Chapter 15

Buffy hadn't recalled the Bronze being this far away before. Sunnydale wasn't exactly the biggest point on the map, but it nevertheless provided some distance issues, especially when those distance issues happened when time issues were in progress.

At times like these Buffy wished that she had some sort of superhuman speed or at least a car… or something! But now as she watched the time on her watch tick by, she was forced to face reality.

Damn, was it really 8:08? She was supposed to have been there 8 minutes ago! She just wished that Spike wasn't going to get discouraged and think she stood him up or anything like that. Buffy realized that she was being ridiculous; after all it was only a few minutes! But what if he decided that meeting her was a mistake in those few minutes? Or what if he met someone else?

The doubts and fears in her mind kept on rolling just as she rounded the corner where the Bronze stood. She quickly entered the club and scanned the crowd, panting heavily from sprinting all the way there.

Buffy finally found what she was looking for- a flash of bleached hair. She could make out Spike's form sitting in a somewhat secluded corner, and when he turned she could see his profile.

Suddenly, Buffy was nervous. This could be her first actual date with a real, live boy! How was she supposed to act? What was she supposed to SAY!? Why couldn't Willow be there, why?

Buffy observed Spike for a second and saw how he looked at the clock in the corner almost constantly. It wasn't right to keep him waiting while she sorted out her dilemmas, so Buffy decided to do the brave thing and walk towards him.

Each step took her closer to where Spike sat, until her feet rested a foot from where Spike sat.

"Um, hi."

Spike's head lashed around towards her and a brilliant smile suddenly graced his features.

"I thought I would go mad waiting here for you… Why don't you take a seat."

Buffy did so gladly. She didn't think that she would have been able to stand a moment longer on her shaky legs.

"So, Spike. Why am I here?"

Surprisingly, Spike seemed uneasy. He stumbled around his words for a bit before forming coherent sentences.

"Well, pet, I uh…"

"Call me Buffy."

Spike smiled again before continuing.

"Alright. Buffy, I have to tell you something very important. Now, don't laugh or run away or anything like that before I finish, and then you're free to do whatever."

Buffy nodded, not even attempting to speak.

"Ever since I met you, I've been acting like an ass towards you and I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have and it probably wasn't the best way to show how I… feel about you."

Buffy took a deep breath and quickly asked, "How do you feel about me, Spike?"

"I, uh…" Spike once again stammered for words. "I don't hate you, if that's what you're asking, quite far from it in fact. You see, I- I- oh bugger it."

Spike took another deep breath before speaking again-
"She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more,
one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.
And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,But tell of days in goodness spent,A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!"

After Spike finished with the poem, he looked at Buffy timidly, afraid of her reaction.

"Spike, I…" Buffy started. "That was beautiful! You didn't write that, did you?"

Spike looked surprised for a second, but answered anyway.

"Of course not, pet. It was by George Gordon and Lord Byron. Believe me, if I had recited a poem that I wrote, you would've been halfway home by the second line. My poems, as someone once said, are 'bloody awful'."

Buffy doubted that. Still, she wouldn't press him. After all, he'd just poured out his heart to her in an unexpected form which had left her almost speechless.

After a minute, Buffy still hadn't said anything to Spike and he was starting to get discouraged.

"Look pet," he said a bit dejectedly. "I understand if you don't feel the same way and I'll leave you alone from now on, I promise."

Just as he was getting up to leave, Buffy grabbed his hand. Spike looked down at their hands and then at Buffy in mild shock.

"Spike, don't go. Sit back down- I need to talk to you."

Spike wasn't sure if he would like what Buffy was going to say, but complied with her wishes.

"Spike, I can't deny that I'm attracted to you also, but we have to look at the reality of things. You obviously are at a different level in social circles, and I'm not sure if many people could accept us as a couple- or as friends even. I won't lie and say that the prospect of us being together isn't thrilling, but can we deal with the gossip?"

To Buffy's complete surprise, Spike started grinning slyly.

"Who says we have to tell anyone?"

Buffy was stunned. She hadn't thought of that possibility. But could she really keep this to herself? Someone was bound to find out sooner or later and her friends wouldn't be happy if they didn't hear it from Buffy herself, but the idea was… kind of appealing.

Still, it wouldn't work. It'd probably lead to more trouble than she was in right now and she wasn't sure if she could deal with it.

"Spike, I don't think…"

"Let me leave you with something to think about then," Spike interrupted and before she knew what was happening his lips were on hers in a gentle kiss.

Their lips caressed each other's softly and ardently, but before anyone could deepen the kiss, Spike pulled away- much to Buffy's disappointment.

The tentative kiss stopped almost as quickly as it started, but to both Buffy and Spike it seemed as if it had lasted all night.

"Good night," Spike whispered, and then he was gone.

Buffy sat for a few minutes, bewildered, before taking a deep breath and standing up.

Buffy had kissed a limited number of guys before, but it wasn't like that. The other guys hadn't induced this almost dizzy haze that set upon her almost the instant Spike's lips had touched hers. They also weren't nearly as good at it as Spike was.

Well that certainly complicates things, Buffy thought.

Figured that her best friends were mad at her when she needed them the most.

But wait… there was one person who wasn't mad at Buffy- the one person who could help her and possibly bring this whole mess to an end.

Tara.

---------------------------------

A/N: Alright, I gave in and allowed some smoochies. You'll just have to review and find out what Buffy decides during the next update!