Dinner and a Movie


Buffy sat down at the table and glanced at the two strangers. They looked familiar, although she was quite certain that she had never seen either one of them before.

“So Buffy, now that your all better, what are your plans?” Mr. Johansson asked.

“”I…I’m not sure. I haven’t really thought about it.” She stared down at her plate.

“Well can I just say that CSU is a great school. That’s where our Julie goes. She really enjoys it.”

“He’s right dear” Hank told her, “you really should be thinking about your future.” Buffy cast a look at her dad before picking up her fork and poking at her food.

Mr. Johansson took a bite of his chicken. “Mrs. Summers, this is wonderful.”

“Oh thank you. It’s really nothing though. It is so easy to make.”

“You may have to give me the recipe sometime then,” Mrs. Johansson said, “because we all know how wonderful a cook I am.” Everyone laughed, except for Buffy.

“I really wish Julie could have made it this evening. I was hoping she could introduce Buffy to some of her friends.” Joyce looked at her daughter who seemed to be tuning out everyone.

“Oh I’m sure she would be glad to do that. She has some really wonderful friends” Barbra said.

“Yes. Doesn’t that James boy live next door?” Frank asked. Buffy looked up at that.

“Oh yeah. He is a really nice young man. He helped me move Buffy’s things into the house this afternoon” Hank replied.

“That’s nice. You know it’s really sad how few kind people there are in the world these days” Barbra added. Everyone nodded. Buffy could have laughed. Spike nice? But of course this wasn’t Spike now was it? No. This was James, the wonderful, kind, soon to be college student who everyone just seemed to love.

“Buffy? Honey are you okay?” Joyce asked her spaced out daughter. Her voice contained a hint of panic. Buffy looked up at her mom and then at everyone else at the table who all seemed to be looking at her.

“Yeah. I’m just…a little tired.” Joyce didn’t look convinced.

“Are you sure that’s all? You haven’t even touched your dinner.” She looked at her plate.

“I’m just not very hungry.”

“Honey…” Hank began.

“I’m fine…really. I just…” she put her fork down and looked at her father and mother. “Can I please be excused?”

“Of course dear.” Buffy got up from the table and started to leave. Joyce rose to her feet.

“Do you want me to walk with you?”

“No. I’ll be okay. I just need some sleep. It’s been a long day.” She nodded uncertainly.

Buffy turned to the Johansson’s. “It was nice to meet you.”

“You too dear.” She turned and proceeded to walk up the stairs. When she reached her bedroom she shut the door and plopped down on the bed. It had been a long day. A long and confusing day. So many things had happened and she wasn’t quite sure what this all meant. She kicked off her shoes and closed her eyes. Within minutes, she was asleep.
___________________________

“I don’t think this is such a good idea.”

“Sure it is. Now shh. They’re going to hear you.” He grabbed her hand and pulled her behind him around the house.

“What if we get caught?” He stopped and turned to face her.

“So what if we do? What are they gonna do about it?”

“Well…ground me for one thing.” He laughed.

“That is so not funny. Then I definitely won’t be able to see you.” He leaned in and kissed her.

“That’s never gonna happen Buffy. Now come on.” He turned and ran towards his car.

“But Angel…wait.” She ran after him.
----------------------------------------

Her eyes opened as the sun began peeking in through her window. Her hands went to cover them as she sat up in bed. Her latest dream was still on her mind. She had had dreams about her and Angel before, but nothing like this. It had seemed more like a memory than a dream. But it couldn’t have been a memory. Before her coma she had never even met Angel. Had she?

The doctors had told her that all of the people that were in her “fantasy” world were people whom she had seen sometime in her life; whether it be on TV, magazines, or just on the street somewhere. Spike…James, obviously fit into that last category. Though as hard as she tried she could not remember ever seeing him, and he wasn’t exactly the kind of person one could forget. She didn’t even really recall ever having new neighbors move into the house beside hers in the time she remembered living in LA. Though all of her memories (real and fake) were mixing together and she was beginning to have a hard time telling them apart.

Buffy stood up from her bed and began moving towards the bathroom. After a good shower she would go out and check out more of the town. Maybe the mall. Shopping can do any girl good.
---------------------------------------

“Mom” Buffy called as she walked down the stairs.

“Yes dear?” came a reply from the kitchen.

“I’m going out. I’ll be back in a few hours.” Joyce appeared in the doorway.

“Where are you going?”

“Just you know…around. I thought I might check out the mall. Or the Home Depot, like you said. I don’t think I can live much longer with those unicorns. They’re already giving me nightmares.” Joyce smiled, happy to see some humor in her daughter.

“Alright well, do you need any money?” Money. Yes that would be helpful in ones task to redo ones room.

“Uhh…yeah. I guess I do don’t I?” Joyce nodded and headed over to her desk to retrieve her purse.

“Do you think fifty will be enough?” Before Buffy had a chance to answer, “No, probably not. Here, I’ll just give you my card. Just don’t go crazy alright?” she said handing the card to her.

“Thanks mom.” Buffy gave her mother a quick smile before heading towards the door. “And don’t worry, I won’t spend more than a few hundred.” She didn’t even have to turn around to know the look her mother was giving her.
----------------------------------------

“Oooo, that’s…the ugliest thing I think I have ever seen in my life.” Buffy held up the baby poop green jeans with white dusty marks on the butt. “Unless you’re going for the ‘I just shit my pants and sniff chalk look’.” She smiled to herself and put the jeans back on the rack.

One thing about bargain hunting, the clothes were never all that fabulous. But after spending close to two-hundred dollars on paint, and appropriate room accessories, she wanted to be cautious about how much she spent on clothes. Didn’t want to give dear ol’ mom a heart attack when she got her next credit card bill. She continued searching through the clearance racks for twenty minutes before finding a little black dress that would be nice for an evening out.

Her parents had informed her that they would be throwing her a welcome home party tomorrow night, and whereas she was certain she wouldn’t recognize anyone who would be there, she nonetheless wanted to look cute.

She hadn’t been crazy about the idea at first, telling them that it was not necessary, but after they talked her ears off about how they were just trying to help her get readjusted, she had agreed.

Buffy had also found a couple of shirts and a pair of pants that were on sale and couldn’t resist buying them. Not to mention the fact that she had a very limited number of clothes that she could and would still wear. Fashion had changed in the past six years. She gathered her things and made her way to the checkout.

There was only one cashier, but only two other people in line in front of her, which was good for a Saturday. She stood there shuffling her feet trying to keep herself entertained while waiting. She began looking around at the racks of clearance movies seeing if anything struck her fancy. As per usual there were a million copies of the same movies over and over. Some with titles that she didn’t recognize. Buffy noticed the lady in front of her had stepped up, and she was about to do the same when a VHS near the bottom of the rack caught her eye. She bent down to get a better look at it.

There were two people on the side, a girl and a boy. She looked at the title and then shook her head thinking she must have read it wrong. She inched a little closer and her breath caught in her throat. She hadn’t read it wrong. Right there on the white box in bright pink letters was the title:

Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.