Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry if you all are a bit confused...it will all be explained before the story is over...thanks to all who have reviewed...
The Other World

Buffy paced back and forth across the living room. James would be here any minute. They hadn’t really talked since the whole almost kiss incident. The few times they had seen each other he hadn’t acted any different towards her. It seemed as if he was trying to pretend the whole thing never happened. The problem was it had happened. Or almost anyway. And now she couldn’t stop thinking about it.

After her discovery of her past with David and the unlikeliness that she would ever have a future with him she’d decided to put him out of her mind completely. And those thoughts were instead replaced with thoughts of James.

Why was she having these feelings for him? It was insane. She couldn’t deny that he was good looking; she had never been able to do that. Not even when he was an evil vampire. But admitting he was hot was not the same thing as having feelings for him. Even in her fantasy world their relationship had been only about sex. Or for her anyway. She had to admit however that she had begun to develop feelings for him, but then everything went down the drain and she had woken up; never having the chance to know what would have happened between them.

‘And now,’ her mind told her, ‘she could have that chance.’ She quickly dismissed that thought when she heard a knock on the door. She opened it to find James standing there with a big smile on his face.

“Afternoon Summers.”

“James.” She motioned him inside. “No one else is here yet so I guess we can watch TV or something until they get here.”

“Sounds good to me.” They walked into the living room and sat on the couch. Not to close though. Buffy found herself a little nervous. This was the first time they had been alone since you know when. She shook her head. This was ridiculous. Nothing had even happened between them and she was acting like them being alone was so tempting. She wondered if he was thinking the same thing. ‘Probably not,’ her mind told her. ‘He has probably forgotten the whole thing even happened.’ She turned on the TV and begun flipping through the channels. Apparently nothing was on TV on Saturday afternoons.

“So…what have you been up to all morning?” he asked casually.

“Nothing much. Just cleaning and what not.”

“Fun fun.”

“Yeah…definitely.” Silence overtook them then, neither really knowing what to say to the other. Despite what Buffy thought, James was having troubling thoughts of his own. Ever since he’d almost kissed her, he thought about her all the time. He wondered what all of this meant, and why he was having feelings for someone not his girlfriend. He had seen her a few times since then, but had decided to play it cool and pretend like nothing had happened at all. When Juliet had asked him about how the painting went he had surprised himself by acting like it had went fine and gave no sign that anything had almost happened. His act like nothing happened thing had been going pretty well. When he was around other people it was easy to not think about Buffy, but now here they were…alone. He tried to concentrate on the television, but pandas just weren’t that entertaining. He noticed that she seemed a little uncomfortable. He wondered if it was because of him.

“Buffy?”

“Yeah?” she answered without looking at him.

“Is something bothering you?”

“No, why would you say that?”

“You just seem…different.” She looked over at him.

“Sorry…I just…” She really didn’t want to talk about the almost kiss, especially not when she was still trying to decide if this world was real. Then the idea hit her. Maybe she could tell James. It would be a while before the others arrived, and maybe he could even help her make sense of everything. It might be a stretch, but she was tired of figuring things out on her own.

“If I tell you something will you promise not to think I’m crazy?”

“Cross my heart and hope to die.” She smiled uncertainly still not completely sure if she should tell him this. He would probably think she was insane. Hell, she thought she was insane.

“Well you know how I was in a coma for all those years?”

“Yeah I did hear about that.” She smacked him on the arm and he laughed.

“I’m serious.”

“Okay. Sorry. Proceed.” She cleared her throat.

“Anyway…well do you remember when I first saw you?”

“Yeah. You freaked out and called me spot.”

“Spike.”

“Spot, Spike…same difference.” Buffy looked at her hands.

“Well there was a reason for that.” James noticed how nervous she looked. She was playing with her hands and not looking at him.

“Yeah?”

“Well it’s because I had seen you before.” She looked over at him with an expression that was nervously anticipating what his reaction would be.

“Yeah. I moved in a few days before…”

“No. I mean…not then. In my dreams.” He looked confused.

“In your dreams huh?” She nodded before catching the look he had on his face.

“Not like that,” she clarified before continuing. “When I was in that coma I imagined this whole world. I imagined my life for six years. Everything that happened to me. I dreamed that I graduated, went to college, everything. But the world wasn’t normal. I had moved with my mom to Sunnydale. It was this town a few hours from LA. We had to move because I had gotten kicked out of my old school. My parents were divorced so it was just the two of us.” She paused to see how he was taking it so far.

“That doesn’t sound so crazy.”

“Yeah well, you haven’t heard the half of it. When I said it wasn’t normal, I didn’t mean the school thing or the divorce. There were…there were monsters and demons and vampires. And I was a slayer. The one girl in all the world chosen to kill all of those things.” James didn’t say anything. What she was saying was strange, but he’d promised to listen without judgment. When she realized he wasn’t going to say anything, she continued.

“And Sunnydale, it was like this hellmouth where evil things liked to congregate and wreak havoc. So I had to stop them. I can’t tell you how many times I saved the world from an apocalypse. I actually died twice doing it.”

“Died?”

“Yeah, but both times my friends brought me back. You know I thought that maybe those times when I died were when I came to in those hospitals. Mom said it happened only a few times. But then I would just slip back in.”

“Well I suppose that makes sense.”

“Yeah maybe. But there are still so many things about it that don’t.”

“Well what about me? You said I was there. What did I do?” She bit her lip. What didn’t he do? Her thoughts then went to the day dream she’d had. She quickly pushed that away though.

“You…were a vampire.”

“A vampire huh? I can work with that.” She smiled. She was glad that he was taking this so well. She had been afraid that he would look at her like she had lost her mind and suggest that she go readmit herself into the hospital. “So what did I look like?”

“Well like you. Except you wore all black and had this long leather coat. Oh and you were also English.”

“English? You mean I talked like this?” he said in a fake English accent. It was close enough to make Buffy shiver however.

“Yeah. Something like that.”

“And my name was Spike?” She nodded. “What kind of name is Spike?”

“It was a nickname given to you because you liked to torture your victims with railroad spikes.”

“Well that’s….psycho.”

“Well you were a vampire. And an old one at that. You were like over a hundred years old.”

“So I guess I was a good vampire then?” She smiled.

“Well I wouldn’t say that. You never managed to kill me.”

“Well it seems you did a good job at dying without my help.” They both laughed lightly.

“Point.”


“So that’s it? All I did was not kill you?”

“Well…no. You helped me sometimes. After you got a chip in your head.”

“O…kay?”

“It was this thing the government put in your head so you couldn’t hurt humans.”

“Now this is starting to sound like a James Bond movie.”

“Yeah. Maybe that’s where I got it from.” She looked at him seriously. “You know, sometimes I wonder if there’s something wrong with me. I mean I slipped into this mysterious coma for no reason, and then I stay in it making up my life for six years. And some things make sense, like some of the people and the town, and there’s even a real movie called ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ which would explain that, but there are so many things that don’t. I remember things James. Things that happened in the world that I couldn’t have possibly known. I have the knowledge of a 21 year old living in the 21st century, but I shouldn’t. It doesn’t make any sense.” He put his arm around her and she laid her head against his shoulder.

“There’s nothing wrong with you.”

“Then why do I remember things I shouldn’t be able to? And why do my memories of Sunnydale seem so real?”

“I don’t know. Maybe…maybe you just have a very good imagination.”

“You’re not making me feel any better.” He laughed lightly.

“I’m just saying. Look,” he tilted her face to look at him, “I am sure that there is a reasonable explanation for all of this. It could be some meds they had you on, or maybe they did something else to make you remember.” She turned away and made her look at him again. “But,” he continued, “no matter what the reason is, there is nothing wrong with you.”

The way he was looking at her made her involuntarily gulp. Not to mention his face was mere inches away from hers. It was true they had been getting closer over the last couple of weeks, and had almost kissed that day he helped her paint her room, but she had to remember that he had a girlfriend. Plus she was kinda dating Nick. But for some reason none of that seemed to matter. Apparently it didn’t matter much to him either because he seemed to be inching closer. When their lips finally met every thought that this was wrong left both of their minds, and all they could think about was how right it really was.

---------------------------