Oooo

Buffy rushed through the halls of Sunnydale High in a flurry of excitement, searching for her best friend. She hadn’t been able to sleep for a long time, lying awake, thinking of that earth-shattering kiss. And when she’d finally fallen asleep, her dreams were filled with sizzling images of them together that went beyond her imagination. Had it maybe been more images of the future? If so, then oh. My. God!

“Willow!” She screeched as soon as she spotted the redhead alone at her locker. “I gotta tell you something!” She said with a big grin when she stopped in front of her.

Willow had just enough time to let an excited grin form on her lips before she was hauled away to the nearest ladies room. As soon as the doors had closed behind them they faced each other in gossip position. “Oh my God you are not going to believe what happened last night!”

“Well then tell me, I can’t take the suspense!”

“Last night, you know Spike and me went to patrol?” Willow nodded quickly. “Well we were just sorta talking, and then I guess I got a bit flirty and then…he kissed me!”

“Wow!”

“I know! And it was just so amazing and intense, you know? He kissed me with so much and fire and passion, I swear I almost fainted.”

“Wow…” Willow looked at her amazed. “So was he better than Angel?”

“Oh Will you couldn’t imagine – So much better! I mean, don’t get me wrong, Angel’s really an amazing kisser, but with Spike it’s like…he put all of what he is into it, I could feel it.”

Willow’s eyes widened, “A - And to think you got all knee-weak-y with Angel, that’s gotta really say something. Maybe it’s just, coz they’re both so old and they have so many years of kissing-experience that they – “ She stopped talking when she earned a glare from Buffy, so she quickly moved on, “So what happened next?”

Buffy rolled her eyes, but smiled anyway. “Well he walked me home and we said goodnight?”

“With more smoochies?” Willlow asked with a grin.

“Alas, no.”

“So uhm…” She trailed off, looking almost afraid to pose her next question. “What about Angel?”

Buffy sighed as she hopped onto counter. “I guess, nothing about Angel.” At Willow’s confused frown, she continued, “There wasn’t even anything going on before the Spike-kissage. I mean, after the out-of-the-blue kiss last week, I feel like he’s completely been giving me the cold shoulder. I’m thinking he probably thought it was a mistake or something. So that’s just too bad for him, and lucky for Spike…I hope.” She added with a frown; maybe she should wait for what Spike would do next before she jumped to conclusions of the ‘he’s my boyfriend’ kind.

Oooo

That night there was yet another meeting of the gang about the future-Spike phenomenon. Angel had also been present again, and had been keeping a close eye on Spike, and the way he interacted with Buffy. He definitely didn’t like the way Buffy blushed every time he called her ‘love’, or another one of those nicknames. And was it him, or did they seem to be standing close to each other all night? He also still didn’t trust Spike’s story.

Giles had been doing a lot of research, but had mostly come up with nothing, since nothing like this had ever been recorded of happening. So he had to settle for asking Spike as much detailed questions about his experience with the PTB-spokesperson as possible. Much to the annoyance of Spike, since he wasn’t able to answer at least half of them.

After the meeting Buffy had suggested to Spike that they patrol, and Angel had decided to tag along. Buffy had very subtly tried to make it clear that they did not need three strong people for what would probably be just one or two fledgling vamps. Spike had been blunter about his protest, saying that they didn’t need his poncy brooding brow to get in the way of their fighting. Still, Angel had come along, so Spike had deliberately been shamelessly flirting with Buffy every chance he got. The fact that she actually flirted back, and didn’t punch his nose, was an entirely new and liberating concept to him.

When Spike returned to the factory he found the place eerily quiet. “Drusilla?” He called as he made his way to the bedroom. He slowly pushed open the door and found her sitting on the bed with her knees drawn up to her chest, her arms wrapped around them and her head down. “Dru?”

She didn’t look up, so he walked over to the bed and gently sat down. “Look at me, love.” Slowly she lifted her head. He was surprised to see tears trailing down her beautiful face; in all the time he’d known her he’d only seen her actually cry once or twice and it had never had anything to do with him. “Pet, what’s wrong?”

Her eyes darted away from his, “Nothing’s the same.” She whimpered softly. “It’s all different, turned upside down. I want my Spike back. The red always mixed with the milk an’ tea so prettily, now I shall never have it again.” She looked at him, “You want to leave me, leave princess all alone.”

Spike moved up to sit next to her and gathered her in his arms. “Hush now, kitten. You’ll be alright.” He felt her move into his embrace, her head coming to rest on his chest.

“Yes,” She said slowly as she stared straight ahead, “soon it’ll all be right again and we shall sing and drink all the tea we please.” A small smile appeared on her lips as she closed her eyes and let herself take comfort in Spike’s embrace.

Oooo

A day and a half later, Buffy was going crazy of waiting. She knew Willow needed time to prepare, and she didn’t want her to rush it, but she just couldn’t wait anymore!

Last night Dawn had come home from staying over at a new friend’s. She hadn’t seemed to have any new memories, which was probably because technically she hadn’t been there at the time. So Buffy had told her about the resent events and how Spike was alive and kicking in the past and they were bringing him back. Her first reaction had been disbelief, next had come the shrieking and exclamations of ‘Oh my God!’ and next she’d started to beg if she could come with them. When Buffy had told her that was impossible, she’d stomped up the stairs, slammed her door and hadn’t come out of her room as of yet.

“Done!” Buffy looked over at Willow was perched at the head o the table, looking very accomplished.

“Done?” She walked over and looked at whatever it was that Willow had spread out over the table.

“I’m finished with the last of the preparations. See there was this spell-ingredient that had to be conjured and, presto! Here it is.” She held up some squiggly looking ball-thing that Buffy couldn’t really identify.

“So, you’re finished? Already?”

“Yeah it went faster than I’d thought. Now all there’s left to do is get a ticked to LA and we’re off to the past!”

“Willow you’re the best!” Buffy hugged her friend tightly before suddenly bolting upright. “Oh my God, what do I wear?!” She ran up to her room, leaving an amused Willow in her wake.

Oooo

Buffy was just about to turn into bed, when she heard a knock on her window. Surprised, and hoping it was Spike out there, she pulled back the curtain and found she was slightly disappointed to see Angel perched there, where just two weeks ago she’d be overexcited. She opened to window. “Hey Angel, what’s up?”

“Can we talk?”

“I guess, come in.” She stepped back, suddenly becoming a little nervous and fluttery at the thought of him in her bedroom. She quickly checked the room to see if there was no underwear lying around. “What is it?” She asked when Angel had fully entered the room.

“What’s going on between you and Spike?”

She frowned, he sounded jealous. Her heart involuntarily fluttered at the thought. “What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean, Buffy; you two were flirting constantly tonight, right in front of me.”

“Jealous?”

“No - well, yes. I mean –“ He paused. “You know how I feel about you, Buffy.”

“No, actually I don’t.”

“Well I thought you and I had…you know? I mean, last week – “

“-Yeah, I did too, right up until you started giving me the brush off, and you know what? A girl can only be ignored for so long until she takes the hint and moves on.”

“Buffy I, I’m sorry for that. It’s just I wasn’t sure we should be getting involved, with me being…-“

“So we can’t be together, but I can’t be with anyone else either?”

“Spike would be just as bad for you as me. Worse, even, for you can’t entirely trust him.”

“Well I can’t entirely trust you either, so maybe I should decide here.”

“I’m just trying –“ He sighed, “what I wanna say is, I want to be with you. If you want, that is. Just – start slow, you know. Maybe we could uhm, go out on a date?”

He looked so hopeful that she fought to bite back the smile. The truth was, she didn’t know who she wanted anymore. Before, the choice had been simple, Angel was so dark, mysterious and handsome. But now Spike was there, and she could actually talk to him, laugh with him, and he was gorgeous to boot. Great kisser too. But she was still sort of in love with Angel. She sighed dramatically. “I don’t know, Angel. I’m just….really confused right now, I need to think about it for a while, okay?”

Angel gave her a small smile. “Of course. I guess I’ll go.” He carefully leaned in and kissed the corner of her lips. “I’ll see you.” And with that he turned and climbed out the window.

“G’night.” She mumbled with a sigh.

Oooo

She had no idea how it happened, but somehow Cordelia had managed to rope her into going to a frat party the next evening. She supposed her soul-y-vampires-confusion had gotten to her and she felt she needed some time out with some slightly less old and more alive boys. Ignoring Cordy’s warning of not wearing black, she’d gone with a cute short black dress and headed to the party with the cheerleader who hadn’t even worn black.

And of course, as was the way of Buffy, trouble had managed to find her, or vice versa. Angel and her friends had come to the rescue – or rather, to do the clean-up.

Anyway, that had been an eventful evening, and now once again Buffy and Spike were patrolling, and this time the subject was on Halloween, which was the next night.

“I just don’t really get it, Giles says Halloween is like a ‘night off’ for baddies, but shouldn’t it more like the night to get extra crazy ‘n evil?”

“’s what it used to be, but it jus’ became to clichéd so the tradition changed to not goin’ out at all.”

“Huh…so anyway, tomorrow night after we drop the kids off, we’re going to the Bronze for this big Halloween party. You should come.”

Spike smirked when he remembered the Halloween of this year. Buffy’d been in some bulky dress, which had turned her into a scared 18th century duchess. He momentarily thought about warning her about what would happen, but since he hadn’t ever really found out who was behind it, plus there’d been no-one who’d seriously gotten hurt, he decided to just let it happen. It had been pretty funny, after all. Well, if you didn’t count him trying to kill Buffy that is…

“On one condition, love. You go dressed as some kind of action hero-type.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow at that, but decided not to comment. She nodded, “Alright. So you’ll meet me at my house at about 6:30?”

Spike agreed and they kept on walking.

It was a while later when a breeze started up. Add that to the late October midnight weather and you had a chilly night, so Buffy shivered.

“Cold?”

She shrugged and wrapped her arms around herself, not wanting to seem too whiney. “Just a little.”

Immediately Spike shrugged off his duster and draped it over her shoulders, “Here, pet.”

She smiled up at him and gratefully put her arms through the sleeves. “Thank you.”

Just then a vampire came from some bushes, snarling and looking angry. “It’s your turn,” Buffy said cheekily as she buried her hands in the coat pockets and leaned against a tomb in a relaxed pose.

Spike merely grinned at her and jumped to attack the fledgling.

She was just enjoying watching the fight when she noticed something sitting in the left pocket of the coat. She pulled it out and gasped at what she saw. It was a picture of her, but the way she looked was not something Buffy recognized. She saw the mature and slightly sarcastic look she was giving whoever took the picture, and her eyes widened when she realized this must be the future-her. She looked at the picture in wonder; she looked so glamorous! Even wearing just jeans and a brown top, she seemed very classy, and she really liked the long hair. Suddenly struck with an idea, she sneaked a look at Spike to see if he hadn’t seen her holding the picture, and quickly slipped the photo in the back pocket of her pants. She couldn’t wait to see the look on his face…

Oooo

After nearly another two full days, Buffy and Willow finally arrived at the LA-airport. A ticket had only been available for a day later in the middle of the night, and the flight had taken nearly 14 hours. Plus they’d had to hire a car to drive to the Sunnycrater, which had taken a while. Now, if everything went fine, they should arrive there just before they had to start the ritual at sundown, and they’d be in the past around nightfall on this warm Halloween.

Buffy watched the scenery roll by from the passengers seat of the hired car. Everything looked so familiar, she felt like she was going home, though that home was no longer there. Her nerves were wreaking havoc in her tummy, like bats flying around constantly. She’d been getting some new memories, so she sort of knew what was going on in the past right now. She still had no idea how that whole time-space-continuum thingy worked; in all the movies the future usually changed right away, but she was just grateful that it was not the case.

She just hoped that her younger self wouldn’t try to get in her way of taking Spike with her, or she’d have to fight herself, which would just be confusing. All she wanted was to jump in Spike’s arms and never let go, but she had to wait a few more hours for that.

Oooo

Buffy looked at herself in the mirror and smiled widely. It was almost identical – apart from the younger look. She wore black boots, hip hugger jeans her mom got out of the attic for her, a brown top that she’d altered slightly to fit the look, and of course as la piece de…resisting – or something – the wig she’d bought at Ethan’s. She’d cut the long blond locks a bit shorter and with some layers in the front, at the top of her head she’d brushed a lock back and fastened it with a clip. Her make-up was lighter than usual, as future-Buffy wore less. “Perfect,” she mumbled. “Okay, Willow, come out. You can’t hide in there all night.”

“O-okay, but promise you won’t laugh?” came the nervous reply.

“I promise.” Buffy said with a smile.

Willow opened the door and came out wearing boots, a short black leather skirt and a dark red midriff-baring top. The expression on her face screamed discomfort and as soon as she was out she stepped over to grab her ghost-costume.

“Wow! You’re a dish!” Buffy said. Willow still tried to hide herself with the sheet, but Buffy took it from her and tossed it aside. “I mean, really.”

“But this just isn’t me.” Willow protested as she tried to cover herself with her arms.

“And that’s the point.” She walked around Willow to show her the mirror. “Look, Halloween is the night that not-you, is you, but not you, you know?”

Willow squirmed uncomfortably and turned back around to face Buffy, hoping to change the subject. She looked Buffy up and down to criticize her costume. “I still don’t get what you’re supposed to be – not that you don’t look pretty, coz you do – really.”

With a grin Buffy held up the picture, “I found this in Spike’s coat.” Seeing Willow’s frown as she looked at the picture, she clarified, “It’s me from the future.”

Willow gasped, her eyes widening, “No way! You look so…grown up. Oh! So you’re dressed up as that for Spike?”

“Exactly!”

“So where’re you meeting him?”

“Here. After trick-or-treating. Mom’s gonna be out.”

“Does he know about your costume?”

“Nope. He said to dress up as an action-hero-type-person. In a way I am, I mean, the Slayer could be called a sort of action hero…or something,” She scrunched up her nose as she momentarily envisioned herself wearing tights and a cape and acting all heroic as she did her daily slayage. She shrugged the image off. “Call it a blast from his…future. I’ll show him I can be all mature Buffy.” She said with a grin.

Just then the doorbell rang. “Oh! That’s Xander, are you ready?”

“Yeah. O-o-okay.” Willow said, looking extremely nervous.

“Cool! I can’t wait for the boys to go non-verbal when they see you!” Buffy exclaimed and rushed down the stairs to open the door.

Xander came in, saluting with his toy gun in his hand. “Private Harris, reporting for…” He trailed off as he saw Buffy in her costume. “Buffy! Wow who’d have thought a hippie could ever look so sophisticated.”

Buffy frowned. “I’m not a hippie.”

“You’re not?” Xander scratched his head in confusion.

“No! I’m me from the future! Okay, I guess some of these clothes are kind of…but I guess that’s the style in a few years.” Buffy once again held up the picture.

Xander’s eyes bulked out. “Yowzer. Gimme some o’ that!” His eyes widened and quickly recoiled. “I-I mean uh, you know, uh…” He cleared his throat.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Sure, Xander. But wait till you see…” She started to say excited but then they turned to look up the stairs at Willow, who came down the steps, dressed in her ghost costume with a big BOO! On the chest. “…Casper.”

“Hey Will! That’s aaa fine boo you got there.”

Oooo

Buffy looked around the vast space of the crater that was once her home town. The ground was littered with soda cans and food wrappers of sorts. On the ground nearby she spotted a folder. She picked it up, her eyebrows shot up at what she saw; it was a tourism folder praising the ‘Sunnycrater’ as a miraculous freak of nature, and therefore ‘the’ attraction to go when visiting California.

Apparently it was a good thing they’d arrived this late in the evening, otherwise the place might have been filled with tourists and it wouldn’t have made for a good place to perform the ritual.

She walked closer to the edge and tried to discern where the high school could have been. She couldn’t see much into the piles of rubble, but she did see what seemed like a broken door and other kinds of things that belonged to houses or buildings. Somewhere in there lay Spike’s ashes. The thought made her shudder and a wave of sadness washed over her. Had it only been three weeks ago? It seemed like she’d been missing and grieving for Spike for an eternity now.

Tears threatened to well up in her eyes and she quickly blinked them away. It won’t be long now and I’ll have him back. The thought brought an excited feeling to her stomach, and she glanced over at Willow to see if she was done setting up the spell so they could get cracking.

The redhead caught her gaze and gave a nod. Buffy walked over, “So, what do I do?”

“Not much really, just sit down in the circle, in front of me, and hold both my hands. I’ll do the witchy-magic part.” Willow gave a nervous smile. She’d only twice before performed a ritual of this magnitude. The first time being Buffy’s resurrection, and the last one being three weeks ago, activating hundreds of Slayers. So butterflies were not an uncommon thing.

Buffy sat down and did as instructed. “Okay.” Willow took a deep breath and shifted into a slightly more comfortable position. “Comfy? Coz, this might take a while.”

Oooo

Please leave some feedback and let me know what you think!