Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all of you who have taken time to leave me a review for last chapter, means so much to me!
Spike froze and pulled back, abruptly. Buffy’s eyes widened when she realized what had just slipped out of her mouth. Panicking, she reached out for him, desperate to keep him from leaving, but it was too late. “Spike… wait, I’m… I don’t know why I said…” Her head was spinning, and she jumped to her feet, carefully taking a step towards him, but he backed away. She swallowed. “Spike, please…”

“Think I’ve better go.” His voice was strained, and he kept his eyes on the floor.

“Spike, no, please stay. I can explain, just don’t go!” Buffy was practically begging now, she was aware of that, but she didn’t care.

He finally looked at her, and his eyes were cold. “Why? Clearly I’m not the one you want to be with, don’t know what I was thinking. I thought…” He paused, not sure of what he wanted to say.

Buffy desperately tried to keep the tears from falling. “But I do want…” She forced back a sob. “I’m so sorry.”

“Me too.” Spike grabbed his duster, which he had thrown on a chair. “Don’t know why I thought I could ever compete with the dead.” He turned around to leave, but Buffy rushed after him, grabbing his arm to keep him from going.

“That’s not fair!” She was crying now, but Spike refused to look at her, knowing that if he saw her tears he would give in. “Please, can’t we just talk about this? Just hear me out, and I promise…”

“Buffy…” He let out a sigh, feeling a headache coming up. “If you’ve ever cared about me at all…”

“I do! Spike, I…”

He went on, ignoring her interruption. “…then you’ll let me go.”

She became silent, and he knew she had given up. For a moment, he didn’t know if he was relieved or disappointed. Then she let go of his arm, and there was nothing keeping him there anymore. Without another word, he slipped out through the door, not looking back once.

Buffy remained standing in the middle of the training room, staring at the spot on the floor where he had been standing. This was not happening! For the first time in years, she had actually been happy, and then she had managed to ruin everything, just because she couldn’t let go of the past. Maybe she just wasn’t meant to be happy ever again. With that depressing thought in mind, she dropped to her knees, burying her face in her hands and let the tears fall.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Spike was just about to leave the Magic Box when he heard a voice behind him. “Where do you think you’re going? You’re in big trouble!”

He stopped with a sigh, and turned around to face Anya. “What are you on about?”

Anya glared at him. “You were supposed to open the shop, and then you just left it unguarded! What were you thinking?!”

Taking a deep breath, Spike silently counted to ten before answering. “I was just in the training room. Not like anyone was here, anyway.”

“That’s not the point!” Anya was very upset. “What if a customer had shown up, wanting to buy things? Or someone could’ve just come in here and… Oh my God, my money!” She rushed over to the cash register, desperate to see if anything was missing. The little bell over the door rang, and Giles and Xander entered the shop.

Spike rolled his eyes. “That’s all you bloody care about, isn’t it? Your soddin’ money.”

“Hey!” Xander walked up to them, looking from his fiancée to Spike. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing.” Spike closed his eyes for a moment, wishing he had left the training room sooner, so he wouldn’t have to put up with this. “I’m out of here.”

“Hold on.” Wesley had just appeared from the room in the back. “We have a lot of work to do today, and I suggest we start right away.” He paused for a moment before he went on. “You did quite well last night, but you still have a lot to learn. I brought some old texts you need to read, and then we should…”

“No.” Spike shook his head, determined to get away from the store before Buffy would come out from the training room.

Wesley stared at him, obviously taken aback. “I beg your pardon?”

“I said no.” Spike gave him a firm look, refusing to give in to the git. “Actually, I don’t feel so good; I’m going back to the house.”

Anya gave him a look-over, frowning. “You look all right to me.” Spike glared at her, and she became quiet.

“Spike…” Giles removed his glasses with a sigh. “I know you don’t want to hear this, but you are the Slayer. You have an obligation to…” Seeing that Spike was about to interrupt, he held up his hand to stop him. “I’m sorry, but you will have to stay here and work with Wesley.”

“Yeah?” Spike crossed his arms over his chest. “Then I quit.”

“Quit?” Xander stared at him in disbelief. “You can’t quit! Didn’t Giles explain to you that…?”

“Xander, please…” Giles put his glasses back on and turned back to Spike. “I know being the Slayer is not something you wish for yourself, but like I said before; you don’t have a choice. I am sorry, but that is just the way it is and you will have to accept that.” He paused. “I do understand how you feel, William felt the same way. But…”

“I’m not William!” Spike gave his uncle a cold look, suddenly hearing Buffy’s words all over again. He had been more hurt then he ever wanted to admit, but refused to let his emotions show.

Giles got a surprised look on his face. “I am perfectly aware of that, but you have to admit, you do have a lot in common. Both of you being the Slayer, for one thing. And if you ask me…”

“I didn’t ask you!” Spike looked around the room, aware of that everyone was staring at him. “In fact, I didn’t ask for any of this. And you…” He glared at the four people in the store, daring any of them to speak. “That’s all I am to you; the bleedin’ Slayer. The only reason I’m even here is to protect your sorry asses. Am I right?” Nobody said anything. Xander opened his mouth, then closed it again, remaining silent. Spike nodded. “That’s what I thought. You know what?” He paused. “I’ve had it. You’re on your own.” He removed the name tag from his shirt and let it drop to the floor, then turned around and left the store, leaving the others to stare after him in shock.


TBC