Oooo

“I think Spike is in the past,” Buffy said.

A long silence followed in which everyone contemplated the truth of that one statement. Xander was the first one to speak, surprising everyone with his question. “How do we get him back?”

“Now hold on, we’re not even sure that Spike is actually in the past,” Giles protested.

“Giles, you got the new memories, didn’t you? We all did.” Both Willow and Xander nodded at her in conformation.

“Yes, but it could also be something or other playing tricks on us.”

“What could anyone possibly get out of making us think Spike is in the past?” Buffy asked, raising one eyebrow.

“Well, er, uhm…” Not being able to come up with anything, Giles sighed, resigning himself to the fact that no matter what he was going to say, all Buffy’s time and energy would now be put into finding a way to get the vampire back.

“How do you think he got there?” Willow asked.

“I-I don’t know. But it must’ve happened after…after he – you know.” She wrapped her arms around herself. “I mean, I think I remember him telling us something about the Powers That Be?”

Giles frowned, “Yes, he told us that they sent him back to change things.”

“Things like what?” Xander asked.

“Everything. Even if it’s intentional or not, Spike’s very presence in the past will change everything.”

They all looked a bit overwhelmed with that knowledge. “But – But seeing as we’re getting the memories and all, you think that eventually it will erase all the old memories?” Buffy asked fearfully.

“I think so, yes.” Giles said contemplatively.

Buffy shook her head. She didn’t want things to change. Despite how horrible some of her past had been, it had made her who she was now. Giving her new memories would make her become someone else, someone she didn’t know, and that frightened her more than anything.

If it hadn’t been for the fact that Spike was in the past, proving that he was actually alive, she probably would have let it happen, hoping for a chance that the new future would bring Spike back. But now she knew there was a chance that she could have her Spike back, she was determined to do everything in her power to find him and take him home.

“We have to get him back.” She said determinedly.

Both Willow and Xander nodded in agreement. “I’m not exactly sure how much I like the idea of changing my past. I-I mean, a lot of bad things happened and stuff, but our memories are kind of what makes us, you know, us.” Willow said.

“Exactly, we wouldn’t know who we’d be changing into if we let this happen.” Buffy said. She fastened her eyes on Willow. “Will, I’m thinking we’re gonna need magic to do this.”

She nodded, “Right. I-I was thinking some sort or time-travel spell.”

Giles eyes grew wide. “Time travel!? Even if there is such a thing, it – it is incredibly dangerous!”

“Isn’t there a way to sort of pull him back to this time?” Xander asked, not liking the idea of doing something so risky. He’d seen Back To The Future.

Willow shook her head. “There’s no way. He’d need to be pulled into a body, and his body is, well, kinda dusty. Also we couldn’t be entirely sure we’d be taking him from the right time-line. We have to go back ourselves and determine the situation from there.”

“But…time travel, is it even possible?” Buffy asked.

“I didn’t think it was. But when I was all, you know, addicted, I found all these rare and advanced spells, including one to go back or forth in the folds of time. I put it away to try some time later, but when I came a bit more to my senses, I realized I couldn’t risk something like that, knowing I could change everything with the tiniest thing.”

“But since everything’s already being changed, it couldn’t do that much extra harm, right?” Buffy asked hopefully.

“I think so.”

Xander frowned. “But Will, you sucked up all the dangerous books when you were all evil, that means the spell is probably gone too.”

Willow grimaced at the memory of that period in her life. “Not gone, Xander. Inside me. All the information and power that was in those books now lives inside me.” She saw his eyes growing wide when he was once again reminded of exactly how powerful she was.

Buffy stepped forward, drawing Willow’s attention. “So can you do it?”

Oooo

The next evening everyone was gathered in the library, including Angel, Cordelia and Jenny Calendar. After hearing the cliff notes version of Spike’s story, everyone was sort of just staring dumbfounded at Spike, Buffy and Giles.

“So basically what you’re saying is that…Spike’s from the future?” Xander asked sceptically. At their nods he started laughing unsurely, hoping they would join him. When they didn’t he stopped, “So…you’re not in any way, kidding?”

“Look, I know it’s hard to believe, but –“ Spike started, but was interrupted by Angel, who up until now had been listening quietly.

“You’re lying.”

Spike rolled his eyes and sighed dramatically. “Am I now?”

“You really expect us to believe this crap?” Angel took a threatening step toward him.

“Angel, what could he possibly gain by making up a story like this?” Buffy asked in a tone that wasn’t too sarcastic, since she was talking to her sort-of-boyfriend, but enough to let him know she wanted him to shut up and believe it.

“I don’t know, but this is Spike, there’s always something.” Angel narrowed his eyes when he turned them back to Spike who was looking at him with an annoyed expression, “They may believe you, but I know you’re planning something, Spike, and I’m going to find out what it is.”

“Knock y’self out, pops,” Spike said in the most sarcastic voice he could muster. He couldn’t care less what Angel thought of his story. It was, after all, the truth.

Xander was about to voice his agreement to what Angel said, when he stopped and blanched at just who he was about to agree with. If there was one thing he didn’t want to do, it was agreeing with Angel, or acknowledging he’s right. Besides, Buffy and Giles seemed to believe the story, and Giles was the smartest one around. So he chose to go with it for now. “What I wanna know is, whether in the future I’ll date any hot girls.” He said with a grin, and got a lot of rolls of the eyes in response. Oh yeah, Xan-man, ever the jokester.

Jenny stepped to the fore, “You said you were sent by the Powers that Be to change things…what things, exactly? Things that will happen soon?”

“Well for starters, I’m supposed to stop Buffy from shaggin’ the poofter, ‘cause it makes ‘im lose his shiny soul.” He said and smirked when Buffy turned a deep scarlet, Angel narrowed his eyes even more, as did Xander’s, and Willow shot up looking exited.

“You mean Buffy and Angel are gonna – ow!” Buffy had kicked her in the shin, “Sorry.” She said sheepishly.

“What do you mean, lose his soul?” Jenny asked. She knew about the curse, of course, but this was something she’d never heard of.

Spike heaved a deep internal sigh and prepared himself for a long evening of having to explain things…again. Bloody Scoobies with their bloody questions. Although of course he couldn’t really blame them, it was a lot to take in, and having someone know the future was bound to bring up a lot of questions.

Oooo

Later that evening Buffy and Spike were slowly walking across the cemetery on a late night patrol. The evening had been chaotic, to say the least. After everyone had sort of accepted Spike’s story or gone along with it (except Angel), they had all bombarded Spike with question after question about what the future would bring. Many of those questions had been left unanswered, because Spike didn’t want to risk changing things that didn’t need changing. Finally Buffy had managed to put a stop to it by pointing out the late hour and promptly inviting Spike for a patrol.

So now they were walking, mostly in silence, and Buffy was burning to ask something that had been plaguing her mind ever since Spike’s little visit at her bedroom last night.

“Spike, I-“ She paused, slightly embarrassed over her question.

“Yeah?” Spike looked at her and raised his eyebrow in question.

“It’s just - about, you know, what you said last night…” She trailed off.

“Buffy.”

“About the uhm, sex thing. You said she, me – in the future – that she used you…”

Spike stayed silent, waiting for her to finish even though he wasn’t sure if this was a subject he wanted to discuss, especially with this young and innocent version of Buffy.

“I was just wondering…I mean, it just doesn’t seem like something I would ever do and, you know, why would you let her do that?”

Spike didn’t say anything for a while, thinking of how to answer this. “It’s not something that, under normal circumstances, you would have done. It was a really bad time for her, you know? Made her feel all depressed-like and…being with me seemed the only thin’ that made her feel remotely better, or at least I’d like to think so. An’ as for me letting her…I loved her. An’ I thought if I’d let her do…what she needed to do, eventually it would help her. Didn’t really work out as well as I’d hoped, ‘f course.” He smiled ruefully.

“But what happened that was so bad to make me all depressed like that?”

“I…I think it’s better ‘f I didn’t tell you. It do’n’t happen until a few years from now, an’ I’m hoping that I’ll be able to prevent it.”

“But wouldn’t it be easier to prevent it if I knew what it was?” Buffy argued, beyond curious now, and also a little scared.

“Not this thing, Buffy. It would only freak you out.”

“But-“

“Let it go, love. I don’t wanna talk about it.” Spike said abruptly and continued to walk at a faster pace.

Buffy widened her eyes. Geez what got into him? “Spike, wait!” She jogged to catch up with him and he slowed down his pace. “So uhm…tell me about future-us.”

“What do you wanna know?” He asked without looking at her.

“Well I mean, it got better between us, right? After the – the using? I mean I started treating you better, right?”

Spike could hear the anxious tone in her voice and he could tell she was scared of what the future held, what sort of a person she’d become. “Yeah, love, we were right close toward the end.”

She stopped walking, making him follow her lead. She stepped a little closer to him, “So, we were together, like, a couple?” Oh God, I’m totally flirting with him! But she couldn’t help herself, he was so hot and really nice and his voice was just so…sexy, especially with that accent. What about Angel? He’s supposed to be your boyfriend, remember? Yeah, but she got the feeling like Angel thought their kiss from last week was a mistake. He seemed to be avoiding her, so why shouldn’t she flirt with this incredibly hot guy – vampire – who just happened to love her – or was that just her older version?

Spike gazed down at her and despite her so young age and innocence, it was still Buffy and he couldn’t help but feel the pull toward her. “No, love, we weren’t together. Too many things were happening; apocalypse, me dying.”

“But you wanted to be together.”

“God, yes.” Spike answered honestly.

“So…does that mean, you want to be with me, too?” Buffy asked hopefully, trying to sound innocent but sultry at the same time while she stepped even closer to him, looking up in his eyes through her eyelashes.

Even when he didn’t think he was able to answer that question entirely the way she hoped he would, his body was reacting to the closeness-of-Buffy. He leaned forward so their lips were nearly touching. “Wouldn’t you like to know?” Came the evasive answer.

She looked a bit disappointed and the moment that pout appeared on her luscious lips, he was gone. He crashed his lips on hers and she responded immediately. He devoured her lips and when she opened her mouth a little he thrust his tongue in and passionately let it glide over hers. He groaned at the taste of her, he’d missed it desperately. He brought his hands to her back and pressed her flush against him, while her hands were clutched to his shoulders as if she were afraid she’d fall if she let go.

When he sensed her need for air he slowly broke away and touched his forehead to hers. “Buffy,” He breathed.

Buffy shivered at the way he said her name; no one had ever said it to her in such a way, so intimate and erotic. Like she was desperately desired. “Wow…” She gasped for air as she recovered from the most amazing and passionate kiss she’d ever had.

Spike was on the verge of telling her how he’d missed kissing her when he remembered himself, and who exactly he was kissing. It wasn’t like he didn’t want to be kissing Buffy, it wasn’t that at all. He just wasn’t able to get used to the fact that she was so young, and that she was practically a stranger to him and he to her, and this Buffy had never kissed him before. But he supposed he was just going to have to get to know her all over again.

He took a step back and smiled at Buffy who was still looking a bit dazed. “Alright, pet?”

She blinked, and a bright, lazy smile appeared on her face. “More than alright.”

Spike smirked. “C’mon kitten, I’ll walk you home.”

The walk to Revello Drive was made in a comfortable silence, in which Buffy was still basking in the afterglow of their kiss. When they reached the tree in front of Buffy’s window they stood still.

“So…I guess, I’ll see you?” Buffy said and leaned forward a bit, hoping he would kiss her again.

She was a little disappointed when he merely tucked some hair behind her ear, his hand trailing over her cheek and he smiled, “G’night, love.” And with that he turned and disappeared into the night, his duster blowing in the wind behind him.

She deeply sighed in a way that was almost a swoon. “Goodnight.”

Oooo

Buffy couldn’t help herself; she was just lying on the grass, looking at the stars above her, feeling incredibly giddy. After so many weeks of grieving, she felt like a heavy load had been lifted off her shoulders. Spike was alive. He was really alive. Granted, he wasn’t exactly in this timeline, but it was her Spike, and they could get him back, she just knew it! How would he react? How would she react to seeing him again? She got the strange feeling like she might feel like fainting. The least she would do is jump into his arms and tell him she loved him.

No you don’t, but thanks for saying it.

Stop it! He didn’t mean that! He was just saying that to get her out of there…Right? But what if he really didn’t believe her, how could he not believe her? He had to know she wouldn’t just say that if she didn’t mean it…well, either way, she’d just have to convince him.

Her brain fell silent for a moment and it allowed a new stream of freshly-made memories to enter her mind. The last one made her bolt up straight with wide eyes. Oh, my god. That filthy, slut-bag hussy was shamelessly trying to steal Spike! Only days after kissing Angel! She jumped to her feet and hurried into the house and searched out Willow. She found her in the living room.

“Will, I know you said you needed more time to research and stuff, but could you please hurry it up? That dirty ho is macking on Spike!”

“Buffy, that dirty ho is you remember?”

“…Oh yeah, and also – hey!”

Willow grinned at her, “Said it yourself. But in all seriousness, I think I almost got it down. But I still gotta get all the ingredients, so I’m thinking two days tops. And we’ll still need to fly to America and drive to the Sunnydale-crater.”

“How is that again?”

“Well I just think that when we go back in time – by the way stop and marvel at that concept – it’d be handier if we ended up in Sunnydale, and not back here in London.”

“Right, makes sense.” She fell silent and stood there a little awkwardly.

Willow watched her friend squirm and smiled. “Something wrong, Buffy?”

Buffy let out a huff of breath and plopped down on the couch next to Willow. “It’s just that – I just got a new set of memories about…Spike was kissing her – me.”

“He was?” Willow asked with wide eyes.

“Yeah and it was this totally hot, amazing kiss and mini-me was being all swoony and thinking it was the best kiss she’d ever had and…” She paused and slumped further into her seat. “What if he’d rather be with the younger version of me than…me?”

“He doesn’t.”

Buffy looked at the redhead, surprised at how assured she seemed of that. “How do you know?”

Willow smiled, “Okay, forget the fact that Spike used to be evil the first time you met him for a moment, kay? Who would you rather be with, the Spike you’ve known for six years, who shares a lot of history with you, who got a soul for you; or a Spike who has no idea who you really are, but thinks you’re kinda hot?” Buffy wanted to say something, but Willow seemed on a roll now.

“And say you got sent to the past, without any option to get back to your own time. Would you rather try to build a new relationship with the Spike who doesn’t know you, or just stay alone and missing the older Spike?” She raised her eyebrows as if Buffy daring to contradict her.

“Well when you put it that way…” Buffy grumbled. That did kind of make sense, but that didn’t mean she had to like it. “How do you know so much about Spike’s situation anyway?”

Willow smiled sheepishly. “I don’t, I just sort of guessed.”

Oooo

To be continued...please review!!!