Author's Chapter Notes:
Quote from Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
“A good heart will help you to a bonny face, my lad ... and a bad one will turn the bonniest into something worse than ugly.” --Nelly

*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


Buffy was waiting in the living room. She'd rushed home, quickly showered and applied her makeup. Choosing an outfit took only a few minutes; she opted for a small, short, black dress and high heels that would be fine for the restaurant and not look too out of place at the Bronze.

Dawn sauntered into the room and stared at the alien who had replaced her sister. "You're never ready early. I looked in your room and there isn't even the usual pile of clothes and shoes that were no good. What's up with that?"

Buffy sighed and flicked a wisp of hair out of her eyes. She looked at the delicate silver watch on her right wrist, she still couldn't get used to it there - stupid cast - there was a half hour to go. "I guess I just want to get it over with," she said. "I'm going, but you know, Parker isn't exactly who I'd like to be hanging out with tonight."

Dawn grinned, "Yeah? Who would you rather be going out with?" She plopped herself down on the couch next to Buffy. "Not still hung up on Angel?"

"No. Not Angel. Nobody really," Buffy said evasively, "just not looking forward to Parker."

Dawn laughed, "Ha! Don't know why that'd be. He's so fascinating." She batted her eyelashes at her sister exaggeratedly. "Hey! Maybe he'll ask you to go to the cotillion. Won't that be fun?"

Buffy groaned, "Please. Don't jinx me."

Dawn paused a moment and said, "Hey Buffy, this is the first year I get to go…and…"

Buffy turned to her, "…and?"

Dawn grabbed a pillow and rested her chin on it, "…and well, I know you're not too happy with Cordy right now and I know you don't have a dress yet and…well, neither do I and tomorrow's Saturday and the mall's you know, open on Saturdays and-"

Buffy regarded her sister with a fondness that she rarely let show openly and let her off the hook. "Hey Dawn, I don't have too much to do tomorrow. I'm kinda bored actually. You want to go and check out some dresses for the cotillion?"

Dawn's face lit up with a brilliant smile, "Yeah. Yeah, that'd be great." She mashed the pillow around a little. "Mom said she'd take me, but…" Both girls laughed. "Yeah, you know how she is. I'd end up in something up to my neck with ballet flats on my feet or something. Probably with a bow in my hair." Dawn shuddered.

Buffy laughed at Dawn's dismay, having been through the whole shopping with mom experience many times. "Not a problem. We'll find something good. The dance is kind of boring anyway; the shopping's the only good part." She giggled. "The guys are all wishing they weren't there, the girls are criticizing everyone else's dresses, and everyone's trying to figure out how to sneak out to the golf course without being noticed so they can hang out in peace. If someone manages to spike the punch it gets worse. Last year John Mills ended up in a golf cart in the middle of a water hazard." She made a face. "Oh and remember Mrs. Dell?"

Dawn rolled her eyes. "We only took ballroom with her for two years. Of course I do. She's a little bit—“

Buffy laughed again, "Yup, nutty. Year before last, she was in charge and she made us do all of these organized dances for hours. The guys were not happy, let me tell you." She mimicked her old teacher's quavering, yet imperious tones, "Back straight! Head up! Glide, don't stomp! Really girls, are you young ladies or elephants?" Dawn had joined in on the last line, having heard it a multitude of times over the course of her lessons. "She also totally went off on Megan Arthur for like ten minutes for 'misuse of a fish fork'."

Dawn giggled. "How do you misuse a fish fork?"

Buffy shook her head, "I have noooo idea. The rest of us were all, oooo she's distracted, thank God. I snuck out to the ladies' room around then." She paused, "But I know where to go to get our dresses. There are a couple of shops in town that are better than the mall. At the mall, there's the possibility, HORRORS," she said affectedly, "that you could end up in the same dress as someone else. That would simply not be suitable," she waggled a finger in Dawn's face then fell back into her normal voice, "You go to these places and the ladies steer you away from the stuff that someone's already bought. Lowers the chances of showing up in a duplicate." She looked down at her fingers, sobering, "Cordy used to drag me up to L.A. for stuff like that though, usually."

"What happened with Cordy, Buffy?" Dawn asked. “She never calls anymore.”

Buffy said lightly, "Turns out she wasn't that great a friend."

"What did she do?"

"Well, you know Angel and I broke up." Dawn nodded and Buffy continued, "She glommed onto him right away."

"Oh." Dawn looked thoughtful, "Buffy, did you really love Angel?"

Buffy said softly, "I thought I did. I mean, yeah, I thought I did." Then she frowned, "But now I'm not so sure."

"Well, not that I'm wishing depression and misery on you or anything," Dawn paused, "well, any more than I am usually." Buffy smacked her with another couch pillow. "But, shouldn't you have been, I don't know, a little more sad? And—" a sly look crept over Dawn's face, "I did notice the large pile of rejected clothes when you were getting dressed to go to the gym yesterday…" 'Score!' Dawn thought and nearly laughed aloud at the 'deer in headlights' look on her sister's face. "There is a new guy," she said gleefully, reveling in her sister's discomfort.

Buffy picked at the stitching on the pillow. "Maybe." She said noncommittally. "Can you keep a secret? I mean, you're acting sort of human today," Dawn snorted, "and I can't really talk about this to anyone else so..."

Dawn bounced up excitedly, "I can keep a secret!"

Buffy swallowed nervously, "Uh…there might be someone I like…"

Dawn said impatiently, "C'mon Buffy, that's not a secret, I just said that. Who is it?"

"William." Buffy blurted out quietly. "But it doesn't matter, I mean, I don't think he likes me that way and-"

Dawn snorted again, "Your tutor? The guy that was over here? I told you he likes you." She grinned, "He does have a really cute accent…"

"Yeah, he does, doesn't he?" Buffy smiled. "But no, he's going out with someone else tonight so-"

"So are you. You like Parker?" Dawn said pointedly.

"No. But I do think he likes this girl…why-" Buffy looked at Dawn, "why do you think he likes me?"

"C'mon, Buffy, haven't you noticed the way he looks at you? He really likes you." Dawn rolled her eyes at her sister's obtuseness. "All you have to do is tell him you like him and voila - you've got a new boyfriend."

Buffy sighed, "It's not that simple, Dawn."

"Sure it is!" Dawn replied cheerfully, but before she could say anything else, Joyce entered the room.

"Dawn, could you leave us for a minute? I'd like to talk to Buffy." Joyce said.

"Uh yeah, sure." Dawn got off the couch and headed for the stairs, "Don't forget tomorrow, Buffy!" She got a few steps up and turned back, "And he so does." She winked and hopped up the rest of the way.

Buffy shook her head, hoping she wouldn’t regret that moment of indiscretion, and turned her attention to her mother, now sitting beside her.

"Buffy, you know you don't have to go out with Parker if you don't want to, don't you?" Joyce said with a concerned look on her face.

Buffy looked back at the pillow, "I know, Mom. But it's easier if I do, isn't it? Anyway, I did say I would." She shrugged and smiled wryly, "That'll teach me not to pay attention. It's just one night. No big."

Joyce brushed back the wayward strand of hair Buffy had tried to tame earlier. "I know. But I wanted you to know that you don't have to go just because your father wants you to." Her lips firmed, "He'll be gone after next week again anyway, to Hong Kong this time, for six weeks."

"It's ok, Mom. Really. It's not like I don't know Parker." Buffy said calmly, seeing her mother's distress. "Six weeks, huh? Longer than last time."

Joyce sighed. "Yes, sometimes I wonder why they can't get one of the younger men to go. The ones without families…" She smiled, but her eyes still looked worried and Buffy wondered when her mother had started to look so very tired. "But, you know your father. No one can do as good a job as he can."

"Yeah." Buffy said.

The doorbell rang and Buffy rose to answer it. Joyce laid a hand on her arm, gently and said low, but emphatically, "Just know that you don't have to do everything he says, Buffy. You can talk to me and we'll work things out. I know sometimes he pushes and I worry-"

Buffy covered her mother's hand a moment, smiled and said, "Have to get the door, Mom."

*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


Parker was unexpectedly pleasant and interesting as they ate dinner at an upscale steakhouse downtown. Buffy wasn't sure where this Parker had come from and was thrown off balance by it. They both weren't looking forward to the cotillion and found common ground discussing humorous stories from past dances. She supposed she shouldn't be so shocked that Parker could find something to talk about with her that wasn't on the topic of himself for once, but she was a little surprised he was actually making the effort.

He was sort of handsome, she thought grudgingly, and charming when he wanted to be.

The food was good and Buffy found herself relaxing as they ate dessert.

"So," Parker said, smiling, "where to next?"

Buffy raised her eyes from her sorbet, "Oh! Um, well, you'd mentioned the Bronze. I mean, that'd be good."

Parker ducked his head a little shyly, "You sure you want to go there? There'll be a ton of people and well, I was hoping we could go somewhere by ourselves." He shot her a winning smile. "I must confess that I wasn't devastated to hear that you two broke up. Angel's been monopolizing you these past years; I was hoping to get to know you better." He flashed her another grin at this. "After all, I don't know grown-up Buffy very well at all, always seeing you in those big crowds of friends…or out to dinner with the parents."

Buffy floundered awkwardly at this and decided to just come out with it, "Parker, why did you ask me out tonight? I mean, like you said we've known each other forever and we've never—there's never been—"

He reached across the table and took her hand, stroking it lightly, voice sincere, "Maybe I've never had the chance. Angel's always been in the picture, hasn't he? C'mon, Buffy, is that so hard to believe?"

She freed her hand, giving his a pat as she did so, "Parker, I'm just not sure…it's so soon after Angel and…I think I need a little time to—"

"No problem, Buffy. I totally understand." He looked a little disappointed, but said, "We'll head to the Bronze as planned."

Buffy smiled in relief, "Ok, sounds good."

"Shall we?" He pulled her chair out for her and they left the restaurant.

*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


'Stupid.' Buffy thought. 'Of course, they were going here. She sings here." They'd arrived at the Bronze at nine thirty and the band was in full swing. Drusilla was luminous in white, swaying and singing in the spotlight, playing to the room like a good entertainer, but Buffy noticed her gaze went to a table in the corner frequently and was unsurprised to spot the gleam of William's hair at said table.

Suddenly, she realized she didn't want William to see her with Parker. She tugged at Parker's arm, "Let's sit over there?" She pointed to a vacant table in the dark corner on the opposite side.

Parker smiled and acquiesced, leading her over to the table she'd indicated. "We're lucky to get a spot at all," he commented. "This band is pretty good."

Buffy gritted her teeth slightly, but admitted, "Yeah, they are. A little downbeat for my taste, though."

He pulled out her chair and said, "But great for slow dancing," and winked at her.

'Ugh,' Buffy thought, 'dancing is not of the good when hiding.' "You know, I'm feeling kind of mellow tonight, not really in a dancy mood. Let's just hang here, ok?"

"Whatever you like," Parker sketched a bow at her, "What does my lady desire to drink?"

"Uh, diet coke, thanks." Buffy said and Parker left for the bar.

Buffy studied the blond head across the room intently, but couldn't see William's face. The dim, moody lighting of the club was perfect for hiding, but less good for observing. She noted that there were a few people sitting with him, but couldn't tell who they were. Sighing, she wondered how long she had to stay before she could gracefully end the date. It didn't matter that Parker had been nicer tonight than he'd ever been, or that he'd told her in no uncertain terms that he was interested in her. Even if Angel hadn't warned her off, she wasn't interested in Parker. Since the moment she'd admitted it to Dawn earlier, Buffy had been consumed with thoughts of William. If she was honest with herself, he’d occupied her thoughts longer than that. Maybe her sister was right and he did like her. Maybe he was just too shy to tell her so.

Buffy looked at Drusilla performing onstage and rolled her eyes at herself, 'Maybe he's got a ton of other stuff to think about and one of them is standing up there looking all seductive and sophisticated and cool.' She snorted, she didn't think seductive, sophisticated or cool were words that would be applied to her any time soon. 'Cute, pretty, maybe beautiful on a good day,' she thought dispassionately, 'cool and sophisticated, not so much.' As for seductive, Buffy's experience in that arena was…limited and she felt a little silly whenever she tried for sexy. Buffy knew she could dance provocatively, but take her off the dance floor and giggles were more likely to come out than sexy purrs. The dance floor wasn't a "real" place to Buffy, so she could let herself go without fear. But being alone with Angel had been very real and far more awkward.

Parker finally returned with the drinks after what seemed like forever and set Buffy's in front of her. "Sorry, the line at the bar was crazy," he said.

Buffy took a sip and wrinkled her nose. Parker’s attention was on the stage and he missed her sudden frown. He'd somehow gotten alcohol in the drink. Buffy wasn't familiar enough with liquor to know what exactly, but whatever it was she knew she didn't like it. She pondered what to do. She certainly wasn't going to drink the stuff, it tasted nasty and from a couple painful past experiences, she knew she and alcohol were definitely not mixy. Parker could've asked her if she wanted alcohol instead of assuming, she thought, annoyed.

"Hey, be right back, I'm gonna go say hello to the guys," Parker got up, "unless you want to say hi too?" He looked back at her.

Buffy shook her head. "Nope, like I said, feeling kind of quiet tonight. Say hi for me." She smiled and thought, 'Good, ok…this tastes horrible, what can I—' she spied a tray of empty glasses and bottles nearby that the waitress had left unattended momentarily. 'Thank goodness.' Buffy tipped most of her drink into one of the glasses and went back to the table.

*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


Buffy checked her watch. Parker had now been gone for a full half hour. 'Ok, when does it become ok to try to get home,' she thought. 'If this is how he treats someone he's interested in, it's no wonder he's never had a long term girlfriend.'

"Buffy!" Parker slid into the chair next to her and wrapped his arms around her. She flinched and edged away as much as she could. "Sorry I was gone so long!" He nudged her ear with his nose and then nipped at the lobe with his teeth.

Buffy put a hand on his arm, trying to push him away. He was acting like a completely different person. She looked more closely at him and noticed his eyes were a little glassy.

Instead of backing off, Parker pulled her tighter into the circle of his arms. "C'mon Buffy, don't be mad. I wanted to come back sooner," he said. "I see you enjoyed your drink," this was accompanied by a broad smile. "So, surely you're feeling a little more relaxed and friendly now aren't you?" He stroked one of Buffy's bare arms slowly down and then up again, lingering by her breast on the upstroke. "A drink always relaxes me and after all you got us this nice, dark table..."

Buffy stared at him disbelievingly, they'd talked about how she felt at dinner, why was he so aggressive all of a sudden? What could make him think she'd changed her mind?

"C'mon baby, Angel told me you're slow to warm up, but once you're into it, you're an animal." He leered at her, "Won't you warm up for me? There's a nice private pool house waiting for us back at my place."

Buffy's eyes widened, "Angel would never-"

"Oh Angel did, sweetheart. You think he didn't share all," he rolled the word on his tongue, "the kinky details with us? Hey don’t worry, it only made you look even better," he said, licking his lips suggestively and staring knowingly into her eyes.

“No! Parker, no! Let me go!” He didn’t release her and Buffy had had enough. The band was on a break and the filler music was very loud. No one in the vicinity was paying any attention to her and Parker and she wasn’t sure she could count on anyone nearby to intervene. Parker's hand moved to cup her breast and she reacted quickly. Positioning the heel of her shoe just perfectly, she brought it down as hard as she could on his toes and when he dropped his hands, shot her hand at his nose as best she could with his current proximity. It was an attempt at one of the moves William had gone through quickly that afternoon and involved bending her hand back at the wrist and hitting the target with the bottom of her palm to prevent wrist injury. Hurting her uninjured wrist was the last thing she needed to happen.

Buffy had a fleeting second to think with satisfaction, ‘Ok, need to practice that, but the distraction part worked pretty well,' as he abruptly let her go completely and brought his hands to his face. Buffy grabbed her purse and fled into the crowd before he could recover.

*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


Buffy had thought of asking one of her friends for a ride home, but they all looked like they were having a good time and she really didn't want to explain what had happened. Besides, what Parker had said about Angel was making her head ache. She didn't know if it was true or not, but she had no desire to see Angel.

Hanging around until Parker found her was not an option. She quickly exited the Bronze and ran down the street towards the safe haven of the diner. The sound of her heels tapping the concrete loudly in the relative quiet outside the club unnerved her and she hastened to get inside the diner's cheerfully lit interior.

Once there, she flipped open her cell and pushed the speed dial number she wanted.

"Mommy?" Buffy said and the stress of the last few minutes hit her, making her voice shaky, "Could you come get me?"

*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


End note: A huge thank you to Caia who sent me an email that described the move Buffy used on Parker in this chapter. Caia also left a method of getting out of the ‘on the ground with someone sitting on top of you’ situation in her review of the last chapter if you want to check it out. She wanted to make the point that you can always do *something*in a bad situation. Thanks very much for your help and useful information, Caia.

Please review if you have the time :) Thanks to everyone who reviewed so far! Even if it’s criticism, I like to see what you think.