Blind Dates and Future Plans

Buffy grumbled as she tried to fasten the back of her dress. The task was all but impossible. She stomped her foot for the 10th time, and let out a small shriek of annoyance. Julie was supposed to be picking her up in less than 15 minutes and she still had to do her hair.

She had been surprised to find Julie to be a likeable person. After they had finished up the dishes they had sat and talked for another hour or so about anything and everything. Buffy had admitted that she was worried about being able to fit back into the world. The other girl had explained that even though the world might seem like a scary place from time to time you had to face it head on. She had then gotten a strange look on her face but shook it off and changed the subject. Buffy sensed that there was something she wasn’t saying, but didn’t want to seem rude and pushy by asking. So they continued conversation until Mrs. Johansson came into the kitchen and told Julie they needed to let the Summers get some sleep. She had agreed and soon Buffy and her mom were in bed.

The next day she had gotten up early and decided to take a morning jog. Even though she didn’t have to kill demons anymore didn’t mean she shouldn’t stay in shape. After all she was single, and as great as that was, she wasn’t looking to end up an old woman with cats. She had jogged through the town and some local neighborhoods. She arrived back home around ten and found her mom had made breakfast for her. After eating she had showered and then decided to see what was on TV. She had considered watching the movie again but then decided against it because it would just mess with her head and the last thing she needed was to have her head messed with. So she’d settled for a made for TV movie on TBS. She’d fallen asleep on the couch about half way into it and had the strangest dream about fishing with Freddie Prinze Jr. Not long after she woke up her mom had asked for her help bringing some boxes in from the garage. After lunch she decided the rest of the afternoon would be spent getting her room ready for its makeover. By dinner time she had everything boxed up that she didn’t want anymore, like several of her old outfits. She’d taken a second shower and after blow-drying her hair she’d started to get dressed.

And that’s where she was now. Preparing for a night out on the town with her new found friends. The thought of these people being her friends still made her a bit uneasy. As much as she tried to convince herself that they were just normal people that she had seen sometime before falling into her coma like state that she had set as figures in her dream world, she couldn’t shake the feeling that something was still not right about all of this. But the only way she was going to find out for sure what was going on was to put on a smile and hang out with them. Which is exactly what she was going to do. If she could get her dress on.

Joyce, after hearing her daughter’s frustrated screams and stomps, knocked on her door.

“Honey are you alright in there?”

“Could use a little help actually.” Joyce entered the room to see her daughter struggling to fasten her dress. She smiled and walked over to assist her.

“Thanks.”

“Anytime.” As Joyce fastened the dress Buffy watched her in the mirror. One major thing that this world had over her make believe world was her mom. That had been one of the main reasons she had decided to choose this. “So where are you kids headed off to tonight?”

“I’m not really sure. Some club in the area. Julie didn’t mention the name or anything.”

“I am so glad you’re making friends sweetheart. And I know you don’t like it when I say that but it’s true. Because no matter how big you get, you’re still my little Buffy.” Buffy turned and hugged her mother.

“I love you mom.”

“I love you too honey.” The two stayed like that for a moment before breaking apart. Joyce left the room and Buffy went to work on her hair. By the time a car horn honked out front she was ready.

She found Julie alone in the car waiting on her.

“Hey Buffy.”

“Hey.”

“You look hott girl.” Buffy looked down at her dress.

“Thanks. I try,” she said smiling. “So where is everyone? I thought there would be lots of people coming.”

“There are. They’re meeting us there. James and Jules wanted some alone time first, if you get my drift.” Unfortunately Buffy did get her drift and it made her feel sick. How could he sleep with her? ‘Well,’ she told herself, ‘they are dating.’ Still the thought of Spike with another woman made her angry, and she hated that. ‘Though this wasn’t Spike now was it?’ she asked herself for the millionth time. Even so, it was not something that she wanted to be thinking about.

“And Chris had to finish up something at work.”

“Who’s Chris?” Buffy asked curiously.

“My boyfriend.”

“Oh.” Again her mind returned to Angel. Would it be him? She couldn’t be sure. Not until she saw him. She really really hoped that it wasn’t. That would make everything very awkward. Not to mention she didn’t think she could stand seeing him with Julie, much like she couldn’t stand seeing Juliet with James. She mentally cursed herself again for thinking that. She didn’t care. Absolutely didn’t.

“And I think he’s bringing a friend.”

“A friend huh?” Buffy’s eyebrows rose in question. “You didn’t.” Julie couldn’t help but smile.

“I did.”

“Julie!”

“Well I know you said that you were afraid that you wouldn’t be able to adjust, so I thought I would help you out.” Buffy didn’t look too happy about this. She wasn’t so sure she was ready for dating this soon. She had only been out of the hospital for a little over a week. “And if you don’t like him then you don’t have to see him again. He’s not a good friend or anything. He works with Chris.”

“What do they do?” Buffy asked.

“They work for Chris’s dad at his law firm, Wolfram and Hart.” The name sounded vaguely familiar to Buffy, but she couldn’t think of where she had heard it before.

“He’s a lawyer?”

“No. Not yet anyway. He’s going to law school. Right now he’s just helping his dad, doing whatever needs to be done.” Buffy nodded. “I know it’s not the most promising of careers, but it’s what he wants to do.”

“And people should be able to do what they want,” Buffy said, “like being a star for instance.” Julie smiled at that.

“Yeah. We’ll see how that goes. But hey, if I do get a job opportunity I’m sure that Chris could find work in LA. If we get married that is.”

“Do you think you’re going to?”

“I don’t know. I mean we love each other but…there are a lot of things that could…prevent that from happening.” Buffy wondered what those things were, but figured that if Julie wanted her to know she would tell her. Instead she just nodded.

“Well I don’t have a clue what I want to do. I don’t even have a high school diploma.”

“You’ll figure it out.”

“I hope so. Mom’s been on my case since I got back about going and getting my GED. It’s almost like she’s trying to get me back into this world as soon as possible. And I just don’t know if I’m ready for that. I mean I want to go to school and everything, but I’ve only been home a week and I’m still trying to get settled. I just don’t think she can stand seeing me not being like everyone else. I mean I’ve been that way for six years.”

“Have you talked to her about it?”

“No. I don’t know what to say. I don’t want to hurt her feelings or anything.”

“She’ll come around.”

“Yeah. I think she’s still in the mindset of raising a sixteen year old. I don’t think she’s quite realized I’m 22.”

“Well she did miss out on most of your teenage years.”

“I guess. I just wish that she would stop trying to force me to good to school, and make friends…not that you guys aren’t great, but I think I could have done just fine on my own.”

“But then you might not have met us and that would be a shame.” Buffy laughed lightly.

“Well…I don’t know. Maybe I’ll figure it out.”

“You will.”

-----------------------------------

When they got to the club Buffy was surprised to see that the name of the club was Freddie’s. The name sounded more like a name for a bar rather than a club. A part of her had expected it to be The Bronze. After all it seemed that everything else in her dream world had been things she had seen in this world.

They went in the club, which was packed, and Julie began searching for her friends. She spotted James first, though he was a bit hard to miss with that hair of his. They made there way over to where he a Juliet were seated at a table.

“Hey guys.”

“Hey Julie, Buffy,” Juliet said. Buffy found herself examining the girl to see if she looked like she had recently had relations of the overly friendly kind. She didn’t, but of course she would have fixed herself before getting here.

“So where’s Chris?”

“I don’t know. He’s supposed to be meeting us here around now.” Julie looked around the club to see if he was there anywhere. Buffy sat down at the table next to James.

“So what do you think?” he asked her.

“It’s…nice.”

“I thought so too. I remember the first time Julie dragged me here. I was totally against it. I just knew it was going to be full of creepy old men and sixteen year old hoochies.” Buffy laughed. He leaned in closer then and practically whispered in her ear, “but I was most certainly wrong.” She felt herself involuntarily shiver. She looked at him curiously, not really knowing what he meant by that. But he wouldn’t be flirting now would he? No of course not. Not with his precious girlfriend sitting right next to him. Buffy then saw Julie waving to someone, and saw as two men made their way over to the table. The first she did not recognize.

“Buffy I would like you to meet my boyfriend Chris.” He reached out and shook her hand. She was instantly relieved. So apparently Angel wasn’t her boyfriend. Instead it was this guy, whom she had never seen before in her life.

“Nice to meet you.”

“You too.”

“And this…” Julie reached behind her boyfriend and pulled the other man around him. “…is Nick.”

Buffy had to keep from letting her jaw drop. Standing before her was someone she did recognize, and the last person she had expected to see.