Author's Chapter Notes:
I wasn't planning on updating again until tomorrow, but since the chapter is all finished and waiting, I thought what the hell, why not post it now. This chapter is for all of you out there who was kind enough to review my last chap, thank you so much! I hope you'll like it.
“Wow! This is…” Buffy looked around the small apartment, desperately trying to come up with something positive to say. “…nice!”

Spike rolled his eyes at her reaction. “Told you, s’not much. But right now, it’s all I can afford. Was either this, or one of those nice crypts over at the cemetery.” He paused for a second. “Think of it, that might have been better. Bit closer to work.” Buffy snorted, and he couldn’t help but chuckle. Then he became serious. “So, um, want something to drink?”

She was just about to say no, but changed her mind. “Sure. What do you got?”

“Well, haven’t been at the grocery store today, so…” He suddenly looked embarrassed. “Water? Unless you want a beer?”

Grimacing, Buffy shook her head. “Water will be fine.” He nodded and headed for the kitchen.

A couple of minutes later, they were sitting in the small couch in the tiny living room, both sipping on their drinks in silence. Before they had arrived to Spike’s apartment, they had stopped for lunch at a small café. They had been talking about just everything, and it had felt like the most natural thing in the world. But now, suddenly, something had changed. Buffy glanced over at Spike, and noticed that he seemed to be just as nervous as she was. She took a deep breath, desperate to come up with something to talk about. “So, gonna patrol again tonight?”

He looked up, relieved at the fact that she was trying to start a conversation. “Yeah. Not like I have a choice, anyway.” Then he paused. “Besides, s’not that bad. I’ll get used to it.”

“Seems like you already have.” Buffy recalled how she had watched him fight the other night. He sure had looked like he had enjoyed it. Then she remembered that he wasn’t supposed to know about that.

Spike gave her a confused look. “What?”

Blushing, Buffy waved her hand in dismissal, letting out a nervous laugh. “Nothing.” Then her smile disappeared. “Are you gonna see her tonight? Drusilla?”

He looked surprised for a moment, then shrugged. “Dunno, s’not up to me to decide. She wants to see me, she will.”

Buffy was silent for a moment. “Last night wasn’t the first time you met her, was it?” Spike didn’t answer at first. Then he shook his head. Buffy nodded in understanding. “Thought so.” She looked down at her hands.

Spike didn’t know what to say. To say that he was confused would be an understatement. If he didn’t know better, he’d say Buffy almost acted like she was jealous. But that would be ridiculous. Right? He looked at her, but she refused to meet his eyes. “She’s a vampire, pet.”

“I know.” She finally looked up. “What does she look like? Is she pretty?”

“Well, yeah, but what does that have to do with…?” He stopped, abruptly, realizing that the proper answer would’ve been a firm ‘no’. “I mean, not that I was looking or anything. I just…”

Buffy rolled her eyes and raised her hand to stop his ramblings. “Of course not.” She slumped back on the couch and took another sip of her water.

Spike watched her in silence. For a moment, he considered telling Buffy about what Drusilla had said about William. Drusilla had made it sound almost like they were having an affair, but he couldn’t know for sure. But Buffy hadn’t even known about Drusilla’s existence, that meant whatever had been going on between them, William had kept it a secret. Maybe his cousin hadn’t been so perfect after all; it sure looked like he’d had at least some skeletons hidden in his closet. Maybe if Buffy found out, it would be easier for her to move on.

But, of course, he could never do that to her. Finding out that the love of her life had been lying, and maybe even cheating on her, would hurt Buffy, and he didn’t want that. Besides, what if she wouldn’t believe him? Maybe she would think that he was just making it up to make William look bad. It wasn’t like he could prove anything. So, he decided against telling her, at least for now. But he made a silent promise to himself to find out as much about it as possible the next time he would run into Drusilla.

“What does she want, anyway?”

Buffy’s words snapped him out of his thoughts, and he gave her a startled look. “What?” He realized that she was staring at him.

She sighed, and repeated her words. “Drusilla. What does she want? You said before that she wanted your help. With what?”

He shrugged. “Not sure. I think she wants to learn to be good, you know, help fighting on the good side. Maybe she doesn’t know how to do that on her own.”

Buffy looked at him. “Are you gonna help her?”

Thinking about it for a moment, Spike finally nodded. “If I can.” He saw the expression on Buffy’s face and hurried to add; “She could be really useful, fighting on our side. She’ll make a difference.”

Buffy was silent for almost a minute. Then she sighed. “Can I meet her?”

He gave her a surprised look, then nodded. “If you want.”

She nodded as well. “I do.” Then she paused for a moment. “Do we have to talk about Drusilla?”

Spike frowned. “You’re the one who brought her up.”

Sighing, Buffy closed her eyes for a second. “I know. But… Can’t we just…?” He took her by surprise when he leaned over and kissed her, softly on the lips. But she quickly recovered from the shock and wrapped her arms around his neck, hungrily returning the kiss. Spike shifted on the couch, so he could pull her into his arms and she happily leaned into his embrace with a sigh.

Suddenly he pulled back. “Buffy, are you sure…?”

Buffy almost screamed at the loss of contact; she needed him to keep kissing her. But she took a deep breath and looked him deep in the eyes. “Yes, Spike, I’m sure. Please…” He watched her closely, searching for some sign that she didn’t mean it. Then he nodded, obviously satisfied with her answer, and once again captured her lips with his.


TBC