Chapter 17

Later that evening Jenny sat in the yard with Rupert enjoying the cool night air, when they heard Dawn’s sorrowful cries. Jenny jumped up and ran through the back door of her house. Dawn stood in the kitchen holding her shorts as tears steamed down her cheeks. Jenny bent down and whispered, "Hush, sweetie. Why all the tears?" Jenny gently gathered her little one in her arms as Rupert stood in the doorway. She heard her daughter sniff as she tried to slow down her tears.

"I forgot to take it out." Dawn wiped her nose on her mother’s shirt absently. Jenny and Rupert exchanged a glance and smile as Dawn continued undaunted.

Kids.

"What did you forget to take out, honey?" she asked tenderly.

"My picture of Buffy....at school.....and she looked so pretty," Dawn added sadly. She handed her mother a melted photo. Jenny could barely make out the Buffy shaped form.

"Oh Dawnie. Don’t worry, we can get you another school picture." Dawn looked at her mother hopefully. "When we go to Buffy’s birthday party, we’ll ask Aunt Joy to give you another one." Jenny walked over to the freezer and pulled out a blue Popsicle. "I have a Popsicle here that I think can make things better ‘til the party.

"Will Will’um be at the party?" Dawn asked slurping on the frozen treat.

Jenny paused and laughing said, "Why on earth would your teacher be at Buffy’s party?" She opened the refrigerator and pulled out a beer for herself. She wordlessly offered her guest one. Rupert thanked her and took a long pull on the bottle.

Dawn concentrated on licking the blue liquid as it ran down to her hand. "I don’t know," she said absently. She looked up at her mother and said, "Can I get a baby brother? Emily just got a baby brother. Can I get one too?" She looked down at her blue hand and brightly added, "Or a puppy!"

Both adults sputtered up beer and once again their eyes met. Rupert put his beer down and removed his glasses. Jenny also placed her drink down as her cheeks reddened. "I swear, Dawn," she laughed nervously, "your mind is all over the place." She smoothed down Dawn’s hair and continued, "Why don’t you go brush your teeth and get ready for bed, OK?"


On the day of the party Buffy stood admiring her cake. "Buffy! Buffy!" She look up to see Dawn running towards her, two thick ponytails trailing behind her. Buffy turned just as Dawn launched herself into her arms. "Happy Birthday, Buffy!" she squealed kissing her cousin on the cheek. "I had a picture of you from school, but stupid Logan spilled apple juice on me when the Indians danced with us, and I washed them by accident so my mom told me to ask for another picture. Can I have one please?"

Buffy frowned not really following her little cousin’s story but replied, "Umm, sure?" Before she could say anything else she heard someone clear their throat in the doorway. Buffy turned, looking over her shoulder to see her Aunt and an obviously nervous man standing at the threshold.

"Hi Buffy," Jenny said. Buffy gave her a sympathetic smile, realizing that her Aunt was just as nervous as her guest. "Is Joy around?"

"Yeah, she’s upstairs. She’ll be down in a minute." Buffy let her gaze fall on the gentleman at Jenny’s side.

"Oh, where is my head? Rupert Giles this is my niece Buffy. Buffy this is my well, this is...Rupert."

"Pleasure to finally meet you, Buffy." He said in a cultured voice.

"So, Giles, what exactly are your intentions with my Aunt?" Buffy smiled sweetly waiting for his response.

Rupert smiled tightly as Jenny whacked Buffy on the arm. "Behave," she warned.

Dawn slid out of Buffy’s arms and walked towards the refrigerator to get herself a juice box. From somewhere upstairs they heard Joyce call down, "Buffy, is that Jenny I hear down there?"

"Yes, Joy, come down here. I want you to meet someone." Jenny grasped Rupert’s hand and beamed. He kissed her tenderly as Buffy looked on.

Upstairs Joyce ran the brush through her hair a final time. She paused, looking at the face staring back at her. ‘Where have all the years gone?’ she thought. She listened to Buffy’s laugh as it floated up from the kitchen. It seemed like just yesterday, Joyce was laying on her stomach, travel brochures of Europe spread out all over her bed, with Cream playing on the radio. Now she had a daughter who was going to college next year. "When did I become so old?" she wondered aloud.

"Whatcha say?" Buffy asked from the doorway. "Are you in here wigging yourself out?" Buffy sighed dramatically. "Mom, if I can handle turning 18, why can’t you? What’s the sitch?" Buffy walked over and flopped on the bed.

Joyce smiled softly at her daughter, "I know I’m being silly, but I guess I’m feeling my age all of a sudden." She pulled Buffy towards her and whispered, "So how is he? Does he seem nice?"

"I don’t know. He seems nice enough, if you go for the librarian type. He’s nothing like--" She stopped suddenly and looked at her mother, as if by speaking his name she would have the power to raise the dead.

"Oh, honey, I know. I often wonder how Ethan turned out the way he did. He never did truly understand what he had in Jenny and Dawn. And unfortunately he never will." She released Buffy and stepped back. "Enough of the sad thoughts." Today is a celebration. It’s not every day you turn eighteen. Now let’s go see this boyfriend of Jenny’s." The two made their way downstairs to the kitchen. Joyce scrutinized the man would had managed to captured her former sister-in-law’s heart.

"Joy, this is Rupert. Rupert, this is Joyce." Jenny looked at her nervously.

He extended his hand, simply saying, "Joyce."

She smiled warmly at the Englishman.