Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you so much all who are reading!! and double thanks to those who take the time out to say hey!
Chapter 31

Buffy's lunch date with Cordelia turned in to a afternoon of leisure for the pair. Willow had opted to stay home with Oz instead of going with the duo, complaining of a upset stomach. After lunch Cordelia and Buffy did a little shopping and then treated themselves to some time at the spa. Buffy toyed with the idea of telling her about her visit with Spike but with the wedding fast approaching, Cordelia was just too distracted to be of any help to Buffy. Besides, Buffy kinda enjoyed the secret of it all and she wanted it to be just hers for a little while longer. She knew that the idea of her and Spike starting anything again, no matter how innocent, so close to the wedding would spell unnecessary stress for the former cheerleader. After a pore cleansing body wrap and a deep tissue massage, the ladies parted.

Buffy all but floated up her driveway later that evening. Humming a happy tune she quietly opened the front door and saw her mother sitting on the couch reading a book. “Hey stranger,” her mother whispered setting the paperback aside. “I haven't seen you since this morning.”

Buffy sighed and sat down next to her mom. Her body practically vibrated with happiness. She laid her head on her mother's shoulder and sighed again. “What, may I ask, happened to you? Why are you in such a sickenly blissful mood?” Joyce looked at her daughter's joyful face and beamed. It was so nice to see Buffy again and even nicer to see the happiness return with her. For to long she was in this big house all alone. Some nights it was so quiet that she'd thought she'd go insane. Sure she had Xander come by for dinner when his father's drinking was too much for him to deal with, and Willow would occasionally check up on her, but it wasn't the same as having someone to care for and watch over.

“I'm just so glad to be back home.” Buffy simply stated. “Can't a girl miss her mommy.”

Joyce put her arms around her only child and squeezed. “Of course a girl can miss her mommy. I just think there's more to this sudden burst of joyfulness.”

“Maybe,” Buffy said coyly.

“Alright, who is he?” Joyce looked at her daughter and quirked her eyebrow.

“Well, Spike and I--”she began.

Joyce leaned back and stared at her daughter, “Oh Buffy!” she groaned. “Please tell me you haven't started up with that man again! There's just too much pain there.” Joyce thought back to those final weeks before Buffy went to Ohio. The muffled tears behind closed door. The pleading for her daughter to just talk to her, to tell her what was going on. The fear that the Buffy that she knew was lost to her, never to return again.

Buffy jumped up and spun to face her mother. “I went to his house this morning.” She cut her mother off with a gesture, “—just to talk. Clear the air, so to speak and we just...reconnected.” Buffy knelt at her mother's feet and grasped her hands. “Mom, he still cares, I know he does.”

“Oh honey, I don't doubt that he does care for you still. No one holds on to that much resentment unless they do. I just wonder can you go back, is it worth the effort.” Joyce cupped her daughter's face and kissed her forehead. “I just don't want to see him hurt you again. I—I mean, what if--”

Buffy threw herself in her mother's arm. “I'm not going to run away.” she whispered. “I'll never do that to you again, mom.” Buffy looked into her mom's fearful teary eyes and once again felt she had so much to make up for. Buffy slid off Joyce's lap never taking her head from her shoulder. They sat that way till Buffy phone began to ring. “Let it go to voicemail,” Buffy mumbled, never lifting her head.”

Joyce chuckled and replied, “No, that's alright. See who it is while I start dinner, Okay?” She glanced at the mantle clock and said to herself, “maybe I'll just order out instead.” She turned to Buffy and mouthed “Chinese or Mexican?”

Buffy placed her cell phone to her chest and said, “Do you mind if I take a rain check?” She looked at her mother with pleading eyes and pouted lips. Joyce rolled her eyes as Buffy smiled in response. “I'm going to take this upstairs,” she breathed, as she hurried up to her room.

Once she was in the privacy of her bedroom Buffy's grin widen as she dropped her bags on her desk. She slide on top her bed and said, “wow, I really didn't expect to hear from you again.”

Spike stood on the back deck looking out at the last of the setting sun. He had been busy ever since she left him earlier that day. He had begun the painful task of moving Fred's things out the night before. But that really just consisted of him dumping a few thing in a box and then going out to get plastered. After Buffy's visited he went back to collecting Fred's things, once of course he realized he wasn't going to be able to return to sleep. As the day grew later, Spike had a revelation. Why bother? He got his phone and left Fred what he hoped was a non-combative message telling her that the moving out of her things was going to fall on her shoulders. He patted himself on the back for not mentioning all the willing help she would probably have in a couple of her male friends. Hell, let the Professor and Gunn fight it out for all he cared. He was done with it. He was going to find himself a nice hotel and take a mini vacation and let her have the house for a few days, maybe till the wedding. That way they wouldn't have to make nice any longer then necessary.

I was just standing here, and I realized that I hadn't had dinner and I didn't feel like eating alone.....so I was wondering, that is if you haven't already, do you want to get something to eat.

Buffy smiled.