Author's Chapter Notes:
do not let the title scare you....this is not B/A....OK so BIG BIG NEWS!!!! I met James Marsters and Juliet Landau today at Dragoncon in Atlanta....they were both really nice and i had my picture made with James...it was so awesome....and also i met some people dressed like Spike, Buffy, and Angel and had my picture made with them....all in all it was a great day....and now that i've told my excitment...on with the story...
Buffy and Angel

Buffy paced nervously back and forth in front of the building. When she had got in the car and drove over here it had seemed like a wonderful flawless plan. But now, standing in front of the building that he lived in, she was beginning to doubt herself. What the hell was she going to say to him? She’d kept telling herself that she would play it by ear, but that didn’t sound like a good idea anymore. What if he called the police on her and they locked her back up in a hospital because she had relapsed into craziness? Anything was possible. She didn’t know him, and had really only met him once.

She had considered just going back home, but then thought about the dreams. She needed to know what was up with them. Could they really be memories? Had they been together in this world? She didn’t remember that, but then again she didn’t remember living in Modesto either. He hadn’t acted like he’d known her but then again he could have just been acting that way around Julie so she wouldn’t know. But why would he do that? Maybe it was a secret.

She looked back up at the building. It was now or never. Buffy’s gaze drifted to the front door and she shook her head and took a step towards it. Once inside the building she felt a little better. Maybe this wouldn’t be that bad. She approached the front desk.

“Hello mam, may I help you?” the woman asked.

“Umm yes I’m looking for David Carver.”

“And who are you?”

“I’m Buffy. I’m a friend of his.”

“Shouldn’t friends know where each other reside?”

“Well I…” Buffy was cut off by the sound of a voice.

“Buffy?” She turned to see none other than her favorite high school prom queen. “Buffy Summers?” she asked again. Buffy stood in silent shock for a moment and then decided to go with the whole ‘I don’t remember you routine’.

“I’m sorry do I know you?”

“I’m Carrie. Carrie Clark. You may not remember me. We went to summer camp together.”

“Oh…right.”

“You don’t remember do you? I didn’t figure you would. It was such a long time ago.”

“I’m sorry. My memory’s been a bit fuzzy lately.”

“Mine too. I just hope it doesn’t get worse as we get older.” They shared a smile. “So how have you been?”

“In a coma. You?” Buffy regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth. Carrie looked at her strangely for a moment before replying.

“Umm….apparently better than you.” They both laughed. “So what happened?”

“It’s a long story. Basically I’ve been in and out of consciousness for six years, and now I’m having a few memory problems.”

“I’ll bet. That’s rough. Six years huh?”

“Yep. But hey, at least I feel rested.” Carrie laughed at her attempt at humor.

“I suppose that’s good.” They stood in silence for a moment. “So I heard you asking about David.”

“Yeah. You know him?”

She nodded. “You could say that. He’s my boyfriend.”

“Oh.” Boyfriend? Angel and Cordelia? Though they weren’t Angel and Cordelia now where they?

“So what did you need him for?” Buffy wasn’t sure what to say to that. She could tell her the truth; that she wanted to find out if there had been something between them in the past. Or she could make up some weird outrageous lie about needing to borrow butter. She shook her head. That would never work. But if there was no secret relationship to uncover, he would think she was insane and would tell Julie next time he saw her. Then it was possible that she would lose her new best friend. She opted for the truth.

“This is gonna sound really strange but…I was sorta hoping he could fill in some blanks for me. I think I’ve been having memories about him lately and I wanted to find out what they were about.”

Carrie got an odd look on her face then. It was almost like…concern.

“Maybe we should go upstairs and talk about this.” She motioned for Buffy to follow her. “His apartment is on the second floor.” As they made their way up the stairs Buffy couldn’t help but wonder what that look was about. And why had she not wanted to talk about it in the lobby? Her instincts were telling her this could not be good. She was beginning to think that she was right all along. That there was something that happened between them that she didn’t know about. When they reached his apartment Carrie knocked on the door and entered without waiting for a response.

“Dave it’s me. And I brought company.”

“I’ll be out in a minute,” he yelled from what Buffy assumed was the bedroom.

Buffy looked around the small apartment. He had it nicely decorated. Though the living room had only a couch, coffee table, and TV it was still rather cozy. She noticed the random toys scattered across the floor. Vince must have been over here recently.

After a moment David appeared from the bedroom.

“Hey.” He gave Carrie a quick kiss on the cheek which did not go unnoticed by Buffy who tried not to make a face at the gesture.

“Look who I found down in the lobby.”

“Buffy,” he said. She nodded.

“She said she wanted to talk to you about some memories that she’s been having lately. Memories about you.” His face then took on a similar look to the one Carrie had been wearing.

“Is that right?”

“She’s been in a coma for the past six years you know.”

“Yeah, I heard about that.” Buffy still wasn’t sure what to say to them. “So Buffy, exactly what kind of memories have you been having about me?”

“Well….” She stopped when something occurred to her. “Wait. So you know me? Or knew me…before the other night?”

“Yes.”

“The other night?” Carrie asked him.

“I dropped Vince off at Buffy’s house. She and Julie have become good friends.”

“Oh. That’s cool.” David looked back to Buffy.

“Yes I did.”

“Then why did you act like you’d never seen me in your life?”

“Well I didn’t think you’d be too happy to see me after what happened the last time we saw each other.” Buffy looked confused.

“What happened last time we saw each other?”

“You tried to kill me.”

---------------------------

Buffy sat up in bed and squinted at the sunlight coming through the windows. She looked at her clock to discover it was after ten. She stretched her arms up and then scooted out of bed. She’d slept in a little later than usual, but after the night she’d had it was understandable.

After going to David’s only to run into a familiar face, she’d found out she had been right about one thing. They had known each other before her coma. And he hadn’t said anything because he didn’t think she would want to remember him. She had been wrong about the secret being a relationship though. They had never even been more than acquaintances. He, like Carrie, had met her at summer camp when they were 12. Buffy and Carrie had been pretty good buddies and had done most everything together. Everything had been great. Until one night. Some of the girls had decided to play a prank on the boys. They had snuck out after curfew with bed sheets and matches. The plan was to make a small fire outside the cabin window and then put the bed sheets over their heads and make ghostly noises hoping to scare some of the boys. It didn’t go as planned however when two of the boys, David and a boy named Chad, had ran outside with baseball bats to smack down the cause of the noise. When David came at one of them with a bat, Buffy threw the lit match in her hand at him and his pajamas caught on fire. He’d run to the lake to put them out, but still ended up with third degree burns on both of his legs. Needless to say Buffy was severely punished and forbidden from coming to camp ever again. Luckily his family didn’t press charges.

When he’d finished telling her the story she had actually laughed. It was most certainly not what she’d been expecting. After apologizing for that and for setting him on fire she’d asked him if Julie knew. He told her that he’d never told Julie about the incident and didn’t feel like bringing it up now. Buffy nodded understanding. The three of them had talked for a little while longer about how their lives were going. Nothing really interesting had happened to either David or Carrie. Buffy noticed how close they seemed and felt herself get almost jealous. Strangely though, her jealously had nothing much to do with them, and more to do with a certain other couple she’d been spending a lot of time with lately.

What was her problem? James. He was her problem. Him and his stupid face and stupid eyes and stupid body that she couldn’t seem to get out of her mind. She opened her bedroom door and headed for the stairs. She walked down to the living room to find her mom sitting on the couch.

“Hey mom. Whatcha watching?”

“City of Angels.”

“That movie with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan?”

“No. This was a made for TV movie from back in the late 80’s. I used to watch it all the time when you were younger. Sometimes you would watch it with me.”

“And it’s on TV now?”

“Well no. I was cleaning out the garage yesterday and I found a box of old tapes. I had recorded this a while ago and forgotten I had it.”

“Oh. What’s it about?”

“It’s about this secret agent who is sent undercover in LA to uncover an alleged mafia group. While he’s there he meets this young girl and falls in love with her. He wants to stay with her once his mission is over but he can’t. The ending is rather tragic. I really don’t know why I used to like it so much,” Joyce said.

Buffy looked at the TV. There were two girls standing there talking to each other.

“So Angels gone?” the brown-headed girl asked.

“Yeah,” the blonde girl said sadly.

“We could have found a way.”

“I know. I wish I could have made him believe it.” She began to cry as she sat down on the edge of her bed. “I thought love would be strong enough…but I guess it was all a lie.”

“Don’t say that. He loved you, you know he did. But he couldn’t just stop being an agent.”

“I know. I just…I don’t know what to do. I feel like I can’t breathe.” The dark-headed girl sat down beside her and put an arm around her.

“Don’t cry. It’ll be okay Buffy.”

“The girls name is Buffy?” she asked in shock while also secretly thinking ‘and his name is Angel?’

“Yeah. I think that’s why you used to love to watch it with me. You used to say that since you had the same name as someone in a movie that meant that you would be famous one day. You said that if they ever made a live action Scooby Doo movie that you would have the leading role.”

Buffy contemplated this. The main characters in the movie that she and her mom used to watch when she was a child were named Buffy and Angel. And since she had apparently known David prior to her coma her brain must have put the two together. Maybe out of guilt for what she had done. It was all actually starting to make sense. Her dreams had been memories, but not memories from her life but instead memories from a movie that she had inserted herself into.

Well there was one mystery solved. Now if only she could figure out every other strange thing about new life.

-----------------------