Chapter 11

Despite their rocky start and Buffy’s constant fear of being found out, their relationship flourished. And as with most new relationships, Buffy found most of her time was being spent with Spike. With Willow in a committed relationship and Cordelia kinda with Angel, they found that girl time was seriously lacking. So one sunny Sunday afternoon the trio made a point of spending some much needed time catching up with one another.

They went shopping.

Cordelia had spent most of the morning complaining about her on again off again boy toy Angel. At the present moment they were most definitely off. While Cordelia was out on a date with a Pre-Med. student named Doyle last weekend, she ran into Angel who was with Candi? Brandi? In any event, after the police were called and Candi/Brandi agreed not to press charges against Cordelia, the two brunettes were no longer speaking to each another. That, however, didn’t stop Cordelia from talking about Angel obsessively, even though she was still technically dating Doyle. One minute she was expounding on the virtues of being a doctors wife, the next she’d be standing in front of a rack of leather coats with tears in her eyes. Spike confided in Buffy one evening at a sushi bar that Angel was going through the ladies double time at the moment. The whole thing would be laughable if they weren’t perfect for each other.

"So what are you and Doctor Doyle doing tonight?" Willow asked in an attempt to break up the constant Angel bashing.

"We are not doing anything tonight, Doyle has a couple of big exams coming up before he goes back to Ireland for a visit." She sighed, dramatically running her fingers through a rack of twenty-percent-off silk blouses."And I asked you guys to stop calling him that. It makes him sound short," she finished meekly.

"Being short makes him short, Cordy." Buffy said picking up a hot pink message tee (I’m the new Mrs. Pitt!). "And wait till that hair line begins to go. Woo hoo." She put the tee back on the rack and turned to Cordelia. "But that doesn’t matter, right Cordy. As long as he’s rich and successful, what’s a hair plug or two." She smiled sweetly at the tall brunette. "It’s not like you care about things like, oh lets say, soulful brown eyes, or a big strong chest.

"And don’t forget that devil may care smile," Willows added.

"Yeah, the smile. Oh but that’s not something Cordelia would care about, right?"

"Umm, sure Buffy," she said with a far away look in her eye. Who cares about stuff like that. Besides, Doyle had brown eyes too. And Ohh the accent! He has a wickedly cool accent. He’s Irish...100%."

"Angel O’Farrell, hello," Willow said under her breath.

"Willow!" Cordelia grabbed a handful of blouses and stomped over to the dressing room, followed closely by a salesgirl. Once she was out of earshot, Buffy and Willow started laughing.

"You know that was very mean." Willow whispered outside the dressing room.

"I know, but you have to admit it’s so much fun. But sometimes it’s like shooting something in a barrel. An overly dress crab or you know---something. But we’ll pay for it for the rest of the afternoon."

"Yeah, because everybody knows the bitchy Cordelia is always the bell of the ball." Willow sat down heavily on the chair.

"You know what we have to do?" Buffy asked sitting down next to her.

"Go over to the multiplex to watch the new Michael Meyers comedy before she comes out?"

"No. I hate to admit it, but we have to get her and Angel back together.

Willow looked sharply at Buffy. "But Buffy, we don’t like Angel. Uhh do we like him now?" Angel had proven himself to be a jerk on more than one occasion in Willow’s opinion. He was conceited and egotistical and honestly thought he was God’s gift to women. However, despite his shortcomings both Buffy and Willow knew that Cordelia adorned him. It was a sight to see them together with the bickering and the pouting. Somehow he had wormed his way into her heart. The mighty Cordelia has been bested by the lowly school teacher, well not so much lowly as hot, more like the hot school teacher. Somewhere in hell Hitler was trying on ice skates.

"No, we don’t like him," she sighed heavily before continuing, "but Cordy does." Buffy held a green shirt in front of Willow. The redhead screwed up her nose and shook her head after her eyes glanced down at the price tag. "As much as it pains me to admit, they are good for each other. They were actually forcing each other to grow up. To see that it’s not all about them. And until we get those two back together I think it’s going to be raining every day in Cordy land."

"But, Buffy," Willow whined, "He’s n-not faithful, he’s boorish, vulgar and a complete poop head."

"I know, I know. But it is Cordy we’re talking about." Buffy looked over her shoulder as a haggard woman hurried out of the dressing room with an arm full of clothes. "I guess those didn’t fit Her Highness." The woman marched purposely back to the dressing room carrying a dozen new articles of clothing. "Come on let’s save that poor salesgirl," she leaned in and whispered, "besides if we don’t we’ll be sitting here looking at those awful pictures over there for the rest of the afternoon."

The two girls walked into the dressing room to the sound of Cordelia yelling and tossing clothes over the door. If Buffy wasn’t mistaken it also sounded like she had been crying. She turned to look at Willow’s startled face, realizing that she’d heard it too. Buffy pulled out her cell phone, and turning away punched in a number.

Willow stammered to Cordelia through the door. "I’m s-sorry Cordy. I won’t call Doctor Doyle umm Doctor Doyle again. But hey he’s just so very doctory and that’s good, right? He’s just what the umm doctor ordered. And I know that it sounds like I’m still teasing but that’s actually just my mouth running. See? I can’t stop," she turned to the older woman who was hanging up a blue blouse and pretending not to listen. "I kinda get runny at the mouth and I rant."

Cordelia opened the door to her dressing room suddenly saying, "shut up Willow."

"Thank you. I’m shutting up now." she smiled weakly at the pinched older woman’s face. Willow turned back to Cordelia and quietly asked, "Are you all right, I thought, that is Buffy and I thought we heard you crying."

Cordelia paused for a moment and held up a black dress giving Willow a watery smile. "I’m fine. Look at me, why wouldn’t I be fine. So what if Angel is anything but an angel. I have everything I’ve ever wanted. I have my doctor, I have my youth and my incredible beauty." She put the black dress in the salesgirl arms and turned to Willow before continuing. If anyone should be fine, it’s me." Cordelia reached into her bag and handed the salesgirl a gold card.

Buffy walked back to her friends saying, "We should go out somewhere so you can wear that new dress of yours. And I have just the place."