Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow! Lots of reviews for last chap, thank you all so much! I think this chapter is the longest I've written so far, I just hope you'll like it! :)
Angel just stared at him, a blank look on his face. “What?”

“You said ‘her last words’,” Spike repeated, crossing his arms over his chest. “What did you mean by that? Why would you know what Drusilla’s last words were?”

Suddenly finding his shoes very interesting, Angel looked down and let out a nervous laugh. “No, I meant… the last time I saw her, that’s when she said…” His voice trailed off and he swallowed. “I think it was about a week before the… the accident.” He hesitated. “I meant the last words she said to me.”

“Really?” Spike gave him a suspicious look. “Cause that’s not what you said. You said ‘her last words’, as if…”

“Forget what I said!” Angel finally looked up, glaring at him. “I gotta go, have to, um...” He gestured towards the school building.

“Hold on.” Spike stepped in his way, stopping him from passing. “When was the last time you saw Dru?”

Suddenly looking like a deer caught in the headlights, Angel took a step back. “Why are you…? I don’t remember.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “You don’t remember?” Angel shook his head, a stubborn look on his face. “But you just said it was a week before the accident.”

Angel opened his mouth, then closed it again. Then he shrugged. “I did? Well, I guess…”

“Did you see her the day she died? Where? What were you talking about?” Spike followed Angel as he started to back away.

“I…” Angel looked around, like he was expecting the right answer to appear somewhere in the surroundings. “I don’t remember.”

“You actually expect me to believe that?” Spike snorted. “What, did you fuck her?”

“No!” Angel shook his head firmly.

“So, that much you remember?” Angel inhaled shakily, then nodded. “But you don’t remember where you were, or what you were talking about?” The dark-haired man remained silent, and Spike rolled his eyes. “Well?!”

Angel finally lost his temper. “You really wanna know what we were talking about? Fine! She told me about the baby, all right! Happy now?!”

Spike stared at him in disbelief. “She told you…? Why the bloody hell would she…?” Then he stopped, as realization hit him. “The baby…?”

“Was mine, yeah.” Angel let out a defeated sigh. “At least that’s what Dru said, although she couldn’t possibly know for sure. I mean, she was fucking the whole damn town, I don’t see why…” He paused for a moment. “Don’t look at me like that; you must know what she was like. Anyway, I guess she wanted it to be mine.”

“Right.” Spike took a deep breath. “Because she loved you?” Then he remembered something. “But she was going to have an abortion.”

Angel frowned. “She didn’t say anything about that. I figured she thought that if I’d think the kid was mine, I would leave Cordy for her.”

“Would you?” Spike realized that if he would’ve found out about this a couple of weeks ago, it would’ve destroyed him. But that was before he had met Buffy.

“No, I wouldn’t.” Angel suddenly looked very tired. “I told Dru, but she wouldn’t listen. She kept nagging and whining, said she’d tell Cordy about us if I didn’t leave her. I said if she did, I’d tell you. I thought that would scare her, but...” He then looked somewhat ashamed. “It didn’t seem like she’d care.”

“Course not.” Spike let out a bitter laugh.

Angel sighed. “Then she started begging. Went on about stars and sunshine, no idea what that was about. To tell the truth, it was starting to creep me out. So, I told her to stay the hell away from me. She didn’t take it very well.” Spike wasn’t the least bit surprised by that statement; Drusilla had never been able to handle being rejected. Angel went on; “She got almost hysterical, started yelling and hitting me. I knew that if I’d stay, I’d hit her back. So, I decided to leave. I told her to stay away from me, and got into my car.”

Spike nodded slowly. “And Dru?”

“What do you think?” Angel suddenly got angry. “She kept yelling that she loved me and tried to get into the car. I couldn’t let her…” He stopped.

Waiting for him to continue, Spike raised his eyebrows again. “Couldn’t let her… what? What did you do?”

“Nothing! I…” Angel closed his eyes for a moment. “I really gotta go.”

“Did you kill her?” Spike was surprised at how calm he was, he sounded so casual, he might as well could’ve asked about the weather. That thought almost made him laugh, seeing how absurd the situation was. Then he sobered up abruptly, noticing the guilty look on Angel’s face. “Bloody hell! You…”

“Shut up!” Angel looked around, nervously. “I didn’t do anything, not deliberately. I would never… It was an accident!”

Spike stared at him in shock. “You were the one driving the car that...”

“No!” Shaking his head in denial, Angel glanced toward his car, parked on the other end of the parking lot. Then he sighed, realizing that he wouldn’t be able to get out of the mess he’d created. “But I…” He swallowed, for the first time looking afraid.

“But what?” Spike all but snarled. “Tell me what the bloody hell happened!” He shoved Angel back, hard, up against one of the cars, then grabbed him by the collar of his jacket to keep him from moving. “Tell me!” A part of him was still aware of the fact that he and Angel were standing at the school parking lot, and if anyone would see them, they were most likely to call the police. But yet he didn’t care. Thankfully, there was no one around.

“All right, all right!” Angel glared at him, trying to push him away, but was unsuccessful. “I saw who did it.” Spike gave him a threatening look, gesturing for him to go on, and he let out a nervous laugh. “I mean, I saw the car, I have no idea who was driving.” At that statement, Spike pulled his fist back and punched Angel on the nose again.

“Ow! Fuck!” Angel growled in pain and frustration. “Dammit, Spike, why the hell…?!”

“If you’re lying…” Spike raised his fist again, and gave him a warning look.

Angel laughed bitterly. “Then you’ll what? Kill me?!” Then he rolled his eyes. “I’ll tell you what happened, if you’ll stop hitting me.” Spike remained silent, so he sighed and took a deep breath. “Look, I was just trying to get away, but she was acting all crazy.” He closed his eyes as the memories of that night came rushing back. “She jumped in front of the car, screaming at me to stop and let her in. So, I shifted the gear and started backing away. She must have realized that I wasn’t stopping, that’s when she said it; ‘I love you, my Angel.’ Then she…” He hesitated. “I don’t know why she stayed in the middle of the road; she never saw the other car coming.”

He went on, his voice trembling. “I didn’t… I just wanted to get away; I thought the driver would stop. I didn’t think she’d be seriously hurt, when I heard on the news…” Angel took another shaky breath. “If I’d known… I would’ve stopped, called 911. But I…” He gave Spike a hostile look. “I didn’t know!”

“Because you only cared about yourself!” Spike punched him again, causing the other man to gasp for air.

“Yes!” Angel glared at him again, wiping some of the blood off of his face. “That’s right. I may be a selfish bastard, but I never wished for her to die.” He rolled his eyes again. “Now what? Gonna tell the cops on me?”

Spike considered it for a moment. But what good would that do? It sure as hell wouldn’t change anything. And it wasn’t like he had any proof that Angel was partly responsible for the accident. Then an idea hit him. “No, but I’ll tell you what’s gonna happen. You’re gonna take your wife and your kid and get out of Sunnydale. I don’t care where you’re going, as long as you’ll never set foot in this town again.”

Angel stared at him in disbelief, then laughed. “You’re crazy! What would I say to Cordy?”

Spike shrugged. “Really don’t care. I’m sure you’ll think of something, though, you’ve obviously never had any problems lying to her before.”

Shaking his head fiercely, Angel started to object. “Forget it, I’m not leaving. You can’t make me, it’s not like you can prove anything.”

“Maybe not about that.” Spike suddenly got a smug look on his face. “However, I do have proof, pictures in fact, of you and Dru, at the Sunnydale Inn. You’re looking real cozy together; I bet your wife would love to see that.”

Angel stared at him, mouth open. “How…?”

“Does it matter?” Spike gave him a challenging look. “I’d be happy to show them to you, after I’ve made some copies, of course.”

For a moment, Angel was silent, obviously at loss for words. Then he cleared his throat and crossed his arms over his chest, clearly trying to keep at least some of his dignity. “I see. Well, um… I’m sure we can come up with some kind of understanding. Maybe…”

“This is not a negotiation.” Spike interrupted him, coldly. “I told you the deal, you either accept that, or your wife will hear everything.” He held his breath for a second, waiting for the other man’s reaction.

“Does Buffy know you’re in to blackmailing now?!” Angel was furious. Spike just looked at him, not the least bit impressed by his outburst. Whatever reaction Angel had hoped to get by bringing Buffy into the mix, he was disappointed. He gave up, sighing. “I’m gonna need some time.”

“You’ll get a week from today.” Spike looked Angel right in the eyes as he went on. “That is if you can get your spoiled brat for a kid to behave. I hear one word that she’s been givin’ Hannah a hard time, if she so much as looks at her funny again, deal’s off. Then your wife finds out, and don’t think for a second that I’m not serious.”

Angel glared at him. “And how the hell am I supposed to do that?! She’s a kid; I can’t control what she does when I’m not around!”

Spike just shrugged. “Oh, I’m sure you’ll find a way. Not like you have a choice.” Angel was fuming. He opened his mouth to object, than seemed to decide against it. Spike gave him an expectant look. “Well? Do we have a deal, or should I…?”

“Yes!” Angel hissed through gritted teeth. “I’ll talk to Cordy tonight. Now, get the hell out of my sight!”

Spike smirked. “My pleasure.” Then he walked over to his car, jumped in and took off, leaving Angel to stare after him in rage.


TBC