Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally updated! ;) Cordykitten, consider yourself warned...
Tara took Buffy's hand and they slowly walked through the dark forest. The wicca remained silent, tears glistening in her eyes. She didn't have to tell the angel what had happened, she already knew. She had seen it from heaven; the destruction and the injured potentials, the sadness that surrounded them all when Giles had carried Molly in his arms.

Buffy had healed their wounds back at the house at night during their sleep, but there had been no hope for Molly, she had been lost. Tara sighed and Buffy lightly pressed her hand, when Tara suddenly stopped, turning to Buffy, a sad smile on her lips. They stood there under the starry sky, looking into each others eyes and a glimpse of hope filled Tara's heart, as Buffy healed her mind from sorrow. A light glow surrounded them until it slowly faded away.

Tara smiled at the angel, seeing love and affection in her eyes. She was like the sister she'd never had. They began walking again, Tara's mind was peaceful. Buffy had eased Tara's pain, but she couldn't do anything about her own mind. It was filled with thoughts, pictures of Spike and Drusilla dancing behind her eyelids. She shook her head, trying to think of something else, to clear her mind.

She looked up, when Tara let go of her hand, running away from her. It was the unicorn. Its mane, spun with silver, glimmered in the moonlight and Tara put her arms around its neck. The animal leaned its head on her shoulder. She climbed up on his back, riding to where the rainbow usually ended. Buffy followed them from high above, as the unicorn moved gracefully along the path between the willow trees.

When the angel arrived, Tara was sitting with her back against a tree, and the unicorn lay down next to her. As Buffy joined them, the unicorn closed its eyes, resting in the soft green grass. Tara pointed at the place next to her and Buffy sat down as well.

“Tell me about the Scythe.” Tara almost whispered. Buffy leaned against her friend's shoulder and started telling Tara the legend in a low voice.

“The Scythe was formed by The Guardians, who were an ancient group of friendly women protecting the slayers. They had hid it from the Shadow men, who later became the Watchers. It was supposed to kill the last pure demon that walked upon earth, and then it had been embedded in stone, forgotten. That had been until Caleb had found the inscription in the Gilroy monastery. His destiny had been about to be fulfilled, but his disappointment, when he had read it, made him kill all the monks, except one, who had hidden. He searched endlessly for the weapon, until The First Evil, the star Celeste, sent him to the vineyard, where it was buried in stone. He was set to protect it and to bring an end to the slayer line. Him, a fallen priest dragged into darkness by the claws of a star and led by a female vampire into despair.”

Tara looked questionly at Buffy, wondering about the female vampire. Buffy nodded to assure Tara that she was right about her suspicion.

“But she can't be alive, can she?” Tara wondered. “How is that possible?”

“I don't know, but I've seen them together, Drusilla and Caleb. I wonder who more she is controlling. Other than Spike, well she's been trying to put her thrall on him. I hope she won't make it, that he doesn't choose darkness before light.” Buffy looked at the ground, suddenly feeling so vulnerable. Tara lifted the angel's chin with her hand.

“Never stop believing in miracles.” She mused, getting a smile from Buffy. “Now, tell me how to defeat Caleb.” Tara looked into the angel's eyes.

“He fears the Scythe. You have to take it away from him, that's the only way you can kill him, use it on him.” Buffy answered, her voice calm.

“What about Spike?”

Buffy opened her hand, revealing an amulet.

“You must give it to him, it's meant for a champion, a vampire with a soul. You will know when he will need it.” She put it in Tara's hand and she closed it around the gem.

He is the only one who can save us, the angel thought, wrapping her wings around Tara. He will die, the mere thought made her want to cry, but no tears came. Instead she held Tara tightly. Above them was the starry sky and her thoughts were drawn to the star, the one which had fallen for her and Spike, for what seemed like years ago. They had made a wish.

Tara's words lingered in her mind. No, she would never stop believing in miracles. She smiled, gazing towards the sky, letting hope slowly fill her heart.




Spike got up, when everyone had fallen asleep in the house and woke Rona up, telling her to put on a dress. She didn't know what to believe, but obeyed.

“Where are we going?” She asked as they left the house together.

“Trust me. I won't hurt you. I've got the chip, remember. Just play along.” He said as they got close to the factory.



There were rose petals all over the bed, red petals, so soft to the skin. He had lit some candles, waiting for his princess. The potential was tied up by the wall. He stood with his back turned against the door, but when he felt her presence, he turned around, facing her.

“Come here, kitten!” He purred, reaching out his hand. She took it and her eyes were sparkling, as she looked him deep in the eyes. He softly kissed her hand.

“My sweet William.”

She smiled and he saw what he once had fallen in love with, and he couldn't help thinking about what she could have been like, if her mind hadn't been blurred. He had loved her with all of his heart, but she had been lost, within reach for him. She had been walking on the path of betrayal, a way far too dangerous for her. A pang of jealousy hit him in the chest; he wouldn't let anyone else have her, not again. Not now, not ever. She belonged to him, like she always had been supposed to do. He smiled in a seductive way and she played along, like a sweet little kitten, like the one she had been supposed to really be, he thought.

He led her to the bed and she lay down by his side with an amused expression on her face, watching the potential, trying to break free. He could see that Drusilla enjoyed the fear in the young girl's eyes, but she wasn't able to hide her pout, that was forming. He let his finger trace the lines of her mouth and she caught him staring at her lips.

“So, why isn't she dead yet?” She asked in a smooth tone.

“I wanted to make it special for you.” He purred, looking at her in a promising way.

“Is that so?” she mused, running her nails down his arm.

“Yeah, but first I wanna show you the stars. Close your eyes.” He smiled as she did as he told her to, and his lips was getting closer to hers as he spoke, until he whispered in her ear, then softly kissed her cheek. She let out a sob.

“Can you see them now, my love? Can you see how they twinkle?” He whispered, knowing she could see them through the ceiling. She was lying on her back.

“Oh, they're so beautiful. They take my breath away, they make me dizzy. Please hold me, never leave me again.” She clinged to his body and he softly trailed kisses along her neck, up to her jaw line and then capturing her lips.

She was under his spell, his lips never leaving hers, as he put the stake through her heart, leaving a swirl of dust in the air.

He left with tears in his eyes, not looking back, bringing Rona with him back to the house.




When Spike returned from the factory, he found Buffy sleeping in the bed in the room, the one that had used to be hers. He softly touched her hair and she opened her eyes. He sat by her side and looked down on his hands. She could see that something was wrong.

“She's dead now.” He whispered.

“Who? What are you talking about?” She feared the answer, but deep inside she knew who he was talking about.

“I killed her. Drusilla, she's dead now.”

She held him in her arms until he fell asleep. She couldn't sleep any more; she just stared at the white ceiling. Her wings still wet from his tears and her mind confused.




The moment Drusilla had died, Giles had snapped out of her thrall and he realised what he had done. He had led them to death. How could he? How could he ever explain that to them? He had to leave, they couldn't know. If they knew, they would never trust him again. A watcher in the claws of a vampire? He truly felt ashamed. He went to London to seek out the remains of what had used to be the Watchers’ Council, leaving a note to Willow, saying that he had to find out more about the coming apocalypse.




Caleb was waiting for Drusilla and when she never showed up, he felt lonely. He feared the worst; he had noticed that Spike had disappeared into the shadows where Drusilla had been earlier. What if she was with him? She was no better than the rest of them, they were all the same. Sinners from the sacred garden, causing him to loose power, trying to navigate him with temptation he no longer could resist.

He went to the factory. The candles were still burning, the bed covered with the rose petals. He became furious. How could she? After all he had done for her? He went closer and tears started forming in his eyes as he saw the dust covering the petals. She was gone. He let out a bitter laugh.

“The only one I ever loved is gone; I'll never love another woman.” He wiped away a tear, staring at the bed, his mind all coloured black.

“I bet you will.” He turned around at the sound of a playful female voice.

“And who the hell are you?”