Author's Chapter Notes:
i dont own any btvs characters and the song is by kt tunstall
Chapter one:: false alarm.

Fear.

It was all Buffy Summers could feel as she stood onstage, guitar in hand and mic in front of her. She’d never sung in front of an actual audience before and her nerves were shot to hell.

“And now ladies and gentlemen, Buffy Summers. Go easy on the cup-cake will yuh? It’s her first time performing here.” Lorne, the manager/bartender for the Bronze.

He turned and wished her good luck, then left her alone onstage.

Buffy blushed furiously.

“Uh…Hi, my name is Buffy and the song I’m about to sing is called False Alarm.” She stuttered as she began strumming the first notes on her guitar.

“I’m trying to put this thing to bed,
I drugged it in it’s sleep.
There aren’t many memories
I’m comfortable to keep.

This ball keeps rolling on.
It’s heading for the streets,
Keep expecting you to send for me.
The invetation never comes.

Each time I turn around
There’s nothing there at all.
So tell my why I feel like I’m up against a wall.
But maybe it’s a false alarm
And all the answers sound the same.
Just colors bleeding into one
that doesn’t have a name.
Maybe I can’t see, maybe it’s just me.

Now the curtain’s coming up.
The audience is still,
I’m struggling to cater for
The space I’m meant to fill.
And distance doesn’t care.

I’m trying to put this thing to bed
I’ve drugged it in it’s sleep.
Remember what you said?
Are you comfortable to keep it?”

Buffy took a deep breath and waited for the silent audience to boo her off stage. But to her surprise they started clapping furiously. She couldn’t help but grin and feel proud of herself. She stood up and quickly made her way back to the table where her friends were waiting for her.

“Wow Buffy that was amazing! I didn’t know you could sing so well.” Willow Rosenburg, one of Buffy’s friends gushed, pushing her flaming red hair out of her face.

“Yeah B. You were pretty hot up there on stage.” Faith Lehane, Buffy’s best friend, and partner in crime complimented. “ Come on B, Tree-Girl. Let’s go get our boogie on. Besides I think Xander needs our help out there. I swear that boy was born without any functioning motor skills.”

“Faithy, I don’t think he’s dancing. I think he’s have a seizure.” Buffy replied sarcastically, nodding towards him. He was another one of Buffy’s friends and he was currently making a fool out of himself by doing something that resembled the chicken dance.

The girls laughed slightly before heading out to the dance floor.

“Hey guys!” Xander screamed over the loud music. “Buffy you were great up there! I’m having such a great time.”

He began dancing again, spinning, jumping, and making himself look like a complete idiot.

Willow began dancing along with him, neither one had any rhythm. Buffy and Faith just laughed, then turned and headed for the bar, grabbing a couple stools.
“So B. You were pretty good up there. How are things with your mom?”

“Ugh. The same. She thinks I’m a demon from hell and she’d kill me if she knew I was here. I don’t see why it matters. This was my first time and probably my last.
She’d take my guitar and smash it in half if she found out I had one. Then she’d probably smash me in half.”

Faith chuckled. And ordered them both a jack denials. “Like the time with the skates?” she asked referring to a time when Buffy was 14 and had a dream of being an ice skater. When she told her mother she freaked out, grabbed Buffy’s skates and through them out the window. Literally.

Buffy frowned at the memory.

“ I just don’t get it B. What’s her issue?”

“ It’s the whole shelf-life deal. My dreams have to be hers as well. I guess she just doesn’t want me to end up living on the street or something.” Buffy took one last swallow of her JD and then stood. “ I think I should be heading home. Before she calls Willow’s house asking for me. You’ll take the guitar back to your place, right?”

Faith just nodded absently as she watched Buffy turn and walk out the door without telling her friends goodbye.

********
Buffy arrived home at eleven o’clock and walked into the house to see her very angry mother standing in the kitchen with a cup of cocoa.

“SIT.”

Buffy gulped and walked slowly into the kitchen. ‘Oh man. What did I do now?’

“I called Willow’s mother. She said that she was at the Bronze… WATCHING YOU SING! Buffy how many times have I told you to give up on these stupid idiotic dreams of yours? After you graduate high school you’re going to go to collage and become a successful business woman. NOT A SINGER, OR AN ICE SCATER, OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT TO DO. I am sick and tired of you disobeying me and hanging out with that Faith girl, and getting into trouble. Buffy, Faith is a wonderful girl and I really like her parents but from what they tell me, you are corrupting her.”

Buffy couldn’t help repressing a snort. That was a big fat LIE. She loved Faith and all but if anybody was being corrupted it was her.

“ I am sick of your wild ways so I’ve decided that you are going to start work at the gallery.”

Buffy sighed. “Well at least I get money.”

“Oh yes I forgot about that. The first month you don’t get paid at all.”

“WHAT!? Why not!”

“Because I am your mother as well as your boss and we’ll just see how you do. Then I’ll decide how you get paid. Now go to bed.”

‘Grrr.’ Buffy mentally growled as she stomped her way up the stairs and then slammed her bedroom door. The first thing she did was call Faith and tell her what had happened. Then she took a shower and got in bed. She whimpered slightly. ‘ I don’t wanna work with Spike.’