Author's Chapter Notes:
An all human fantasy/AU fic. Hope you will enjoy it. It's my first Spuffy ever! :)
The moment she saw him, Buffy knew he was the one. Mr. Perfect. He had everything she was looking for in a man... On the surface anyway. Nice hair, a big bright smile and gentle brown eyes. And he had such a sweet name... Angel.

She had seen him on several occasions, sometimes during the day when she was shopping and on the weekend nights when she was out ‘partying’ on The Bronze. She didn’t go out that often but when she saw him there she had to be there... Just in case he showed up. She didn’t drink alcohol though, she felt satisfied with just a coke or some other soft drink. And she always dragged her best friend with her.

Buffy sighed and turned to face her friend again. She didn’t see Angel anywhere. Yet. They were at the mall having lunch and it was quite crowded at the moment. Her company seemed most interested in his apple pie.

“Riley, I don’t know if he’s gonna show up. I mean, it’s after twelve and I haven’t seen him.”

“Buffy, relax. We saw him at The Bronze last night.”

“So?”

“So, I think you should give him time to wake up and work through the worst of his hangover. I’m sure he’ll be here in the afternoon.”

“Do you really think so?”

Riley sighed and leaned back in his chair, chewing on the last piece of pie.

“Seriously? No. I think he’ll be in bed all day, feeling sorry for himself.”

“Riley!”

“What? It’s not like it’s a secret he likes to drink himself into oblivion on the weekends.”

Buffy pouted but she had heard the rumors too. She stabbed her chocolate cake with the fork and mumbled something that Riley could’t hear. She loved Riley but he could be so brutally honest sometimes and he didn’t let her get away with a lot of things.

A few years back Buffy and Riley had actually been an item. It had been serious but they drove each other nuts. After some time when it seemed like all they did was fight and argue with each other, they had put an end to it. They sat down and talked through everything and came to a mutual agreement that they should just be friends. They cared deeply for each other, even loved, but not in that special way they needed to in order to be lovers.

“Buffy, I’m sorry. I know you really like this guy but... I can’t help it. It’s just something off about him. I don’t want you to date him. He’s going to break your heart.”

“Well, luckily it’s not for you to decide. I’m going to date him even if I have to sit here for every weekend that’s left of this year.”

“Buffy, I’m just...”

“Sh! There he is!”

Buffy sat up straight in her chair and saw him come closer. As always he had his tail, Spike, with him. God, she hated that guy! He was always in the way, following Angel around like a little puppy. She sat up straight and smiled as brightly as she could as Angel passed her by without as much as a look. Her shoulders slumped and she let out a disappointed grunt.

“Buffy. He clearly doesn’t see you, which means he’s probably blind or just plain stupid. You deserve better than that. Though...” Riley leaned over the table and whispered. “I think you caught someone else’s attention.” He smiled and sat back.

Buffy turned her head just in time to see Spike turn away. She frowned and glared at a smiling Riley.

“Riley, you are full of shit!”

“I’m serious! The guy almost broke his neck to look at you!”

“Shut up!” She picked up the last of her desert and threw it on her laughing friend. Riley tried to shield his body from it but it made a perfect brown stain on his white T-shirt. Buffy giggled.

*~*~*~*~*

*One month later*

Buffy and Riley was going out to dinner. There was this new guy at Riley’s job that he wanted to introduce to her. His name was Xander and he was Buffy’s age. She suspected Riley tried to set her up on a date but if that were the case, Riley would be deeply disappointed.

Buffy put the finishing touch to her look and glanced in the mirror. She knew she wasn’t a beauty but she was OK. Tonight they were going to one of the more highclassed restaurants in Sunnydale so she wanted to look her best but she felt a little off. She was dressed in black because she wasn’t sure how to dress for the occasion. Black always worked.

“Buuuuffy! We’re going to be late! Come on now princess.” Riley called from the hallway. Buffy sighed and stepped out from the bathroom. She stopped when Riley whistled appreciatively. “Buffy, you look amazing!”

“I do?”

“Oh yeah. If we were still a couple I’d jump your bones!”

“No you wouldn’t. I’m not your type, remember?”

“Please. The fact that I’m gay doesn’t make me blind. I can see when a woman is beautiful. And you, my friend, is one hell of a woman!”

Buffy blushed. She wasn’t used to that kind of compliments. And she hadn’t said anything about Riley’s outfit. It was really nice. He was also dressed in black. They were a perfect match!

“We should get going.”

“Yes. As I’ve been saying for the last thirty minutes.”

Buffy hit him on the arm and walked passed him. He laughed but grabbed the spot where she’d hit him.
***

Xander turned out to be a great guy but she didn’t feel that spark. They hadn’t even had their food yet but she already liked him.

“So what do you do for a living, Buffy?”

“Nothing. I mean, I don’t have a job but I still get by on the money my mother left me.”

“She left money? Why, where did she go?” Xander glanced at Riley and immediately sat up straight in his chair.

Buffy looked at her friend and saw he was making the ‘cut-the-throat’ movement. “No, it’s OK, Riley. I can talk about it.” She turned back to Xander. “My mother passed away last year. She had a brain tumor but when it was discovered... well, the doctors couldn’t do anything. It was too late.”

“God, I’m so sorry!” Xander looked like he was about to panic but she smiled assuringly to prove that she was OK. Suddenly Xander stood up and waved to someone. “Saved by the bell. Or... saved by the friends showing up at the right time to save... ah the hell.”

Buffy smiled. Xander was a bit of a goof but he was funny.

“Hey, Xan. Mind if we join you?”

“No, not at all!”

The chair next to Buffy was pulled out and she looked up to see... Angel!

“Hi. I’m Angel.” Smiling, he reached out a hand towards her and she took it. She opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. Before she could regroup and think of something to say, he let go of her hand and held his hand out to Riley.

“Angel.”

“Riley. That was Buffy.” Her friend answered with a smile and Buffy just knew he was laughing at her on the inside. Stupid guy.

Angel sat down next to her and she could feel her face burning with humiliation.

“So, Angel, where do you have... ah there he is!” Xander said and smiled at someone behind them.

“Hey, Xander.”

“Hey Spike. How are you?”

“I’ll manage. You?”

“I’m OK. This is Riley and Buffy.” Xander gestured towards them. Riley reached out a hand but Spike ignored it and waved at them instead.

From there, the dinner went on with Buffy sitting back quietly, watching the men talk about something she had no clue about. She felt a little left out. At least Riley could talk to her. She ate her food and got lost in her thoughts.

Suddenly Riley nudged her in the side and she looked up at him. Then she noticed the silence around the table and glanced at the other guys. Why were they all staring at her?

“What?”

“I think we bored the lady already.” Angel chuckled. “I’m sorry...Buffy, was it?”

Buffy could only nod. Angel was actually talking to her. And he was being nice. In you face Riley Finn!

“So Buffy, are you joining us next weekend?”

“Next weekend? What’s next weekend?”

Angel looked at Xander.

“Haven’t you invited them yet?”

“Uh, no. I haven’t had the chance to.” Xander cleared his throat and looked at Riley. “Say, Riley, what are you doing next weekend?”

“I have nothing planned. Why?”

“How would you like to join us for a weekend of partying out on the sea? It’s not on the sea actually, it’s a small island my family owns. We’re going camping.”

“Camping?”

“Yeah. You know, with little tents and a bonfire and everything. It will be fun!”

“Just you guys?” Riley looked at them.

“No. I think Spike and Angel are bringing someone.”

“Really?” Riley looked at Angel. “Who are you bringing?”

“Darla. And my boy here is bringing his wacko Drusilla.”

Buffy felt like she wanted to leave the table right then and there. She knew of Darla and Drusilla. She absolutely hated those girls. They were mean to everyone who got in their way and they didn’t tolerate if someone stood their ground against them. How could her sweet Angel hang out with them?

“We still don’t know who Xander is bringing though.”

Xander squirmed in his chair and blushed and his eyes flickered to Riley and then back to the others. Oh. Oh! Buffy had to smile because Riley didn’t seem to notice it.

“I, uh, I... haven’t asked Faith yet.”

“You must be joking.” Spike said. It was the first time Buffy heard him speak at all tonight. “You’re bringing Faith? She’s a total bitch!”

“Oh, I’m sorry. And who are you bringing again?” Xander shot back. “Faith may be a bitch sometimes but she’s nothing compared to your scarecrow.”

Buffy couldn’t help it. She laughed. Everyone around the table looked at her and Xander started laughing too. Buffy really tried to stop when Spike stared at her but she couldn’t help it! The more she tried stop laughing the more she laughed. She pushed out from the table a bit and used her napkin to dry her eyes. She tried to talk but she just started laughing again.

“What’s wrong with her?” Angel asked over her head to a smiling Riley. That made her laugh even harder. Other guests looked at them and whispered something to each other.

“Wrong? Nothing’s wrong. She’s laughing.”

Xander calmed down and rubbed his eyes.

“So, are you joining us next weekend or what, Riley?”

“Sure. If not funny, it will definitely be interesting. Count us in.”

“Buffy?”

Buffy nodded just as she swallowed some water to cool down. She agreed with Riley. It could become an interesting trip. And she would have a chance to talk a little more with Angel. And she felt an urge to help Xander with Riley...

TBC