Chapter 9

Buffy walked quickly to her car at the end of the school day. After Mr. Lyons class she checked her messages to find out what Spike had wanted. He had called to see if she wanted to meet him at the beach for alittle sun and some dinner. After connecting with Willow about the cover story, she called Spike back to iron out the details. She didn’t even have to run home, because in her truck she carried ‘the bag’. Walk up to any true Cali girl, regardless of whether they be black or white, blond or brunette and they all carry some version of ‘the bag’. In Buffy’s was the essentials: sun block, towel, bottled water, and two swim suits. One for when she’s with her mom and one for when she’s, well not. It was just as vital as carrying water in the desert. Every girl Buffy knew had such a bag, difference being the suits.

Today was definitely a bikini day as Buffy glanced at her small white polka dot suit. She smiled thinking of what his reaction was going to be when she walked onto the beach in it. She hurriedly pinned up her hair and started the car.

Fifteen minutes later she pulled into the lot next to the sand. She heard the laughter of the many children running towards the water. She scanned the white sand looking for Spike when she heard a tap on her glass. Buffy looked up into Spike’s blue eyes and smiled. She rolled down her window and he said, "Hello Pet."

Buffy jumped out of the car and grabbed her beach bag. "Hi yourself," She closed and locked the door to her car. "I need to get changed. Where are we going to sit." She adjusted her shades and took his hand.

"It doesn’t matter to me, where ever you decide, Luv. I hope you’re hungry, I packed us a nice cold dinner with some wine." He held up a bottle and met her eyes. Spike looked down at the small blond in front of him and not for the first time was unnerved by the depths of his feelings. All day his thoughts kept coming back to her. It was during afternoon nap that he was finally able to steal away and call her. He asked her to spend the evening with him watch the sunset at the beach. When she called back she had readily agreed. He brought her hand to his lips and kissed it.

She colored slightly and said shyly, "I’ll be right back." He watched her small bottom as she walked away.

Spike hefted the basket and his blanket and waited for her on the sand. When Buffy emerged for the dressing area, he had two thoughts in quick succession. The first was how utterly beautiful she was and the pride of being the one on her arm, and the second was a fierce protectiveness. He immediately saw the interest of every male in the vicinity. The white material almost glowed in comparison to the golden sheen of her skin. The suit left little to the imagination but somehow she still managed to carry herself with class. Spike quickly walked to her side. Buffy saw Spike’s reaction to her suit and she knew she made the right choice. She bounced back over to her car, depositing her clothes and valuables before making her way over to him. She took the blanket from him and once again grasped his hand. They started walking through the late afternoon crowd. "How was school?" he asked.

"It was fine. You know math and sciency things. Nothing interesting." Her heart started racing as it did every time they started talking about her personal life. It was a land mine she knew. "It’s a beautiful afternoon let’s not talk about school. I hate talking about classes. How about over there?" She asked suddenly pointing to a small piece of beach that was set apart.

"Well Pet," he paused and scanned the landscape. "I do believe that is a private beach." he tried to continue walking when he felt Buffy pull against him.

"So what," she said in a staged whispered. "It’s so nice and I’d hate to see that beautiful view be wasted. Besides, what’s the worst that can happen?" She smiled and gave him a quick kiss. He reluctantly allowed her to lead him to the private beach. "That’s true," he laughed. "Besides, we can have a little privacy." He wiggled his brow at her and she playfully slapped his arm.

When they were satisfied that they found a place where they wouldn’t be readily spotted from the house on the cliff, they set up the blanket. Buffy sat down and immediately started digging in the basket. Spike sat down next to her and smiled at her excitement . "Ooohhh turkey." She was about to put a small piece in her mouth when she glanced up at Spike’s amused face. "So I like to eat." Buffy said grinning.

Spike laughing, pulled her to him and kissed her. Buffy dropped the sandwich and snaked her fingers through his hair. Spike nibbled on her bottom lip and she pressed her body closer to his. His hands skimmed lightly over her body and came to rest on the small of her back.

"Mommy, Mommy look!" Buffy broke away from Spike and turned to see a brown skinned boy of about five staring at them. He smiled slyly at them and stated, "You were kissing."

Buffy felt her face burn as the little boy’s mother grab his hand and pulled him away. When they were out of view she buried her face in his chest "Two days, it’s official. You have corrupted me." Buffy peeked up into his face and tenderly ran her finger across his brow. "Now it’s your turn. Tell me about you. I don’t even know your last name. She leaned back suddenly saying, "You’ve been sticking your tongue down my throat, and I don’t even know your last name. I’m a scanky ho.

"Oi Luv, there will be no talk like that." He nuzzled her neck, "If we’re moving fast, it’s because we both feel it Pet." He stopped and turning serious said, "It’s been awhile since I’ve felt this strongly about anyone, since I even wanted to. The last time I gave someone my heart it ended badly. So badly in fact, I had to leave the bloody country." Buffy furrowed her brow about to speak when he continued softly, "I was ready for a change, Pet. I thought the change would be marriage but," he trailed off. Giving a self-conscious shrug he continued, "Besides, I’m glad I hopped the pond. Otherwise I would have never met you." He leaned in and kissed her lightly on the lips and leered. "Now how about we work ourselves up an appetite? I mean that is what we’re here for innit?"

"What did you have in mind?" she responded coyly.

"Ohh I don’t know. Maybe a little of this," he kissed her fingertips. "And a little of that," he leaned over and kissed her neck, "and this of course." he added hoarsely as he kissed her jaw, "and we can’t forget." He captured her mouth once again.

"Mom they’re doing it again." Buffy again turned to find herself looking at the little brown skinned boy. This time he had an older girl with him. I told you, Katelyn. They were kissing."

The little girl smiled shyly at Buffy and said, "You’re pretty." Buffy returned the smile as Spike growled next to her, "So much for bleeding privacy." he muttered.

Buffy slapped at him playfully and said "Katelyn, is it?" The little girl nodded. "What’s your friend’s name?"

"He’s not my friend; he’s my little brother, Ben." Katelyn giggled and said, "He said that there were two people kissing over here."

"Yeah," Ben added. "My mom said that you’re ‘posta kiss at home, not at the beach."

"Yes, right, you see Ben, normally your mother is spot on. There are however, the occasional exception."

"Exception?" Katelyn asked, putting her hands on her hips.

"Right, exceptions." Buffy said. "I’m not sure what exception, but I know we are two of them." There was a pause, where the kids stared at Buffy and Spike. Then Buffy asked, "Wanna grape?"

Katelyn turned to Ben, who shrugged his shoulders and said, "Sure." As the kids popped the green grapes in their mouth, Spike reached out to grasp Buffy’s hand.

"Can you do me a favor?" she asked reaching into her bag. "Can you put sun block in my back and shoulders. I could do it myself but I think it would be a lot more fun if you did it." Buffy was about to hand Spike the bottle when a little bit of string fell on the blanket.

Katelyn picked up the woven bracelet, "Did you make this?" She turned it over. "I made one in school too." She paused and looked up at Buffy. "You didn’t do that great a job on yours."

"I made some with my kids last week," Spike said frowning as he took the bracelet from Katelyn. "I think it’s quite fetching, actually."

Buffy laughed," I didn’t make it. That was a gift and I think it’s beautiful." She took the bracelet and put in back in her bag.

"Katelyn! Bennett! Get over here right now!" Both children stood up quickly and scurried towards their mother. Bennett dropped a handful of grapes as his mother grabbed his arm and dragged him and his sister back to their blanket.

Spike turned to Buffy with a devilish grin and asked, "Now where were we?" Buffy thrust the sun block in his chest with out saying a word. "You’re a cheeky one." He opened the top and poured a little on her shoulders. Spike looked longingly at her smooth column of neck and sighed. He leaned in a placed a kiss on her pulse point.

"Hey, you! Hands only. We obviously have an audience." Buffy turned to look at him momentary. "Hey, you know what’s weird? My aunt called me cheeky last night."

"What’s so weird about that?" he asked tuning her so that her back was towards him. He started rubbing in the sun block.

"Well first off, isn’t cheeky one of those bugger, pip pip English words. And my aunt was born in Montana." Buffy picked up the grapes and popped one in her mouth. She reached over her shoulder and put a few of them in Spike’s mouth.

Well that’s a no brainer, she shagging an Englishman."