ooooo

Spike sat impatiently on a headstone, waiting for Buffy to show up for patrol. He examined the chipped black polish on his nails. Why did he ever stop painting them? Because Buffy didn’t like it, or because he stopped caring…?

He heard a noise behind him and immediately turned around. A freshly risen vampire, getting ready to attack. Might as well get in a spot of violence. He thought with a shrug, and got out his stake. He landed a few punches and kicks, then staked the vamp.

He turned around, and suddenly stood face to face with Buffy. He startled a little, but relaxed immediately. She on the other hand, held a defensive stance and looked at him with squinted eyes. “I know what you are.” She said icily before he could say anything.

Oh bloody, buggering hell. “You do, do you?” He said, trying to keep his voice even. He sighed. “Look, I know what you think, but it’s not like that.”

“So you’re not an evil vampire, who apparently doesn’t stop until he killed everyone within range?” She asked sarcastically, secretly hoping that he really wasn’t. She didn’t know why she wanted him to be good so badly. Okay, yeah, he was really cute. But she had Angel…or at least, they were sort of together…but they were in love with each other, so there was no reason for her to be interested in Spike…right?

Spike sighed deeply. How was he gonna explain this to her. “Yeah, that’s what I was like, ‘n the old days. I’ve changed.”

“Changed how?” Buffy asked with a frown, and took a small step closer. “Did you get cursed, like Angel?”

Spike shook his head. “No, not cursed. I went and got my soul on my own free will.”

“So you do have a soul?” Spike nodded. “And you fight demons and stuff?” He nodded again. “Then why did Angel think you’re evil?”

“Because…well, we ‘aven’t seen each other in about a hundred years. Things change. We both did since then…” Spike said, remembering that in this time he and Angel actually hadn’t seen each other. Wouldn’t it be suspicious if he knew about Angel’s soul already?

Buffy nodded, and studied his face for a moment while he was staring in space in thought. He had clear blue eyes, razor-sharp cheekbones that were just to die for, and in his eyebrow a scar, that was just about the sexiest thing she had ever seen. Shaking her head, she tried to rid herself of bad thoughts. Think Angel! He’s the one you love! Angel is waaay sexy, and he’s sweet and thoughtful, and mysterious and Spike really looks hot in that coat – No! Angel’s coat is way hotter!

“Somethin’ on your mind, love?” Spike asked, pulling her out of her thoughts.

“What? No!” She said quickly. “Uh, no, just…nothing. Wanna patrol?” She asked, hoping to see him fight some more.

“Sure.” Spike answered with a nod and a small smile. They started walking through the cemetery, throwing glances at each other every once in a while.

“So…if you have a soul, how come you’re nothing like Angel?” Buffy then asked.

Spike chuckled. “That’s like askin’ how come every person in the world isn’t the same.”

Buffy smiled. “I know, I meant, why aren’t you all…broody, and guilty about your past and stuff?” She looked at him curiously, wondering if maybe he was just acting tough.

Spike shrugged. “’s not like I don’t feel guilty, just…I dunno, I guess I just accepted that what’s done is done, and I can’t change who I used to be. Angel is all about redeemin’ himself, and payin’ for his wrongs and the like…he really has a nack for makin’ himself suffer as much as possible.”

“When did you get your soul?”

“Uh, ‘bout a year ago I guess.” He said, although it was actually more about five years in the future now.

“You said you went to get it willingly, why? You seem like someone who’d like being evil and stuff…” She asked hesitantly.

He raised an eyebrow. “Do you always ask this many questions?” He asked, effectively avoiding answering the question. He didn’t exactly know how to tell her that.

She blushed slightly. “No. I’m just curious…vampires with souls don’t exactly come in herds, you know?” Buffy remembered him saying something about Angel, and squinted her eyes a little and looked at him suspiciously. “How do you know so much about Angel if you haven’t seen him in a hundred years?”

Spike was stuck there. “I uh…” Luckily, a vampire attacked before he had to answer.

ooooo


An hour later they were still patrolling. They were just walking aimlessly through the cemetery, Spike listening to Buffy talking about parent teacher night and how her mother had totally wigged after talking to Snyder and she was grounded for like two weeks. He looked at her from time to time, smiling at how she was chatting happily, not yet having faced to true burden of being the Slayer. He really loved seeing her happy, he hadn’t really seen much of her like that the past few years.

“…and my mom came out like ‘in the car, now!’ and Snyder came out looking all smug and I just wanted to kill him, but of course I couldn’t because you know, human…or at least that’s what he says...”

Man she sure can talk. She never did that in the past –or, uh future. What was that about her mum? Oh god, Joyce. She was still alive in this time. A feeling of sadness washed over him. He’d always liked Buffy’s mother. She’d treated him like she would any man. Well, this time she’s not gonna die. Not if he could do anything about it. He’d get Buffy to check up on her earlier, make the doctors check again after the operation…

When she saw his occupied stare into nothing she stopped talking. He looked like he was in pain about something. He’d sometimes gotten these pained looks during patrol, like he was thinking of painful memories. “I’m sorry, am I talking too much?” She asked apologetically.

“Huh? Oh no, ‘s fine, really. ‘M just…thinkin’.” He shook his head, he had to stay focused. Those memories were the future now, and he could still change it.

“About what?” She asked, hoping he’d share it with her. She didn’t know what it was, but she had a feeling like she knew Spike longer than just a day…

“Nothin’ important.” At her disappointed look, he knew she was really starting to get interested in him. “I’ll tell you ‘bout it someday.”

Someday? Sounds like he’s staying. She thought hopefully. She liked him – not in a like like way, of course. But he was so different than Angel. She didn’t know why she thought he’d be the same, just because they both had souls. But Angel was always so brooding, and mysterious. She never really could read how he was feeling, and it frustrated her sometimes. Spike, on the other hand, was totally honest about how he felt about things, although she could see there was a past he was hiding…and not just like the death and destruction past Angel was keeping from her, to ‘protect’ her.

Speaking of Angel, they both felt a familiar tingle, indicating the vampire they knew and loved – or in Spike’s case, loathed. “Angel.” Spike said when they both turned around to face him. “What brings you to this neck of the woods?” He asked casually.

“Might ask you the same thing, Spike.” He spat.

Spike sighed. That stupid git would never change would he?

“Calm down Angel, Spike’s not like you said he’d be. He’s good.” Buffy said, taking a step towards him.

Not willing to trust Spike as easily as she apparently had, he eyed him suspiciously. Spike straightened his back to meet his eyes just as challenging, but Angel could see the change. He slumped his shoulders in defeat, and looked at Spike with surprise. “You have a soul, don’t you?”

Spike nodded. “I’ve a soul, yeh. But unlike you, I was already different before I got mine.” He said cockily.

Angel took a small step towards him. “Really, and why’s that?”

“Fell in love with a girl.” He said, and glanced at Buffy quickly before setting his eyes back on Angel’s.

At that Buffy felt a slight pang of jealousy. She didn’t know why she felt it, she had no reason to be jealous. It wasn’t like she like liked Spike or anything…she loved Angel, so, no danger. But still, he said he only got his soul a year ago, so that must mean he’s still with that girl he fell in love with. Somehow disappointed, Buffy averted her gaze from him to the ground. No big. So he’s taken, who cares? Not me. No siree…now, focus on Angel.

“Someone other than Dru?” Angel asked incredulously. “Not possible.”

“Well ‘s possible, mate.” Spike sighed. “Unfortunately, the bird and I ain’t together anymore, an’ I had to take Dru with me to SunnyD. She’s sickly you know.” Hm, that sounded convincing enough.

“What happened?” Angel asked, not really caring about Dru or anything, but she was still sort of family.

“Mob attack in Prague.”

Feeling slightly relieved over that fact that Spike wasn’t together with that girl, Buffy wondered who this Dru was. They both seemed to know her, so she must be a vampire too. “Who’s Dru?”

Spike turned his attention to Buffy. “Drusilla. My sire and ex. We were together for over a hundred years, until I met yo- this other girl.” He almost slipped up there. Gotta be more careful ‘bout what I say to these people.

“Must’ve been some girl, to break up such a long relationship.” She said, trying to sound casually.

“Yeah, she was really special.” Spike said, staring into her eyes intently as if trying to tell her she’s that girl. And also, was that jealousy he detected in her voice?

Angel looked at the two staring at each other, and felt a small pit of jealousy rising in his stomach. He could see in Spike’s eyes he was definitely interested in Buffy. And what was with that story anyway? It sounded like half of it was missing. No way that Spike would exchange Drusilla for some girl, and get a soul for her. It just wasn’t how he was.

“Buffy, can I talk to you for a minute?” He asked, distracting her from staring at Spike.

She smiled at him. “Sure.” She looked at Spike. “See you tomorrow?” He just nodded with a small smirk playing on his lips and then he took off. He knew he was getting to her.

Or, he pretended to take off, and hid in the shadows a few meters away, so he could spy on what they were doing.

“I’m not sure about him, Buffy. Something about his story seemed off.” Angel said as soon as he thought Spike was gone.

“What do you mean?” She asked with a frown.

“Getting a soul and dumping Drusilla? That’s not like Spike, at all.” Spike clenched his jaw when he heard him say that. How would he know? He didn’t know anything about him anymore. And now he was probably making Buffy suspicious again.

“Maybe he’s changed. He said you haven’t seen each other in hundred years.” Buffy reasoned.

“Yeah. Maybe. But I still don’t trust him. Something’s up, there’s something he’s not telling us, I’m sure.” Spike smirked. Like what, being from the future?

Buffy just shrugged. “I guess we’ll see.”

Angel looked at her for a few seconds. Did she like Spike? She sure looked like it. “Buffy,…” He was about to ask something about it, but changed his mind, knowing he was only gonna sound jealous and she would deny it. So instead he leaned in, and kissed her.

Buffy was both pleased and shocked, butterflies flying all over the place instead of just staying in her stomach. This was the first kiss after their first kiss…and that was months ago. Shrugging it off, she happily kissed back and wrapped her arms around his neck as his hands went to the small of her back.

Spike’s jaw twitched in anger as he watched the two. This felt just like the time he saw them kissing after she killed Caleb, only worse, because this time there were obviously tongues involved. Feeling his heart sting, he turned and took off. But he wouldn’t let himself be defeated. He knew it looked like he lost now, but they weren’t there yet. He could still win her over.

ooooo

I know some of you don’t really like the Buffy/Angel stuff, but come on, be realistic here, this is after all season two, where Buffy was totally smitten for Angel. But do not fear, this isn’t a Spuffy story for nothing! Please review!