For a moment, Spike just stared at her in disbelief. “You’re telling me the ponce cheated on his fiancée with you, got you both knocked up, and then just turned his back on you when he found out?”

Buffy nodded. “That about sums it up.”

“Stupid git!” Spike all but growled. “But at least he’s paying child support, or whatever they call it, right?”

Sighing, Buffy shook her head. “I don’t want anything from him, especially not his money. I can take care of Hannah myself; I don’t wanna depend on that jerk.”

“But…” Spike hesitated, then decided to let it go, at least for now. But if he was ever to run into Liam, he would gladly teach him a thing or two about taking responsibility for his actions. He kept that thought to himself, though. Buffy didn’t need to hear that, what she needed right now was his support. “Right. I’m really sorry, luv. But you and Hannah are probably better off without him. He doesn’t deserve to have such a great kid as her.” He rolled his eyes. “I’m not saying that it makes it okay, there are no excuses for doing what he did, but…”

“I know what you mean.” Buffy swallowed. “But what do you think about me? I made the ultimate no-no; sleeping with my best friend’s boyfriend. You have every right to think I’m a slut, or worse.”

“All right, first of all…” Spike paused for a second before he went on; “Don’t ever wanna hear you talk like that again, that’s just bollocks. He was the one in a relationship, not you. And he made you think that it wasn’t even serious, you said so yourself. Sure, you could’ve told her, probably should have, but no one’s perfect. You made a mistake is all.”

Buffy looked down at her hands. “I don’t understand how you can be so calm about this.”

He let out a bitter laugh. “Oh, I’m not, believe me. Right now, it takes about everything that I have not to hunt that son of a bitch down and beat him into a bloody pulp for doing that to you.”

Angrily wiping away a tear, Buffy glared at him. “But I’m responsible here as well, don’t you see? I don’t want you to think that I’m okay with stealing other people’s boyfriends, I’m really not.” She desperately tried to hold back a sob. “Your girlfriend cheated on you, I don’t want you to think for a second that I could ever do the same thing.”

Finally, the reason why she was so upset seemed to dawn on him, and he pulled her into his arms again. “I don’t, really, Buffy. That thought never even crossed my mind.”

Pulling back a little, so she could look him in the eyes to see if he really meant it, Buffy gave him a shaky smile. “Really?”

“Really.” The look he gave her was assuring, and she let out the breath she’d been holding. “I’m glad you told me this, pet. Maybe now we can both move on with our lives.”

Frowning, Buffy gave him a worried look. “Okay, when you say ‘move on’, you do mean together, right?”

He couldn’t help but chuckle. “Sorry, that came out a bit… Yeah, of course I mean together. Wouldn’t want it any other way.” Intending to show her how serious he was, he tightened his grip around her and pressed his lips against hers. Her only response as she returned the kiss was a soft moan. Slowly falling back, so they were lying down on the blanket, their kissing soon got more intense. Spike’s hand came to rest on Buffy’s thigh, and her fingers were playing softly with his hair.

“Mommy! Spike!”

Immediately pulling apart, Buffy and Spike jumped at the sound of Hannah’s voice. Siting up, Buffy gave her daughter a guilty look, knowing that for a second she’d forgotten that the girl was there. “Hi, sweetie!” She looked behind Hannah and realized that the other two girls were standing there as well.

“You were kissing! Eeww!” The girl named Alyssa made a disgusted sound, then started giggling, Mary and Hannah joining in.

“They’re in loo-ove!” Hannah was grinning, causing the others to giggle even more. Then her smile faltered for a brief second as she glanced at her mother, obviously worried that she’d gone too far.

“Yes, we were kissing.” Buffy smiled at Spike, then winked at her daughter to let her know that she wasn’t angry at her. “And there’s nothing ‘eeww’ about that!” She pouted a little, making the smile on Hannah’s face return. Looking at her watch, Buffy’s eyes widened. “I can’t believe we’ve been here for almost two hours! We’ve better head back.”

Spike nodded, but Hannah groaned. “I don’t wanna go home yet. Can’t we stay just a little longer? Please?” Alyssa and Mary joined her in her pleading.

Buffy smiled, happy that Hannah finally had found some friends, but shook her head nevertheless. “Sorry, honey, we have to go. But you can keep playing in school tomorrow, right?”

Mary and Alyssa became quiet, looking at each other. Then Mary finally spoke. “We can’t.”

Alyssa shook her head in agreement, a sad look on her face. “Kathy’s going to be there. She doesn’t like anyone to play with Hannah. Right, Mary?”

Mary nodded. “She’ll get mad.”

The disappointed look on Hannah’s face almost broke Buffy’s heart, and she had no idea what to say. But Spike spoke up; “See if I’ve gotten this straight. You two want to play with Hannah?” The girls nodded. “But you can’t do it at school, ‘cause Kathy won’t like it?” They nodded again. “And you listen to Kathy because…?”

Mary and Alyssa looked at each other again, then Mary turned back to him, a surprised expression on her face. “Because she’s… I mean, everybody…” She stopped then, looking at Alyssa for help. The other girl just shrugged.

Hannah had stepped away from the other girls and moved over to her mother. “We can go now, Mommy.” The happy girl that had been playing and laughing only minutes earlier was gone.

Buffy swallowed, nodding. “Sure, sweetie.” Hannah started towards the car, not looking back once. Buffy and Spike grabbed their jackets and the blanket and got up, hurrying to follow, leaving Mary and Alyssa to look after them.


TBC