Author's Chapter Notes:
If anyone's still reading this story, I'm sorry for not having updated in a while. I've focused on Healing instead, but I've said it before: I will finish this story. To those of you still interested in this fic: thank you for your reviews! Also thanks to Tammy for betaing.
Spike knew Drusilla was standing right outside his door, he could feel her, just like he had felt her lurking in the shadows when he and Buffy had been patrolling the night before. The fact that she now knew where he lived bothered him a little, for reasons he didn’t quite understand. After all, she had a soul; he shouldn’t feel threatened by her. Yet, a part of him couldn’t help but being a little suspicious, wondering why she kept seeking him out. Not to mention the fact that Buffy was supposed to show up any minute, surely she wouldn’t appreciate finding Drusilla here with him. He eyed the vampire a little warily. “Drusilla.”

She smiled a little and there was no doubt she noticed his discomfort. “Spike. Are you going to invite me in?”

He considered it, then shook his head. “Don’t think that would be such a good idea, pet.”

Her smile faltered and she took a step closer, looking him deep in the eyes. “Are you sure?”

Spike frowned, suddenly feeling like he was drowning. He took a step back, gesturing for her to come inside. “Come on in.” The smile on her face was back as she entered the apartment, the invisible barrier now gone. Spike sat down on the couch. “Why are you here?”

She ignored his question as she walked over to the couch and sat down next to him, running her hand over the exact spot where Buffy had been sitting the other day. “Keep playing with sunshine, and you will get burned.”

He stared at her in confusion. “What’s that supposed to mean?” She didn’t answer, just kept looking at him, and he found himself feeling uncomfortable. “Slayer here, pet. Sunshine’s really not a problem for me. You on the other hand…” He left the rest of the sentence hanging.

Drusilla was silent for a moment. “Do you feel it yet?”

“Feel what?” He was annoyed, not liking the lack of control he had been in since the minute she had stepped through the door.

She finally looked away, much to his relief. “Every Slayer has a death wish. If you haven’t felt it already, you will.”

He really didn’t like the sound of that, but refused to let her words get to him. “Don’t think so, luv.”

Drusilla laughed. “But you will. You are no different.” She paused. “My William felt it. He was weak. Took the easy way out and welcomed it, rather than…” Suddenly she let out a furious cry. “He wouldn’t help me! No matter how much I…” She stopped and closed her eyes as a soft moan escaped her throat.

Spike reached for the wooden stake he always carried in his pocket. “You killed him.”

Her eyes snapped open and she looked at him, surprised. “No.” She looked him in the eyes and he lowered the stake without even realizing it. “I called him my Angel.” Drusilla’s voice was soft when she spoke again, though her eyes were cold as usual. “But he was no angel. Despised me, he did. As he should.”

Spike was confused. “Who, William? How well did you know him, exactly?”

Drusilla went on as she hadn’t even heard him. “I killed the bad witch. Snapped her neck and bled her dry. But it was already too late. And now I’m doomed.”

“Um…” Spike had no idea what she was talking about. Then the realization hit him. “You’re talking about the witch who put that curse on you. What has she got to do with William?”

“No, you don’t understand.” Drusilla let out a whimper. “It’s inside me, all the time. I can’t make it stop. It burns…” She pressed her fingers to her temples, moaning.

“Your soul.” Spike nodded in understanding. “But what has any of this got to do with William?”

“He was supposed to save me.” Drusilla’s bottom lip was trembling. “But he wouldn’t help me.” She gave him a pleading look. “You have to help me, Spike. Tell me you will help me.”

“How?” Spike was frustrated. One minute Drusilla acted like an ancient vampire, the next like a frightened child. He didn’t like it, because it gave him no idea what to expect. Before she got the chance to answer, they were interrupted by a knock on the door. For a moment he frowned, then let out a groan. “Oh, bloody hell! Forgot about Buffy.”

Drusilla casted a glance towards the door, then turned back to Spike. “Make her go away.”

“What?” Spike stared at her in confusion. “No!” He paused. “I’ll introduce you to her, then you’re gonna leave.”

“No.” Drusilla ran her fingers down his cheek. “She can’t know I’m here.”

Spike got up. “I don’t know what you’re on about, but I’m not gonna lie to Buffy. If you don’t…” His voice trailed off as he once again found himself looking into those dark, empty eyes.

“You’re going to make her go away. Then you will come into the bedroom.” Drusilla spoke with a low voice. “I’ll be waiting for you. Then I will tell you how you’re going to help me. Do you understand?” He nodded. “Good. Now, go and open the door.” She let go of him and quickly slipped out of the room.

Shaking his head, Spike tried to remember what had just happened, but his mind was blurred and foggy. He hurried over to the door and opened it, revealing a smiling Buffy. “Hi!” Buffy leaned in to kiss him, but he took a step back. She got a hurt look on her face. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” He had a sinking feeling that he was about to make a big mistake, but couldn’t for his life understand what it was. “I’m sorry, luv, but I don’t feel very good. Think I might be coming down with something, don’t want you to catch it.”

“Oh.” Buffy tried to force a smile, but was unable to hide her disappointment. “It’s okay, I understand.” She hesitated. “I should probably leave then?” She gave him a questioning look, silently begging him to object. She had been looking forward to seeing Spike all day; she couldn’t care less about catching any of his germs.

Spike wanted to tell her to stay, but it was like someone else was talking through him. “It would probably be for the best. Think I’ll just head straight to bed, m’a bit knackered.”

Buffy nodded. “Of course. Maybe we can get together tomorrow night instead.” She paused. “That is, if you’re feeling better.”

“Sure, luv. I’m looking forward to it.” Spike gave her a smile he hoped would be assuring. “Love you, pet.”

She returned his smile, although it was a little uncertain. “I know.” She waited until after he had closed the door behind him before whispering, softly; “Love you too.”


TBC