Chapter 10

A seagull swooped down and landed a few feet from the blanket. Buffy watched the large white bird as he paced back and forth, begging for a snack. "Don’t be ridiculous." She turned back towards Spike and waved dismissively "My aunt is not dating anyone. I would know if my aunt was dating someone I mean she is my aunt." She absently ran her fingers up his forearm and studied him. "And by the way, shagging? Who are you, Austin Powers?"

"Yeah baby," he murmured.

Buffy rolled her eyes as she lay down on the blanket. Spike’s eyes roamed slowly over her lithe form. His eyes drinking in her flat stomach, tawny skin, and small pert breasts. He was amazed at her natural although not perfect beauty. Her flaws only added to her good looks as far as he was concerned. Looking at Buffy was like looking at fat grand babies and white picket fences, and he was fine with that.

Buffy peeked over at him and asked grinning, "What?"

I’m thinking that I’m a right lucky bloke, is all," he answered soberly. Buffy felt the warmth as her skin flushed under his intense gaze. Sensing her unease he continued, "And of course, that you look delicious in that bit of material." Buffy visibly relaxed and when her eyes closed once more, he continued his study of her. With the radio playing softly and the others on the beach so far away, it was like they were the only two people on the beach... or for that matter, in the world. He pulled off his shirt. "Can you put this in your bag for me? I don’t want to put it in with the food."

Buffy sat up opening her eyes. "Whoa! Thank goodness I have shades on! When was the last time you even saw the sun.

Spike looked down sheepishly at his chest and shrugged. "You are aware I was raised in London, right?"

"Yeah," she sat up and wrapped her arms around her legs. "But you moved to California! I can’t believe you been here this long and you’re still holding on to your London tan. If we weren’t sitting in the sun I would think that you were like a vampire or something. Spike, the sun is our friend." She reached into her bag and pulled out a small brown bottle. "Lay down on your stomach." She poured a generous amount of liquid on his back and began to knead it into his flesh. As her hands worked his muscles she started humming along to a song on the radio. She had to admit that she was impressed with his body, even as white as it was. Once he got some color to him he was going to be irresistible. Spike laid on the blanket in utter bliss. Her hands started on a downward trail that ended at the waistband of his shorts. As she oiled his lower back she felt a purr rumble in his chest. "Are you growling at me?" she asked incredulously.

"No, that would be weird."

"Then what was that?" she asked laughing. Her hands stopped as she waited for him to answer.

Spike sighed and rolled over, propping himself up on his elbows. "I have no idea what you are talking about, that’s my story and I will be sticking to it." He looked down at his chest and biting his bottom lip asked, "Now pet, what about my front."

Buffy sputtered as she toyed with the top of the bottle in her hand. click, click. click, click.

Just as Spike was going to let her off the hook, she stopped and smiled brazenly at him. click. She poured the amber liquid on his chest and watched it hungrily as it ran down his stomach. "Lay down," she pushed him over and straddled his waist. She reached down between their bodies and started kneaded his chest, never breaking eye contact. She suddenly stopped and placing her hands on either side of his head rolled her body down on his. Her eyes never left his as Buffy felt his stomach muscles contract as she slid ever so slightly up and down his body. She made use of the coating of oil to effectively lubricate the slow sensual motion. Buffy reached down and began gently worrying at his bottom lip and she felt his body shudder beneath hers as his eyes rolled back in his head.

His arms encircled her tiny waist as he rolled their bodies over. Buffy’s squeals were cut off as Spike’s mouth descended upon hers. She readily opened hers to accept his tongue. He tasted of whiskey and smoke and danger. She moaned into his mouth as waves of pleasure rolled through her stomach. They continued kissing, neither one wanting to be the first to stop.

"Do you two mind?" Buffy’s eyes shot open as she looked up into the disapproving face of Katelyn and Bennett’s mother. "This is a family beach. Get a room or better yet, you two need to go to church!" Katelyn peeked around her mother’s hips, eyes wide.

Buffy felt her stomach flip and her ears burn as she pushed Spike off of her. All around them she saw clusters of people whispering and looking at the pair. Suddenly the smells of the oil were overwhelming. She felt her stomach roll and the hair stand up on her arms. "I think I’m going to be sick," she whispered.

Spike looked at her concerned, knowing she spoke but not sure of what she said. Soon an older man joined them on the sand. "Excuse me but this is a private beach."

"You should have seen what they were about to do on your private beach," Katelyn and Bennett’s mom sneered.

Spike stood up, eyes flashing dangerously. "Sod off, you mousy old..."

"What did you just say to me?" she asked eyes narrowing.

"You really need to gather up your things and move to the public beach"

"I think I’m going to be sick." she whispered still sitting down. She looked up at them arguing and felt her stomach roll again. Her eyes began to water when she saw Katelyn take a nervous step away from the adults and Bennett stick his thumb in his mouth. "Oh my God." she said as she rolled over and threw up in the sand. Spike dropped down next to her to see if she was all right and that is when the tears began. She was so embarrassed that she just wanted to die. Firstly for the almost X-rated make-out session, then puking after only a couple of glasses of wine. But more then anything, she was embarrassed because this was the worst attempt at playing grown up that she had ever seen. The fact that it was her doing the acting only added insult to injury. She really thought she would be able to do this. And it made her stomach flip to realize that she wasn’t as sophisticated as she believed. She gave a watery cry.

"Is she all right:" she heard the older man ask. "Should I call somebody?"

Spike sighed after attempting to get her to look at him. "I think she’s all right, it seems to be a bad combination of alcohol and heat." At the word heat, Buffy’s cheeks burned, and there was a sharp intake of breathe. She turned her large eyes towards him and he felt her heart skip. She looked so unhappy with tears brimming in her eyes about to fall again. He touched her brow gently.

"Well now that everything’s settled, I’m going to have to ask you to leave. Like I said, this is a private beach." Spike turned hard blue eyes to the gentleman, effectively cutting him off. The color drained from his face as he took a step back. "That is, when the young lady is able of course," he added meekly. He turned and hurried up to his house.

Spike stood up turning towards the children’s mother, "Mrs....." he began.

"Jamison."

"Mrs. Jamison. I would like to apologize for my behavior. It was inappropriate, instead of listening to your words, I let myself get defensive." He turned to Katelyn and Bennett saying, "you lil’ bits have a wonderful mum who cares very much for you both.

Bennett popped his thumb out of his mouth and said quietly, "Thanks for the grapes."

Spike knelt down and started putting their things away. Buffy, quietly listening kicked sand over her mess. "You are quite welcome, Ben my boy. And next time." He stood and shook out the blanket. "Buffy and I will keep the kissing at home."

Mrs. Jamison mouthed, "Thank you." After a moment she added, "I still think you two need to go to church."

Spike put his arm around Buffy’s waist and gave her a tender hug. She buried her face into his shoulder as he chuckled with Mrs. Jamison. Spike looked down at the lovely woman in his arms and said, "I think it’s time for us to get going. Bennett. Katelyn. Mrs. Jamison, it was, er… an interesting afternoon."

Once they got to the parking lot Buffy broke away from Spike and hurried to her car. She hadn’t said a work the whole way back and Spike was starting to get concerned. "It’s still early Pet. You want to see a movie or maybe get a bite... well maybe not get a bite to eat. But we could.... I don’t know. Oh bugger it." He reached over and took her hands into his. "This is not how I envisioned this evening, Luv."

Buffy felt her lip quiver and her tired eyes filled once again. "I know." She moaned as she ran her hands through her hair. "This has been a terrible afternoon."

Spike furrowed his brow. "Well I don’t know if I’d say that. This day has had its high points. Besides, one day this afternoon will be the stuff of legends "He looked at her, a smile playing on his lips. He ran his fingers along the side of her face. "You are a special woman, Buffy Summers."