Friendly Advice

Buffy paced back and forth in front of the gallery. She really needed some advice. Ever since James had confessed his feelings for her they had seen each other every day. She was really starting to fall for him and it seemed that he felt the same about her. And now a week later he had decided that he was going to tell Juliet the truth. He was going to break up with her. And whereas that may seem like a good thing in one aspect it was not in another. She knew if James left Juliet for her none of her new friends would forgive her. The question was, was she willing to sacrifice her friendships for him. In the other world the answer would have been no way in hell, but here things were different. He was not a vampire and she was not a slayer. She couldn’t decide what the right thing was so she decided to talk to the one person she was sure could help her.

The door opened and the person Buffy had been looking for walked out and started down the opposite side of the street.

“Amber,” Buffy called after the girl.

“Oh Buffy hey. What are you doing here?”

“I was hoping I could talk to you.”

“O..okay. I guess. I was just heading to lunch. If you don’t mind coming along we could talk on the way.”

“Sure.” They began walking.

“So what did you want to talk to me about?” Amber asked.

“I need some advice.”

“And you’re asking me?”

“I know that we don’t know each other that well, but I really need to talk to someone and I can’t exactly talk to my friends about this.”

“Okay well I’m not making any promises but I’ll try my best.”

“Thanks.”

“So what’s the problem?” Buffy bit her lip unsure of where to start.

“It’s about this guy I’ve been seeing.” She nodded to show that she was listening. “Well…he kinda has a girlfriend.” Amber stopped dead in her tracks.

“Oh.”

“Am I a whore? I am aren’t I? I’m a home wrecking whore,” Buffy said looking ahead with wide eyes.

“You’re not a whore. I just didn’t expect you to say that.” They started walking again.

“So what should I do?”

“Well…do you love him?” Buffy coughed.

“No. No. It’s not that serious.”

“Okay. But you like him though?”

“Yeah. And I know that I shouldn’t but I can’t help it,” she confessed. Amber nodded. She knew how that could be. She had developed feelings for someone she didn’t want to have feelings for.

“And he feels the same?”

“I think so. I mean he kissed me, and told me he wanted to be with me.”

“Is he planning on leaving his girlfriend?”

“He said he was going to tonight.”

“Well that’s good.”

“Yeah, but I just feel like I’m ruining lives here. Juliet is my friend, and friends don’t steal friends’ boyfriends.”

“Juliet is his girlfriend?” Amber asked.

“Yeah, and my friend. A friend who’s had a life almost as bad as mine. She doesn’t deserve to have her heart broken.”

“That may be true, but Buffy if he wants to be with you then he shouldn’t continue being with her. That would be wrong. Pretending you want someone is worse than telling them you don’t. Trust me.”

Buffy wondered what she meant by that and thought about Allison. In her dream world they had been together, but here it was possible they didn’t know each other. ‘Maybe I should introduce them,’ she thought.

“I guess. I’m just afraid that I’ll lose all of my friends. And honestly I don’t have that many.”

“If it makes you feel any better you’ll still have me.” Buffy smiled at the girl. She was a lot like Tara had been. It was like she could tell her anything and she wouldn’t judge her. Funny how every time she had confided in her it had more or less been about the same guy.

“Thanks Amber.”

---------------------------

“Are you sure about this?” Buffy asked him.

“Yeah. I need to do this. I have to be fair to her. I still love her.” It was dark, which she was glad of. He didn’t need to see the face she was making. Even though he had decided he wanted to be with her and not Juliet he hadn’t told her he loved her. “And after seven years the least I can do is be honest with her.” Buffy nodded. No matter what she was feeling she knew this had to be done. He had chosen her. It seemed that no matter what world she lived in he would chose her over the other girl. She wondered if he would offer to kill her. That brought a smile to her face; one that quickly faded. This would not be easy for him. And she had no doubt that she would feel much worse about hurting Juliet than she would have ever felt about Drusilla. Though Juliet hadn’t killed one of her friends.

“Do you really think I should be here?” He squeezed her hand.

“It’s gonna be okay.”

“But they’re gonna hate me.”

“Maybe. I can’t promise you they’ll be forgiving. Especially Juliet. And Julie is her best friend. If you don’t wanna do this we won’t. But you’re gonna have to let me know because I’m really falling for you here. And I’m willing to give up a lot to be with you.”

“I do want this. I’m just scared.”

“Don’t be,” he said raising his other hand to brush the hair out of her face before leaning in and giving her a quick kiss.

“Let’s do this.”

He nodded and took a deep breath before knocking on the door. He had let go of Buffy’s hand not wanting her to find out like that. They were both surprised when Julie opened the door, a sad look on her face.

“James, where have you been? I have been trying to call you all afternoon.”

“Sorry I’ve been busy. What’s going on?”

“You should come in.” She motioned them inside. “Juliet’s in her room,” Julie told him. He started up the stairs and Buffy made a move to follow him. Julie’s hand on her arm stopped her.

“He needs to do this alone.”

“Why? What happened?” Buffy asked now concerned that they knew something.

“You don’t know?” Buffy shook her head no.

“It’s about her mom.”

“What about her?”

“She died this morning.” Buffy’s stomach dropped.

“Oh God.” No no no no no. She couldn’t be dead. She felt a pang of guilt.

“I’ve been here with her all day. She won’t talk to me. All she would say was get James. I’ve been trying to call him all day. And since he didn’t get any of my calls I’m guessing that’s not why you two came by.” Buffy looked back at the girl in front of her.

“Huh?”

“Why did you come here?” Buffy searched her brain for an answer. There was no way she could tell her the real reason they had come. Not now.

“I ran into James at the store and he suggested we all go out. His phone isn’t working so we came over here to talk to Juliet. We didn’t know…” she broke off unable to say it.

“It’s okay. At least you’re both here now. Hopefully he’ll be able to get through to her. I can’t imagine how she feels.”

“I can,” Buffy said without thinking about it. Julie gave her a strange look.

“I mean not exactly of course, but I’ve lost some family members and I know it must be awful.” Julie nodded.

“Yeah. I don’t think this day could get any worse for her.” ‘I do,’ Buffy thought looking towards the stairs. She wondered what James was gong to do.

--------------------