Newfound Feelings

James paced back and forth across his bedroom floor. It had been almost two weeks since he had met Buffy Summers, and it had been the weirdest two weeks of his life. First he was freaked out by her, and now he was getting jealous seeing her with other guys; something he had never done with anyone he was not dating. And especially when he was dating someone else. They had gone on some triple dates much like that night at the club and Buffy and Nick seemed to really like each other. That bothered him. He didn’t really know either of them that well but he was certain that Nick was not her type. ‘Then what is her type?’ his brain was asking him. “Just not him,” he would reply. It was stupid he knew, to talk to yourself that way. It was also stupid that he was thinking about them at all. He had all he needed. He had a great girl, a decent job, and was starting back to school in the fall. Everything was perfect. Everything except that he was not thinking about any of those things, but was instead thinking of his next door neighbor, who was currently helping her mother in the yard.

He stopped and looked out the window at the two women pulling weeds in the flower garden. He remembered how great it had looked when he had first moved in, but over the years the family had not been here and it had been neglected. Now it seemed they were trying to restore it to its former glory. He assumed that this had something to do with Joyce’s attempt at getting her daughter to remember her life before she was admitted. The girl apparently remembered things from her early childhood, but didn’t remember ever living in Modesto. She had it in her mind that she had been raised in LA. As it was the family had only ever been to that city a few times, not counting the time they spent there after Buffy was transferred to North Side. The doctors said she had probably installed fake memories in her mind somehow. They told Joyce that it was unlikely that she would ever be the same as she was, but the woman kept hope and she was now convinced that she was right all along; that her daughter would be okay if she just kept up and helped her.

James watched them laughing together and smiled to himself. He was glad to see them so happy. The few times he had seen Joyce in the last few years she had looked so sad and lost. He began staring at Buffy. He didn’t know what these newfound feelings for her were all about, but he sure as hell intended to find out. He turned around, headed downstairs and then outside.

----------------------

“So I know I have really been on your case lately and I don’t mean to sound like a pest but have you decided what you’re going to do yet?”

“No mom. I’m still thinking about it,” Buffy said as she continued pulling weeds out of the ground. She was becoming frustrated with the stupid things. Who knew that weeds could be so stubborn?

“Well alright, but you know what I think you should do.”

“Yes mom.” Joyce looked at her daughter and smiled despite the fact that she could tell the girl was annoyed, and not just at the weeds. It had been so long since they had been able to do anything together. When she asked her to help this morning she wasn’t even sure that Buffy would want to help. She was 22 after all, and had spent the last week or so out with her new friends. Joyce was happy about that. She had been so afraid Buffy wouldn’t be able to make any friends since she had missed so much. Still she wanted to spend some time with her too. She was happy when Buffy had agreed to help her. The garden had really been let go in the last 6 years. There weren’t even any flowers in it anymore. She planned to make a trip to the Home Depot to pick up some seeds. If she had any money left of course. Buffy had spent more than what Joyce had anticipated, but she had found it hard to be angry with the girl. She deserved to have a room that was fit for someone her age.

Joyce had also been surprised to find out how much her daughter had known. She assumed that when she came out of her coma that she would be the same fifteen year old that had went into it. Buffy wasn’t like that however. She seemed to have the intelligence of someone her age, and she knew things about the world that had happened while she was in the hospital. The only thing that Joyce could figure was that she had picked up on things that the nurses or doctors had been talking about. Strange as it was, it made her happy.

“I’m sorry to keep bothering you about this; I just want you to be able to catch up to everyone else your age.”

“I know mom, but you don’t have to worry…really. I’ll be fine,” she assured her mother. “I’m gonna figure something out, and if I decide to get my GED I’ll get Julie to help me study for the test.”

“That’s good.” They continued working in silence for a moment. “So are you planning on going out tonight?” Joyce asked after a few minutes.

“Maybe.” In truth Buffy wasn’t sure what she was doing. Nick had asked her out, and not like on one of the triple dates they had been on with the others; by themselves. She said she didn’t know if she would be able to go, but that she would let him know today. When he’d first asked it had caught her off guard. What was she supposed to say to him? No I can’t go out with you because you look just like my best friend from the made up world that I lived in for the last six years? She’d decided that wasn’t the best option. Going out with Nick would be strange to say the least. She might bring up some stupid thing that she remembered them doing together and he would think she was insane. Ever since he had asked her out though she had started thinking about the possibility of dating him. Sure it might take a little time getting used to…but why not? Xander had had a crush on her for the first couple of years he’d known her and she’d never given him a chance. Maybe now she should. He seemed nice enough, and she had always found Xander to be rather attractive. ‘Plus,’ her inner voice said, ‘if you go out with him it will get your mind off…’

“Hello ladies.” The two women looked up at the sound of a male voice.

“Why James, hello,” Joyce said. “It’s nice to see you.”

“You too Mrs. Summers.” He put his hands in his pockets. “What are you two up too?”

“Oh nothing. We’re just trying to get all of the weeds out of this garden. It just looks awful. Of course it hasn’t been touched in years.” Buffy eyed James cautiously. ‘What the hell is he doing here,’ she thought. ‘How am I supposed to not think about him if he’s here?’

He noticed that she was staring at him and focused his eyes on her. “Haves any plans tonight?”

“Why?” For a moment she thought he might ask her on a date. The thought was quickly dismissed with his next statement.

“Me and Jules were thinking about heading over to Freddie’s later.” She wasn’t quite sure what possessed her to say what she said to that.

“Actually I do have plans. Nick and I are going out.” Immediately after the words left her mouth she regretted them. Though she was a little happier when she saw the look on his face. It was almost like…disappointment. And it was. The thought of her going out with Nick alone made him nervous and he wasn’t quite sure why.

“Oh…okay. When did this happen?”

“A couple of days ago.”

“Honey you didn’t tell me you had a date.”

“Oh well uhh…I didn’t want you making a big deal about it or anything. It’s just a date.” Buffy half expected her mother to hug her, but she didn’t. Instead she went back to digging.

“Well I think it’s great.” Buffy looked back up at James, who still had a weird look on his face. “Sorry. I would but I already told Nick I would go.”

“Oh...it’s fine. But maybe you two could stop by. I mean if you want to.”

“Yeah. I’m sure he won’t mind. Plus it’ll help make it not so weird. First date and all.”

“Right.” They both nodded silently not knowing what else to say. Joyce seemed to notice the silence and awkwardness between them.

“Well that sounds nice. You know I’m glad you two are becoming such good friends.” They looked at each other, neither really sure of what was going on between them. Buffy was still having trouble dealing with the fact that he wasn’t Spike and still she had feelings for him. James was having trouble dealing with the fact that he was becoming more and more attracted to this girl whom he had only known for a few weeks. All either of them knew was that tonight was going to be an interesting night. But neither could have ever imagined just how interesting it would turn out to be.

------------------