Author's Chapter Notes:
I wasn't going to update this story today, I really wasn't. But then I got home and saw how many nice reviews I had gotten for the last chap. So I decided to post the next chapter today anyway, as a thank you to all of you who have reviewed. :)
“All right, sweetie. Mommy has to work late tonight, so Willow’s picking you up this afternoon. That okay?” The girl nodded, and Buffy placed a kiss on her forehead. “That’s my girl!” They had just arrived to Hannah’s classroom at the Sunnydale Elementary School, and Buffy and Spike were about to leave.

Hannah looked at Spike, a hopeful expression on her face. “Are you coming over to our house again tonight?”

Remembering what Buffy had told him before they’d left, about wanting to explain their relationship to Hannah, Spike shook his head. “Sorry, bit, not tonight.” Seeing how she was about to object, he hurried to add; “Might drop by tomorrow night instead. That is, if your mum won’t mind.” He glanced over at Buffy, raising his eyebrows in a suggestive manner.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Of course I won’t mind, you know that.”

“Good!” Hannah smiled brightly. “Then you can read me another bedtime story. And I wanna show you all of my stuffed animals, you didn’t get to see them the last time. And I have lots of dolls, you have to see them, too. We’re gonna have so much fun!” Her eyes lit up as an idea hit her. “We can have a tea party!”

Buffy tried hard not to giggle at the look on Spike’s face, for a moment he looked completely horrified. He looked at her for help, but she just shrugged, a wide grin on her face. Spike cleared his throat. “Um… yeah, sure. Sounds… great.” Hannah beamed at him.

“Good morning, Hannah.” A young woman with long, brown hair made her way over to them, smiling softly at the girl.

Hannah returned the smile. “Good morning, Miss Burkle.” Then she looked at her mother and Spike, waving her hand goodbye. “Bye, Mommy, see you tonight. Bye, Spike.” With that, she turned around and headed in the direction of the other kids, waiting for the class to begin.

Miss Burkle looked after the girl, then turned to Buffy. “Miss Summers, I wanted to apologize for that unfortunate incident the other day. You know, with Hannah wandering off and all. I feel really bad about what happened. I mean, I’m responsible for the children while they’re here, I should’ve seen that something was bothering her.”

“Yeah, I think you should have.” Buffy opened her mouth to say something, but Spike wasn’t finished. “How can you let a little girl just disappear like that, aren’t you supposed to be watching them? It’s your bloody job, after all.”

Blushing, Miss Burkle seemed to notice him for the first time. “I… I’m sorry, I don’t think we’ve been introduced?” She gave Buffy an uncertain look, then turned her eyes back to Spike.

Buffy suddenly found herself more than a little annoyed. She’d always liked Hannah’s teacher, but she definitely didn’t like the way the other woman was now looking at Spike. Was she checking him out?! Buffy had to suppress a possessive growl, then felt very stupid for thinking like that. She forced a smile. “This is my friend, Spike Pratt.” She turned to Spike. “And this is…”

Before she had the chance to finish, Miss Burkle reached out her hand in greeting, her eyes never leaving Spike. “I’m Winifred Burkle, but most people call me Fred.” She paused, giggling nervously. “Unless they’re in my class, then they call me Miss Burkle.“ Buffy rolled her eyes, having not missed how she’d emphasized the ‘Miss’ part.

Spike shook her hand, after a moment’s hesitation. “Right, nice to meet you. Sorry if I was a bit rude before.”

Fred giggled again. “No, it’s okay. You were right.” Then she suddenly became serious and turned back to Buffy, lowering her voice. “Miss Summers, I’m worried about Hannah. I’d like us to set an appointment when the two of us can get together and talk. Would this thursday be okay with you?”

Buffy frowned. This was the first time the teacher had indicated that something might be wrong. She nodded, eying the woman a bit warily. “I guess so. Sure.”

“Good.” Fred looked relieved. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve better get this class started.” She looked at Spike again, and her smile was back. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Mr Pratt.”

Spike waved his hand in dismiss. “Just call me…”

“Bye, Miss Burkle. – Spike, let’s go!” Buffy grabbed his arm and started towards the door, completely missing the amused look on his face.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Mind telling me what that was about, luv?” They had left the school building and were now standing outside Buffy’s car. Spike looked at her, waiting for her to answer.

She shrugged, refusing to look him in the eyes. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Right.” He gave her a curious look. “You know, if I didn’t know better, I’d say you were jealous.”

Snorting, Buffy stared at him with, what she hoped looked like disbelief. “Jealous?! Me? That’s ridiculous!” She looked down at her feet. “I just… didn’t like the way she was looking at you, that’s all.”

He did his best to not let his amusement show. “And how was that?”

“Like you were a piece of meat and she couldn’t wait to devour you, that’s how!” Buffy’s eyes widened when she realized what she’d said, and her face turned bright red. “God, I can’t believe I just said that.”

Spike couldn’t help but chuckle at the horrified expression on her face. Then he pulled her close, kissing her passionately. She seemed to be taken by surprise, but returned the kiss, almost possessively. Finally she pulled back, panting. “Okay, not that I’m complaining here, but what was that about?”

He gave her a smile that made her knees go weak. “Just wanted you to know that you’re the only one for me.”

Oh God! She was melting. She would turn into a puddle of goo, right here in the parking lot. Swallowing hard, Buffy tried to force her mouth to form words, but nothing came out, except for a low, moaning sound which she found beyond embarrassing. Finally, after what seemed like hours but couldn’t have been more than a minute, she managed to blurt out; “Really?”

He looked her deep in the eyes, and for a moment, she was convinced that she would pass out. “Really.”


TBC