Author's Chapter Notes:
I usually don't post a chapter until I have the next one already written, but real life has been a bitch lately. I decided to post this chapter anyway, and I WILL finish this story. I'm really gonna try to write at least one chapter today or tomorrow, and then the epilogue next week. Hope you'll like this.
After parking his car and entering the school building, Spike almost expected to run into Angel again, but luckily he didn’t. Looking at his watch, he realized that he was a bit early, and decided to go wait in the library until it was time to pick up Hannah in her classroom. He couldn’t believe how quickly the day had passed, but he supposed the fact that he and Buffy had spent the entire morning in bed could have something to do with that. After everything that had happened during the last couple of years, Spike was now almost afraid to enjoy his new found happiness; it almost seemed too good to be true.

He and Buffy hadn’t known each other very long, but he already knew that he loved her, everything just felt perfectly right. And best of all; she actually returned his love, his feelings for Buffy were mutual. Learning the truth about Drusilla had made him question whether or not he would be able to love again, not to mention ever being loved in return. But, thankfully, Buffy had proved him wrong. Now, if only he could get his job back, his life would be more than perfect. Not that he was looking forward to work with Lindsey McDonald again, though, but he could really use the money, and it would be nice to be able to take Buffy and Hannah out every once in a while.

As Spike entered the library, he realized that, just like the last time he was there, the place was crowded. He made his way over to the only empty table, just about to sit down when he bumped into someone. He was about to apologize, when he recognized the boy he had helped finding a book the other day. Obviously, Justin recognized him as well, because he gave Spike a nervous smile. “You don’t happen to know where I can find Treasure Island, do you?” He glanced at Giles over by the counter before he went on; “I was going to ask Giles, but he’s even more grumpy than usual.”

Spike couldn’t help but chuckle, noticing that Giles didn’t look happy at all as he accidentally knocked over a pile of books from the counter. An irritated ‘oh dear’ could be heard, and Spike shook his head in amusement. “I’ll help you look for it.” Justin looked relieved and followed him over to the book shelves.

Picking up the books from the floor, Giles glanced up and saw the same man who had been there the other day, once again helping one of the students before grabbing a magazine and sitting down in one of the arm chairs. Five minutes later, he was able to leave the counter and made his way over to Spike. “Mr Pratt, was it?”

Spike looked up from the magazine. “Right. I was going to pick up…” He hesitated, remembering how he’d vaguely introduced himself as a parent of one of the students. Deciding to tell the truth this time, he finished; “…my girlfriend’s daughter. Was a bit early, so I decided to stop by here and wait for her class to end.”

Giles nodded in understanding. “I see. May I ask who it is?”

“Buffy Summers.” Spike frowned. “Or maybe you meant the girl. Hannah O’Connor. You know who she is?”

“Of course.” Giles smiled. “Lovely girl, although, I have to say…” He paused, obviously not sure if he should really say what was on his mind. “I have noticed that the other children seem to… um, treat the poor girl badly.”

Spike was surprised, to say the least that the librarian had noticed what the other teachers just seemed to ignore. “You’re not wrong.” Sighing, Giles nodded, and Spike went on. “Had a little talk with one of the other parents yesterday, though, have a feeling things are about to change for the better.”

“Let us hope you’re right. Children can be very cruel sometimes.” Giles got a thoughtful expression on his face, then sighed as he noticed the line of people waiting for him. “Oh dear, I better get back. One of these days, this job is bound to give me an ulcer.” Spike chuckled, and Giles started towards the counter, then stopped and turned back to Spike. “If you don’t mind my asking, what do you do for a living?”

Slightly taken aback by the personal question, Spike wasn’t sure of what to say. “Um, right now I’m between jobs, but I used to work for The Sunnydale News.”

“Really?” Giles looked impressed, then got a hopeful look on his face. “You wouldn’t be interested in working here part time, by any chance?” Seeing Spike’s shocked expression, he hurried to add; “I realize the salary wouldn’t be nearly as much as you’re used to, but…” His voice trailed off, and he sighed. “Never mind, I’m sure this kind of job is not what you’re looking for.”

“Now, hold on…” Spike eyed the other man, the surprise evident on his face. “Are you telling me you want me to work here? You don’t even know me.”

Giles gave him a serious look. “I’ve seen enough to know you wouldn’t disappoint me. And, I’m desperate. Are you interested?”

Spike only had to think about it for a second before nodding. “Hell, yeah, I’m interested!”

Letting out a sigh of relief, Giles smiled widely. “Excellent! Go to Principal Flutie’s office. He is going to need to see your references, of course, and maybe speak to your former employer, but I assume that won’t be a problem?”

“Well…” Spike hesitated. “There was this incident…” He looked away for a moment, then looked Giles straight in the eyes. “Look, I got fired. I doubt my old boss will have anything nice to say about me, all I can say is, I’ve changed a lot since then.” He swallowed, realizing how lame it sounded. “I suppose I’m not the kind of person you want, after all.”

“I see.” Giles seemed to be thinking about something. “You should probably go pick up Hannah.”

Letting out a defeated sigh, Spike nodded. “Right.” He got up from the chair, and was just about to leave when Giles spoke again.

“Do you have a number where I can reach you? I will speak to Principal Flutie myself this afternoon, then I’ll get right back to you. However, I doubt he will have anything to say about it after I’ve laid a good word for you. When can you start?”

Spike stared at him in disbelief. “Are you serious? You still want me to work here? Aren’t you even gonna ask me why I got fired?”

Shaking his head, Giles once again glanced over to the line of students and teachers by the counter. “I don’t have time for that. But I trust you to tell me the whole story eventually, yes?” Still in a state of shock, Spike just nodded. “Good. Now, you’ll have to excuse me. Oh, and Mr Pratt?” Spike gave him a questioning look. “Welcome!”



TBC