Chapter 3: Wait… You have a band?

Friday had finally come and her mother just called for a cab to take her to the airport. And Buffy couldn’t wait. Joyce was going to New York for a week to buy some merchandise for the gallery and Buffy would have the house all to herself. But still, she wouldn’t put it past her mother to come home a day or 2 early just to catch Buffy in the act of doing something bad.

“Now the number for the hotel is on the fridge along with my room number in case you can’t reach me on the cell. Now Buffy you know the rules. No parties, no boys. The only people allowed over here are Willow and Faith. Oh and I asked Spike to check up on you and make sure you went to the gallery after school on Monday and Wednesday. Goodbye dear. I love you.”

She kissed Buffy on the cheek and then hurried outside to ask the cab driver to help with the bags.

About 30 minutes later when Buffy was sure her mom was aboard a plane she called Willow, Xander, and Faith in a 3-way conversation and they chatted about the Bronze and how Buffy would be performing again.

After they got off the phone Buffy went upstairs and ransacked her closet looking for something to wear.

Finally she settled on a pair of red leather pants and a simple black halter top. She straightened her hair and applied black eyeliner to her eyes. Then she walked back to her closet and grabbed her guitar case out of the top shelf. It had been carefully hidden from her mother behind some old quilts and called Faith again to come pick her up.

********
Her body gyrated to the pulsing music rushing through the club and she couldn’t help but smile to herself. For one week, even if it was such a short period of time her mother was gone. No rules and no disapproving looks that annoyed her so. She could sing and dance and laugh and have an all around good time without Joyce Summers breathing down her neck about collage and work.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn’t notice someone tap her shoulder, but she did however notice when a strong hard body pressed itself against her backside and began moving with hers. She smiled to herself. ‘This guy is a good dancer.’

“Fancy meeting you here, cutie” A gruff british voice broke into her thoughts and caused her to freeze. ‘OH MY GOD I’M DANCING WITH SPIKE!’

She whirled around and glared at him. “What the hell are you doing here?”

He stepped back and stared at her like she was a complete idiot. “Well I was dancing. But that’s not the real reason I came over here. I actually wanted to talk to you.”

“Okay. You’re here. So talk.” she crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him awaiting his response.

“Look are you singing tonight?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Well afterwards would you mind stopping at my table.” he pointed towards a table with about 5 other people sitting there. Some she recognized, some she didn’t. “I want you to meet my band.”

Buffy snorted at him in disbelief. “Wait… You have a band? What do you do in it, play the triangle?”

Spikes jaw clenched tightly. She was really working on his nerves. “No. For your information I play guitar and sing. Now I gotta get back to my table before the mates come looking for me. See you after the show blondie.” He then turned and walked away.

Buffy rolled her eyes and walked towards the stage. “Whatever you say bleach-brain.”

After fighting her way through the crowd and ending up backstage she was enveloped into a tight hug by Lorne.

“Oh cup-cake your performance last week was just marvelous. I’m so happy your doing another song. Do you need anything? Glass of water? I could get you a cookie!”

Buffy chuckled. She’d known Lorne for about four years now and he always acted like Martha Stewart on crack. “ No Lorne I’m fine. I’m gonna just get my guitar and do my thing. But I’ll see you after the show?”

“Oh absolutely, Hunny Bun. And you must tell me about that gorgeous blue eyed, blonde haired man you were dancing with!” And then he hurried onstage to introduce her.

She rolled her eyes absent-mindedly. Spike was so not gorgeous, but for some reason her body seemed to tingle when she thought of how good he felt pressed against her. ‘Eww gross. I’m having tingle feelings for Spike.’

Slowly she made her way on stage, smiled at the crowd and began to strum her guitar and sing. Exactly like the first time she had preformed for these people.

********
“Wow B. Better than last time.” Faith smirked at Buffy as they met up in the middle of the dance floor and began walking towards Spike and his ‘band’.

“Gee thanks. I wonder why Spike wants me to meet his friends.”

“You maken’ me go with you for moral support?”

Buffy smiled. “Exactly.”

They finally made their way through a throng of dancing bodies and ended up right in front of Spikes table.

Faith smiled saucily. “Hello boys.”

A course of hello’s rang out from the group. Buffy just waved.

“Guys this sexy bint here is Faith. And the annoying blonde brat with her is Buffy Summers. Ladies, I’m sure you already know this is Oz, he’s a bassist. That’s Gunn, he plays drums, and that’s Anya. She doesn’t really do anything in the band she just helps us get gigs.”

“Why am I here Spike?” Buffy asked, clearly annoyed.

“Well BUNNY. Clubs don’t want to show us as much anymore and when they do we don’t get paid as much, so we figured something different, like a female singer would catch their interest. Which I why you’re here. We want you to join the band.”

Buffy’s eyes widened hysterically. “NO. NO. NO. I cannot stress how big of a no that is. My mother would KILL me if she knew I was in a band. And then she would kill all of you for letting her precious little business-girl for asking me to be in your band.”

“Oh come on Buffy.” Faith said, surprising her. She never said her full name. “ Just tell her you’re getting Spike to tutor you or something if she asks where you are. And besides you know that anything that has to do with Spike will be an automatic yes. So really you have no excuse to say no. And besides you’ll be 18 in a month so really if she does find out she cant to anything about it. You’ll be a legal adult.”

Buffy glared at her, and then smiled. “Fine. I’ll do it. And if she does find out she’ll probably fire you. So there’s a plus. And ooh yay money.”

“ You like money to?” Anya said ecstatically. “I like her. Now I’m not the only one that likes money. Invite your other friends to sit with us. The dorky one that cant dance is cute.”

“Umm… She’s a little blunt.” Spike stated.

Buffy and Faith just laughed.
********