Author's Chapter Notes:
I've had a rough couple of weeks lately and haven't been feeling very good. Now, hopefully, things will get a little better and I hope I'll be able to keep updating more often but I can't promise anything. All I can say is that I will finish this story eventually. Thanks to all of you who have reviewed so far!
Spike eyed the old, yet strangely beautiful vampire warily as she slowly came closer. A part of him wondered what the hell he was doing, why he hadn’t already staked her, another part couldn’t take his eyes off her. When she first had approached him, two nights ago, his first instinct had been to kill her. Now he couldn’t remember why he hadn’t just shoved the stake through her heart. What was even stranger, not to mention disturbing, was the fact that he had ran into her again last night, and yet she lived. And so did he.

When she was only a few feet away, Spike snapped out of the trance and quickly pulled out the stake from his pocket. He had no idea what her intentions were, and he wasn’t stupid enough to let her get too close. “One more step, and I’ll kill you.”

Drusilla just laughed. “No, you will not.” Then she looked him deep in the eyes, and for some reason, he found himself unable to look away. “Are you afraid of me, Spike?”

He snorted. “Afraid? Right. Think you’re forgetting who has the stake here, pet.”

Her laughter disappeared, and first he mistook her silence for anger. Then she gave him a sad smile. “So much alike. You even have the same eyes.” For a moment he was confused. Then he rolled his eyes as realization hit him. Of course. It was always about William. She went on; “You are not going to kill me. Not now, not ever. You may think you want to, but you don’t. Miss Edith told me. She never lies.”

Now he was even more confused, and started to suspect that this vampire wasn’t just a bit eccentric, she seemed to get crazier by the minute. “What are you on about? Who the bloody hell is Miss Edith?”

She ignored his question. “It’s okay. My William could never kill me either.” Then she sighed. “Now he’s gone. I miss him.”

A little voice inside his head was screaming at him to either use the stake, or to run as far away as possible. Yet he remained where he was. And once again, the stake was back in his pocket. For a moment he frowned, not remembering when he had put it away. He got a strange feeling of déjà vu, and a memory of last night flashed through his mind. They had been standing here, at the very same spot, talking. About… He shook his head, as if to clear it, not understanding why he couldn’t remember.

“I’m not going to bite you.” For some reason, he knew she was telling the truth, and for just a brief moment, he felt a pang of disappointment. Then he snapped out of it. Whoa! What the hell was going on here?! Drusilla must have seen his expression, because she laughed again. “Oh, it’s not that I don’t want to. But I can’t.” She noticed his confusion and went on explaining; “It’s your blood, you see. It would kill me.”

Spike stared at her in bewilderment, until he was starting to understand what she was saying. “Slayer blood…?”

Drusilla nodded. “It is poison. Only a few of us know.”

He blinked in surprise at this new found information. So, Slayer blood would kill a vampire? Suddenly he remembered something Buffy had said, about when she had found William, lying dead in his own blood. There had been a lot of blood. Apparently, the vampire who had killed him had known not to take any. He couldn’t help but wonder if maybe Drusilla knew something about who had killed him. For some reason, he didn’t think she had been the one. She had seemed genuinely sad when she talked about William.

He also wondered why no one had told him about this. Buffy, or Giles, or even Wesley should have said something. Or was it possible that they didn’t know? How could that be? Now he was more confused than ever. He realized that if he wanted to know more, he would have to ask Drusilla. She was silent, watching him, waiting for his reaction, and suddenly he felt so incredibly tired. He pulled out the stake again, taking a step closer. This was just another vampire, and he was the Slayer. He should just stake her, and be done with it. For the first time that night, he felt like he had just woken up from some dream, and his head was clear.

Giving her a questioning look, he wondered why he had felt so drawn to her. The feeling was gone now, however, and he wanted nothing more than to get back home and sleep for a week. But first he had a job to do. He raised the stake, and once again found himself looking into those eyes. The stake dropped to the ground and he stared at her, trying to understand what was happening. Drusilla smiled, a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. “I told you, you are not going to kill me. You are going to listen to me, and you are going to remember what I am about to tell you.”

He nodded. “I will listen.”

Drusilla reached out her hand towards his face and let her cold fingers run down his cheek. He flinched, but was unable to pull back. She noticed his reaction, and sighed. “You and I are going to get to know each other, Spike. You see, I am not just an ordinary vampire.” She paused for a second. “Keep looking into my eyes. Be in me.” He just nodded.

She went on. “I am not going to kill you. I could, but I will not. I have not killed anyone in thirty years.”

Spike looked at her in surprise. “You’re a vampire. That’s what you do.”

Shaking her head, Drusilla closed her eyes, and he was finally able to look away. But he remained where he was. She smiled a little. “I told you, Spike, I am not an ordinary vampire. I can kill, but…” Then she let out a small whimper. “You have to help me. So much blood, so much pain…”

He took a step back. “What are you…?”

“Spike…” She cocked her head to the side, and looked him straight in the eyes. “I have a soul.”


TBC