about her. However, the way her gaze was fixed on their interlocked fingers intrigued him, and he wondered if maybe there was a chance that she’d offer him the barest crumb of a chance to prove that he was worth her time. “We’re ok, right love?” he asked, and her head snapped up to lock her gaze with his.

As his words filtered through to the part of her brain that was marveling over how well their fingers seemed to fit together, she looked up at him. “What?” she asked, having him repeat the question, before thinking it over. “We’re fine Spike, just peachy!” she replied, flashing him a mega-watt smile before sliding her hand from his as she turned and made her way into the bathroom.

****************************************************************************************

Willow noticed her friend walk in the door of the Espresso Pump, and waved her over to the table in the corner that she’d saved for them. Buffy noticed her, and went to the counter, placing her order and moving on to the table the redhead was sat at with her laptop. “Hey Wills!” She placed her purse on one of the chairs, before taking a seat herself. She seemed a little off, and Willow started to wonder what was going on.

“Everything ok, Buff?” she asked, looking at the blond as if she was waiting to hear the biggest secret in the world. Buffy looked at her, wondering whether she could really say what she wanted to tell her friend. She knew that she’d understand, but she wasn’t sure of anything herself right now. So, she took a deep breath, before putting her words together in one sentence, making it very hard for Willow to understand what the hell she’d said.

“IthinkI’mfallingforSpike!” Buffy said, without taking a single lungful of air. Willow looked at her like she’d grown two heads, indicating that she wanted her friend to repeat what she’d said, but before she could, the waitress came over with the order Buffy had placed when she had entered the coffee house, and placed the steaming cappuccino mugs and two cakes on the table between the pair.

Willow thanked the waitress, before turning to Buffy. “Ok, once more, with clarity please!” she said, and watched as the other woman reached out to pick one of the cakes from the middle of the table. She started to pull the cake into little pieces in a nervous manner, and then put one piece into her mouth, making Willow get impatient that she was procrastinating so much. “BUFFY!” she almost shouted, letting her friend know she meant business, and paired with her resolve face, got the reaction she was hoping for.

Buffy placed the rest of the cake onto the plate, took another deep breath, before looking up at Willow and then down again. She rung her hands together, not knowing what to do now she’d put the cake down. “I think I’m falling for Spike…I,I mean, I don’t know, it’s weird, I don’t know what’s happening, Wills, I don’t know what to do!” Her eyes began to fill with tears, but she refused to let them fall, instead looking up at the woman opposite her and waiting for her to speak. What she didn’t expect was the grin on her friends face.

Willow reached across the table, stilling Buffy’s still moving hands. She ran her fingers over the back of her palms, trying to comfort her friend as best she could. “Buffy, its ok. This is a good thing, ok? It means you’re moving on from Angel. Ok, so Spike’s your best friend, but still, he’s a hottie! He cares about you and he won’t hurt you. What makes you think you’re falling for him anyway?” she asked, not wanting to give anything of Spike’s feelings for her away. It was his responsibility to do that.

Buffy looked at her friend, and remembered back to the day before in the kitchen, when they’d been so close. “It started yesterday. He made me breakfast in bed, pancakes. He put a rose in a vase, and I realised Angel had never done anything like that. He was so caring, Wills. Then later, in the kitchen, he was helping me with the cooking, and…God, it was just amazing, we were just cooking, but we had a moment…A very close, non-friend moment. Then I woke up with him this morning…nothing happened”, she hastened to add, when she saw the look on Willow’s face, and it changed back to one of understanding when she said that. “He fell asleep cos I wouldn’t let his hand go last night, and he was tired. It felt right, waking up with him, and then he grabbed my hand, and I swear Will, the tingles I felt go up and down my arm from where he touched me? I’ve never felt anything like it.”

Willow looked deep in thought for a moment, and then opened her mouth to start talking. Buffy had been certain she’d try and warn her off of the idea, but she seemed more pleased than anything. “Buffy, do you think you’d try anything, like a relationship with him?” She seemed to be encouraging Buffy to go for it, and it was confusing her friend to no end.
She thought about it, and said “I don’t know, I mean, I’ve just got out of a relationship…but I think I want to. Yeah, I’d like to try something, but I don’t know if he even would. Can we talk about something else? Please? I wanna hear about Tara, you didn’t give me enough details! When can I meet her?? Willow let Buffy change the subject away from her, happy for now that she seemed open to the idea of her and Spike.

For the rest of the afternoon, they talked about Willow’s new relationship and planned for Buffy and Spike to meet her at her birthday party in a week’s time. They caught up on other gossip that they’d missed out on, and made plans to phone each other in a few days to confirm plans for Tara’s birthday party, and then Buffy left to go home to see her best friend.