Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for taking so long to update, I'm not abandoning this story, I will finish it, sooner or later ... / Ariadne
The oracles were pleased. The trial had gone well, the lion had been very understanding and he had made a wise decision, a decision they all believed in. Celeste had no powers, she couldn't do any harm, which made them feel relieved, and they had nothing to fear. Although there was this army of hers, which would cause them trouble, sooner or later. She had told them, that it was too late... But the lion doubted that, he claimed to know a way and no one spoke against him. He was certain that this army would come from the hell mouth, since Celeste had showed him. When he had touched the angel with his paw, he had had a vision, which had showed him the hell mouth and the ubervamps waiting for them. He was not worried though, he knew that Tara had the Scythe and that she would use it wisely.

Cordelia had returned to Angel and Buffy was happy for them, happy that they had found each other, found a love that would last for life. Deep inside, she envied them. Life was so unfair. She had sacrificed herself, given up the ones she loved, to close Glory's portal. Now, she was torn between two dimensions, heaven and earth. She knew she belonged with the oracles; still she longed to be with Spike. She did spend some time with him, but it just wasn't enough. Living in the shadows, belonging in the darkness on earth with him, hiding from the sun, hiding from those, who weren't supposed to see her. It wasn't safe for her to be seen, so she spent most of her nights in his arms, where darkness hid her. In his arms, she felt complete. Two lost souls, one searching for redemption, the other for love, to be loved, to love in return. Oh, how she wished things could have been different. She had his love, but their relation was so limited. She wanted all of him, but how could they ever be together? That everlasting love she had dreamt about as a child seemed far away. She didn't fit in his world and he couldn't live in hers, how sad wasn't that?

Heaven was the opposite of the darkness, light and so very white. The only thing in between was the place Tara had brought her to, the magical dimension. There they could be together, but both of them were needed in their own dimensions. Spike took great care of Dawn and did everything he could to help Tara. The situation in the house was still chaotic, with all the potentials living there, along with most of her friends and Wesley and Illyria.

Through her bowl of water, Buffy had watched how Giles had come back to Sunnydale. It had been a very shameful man, but Willow had taken him to her heart. She, if anyone, knew that he deserved a second chance, like she had deserved one. After all, he had brought her back to the light, and away from the black magic. Not all of them had suspected that his hurried takeoff had something to do with Drusilla's death, but Willow had seen the signs, Buffy knew that. She couldn't avoid to see them, the dark magic calling out to her, still she could resist them, not giving in. Now it was over and Willow's heart was pure white, so was her magic. Slowly, she had found her way back, becoming the wicca she once had been. The only difference was her skill; she was more powerful, since she gained her power from love.

Buffy gently touched the water, smiling as she saw Spike on the surface. Lying down in her bed, she brought the bowl with her, putting it so she could watch him, before she let sleep claim her.


Meanwhile in another dimension, Willow and Tara walked along the rainbow, the sun warming their skin, while yellow butterflies swirled around Tara. They stopped, standing hand in hand, and looked down at the glittering sea below them, feeling the wind gently caress their skin, making their dresses billow around their legs. Tara wore a light green dress and the tiara, which Buffy had given her. Willow had a white dress, ornated with small stars, made of silver. In her hand was a single Vendela rose, its ivory petals matching her dress.

The scent of jasmine filled the air and Tara sighed happily.

Willow looked at Tara with tender eyes and Tara smiled shyly, blushing, and when Willow touched her cheek, she closed her eyes and spoke from her heart.

“I don't know what to do without you. You're my everything. I know I haven't exactly been there for you and I admit I doubted our love would be strong enough. I had feelings for someone else, but maybe I only was afraid you would leave me.” Tara whispered, opening her eyes to gaze into Willow's eyes, being fascinated by the glitter in them, of unshed tears.

“I feared the same thing. To be honest, I even kissed Oz.” Willow blushed, trying to forget that kiss, like it never had happened, still it had. At The Magic Box of all places...

“Yeah, I know you were a couple a long time ago. Do you want him back?” Tara wondered, waiting for her girlfriend's answer, fearing the worst possible.

“I don't want him back. I only want you. I love you, Tara.” Willow said dreamily, putting a strand of light brown hair behind Tara's ear, smiling as she did so.

“Love you too, sweetie.” Tara mused. Their lips touched and for now, all was forgiven.


Far away in the same dimension, the unicorn galloped through the green forest, searching for Willow and Tara. He could feel their presence and their scent and finally he found them under an old oak tree, leaning into each other's touch. Willow turned her face towards the warming sun and enjoyed every minute, a happy smile dwelling on her lips.

The unicorn lay down in the soft grass in front of them, whispering his secrets into Tara's mind.

“There is a way to change the Scythe, to make all potentials into slayers. That's the way you can defeat her army.” His words lingered in her mind. “You and Willow can do the spell together, she's strong enough, so are you. Don't be afraid, I will lead you.”

“But how, I don't understand.” Tara looked at the unicorn, reaching out her hand towards the animal. “How am I supposed to change it?”

She touched his mane, its softness never stopped amazing her, and she smiled mysteriously at him, like they were sharing a secret.

“I'm just a wicca, and I've learnt all my magic from you. Why don't you do the spell yourself?” She wondered, but he shook his head, sadly.

“I can't. She would never forgive me...” He mumbled, his voice getting weaker by every word. He stared at the grass, without really seeing it and Tara hated to see him like that, all broken, all lost.

“Who is she?” Deep inside, Tara already knew the answer.

Once he had told her how he had became a unicorn that had been a long time ago, long before he had learnt to use magic. They, the oracles, had a destiny for him, so they had told him, saving his life, turning him into a unicorn, to keep him safe from his fallen angel. The Powers To Be had healed his wounds, while they had turned her into a star, far away from him. Still he loved her, in his own way, trying to forgive her, blaming himself for not seeing the signs in time, blaming himself for not seeing how her wings had changed colour from the brightest white to the darkest shade of black.

At first he didn't answer, but then he looked her in the eyes.

“She's my long lost queen.” Tara could read the misery in his eyes, but there was also hope. A glimpse of hope, after all she was an angel again, an angel with green luminous eyes and red hair, the one he had fallen in love with. He had seen her in his dreams at night, and long gone was the darkness, left was only love, a liminal bliss of affection. Still, he hadn't seen her, since the night he had guarded her in that cage, but now the trial was over and he hoped to reunite with her, to be with her for all eternity.



While they sat there, the amulet burnt in Tara's pocket, and she brought it out in the sunlight, showing it to the unicorn. It glittered and sparkled in the light. He didn't seem to be surprised at all; he immediately recognized the item, now lying on the palm of her hand.

“The rays of the sun, whoever will carry it, must be a champion.” He nodded, his words lingering in Tara's mind. “It gains power from the bearer's soul, from a soul, which has been redeemed. You got it from Buffy, right? Because, she couldn't give it to him herself. That would break her heart.” The unicorn bowed its head to the ground. “He's her champion.” He whispered, letting the meaning of the spoken words sink in.

“What do you mean?” Tara frowned, trying to understand.

“She'll sacrifice him to the sun. She will sacrifice the one she loves, just like she sacrificed herself for all of you....” The unicorn looked up at her, with pleading eyes.

“He can never know this, promise me that, Tara. You must give him the amulet. Even if your heart tells you not to. Buffy trusts you and who knows, maybe there's a way to save him?”