Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you, all of you who have read and reviewed my story so far! *hugs*
Buffy glanced at her daughter, but remained silent. They were sitting outside the principal’s office, waiting for Kathy’s parents to show up. When Principal Flutie had called her at work, telling her that Hannah had gotten into a fight at school with Kathy O’Connor, Buffy hadn’t believed him at first. She had been convinced that it was a mistake; Hannah had never done something like that before. But then Spike had called her, only a minute later, and confirmed what the principal had told her. Realizing that it had to be true after all, she had dropped everything and hurried over to her daughter’s school.

Hannah had been quiet when Buffy arrived, obviously not wanting to talk about what happened, and after a quick talk with Spike, she realized that he didn’t know anymore about it than she did. So, now all they could do was wait. The last thing Buffy wanted to do was be in the same room as Liam and Cordelia, and being confronted by the principal, but on the other hand, maybe it was for the best. Maybe Principal Flutie would finally realize what was going on in his school, and then he would have to do something about it. At least she wasn’t alone; Spike was there as well, and for that she was deeply grateful.

“Looks like I’ll finally get to meet that ex of yours, eh, pet?” Spike mumbled into her ear.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I’m counting on you to act civil, no matter what happens.”

He pouted a little. “Hell of a lot to ask.” She couldn’t help but smile.

“Can’t we just go home? I already said I’m sorry.” Hannah suddenly spoke, quietly. She kept her eyes on the floor, clearly ashamed.

“Not yet, sweetie.” Buffy sighed, giving her daughter a sad smile. “We’re gonna have to wait for Kathy and her parents to arrive, and then you two are gonna have to tell Principal Flutie about what happened.

“What did happen, bit?” Spike gave the girl a questioning look, but she just shrugged in response, and he went on; “You know you’re gonna have to tell us eventually.”

Hannah looked up then, glaring at him. “I’ll tell Mommy and Principal Flutie, but I don’t wanna tell you!” She quickly looked away again, missing the hurt expression on Spike’s face.

“Hannah!” Buffy was confused. “What’s that supposed to mean?” The girl didn’t answer.

“Maybe I should just go.” Spike glanced at Buffy. Seeing that she was about to object, he hurriedly went on; “Really, Buffy, I shouldn’t be here. This is clearly a family thing, and I don’t…” He shrugged before finishing; “…s’none of my business.”

“No, Spike, I want you to stay.” Buffy gave him an assuring look, then turned to her daughter; “I don’t know what’s going on, but you…”

“But I don’t want him to stay!” Hannah jumped up from the chair, stomping her foot.

Buffy stared at her daughter, then opened her mouth to speak, but Spike beat her to it. “It’s okay, luv, I don’t mind. Just call me when you get home, yeah?”

Swallowing, Buffy nodded. “I’m sorry…” He just waved his hand in dismiss, then placed a soft kiss on her lips before he got up and left. Blinking away some tears, Buffy then glared at Hannah. “You have some explaining to do, young lady!” Then she realized that the girl was silently crying, and her face softened. “Hannah?”

“I’m sorry, Mommy.” Hannah wiped at her eyes, not wanting to look at her mother. “I did a bad thing, and I don’t want Spike to find out. He’ll get mad at me, and then he might leave.”

“What?” Buffy looked at her daughter in confusion, then pulled the girl into her arms. “Okay, Hannah, talk to me. Tell me why you think Spike would leave.”

Hannah sniffled. “I told the other kids that Spike was going to be my new Daddy.”

“Oh.” Buffy became quiet for a moment. She sighed. “Is that why you and Kathy started to fight?”

The girl nodded, a miserable look on her face. “Yes. Kathy didn’t believe me and I got mad, so I kicked her. But she shouldn’t believe me because I lied, and lying is bad.”

“I see.” Buffy sighed again, not sure of what to say.

“Please don’t tell him, Mommy!” Hannah gave her a pleading look. “I’m sorry I lied, but I just wanted…” She swallowed. “I wanted it to be true.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Spike threw away the cigarette he’d been smoking with a sigh. He didn’t understand why Hannah was suddenly mad at him, she had been happy when he’d taken her to school earlier that morning. He hoped that Buffy would understand why he had left; he knew she wasn’t comfortable with meeting Liam and his wife by herself. But Hannah clearly didn’t want him to be there, and he didn’t think he had the right to go against the girl’s wishes. Not like he was her father or anything, he thought bitterly. He was just about to get into his car when he heard a familiar voice behind him. “Spike? I can’t believe it, what are you doing here?”

He had to suppress a groan and turned around with a sigh, putting on a fake smile. This day was just getting worse by the minute… “Angel.”

The dark-haired man gave him a curious look, then glanced over his shoulder. “This is my wife – Cordelia. I don’t believe you’ve met.” The beautiful woman behind him took a step forward and reached out her hand in greeting, a bright smile on her face.

Spike shook her hand, then frowned. “Did you say ‘Cordelia’?”

Angel nodded, smiling at his wife. “Beautiful name, isn’t it? A beautiful name for a beautiful girl, right, baby?” Cordelia giggled. Then Angel became serious, giving Spike an apologetic look. “Sorry, man, but we gotta go. We got a call from the principal; there seemed to have been some kind of misunderstanding involving our daughter.”

Cordelia’s smile disappeared, and she got an annoyed expression on her face. “I’m telling you, Angel; Kathy’s not responsible, no matter what anyone says. It has to be that little…”

Spike interrupted her before she could finish. “I’m sorry. Kathy?” He let out a bitter laugh as realization hit him. “You have got to be fucking kidding me!”


TBC