Author's Chapter Notes:
I was totally overwhelmed by the reaction to Demon Dreams and as everybody wanted a sequel - this is it. Much love to Lou for betaing like a demon, and to Kat, just for being Kat.
REALITY BITES

CHAPTER 1


When the dying rays of the setting sun had faded from the sky, Spike roused Buffy from her deep slumber at his side. It was often the way with the newly turned that the first few days after rising were spent in utter exhaustion, the fledgling vamp waking only to feed. But it was important that she was up and about. To keep his promise to her, made to keep her quiet and compliant the night before but nonetheless a promise, they had much to do. Spike couldn’t wait to leave Sunnydale behind him but he'd sworn that she could say goodbye to her friends and family. And he always kept his promise to a lady. Despite severe misgivings, not to mention the likelihood of a staking for the pair of them, he had already realised that whatever Buffy wanted, he’d do everything in his power to deliver.

“Hey, love. Rise and shine. Time to be off, yeah? Go see your mum and then we can motor. Don't reckon I’m going to be flavour of the month round here once you flash the fangs and all.”

Buffy stretched languidly, like a cat, arching her back and reaching her arms high above her head. She wriggled her butt on the makeshift mattress and gave a fanged yawn that Spike found utterly enchanting, and kind of arousing. She was so very young; a lot younger than he'd been when he was turned. There was a strange feeling tingling in his gut, spreading, making him shift uncomfortably.

Was that...was it...worry? Concern for another creature, that wasn’t him or Dru? Well, that was just...bloody peculiar. But the longer he spent with his new companion, the more she was getting to him and the less he thought about his sire.

Buffy turned to him, throwing an arm and leg across him and snuggling into his embrace. Spike held her close. Big thoughts could wait; right now he had a pressing engagement with a fledgling, innocent of vampire ways but looking set to be a quick study. He turned over onto his side so his face was near to hers, her amber eyes staring right into his.

“Morning. Or...evening...erm, I'm not sure what I’m supposed to say.” She lisped around her unfamiliar fangs, smiling shyly at...her mate?

“Mornin' pet. Whatever floats your boat is good. You up for a lesson? Can't rightly go around in vamp face all the time. Well, you could, but you don’t want to scare off the lunchables. Not a lot of happy meals stand around chatting to you if you're all fangy and grrr.”

“What? Oh...yes. I hadn't realised. I just thought...well, you look human most of the time. And anyway I already told you, no way I’m eating anybody.”

“Yeah, well you say that now but...never mind. The face thing comes with age and experience, pet. Some vamps are better at it than others right off. Just need to get a hold of yourself and subdue the demon. So...you fancy giving it a go?”

Buffy nodded, her eyes sparkling.

“'kay, love. Now...just concentrate on soothing thoughts, calm, sated. Right! That's it...brilliant! I knew you'd get it. And once you've done it, you can do it again. It's a piece of piss!”

The slayer sat upright, touching her face and teeth with eager fingers. The smile that broke her face could have melted the icecaps it was so bright. Once again Spike felt the unnatural twinge that had bothered him earlier. She was just so happy to be normal again. He silenced the inner demon with a growl, choosing to ignore the unintended snub to the eternal gift she'd received.

“What do I look like? Am I me? Do I still look like me?”

“Gorgeous, pet. But then again, you were beautiful with the ridges too. You'll always be beautiful to me.”

Buffy gasped. His gaze was so intense she couldn’t look away from him. He was all but devouring her with his hungry eyes and she reached out a hand to cup his cheek, sighing happily when he nuzzled his face against her palm and closed his eyes. She felt a rush of imagined warmth flood her now cold body. For the first time since she'd been called as Slayer, she felt like she belonged, as if she'd found somebody who understood her completely and with whom she could just be herself. She'd come close with the Scoobies, but somehow she'd always had to repress a part of herself. The darker part. The part that gloried in the slaying and lusted for blood, lived for the hunt. She couldn't tell her friends that, it would only result in nervous stammers from Willow and sneers from Xander. She was the Chosen One. A slayer alone. How could they ever understand? Better they thought it was just a job to her, that she always staked and moved on.

But with Spike she felt liberated. He seemed to like all of her, even the bits she usually hid, sometimes from herself as well as from everybody else. Those were the bits he seemed to like most of all...

Spike turned his head slightly, parting his lips and sucking Buffy's index finger inside his mouth, catching it between his teeth and biting down lightly. Buffy's mouth opened on a gasp as his tongue wrapped the digit and he worried on it, nibbling and sucking alternately. It had a profound effect on her. Suddenly, she had an overwhelming urge to tear into his flesh, taste blood – but more than that, she wanted to feel him biting her, sinking his teeth into her neck and hurting her. She needed him to touch her.

Greedy little hands scrabbled at his shirt to yank it over his head, and Spike did nothing to hinder her efforts. He was curious to see just how much the Slayer would forget her conditioning and go with her instincts. He figured she was still an innocent in the ways of men and women, and he was surprised at how excited he was to be the one to introduce her to fleshly pleasures. He was going to make it so good for her.

Spike's shirt was off now. Buffy's eyes focused on the marble perfection of his chest, her fingers tracing the sculpted planes with a tentative touch. She was mesmerised by the sheer maleness of him. Where she was soft, he was hard and she couldn't help but move her hands lower, pausing when she reached the waistband of his jeans and darting a shy glance up at him. Again she gasped; his eyes were blazing with need and fixed on her. Buffy tugged slightly on his jeans and the button fly popped open, the sound drawing her eyes down finally. She bit down on her bottom lip, suddenly hesitant despite the fact that she'd initiated the intimacy. She was aware that this line, once crossed, was final.

She hurtled across it.

Spike rolled his eyes as her small hand encircled his throbbing cock and stayed still. He waited for her to get busy, but she was just gripping him, chewing on her lip, her eyes huge as she stared at her hand and the dark, wiry curls that brushed her fingers.

What the hell was she supposed to do? Her teen magazines hadn't covered this particular moment – kissing, yeah, even hints of dark secrets about second and third base, but graphic details? No way. Willow was her best girlfriend and she wasn't exactly hot to trot with boys, and Xander would have just imploded if she'd even hinted at anything remotely sexual. And Angel and smoochies? Not even going there...and she never had. Not more than a couple of making-out sessions, anyway.

She jumped as Spike's hand closed over hers, slowly moving her fist along his length, increasing speed with every stroke. He was finding it incredibly erotic that she didn't even know how to get him off, struggling not to buck in her hand and shoot his load. As he was about to lose the battle he ripped her fingers away from him, rolling her onto her back and crushing her lips in a bruising kiss.

Buffy pushed him off after a minute or two, her eyes uncertain. “Did I...did I do it wrong?”

“Oh, baby – hell no. All kinds of right, just don't want our first time to be a quick hand job in a dirty crypt. Let Spike take care of you, 'kay?”

Her answering smile melted his long dead heart to mush. Damn! How the hell did she do that?

There wasn’t a lot he could do about the dirty crypt, but he made sure she was laid out on his duster, her head on the makeshift pillow of his red button-down shirt. Gently, he tugged at her top until he exposed her still golden midriff. It would pale over time without sunlight bathing her silky smooth flesh, but right now it was tanned and taut and begging for his lips. He lowered his head and kissed along her abdomen, her muscles clenching where he trailed his cool lips. While she was distracted and writhing beneath him at the unaccustomed sensations awakening in her, he slid his hand beneath her top and her bra and cupped a pert breast, rolling the hardening nipple between his fingers. Buffy gulped as he pinched hard, immediately soothing the sting with a caress.

She hissed as the kisses he was laying on her stomach became nips and bites, his fingers digging painfully into the pliant flesh of her breast even as his other hand worked the fastenings of her jeans free. Roughly, he dragged down the zipper, shoving his hands down the front of her panties and pressing two fingers along her slit.

“You like that, baby? You're getting all wet for me, all wet and eager. Do you want me?”

Buffy was once more looking at him through golden eyes, her still tentative control over her demon side slipping as she succumbed to unfamiliar yearnings and emotions. Wherever he was touching her was on fire, belying the coolness of his skin. The scrape of his teeth along the bones of her hips had her arching up towards him, seeking...something, aching for something that she couldn't put into words.

“Yes...” she managed, licking her lips and fangs nervously. She did want him. Every instinct she had screamed that he belonged to her and she to him, and she wanted him to be her everything.

“That's my girl, my Buffy. Now lift up, love. Want to look at you.”

Buffy obeyed, helping him to get rid of her jeans by toeing off her boots and shifting her hips. She'd always thought she'd be shy the first time she was naked with a man, but she found that although she was feeling many things, shy was not one of them. She was excited, curious, eager to learn, desperate to touch him.

Hungry.

“Beautiful, pet. So soft and kissable. In fact...”

Spike wriggled down her body, his lips touching every inch of her flesh, making her giggle and writhe as he hit her ticklish spots. Spike laughed too, caught up in her pleasure and feeling strangely alive. The scent of her skin was intoxicating and tasted like heaven, his tongue sweeping across the pliant flesh in arcing strokes. Finally, he was at her feet, laving each toe on her left and then right foot, sucking at her instep and ignoring her attempts to wriggle away from him with her frenzied laughter echoing in his ears. He nipped her to get her attention, raising a sardonic eyebrow as she mouthed ‘sorry’ and mimed zipping her lips.

“Now where was I?” His lips whispered across the soft skin of her inner thigh, his tongue sweeping out occasionally to languorously drag across her flesh. He murmured against her skin, his words stirring her damp curls and Buffy hissed as she instinctively arched towards him, seeking some friction to quench her need for him.

Spike considered drawing things out longer...but he just couldn’t. If he wasn’t hilt deep in her tight little pussy soon, he was going to combust. He licked along her slit roughly, delighting in her guttural groan of pleasure, crawling up her body so that he rested between her open thighs, his cock nuzzling at her folds. He was dizzy with her scent, raw from the scratches that marked his arms and his back, and fighting a losing battle with the demon that wanted to mark her and make her his forever.

Hissing at the tightness with which she sheathed his cock, he pushed home, brutal and hard in his hunger for her. Buffy clawed at his back, her demon visage now to the fore as she scented blood drawn by her nails and also coating his cock and her thighs where he’d taken her virginity. She ached – with need, with the pain of the rough penetration – and entirely for him.

Pure instinct took over, Buffy bucking up at him, clawing and scratching. The pain of their joining gave way to ripples of pleasure, building rapidly to a crescendo. The duster had shifted beneath them, Buffy’s bare back now stinging from the grit and dirt on the mausoleum floor, but it merely heightened the sensory delights that Spike was showing her. With a throaty growl, her legs clamped bruisingly around his hips, Buffy sank her fangs into the flesh of his shoulder. Spike snarled, eyes flashing golden fury as his demon baulked at the fledgling taking blood without permission. His thrusts became furious and hard, the skin on Buffy’s back grazed bloody from the rough floor she was being fucked on.

Because that was what it was, a raw, primal, animal coupling between two dark creatures. The fact that there was a cornucopia of emotions swirling in the mix too just made it all the more memorable.

Roaring his completion, Spike grabbed Buffy’s hair and dragged her fangs out of his skin, ripping his shoulder and spattering her bare flesh with a spray of crimson blood. It was enough to send her hurtling over the edge to a violent orgasm that shook her bones and sinews. She’d never experienced any feeling like it, crying out and bloodying her own lip with her unfamiliar teeth as she moaned and gnawed, needing to taste the coppery liquid on her tongue.

Spike rolled off her, panting at her side as he tried to regain his composure. Extreme emotions had him reverting to human reflexes – breathing, panting, swallowing hard. Buffy had him feeling so human, he loathed himself. He had to get out of here, slaughter something and bathe in its blood, remind the human body he inhabited that the demon was in charge. Remind Buffy that she was there for his pleasure and his pain.

Buffy turned onto her side, lying on an outstretched arm and gazing at her vampire lover. He was agitated, his legs moving restlessly. She knew how he felt; despite the lack of heartbeat and circulation, she’d never felt more alive. She was hungry.

Hesitantly, Buffy reached out to run her fingers down Spike’s sculpted chest, eyes drifting shut as his muscles contracted beneath her touch. He growled, wanting her to continue to touch him but hating her for being able to affect him so much. It had never been this way with Dru. Never. No matter how much she cut him and bit him and made him moan with pleasure, he’d never been totally lost in her. Not like he was lost in Buffy, enchanted by her… What? What the fuck had she done to him?

In a panic, Spike leapt up, snatched up his clothes and began dragging them on. He snapped the belt on his jeans closed angrily, rasping the leather against his fingers, not looking at Buffy where she lay on the ground, eyes huge as she watched him.

“Put your clothes on. We need to feed.” Spike snarled the words, turning his back on his adopted childe. She was driving him crazy without even trying.

Buffy managed to revert to her human face and grubbed about for her things, dressing in silence and trying to hide the tears that tracked down her cheeks. Somehow she’d managed to seriously piss Spike off. She didn’t know what she’d done and didn’t know how to fix it. But she was going to try. She knew that he was all she had now, knowing full well that her family and friends wouldn’t be able to cope with vampire Buffy.

And besides...she couldn’t bear the thought of existing without him. That was simply not an option.

“Come on.” Spike grabbed her hand and dragged her after him out of the crypt and into the night.

* * * * *

Giles, Xander and Willow walked slowly through the cemetery, drawn there at dusk by unspoken agreement. It was habit, fostered by nights of patrolling with Buffy; it was where she would usually be. None of them voiced the thoughts running through their heads: she might still be there.

Eventually, Willow stopped worrying her bottom lip and plucked up the courage to actually say it out loud.

“Giles...what if...if...well, we’re in the cemetery at night and sometimes...well, most of the time because – hello Hellmouth!! There’s always a va...a vampire. What if...if it’s...”

Giles stopped, turned to look at the anxious faces of Buffy’s closest friends. They were expecting him to provide answers, solutions. Get things back on track. It was what he did. But not this time. The glasses came off, and he wearily rubbed his forehead, his eyes closed while he swallowed down the guilt and the sorrow of failing his slayer.

“I really don’t know, Willow.” Giles’ voice was low, defeated. “Although, I doubt she’d be here now. She’s probably long gone, away from here to ... to hunt on fresh ground. She’ll know that a new Slayer will be called; she must know that I would have to...” His words petered off, barely a whisper.

“But what if...” Giles cut Xander’s insistent questioning short.

“Xander, you know exactly what I have to do, what we have to do. Asking pointless questions is not going to change the outcome. It’s very tiresome, and it’s painful and I...I can’t discuss it. All right? We’ll take a turn around the grounds, pay our respects if you like, then we’ll just have to do the best we can. Until the Council contact me, I don’t know how long I’ll be here for and I’ll...”

Willow panicked, grabbing hold of Giles’ arm and beseeching him. “You mean...you’re going to leave us?”

Giles looked at Willow’s tear-filled eyes, Xander’s suspiciously bright too, and he knew, right then, that he wouldn’t be leaving them, no matter what the Council ordered. While they still needed him, here is where he would stay. He pulled Willow into a hug, smiling at Xander reassuringly as he spoke. “No. I won’t leave you. But I do expect some communication from the Council. The fact that Buffy is...has...that she’s gone means a new Slayer will be called. If she’s not assigned to me, I’ll be expected to return to England. I’ll have to ask for leave of absence or something, but I’ll take care of it.”

Willow hugged Giles back, Xander punching him lightly on the arm and muttering some inanity followed by a ‘G-man’ comment that merited him a reassuringly steely glare. They walked on, passing the Alpert mausoleum and heading into the darkest part of the cemetery, the regular hunting spot for vampires and demons. A shrill scream had the three of them reaching for stakes and moving quickly towards the source of the noise. They reached the site of the mayhem to find a blur of movement as two figures fought, snarling and biting. Just off to the side, sobbing loudly and shaking with fear, a young girl cowered, her neck smeared with blood. Xander rushed to her aid, dragged her to her feet and shoved her behind him as Giles and Willow looked at each other and back to the tussling duo. Were they both vampires? Were they fighting over a meal? Or, was there somebody trying to stop a slaughter?

A flash of long, blonde hair and a familiar jacket set Willow’s heart racing.

“Giles?”

The experienced Watcher swallowed hard; he’d already had the worst moment of his life, so he thought, but he had the uneasy feeling that it was about to be topped by having to stake the young girl he’d come to think of as more than a responsibility. He was frozen on the spot, stake raised, his mind racing as he tried to decide the best course of action.

It was settled a moment later when Xander let go of the damsel in distress and rushed towards the dark warriors duking it out. “Buffy! Buffy, is that you?”

The shorter fighter faltered, whipping round, her amber eyes sweeping over the three familiar figures rooted to the spot.

“Xander...?”

Her friend rushed her, grabbing her in a bear hug, his face buried in her neck and thereby bringing his warm, pulsing flesh tantalisingly near to her suddenly aching fangs. She was about to dip her head, obeying her animal instincts, when Giles thrust a crucifix in front of her face; a stake gripped in his other hand. Willow pulled Xander out of Buffy’s arms, Buffy backing away, sickened by what she’d almost done, until she found herself prevented from moving further by Spike’s solid form. A possessive growl signalled his presence to her and to her friends, the arm he threw around her middle to hold her to him – hard – leaving no doubt that whatever she may have been before, she was his now.

A drawling, English voice laden with sarcasm broke the awkward silence, punctuated as it was only by the still sobbing girl huddled against a tombstone, half hidden by bushes. “Well, well. Looks like we’ve got visitors, love, and me not in my best bib and tucker. You gonna introduce me?”

TBC....