Author's Chapter Notes:
My muse has been working overtime lately, the chapters pretty much writes themselves right now. I wasn't going to update again until the weekend but I hope no one mind getting this chapter a bit earlier. *lol*
“I’m thinking of getting a job.” Buffy glanced at Giles, expecting some kind of reaction, but the Watcher just kept his eyes on his papers. “And maybe an apartment,” she added, rolling her eyes when she realized that he obviously wasn’t listening.

“That’s nice, Buffy.” Giles put the papers down and opened a large book. Then he looked up with a frown. “Hold on. What was that?”

She gave him a patient look. “I can see you’re busy, I’ll just get out of your way.”

“No. Buffy, I’m sorry, dear.” Giles sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I don’t mean to be rude; it’s just that something has come up.” He paused for a moment. “Rumors going around town that an old and very powerful vampire has been spotted here in Sunnydale. Normally I don’t listen to gossip, but then I read this in the book of ancient prophesies.” He handed her the book.

Buffy read the paragraph on top of the page, then gave Giles a worried, yet hopeful look. “It could just be a coincidence.”

“Yes, maybe, but we can’t afford to take any chances.” Giles reached for the cordless phone on the table and dialed a number. He waited, patiently, for almost a minute, then gave up with a sigh. “I have been trying to reach Spike for days without getting hold of him, I’m deeply concerned. I’m afraid he has left town, and that would be a disaster, especially now.”

Buffy looked down at her hands, not wanting to meet Giles’ eyes. “He’s still in Sunnydale.”

Giles gave her a surprised look, then nodded in understanding. “Where is he?”

She finally looked up. “I don’t know.”

“Buffy…” Giles reached for the book and closed it. “You do understand…” He hesitated for a moment. “I realize that the two of you were starting to get close, but…”

Buffy almost laughed. Yeah, she thought, we were close, all right. We were almost doing it in the training room, then I accidentally called him William and ruined everything. Truth was, Buffy was deeply disappointed. She had been both relieved and happy after their talk just before Spike had moved out; certain that they still had a chance after all. Then she had given him her number, asking him to call her and let her know where he would be staying. That was three days ago, and she still hadn’t heard a word. She hadn’t seen him around town either, and he hadn’t been over at the Magic Box. It was like he had just disappeared from the face of the earth, and she was starting to fear that he had changed his mind, that they weren’t okay after all and that he was simply avoiding her.

Now she looked at Giles, feeling tears burning behind her eyes and wondered why she – when she hadn’t been able to cry at all for years – now seemed to bawl constantly. “Giles, I don’t know where he is, honestly. He just said he would stay in town. I’m sure he will contact us when he’s ready.”

Giles didn’t seem pleased, but nodded, obviously deciding to let it go for now. Then he seemed to remember what Buffy had said earlier. “What was that about getting a job? You want to work part time at the Magic Box? Since Spike quit, we could sure use some help over there, I am sure Anya would…”

“Giles…” Buffy interrupted him. “I don’t wanna work there. No offense, but…” She hesitated. “Look, I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me over the years, but I think I need to do this on my own, without any help.” She looked him in the eyes, a firm expression on her face. “I need to move on, Giles.”

“I see.” Giles gave her a thoughtful look. “I’m not saying I don’t agree, but would you mind telling me what brought this on?”

“Well…” Buffy shrugged, suddenly a little embarrassed. “I sort of met someone, and…”

“Buffy, that is wonderful!” Giles interrupted her, his concerned expression turning into a soft smile. “There is nothing I want more than for you to find some happiness again. May I ask who…?” He stopped, and his smile disappeared. “Oh dear Lord… Spike?”

Buffy frowned at his sudden change of reaction, but managed a hopeful smile. “I know this must come as a surprise to you, but I really like him. The things I feel when I’m around him…”

“Buffy…” Giles raised his hand to stop her. “I’m sorry, but I believe you are making a terrible mistake.”

“Excuse me?!” Buffy stared at him in shock. “You were happy for me minutes ago, and now…”

“That was before…” Giles sighed. “Buffy, I do want you to be happy. But Spike is not the right man for you.”

“You don’t know that!” She glared at him for a moment, then swallowed. “He thought you were looking down at him because of his past. I told him he was wrong. I guess he wasn’t.”

“That is not true!” Giles forced himself to calm down. “Do you love him?”

Buffy thought about it for a moment. “I think I might be able to.”

“Then I cannot allow it.” Giles went on before she could object. “Don’t you see? I watched you go through this once, I simply can’t bear to see you in that much pain again.” She opened her mouth, but he beat her to it. “I don’t like it any more than you do, but just like William, Spike is the Slayer. They are bound to die young.”

“And you what? Just accept that?” Buffy jumped to her feet, a furious look on her face. “God, Giles, he’s your family! How can you just sit there and tell me that he’s gonna die?! Don’t you care at all?!”

Giles got up as well. “I am telling you this because it is the truth! I’m sorry, but I can’t let you get too attached to him.” He took a deep breath. “I do care, Buffy, more than you think.”

“Yeah? You sure as hell don’t act like it.” She paused. “You have his phone number. I want it.”

Giles looked taken aback, then shook his head. “If he wishes to contact you, he will. You said so yourself.”

Buffy was quiet for a moment, then realized that he was not going to help her, and nodded in sad acceptance. “Fine.” She grabbed her jacket and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Giles took a step after her. “Buffy, I’m sorry, but you need to understand what I am trying to tell you. You need to learn…”

“You know what?” She stopped by the door, then turned around to look at him. “You have done so much for me, Giles. Maybe even saved my life. But…” Buffy looked him straight in the eyes. “It’s my life, and I need to be allowed to make my own decisions.” She paused. “I think you’ve taught me everything I need to know.” With that she left the house, closing the door quietly behind her.


TBC