Chapter Two: Working Girl

**BEEP BEEP BEEP**

‘Grr,’ Buffy mentally growled and threw the covers off of her body. ‘I shouldn’t have drank that last beer. She slowly made her way to the bathroom and took a freezing cold shower, the water managing to wake her up.

After she got out she brushed her teeth and hair, then began to apply her make up. Thick black eye-liner and glittery black eyeshadow was applied on her eyes, as well as clear lip plump.

Buffy headed back to her room and began to get dressed. After a few minutes of rifling through her closet she decided on a pair of lose fitting hole-filled jeans, black and white stockings to wear underneath, a black Nirvana t-shirt, and a pair of battered chuck taylor converse.

After she got ready she grabbed her backpack from the corner of her room, and her ipod from her dresser and stuffed it in her pocket.

“Hi mom,” Buffy said to her mother who was sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and the news paper.

“Buffy I want you at the gallery as soon as school lets out. At 3:45. No later then that.”

“Okay. Well I’m out. See you after.” And with that Buffy exited the front door.

********
Buffy arrived at school with about 5 minutes to spare. She spotted her group of friends and watched them for a minute. They were probably the weirdest looking group in the court yard.

They were the misfits, the kids that didn’t belong anywhere else so they sort of took each other in. The group included Willow Rosenburg, one of the smartest girls in school, Faith Lehane the school slut who also happened to be Liam ‘Angel’ Lehane(the most popular guy in school) sister, Alexander Harris the class clown, and last but not least Buffy herself.

Popular’s didn’t like her, she didn’t like them, she wasn’t nerd or gangster material and the punk/Goth’s didn’t like her because after two years she was still the new girl, but also because Spike Giles, a nineteen year old that graduated last year didn’t like her either.

The class bell rand and the students poured into the school. ‘Another day in hell. Thank god Christmas is almost here,’ She opened the door to her English class.

“Mrs. Summers go to the office!” A shrill voice interrupted her thoughts.
Buffy frowned, and looked at the clock. Tardy again.

********
The lunch bell had just rang and Buffy was the first person out of the classroom. She entered the cafeteria and headed towards her usual table in the back.

“Hey guy’s.” She said in a way to chipper voice as she sat down next to Xander. “eww! What are you eating, I think I just saw it move.” She stared at his lunch tray with some sort of mystery meat piled on top of it.

“Oh Buffy! I’m so sorry my mom told Joyce.” Willow said.

“It’s okay Willow. This is my last year with the uber-bitch. I’ll survive.”

“She just wants the best for you.” She replied.

“So anyways, bufster. What’s the damage?” Xander asked.

“I have to work at my mom’s gallery with Spike, AND no pay. For now anyways.” Buffy pouted.

“that sucks blondie. At least he’s hot, and good in bed.” Faith chuckled.

“Oh my god, you slut!” Buffy shrieked and scooted closer to Xander, in an attempt to get away from Faith who was sitting on her other side.

“I’m joking damn. Do you want me to go with you after school?”

“Ehhh no. My mom would have a cow. I’ll be fine. Besides I don’t know how long I plan on staying.” Faith just nodded.

“Hey Buffy how bout an encore on Friday. Your mom will be out of town so…”

********
Buffy pushed the gallery door open and mentally cringed when she heard the small bell above tinkle. It was such an annoying sound. She looked at her surroundings sadly and headed towards her mother’s office.

“I’m here. What do you want me to do.” Buffy slouched into a chair in front of the big oak desk.

“Well you could start by sitting up straight.” Buffy didn’t move. “You’ll be helping William with the inventory. Making sure everything is in it’s place, that none of the paintings are missing.”

Buffy looked slightly horrified. “You want me to work with… him… with… IT!?”

Joyce scold. “his name is WILLIAM as you very well know, and I would appreciate it if you called him that! I don’t see what the problem is anyways. He is a perfectly nice young man despite the em… piercing and that awful hair color.”

“Mom I can’t stand him. Please don’t make me work with him. Don’t make me work here at all. Your not even paying me.”

“Buffy I said we would see about the payment.” Joyce stood up and walked to the door. “Now follow me so I can show you how everything here runs. And then after you get the hang of it I‘ll leave you to yourself.”

Buffy muttered a few curse words under her breath and followed her mother.



An hour later Joyce was back in her office and Buffy was in the basement with Spike doing inventory.

“So take it your mom was real pissed off about your little performance at the Bronze last night. I can understand where she’s coming from. You were bloody horrible.” Spike mocked her whilst he scribbled things on a clipboard.

Buffy’s head shot up from her own board and stared at him, shocked. “Was I really… How do you know… I mean SHE TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT!”

Spike rolled his eyes. “No. She didn’t have to. I was there last night. And then all of a sudden your working here without pay. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out, love.”

She grimaced. “ Don’t call me that you bleached dork.”

“Oh don’t get your nickers in a twist Bunny.”

She looked up and stared at him. Why in the hell did her mother insist he was a nice guy?
Sure he was a real hottie with his bleached hair, sharp cheekbones and glacial blue eyes but did her mother not notice the scar on his eyebrow or the piercing just below it. And what about the black t-shirt, jeans, combat boots, AND leather duster that usually made up his outfit. They didn’t exactly scream Mr. Nice Guy.

“Who are you to make fun of my name PIKE.”

“The name’s Spike, Betty. And you’d do best to remember that.”

“Oh like that’s any better. You’ve named yourself after an inanimate object.”

Spike chuckled. “Trust me Bunny. It’s not inanimate.”

“THE NAME’S BUFFY YOU PERVERT!” She yelled and stormed up the stares into her mothers office. “I’m going home now.” Then she turned and walked out the door.

Muttering the whole walk home about stupid bleached blondes and how she’d like to cut of they’re “inanimate” objects.