Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who has reviewed so far:): cordykitten, Sotia, PhotographyNut, Spiked_Slayer


ALSO thank you again to my lovely beta who took the time to edit this chapter for me Chriss Nicole:) *hugs*
Chapter 16:


"It's ok sweetie, Mommy will keep you safe," she whispered, stroking her belly. "We'll make sure he doesn't hurt anyone else."


"Cordelia Chase?" Looking up, she was met by two police officers.


"Yes?"


"I'm Lorne." Lorne smiled and helped Cordelia to her feet. "Sugar you are positively glowing," he beamed, making Cordelia blush.


"I can tell you right now I don't feel it," she sighed, watching as the second police officer leant down and picked up her bag, effortlessly.


Seeing the look that came across Cordelia's face, Lorne wrapped one arm around her waist. "C'mon sugar, lets get this sorted out properly."


...................................................................................................


"That was Lorne on the phone," at Spikes bemused look Joyce continued. "The police officer who found Buffy yesterday."


"Oh."


"Apparently something's come up in the investigation and Buffy's needed at the police station."


.............................................................................................................


"Your name?"


"Cordelia Chase," she sighed out, looking around her surroundings. Lorne and the second police officer had brought her back to Sunnydale police station, where they proceeded to take her to an interrogation room. She'd been alone for 5 m inutes when a man in a suit, carrying a notepad and pen had entered and sat across from her, immediately asking her questions.


"And how far along are you, miss Chase?" The man gestured towards her belly.


"Exactly 7 months and 3 days."


"And the father?" At Cordelia's silent response the interviewer continued. "Who is he?"


"Ri-" she was unable to meet the interviewers eyes, instead, rest a hand on her pregnant belly. "Riley," she barely whispered.


"And the mark on your neck?" The interviewer wrote Cordelia's responses on a notepad in front of him. "Did Riley do that to you?"


Cordelia's hand hesitantly reached to the mark on her neck. It was an inch long and was now an ever fading pink line, another permanent reminder of what Riley had done to her. "Yes," she whispered again.


"Can you tell me when you met Riley?" Again the interviewer wrote down her response.


"It was about a 7 and a bit months ago," Cordelia looked down and rubbed her swollen belly. "In LA, at a club... He seemed nice," she met the interviewers eyes, with her tear filled ones. "You know? We danced for a little while and he was really nice. Bought me a drink and we talked and danced." She looked down again. "I'd had a few drinks by then, I'd been knocked back for another modelling job and I was feeling down. My friends had left already," she let out a tear strained laugh. "I-I didn't t-think... It wasn't supposed20t-" A few tears slipped down her cheeks. "He...he seemed really nice, 'cause when I couldn't walk anymore, he offered to drive me home." The tears were falling freely now and Cordelia reached up with a shaky hand to wipe them off her cheeks.


Their was a knock on the door and Lorne walked in, a glass of water in his hand. The interviewer continued to ask questions.


"Did you go to the police in LA." Cordy shook her head 'no' and then after a few short seconds she nodded 'yes'.


"I didn't at first. I-It happens to girls all the time," Lorne exited the room, shutting the door behind him. "I waited a few days. Things were....things were still to raw. I c-couldn't," Cordy took a sip of water and continued. "They did an examination on me, took some swabs, scraped under my nails. They took some photo's of t-the," her hand touched her neck. "I gave them his name a-and then went home. A few days later I got a call, telling me that if I ever saw him again I was to tell them. T-they told me he was wanted," she took another sip from the glass. "I wasn't the first person he hurt. A few weeks later I started to feel sick, thought it was a cold, but when I missed my...."


"Are you positive Riley Finn is the father?" Cordy slowly nodded 'yes'. "You weren't sexually active with anyone previous to your encounter with Mr. Finn?"


"No."


"Have you heard of anyone by the name of Buffy Summers, Miss Chase?"


"Yes. Riley he-" her hand again unconsciously reached for the mark on her neck. "He kept saying the name w-while he..."


.................................................................................................................


Buffy was accompanied by her mother to the police station, deciding it was no place for Tara to be, Spike stayed behind with Dawn to keep her occupied.


"Mum what's this about?"


"I don't know, sweetie. They just said you were needed at the police station." Joyce put the car in park and turned the engine off. Opening the door she walked with Buffy into the police station.


"Hey sugar!" Lorne beamed. "How are you feeling?"


Buffy shrugged "Been better," she held up her bandaged arm. "So why am I here?"


"Ah...that." Lorne gestured for Buffy and Joyce to follow him. They walked down a corridor and into a room where they could see a woman sitting at a table, she was facing them. A man in a suit sat facing her.


"Who is she?" Joyce asked, watching the woman’s tear streak face as she cried.


"One of Riley's latest attacks." Lorne heard Buffy's deep intake of air and turned to look at her.


"Is she?" Buffy eyes welled up with tears, seeing the woman's hand stroke her stomach.


"Pregnant? Yes."


"Can she see us?" A lone tear slipped down Buffy's cheek.


"No. But I'd really like you to meet her, i f you're ok with it?" Slowly, Buffy nodded her head in agreement.


"I never...I never wanted anyone else to get hurt," her voice was strained, her hand reaching to her hip where the scars Riley had left on her were. A permanent reminder of what he'd done. And now this woman had scars of her own. Something that should never have happened.


Chapter End Notes:
:):)