Author's Chapter Notes:
Just trust me, please. I know what I'm doing. :)
“Angel?” Spike desperately struggled to stay conscious. He was painfully aware of the fact that if he would pass out now, he would most likely not wake up again. “You… you’re a vampire, how did you…?” Trying to get up, a wave of nausea hit him and he gasped in pain, falling back down on the floor.

The large, dark-haired vampire rolled his eyes. “I told you, Dru, don’t fucking call me that!” He turned back to Spike. “I prefer Angelus, has a nicer ring to it, don’t you think?” Then he chuckled. “It was nice of you to invite me in, Spike. Not too smart, though, since I’m gonna kill you. But I really appreciate the gesture.”

Spike shook his head in denial. “That’s bollocks, I would never…” Blinking, he realized that his vision was starting to get blurry and found himself wondering how much blood a person could lose before bleeding to death. “I didn’t invite you in.”

“Oh, but you did.” Drusilla giggled again. “But I’m not surprised you don’t remember. I made sure you wouldn’t.”

For a moment, Spike didn’t understand what she was talking about. Then realization hit him. “You put your bloody thrall on me.”

“And we have a winner!” Angelus was grinning, widely. “I simply waited outside, until that little slut of yours had left.” He paused. “Let’s see what the winner gets! Oh, right. Your death.” Drusilla let out a delighted squeal and he went on; “I wanted to kill you the moment you opened the door, but Dru insisted on giving you one last chance to cooperate. Too bad you didn’t take it.” Then he frowned. “Too bad for you, that is. Since it means I’ll get to kill you now, I have to say I’m quite pleased with your decision.”

“Finish it, my Angel. Hurry!” Drusilla pleaded. “I can’t wait to find out what the new Slayer looks like!” Spike tried to stay focused on the female vampire, but had to struggle to keep his eyes open. He was so tired; he just wanted to sleep. But since falling asleep would be a fatal mistake, probably the last mistake he would ever make, he knew that wasn’t an option.

“You know you won’t find the new Slayer right away.” Angelus glanced at Drusilla, looking slightly annoyed. “It took you years to find this one.”

Drusilla let out a furious cry. “But I can’t do this anymore! I need it to be gone!” She started scratching at her chest, whimpering. “Burning, burning inside me like fire…”

“Yeah, yeah, I know.” Angelus snorted in disgust. “Believe me, if I could fuck that damn soul out of you myself, I would.”

“No, you wouldn’t.” Drusilla sounded sad. “You wouldn’t touch me now, not with the soul. You despise me.”

“Damn right!” Angelus snarled. “You sired me, and then you let my mother put that fucking thing inside you!”

“Evil witch…” Drusilla pouted. “Killed her, I did. Snapped her neck, like a twig.” She made a snapping sound with her teeth.

“You did.” Angelus nodded in agreement. “But since then, you haven’t killed anyone in thirty years. Been feeding on rodents, like some fucking animal. You’re a disgrace for a vampire and I’m ashamed to call you my Sire.” He paused, ignoring Drusilla’s pitiful moan. “But things are about to change. We’ll get that soul out of you soon, and then we’ll have a feast. And the world will tremble before us, just like it should be.”

Drusilla nodded, eagerly. “Yes! Yes! And then my mind will be whole.”

Grimacing, Angelus turned away from her, mumbling; “Think it’s a bit too late for that.” Then he turned to Spike. “What do you say, Slayer? How ‘bout we just finish this? Any last requests before I kill you?”

“Yeah.” Spike glared at him from his position on the floor. “Get over here, so I can shove that bloody sword up your arse!”

For a moment, Angelus looked outraged. Then he laughed. “Cocky until the bitter end, aren’t you?” He took a step closer. “You know, in a way I owe those bastards who managed to capture me in a moment of weakness, three years ago. I was furious at them for putting me in that coffin, but if it hadn’t been for them, I wouldn’t have been able to kill my first Slayer. And you know what?” He raised the sword. “I’m really pleased to make you my second.”

Suddenly Drusilla gasped, pressing her fingers against her temples. “No, no…” She let out a moan. “Sunshine’s getting closer. Sunshine’s coming!”

“What?” Angelus stopped and spun around, staring at Drusilla. Then he rolled his eyes. “Not a good time for your games, Dru.”

“No game. I saw her.” Drusilla got a fearful look on her face. “She wants to save the Slayer. She wants to stop you from killing him. Do it, Angel! Do it now!”

“Did you have a vision?” Angelus growled. “Who’s coming?” Drusilla didn’t answer, just kept moaning and whimpering, and it made him furious. “Shut up!” She shifted into gameface, growling at him, and he punched her in the face.

Seeing that for the moment none of the vampires paid any attention to him, Spike glanced at the stake Drusilla had dropped when she had her vision. It was lying on the floor, only a few feet away from him. If only he could reach it, then he might have a chance. Of course, the loss of blood was making him so weak; he doubted he would even be able to lift it. But he had to try. Slowly, he managed to get up on his knees. Then he started crawling towards the stake, praying that he would reach it before one of the vampires would notice him.

Suddenly Angelus spun around. “Don’t even think about it!” The cruel grin was back on the vampire’s face as he delivered a hard kick, hitting Spike in the back of his head.

“Spike! Where are you?!”

Angelus, who had just raised the sword again, cursed loudly at the sound of the female voice, coming from the living room. Drusilla followed his gaze. “Sunshine’s here. Kill her for me, Angel. Kill them both!”

Before Angelus could say anything, Buffy came running into the room. She stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of the two vampires, realizing that the female one had to be Drusilla. Then her eyes landed on Spike, lying on the floor, face down in a puddle of blood. Her hand flew up to cover her mouth, and she let out a gasp. “No, no, no…” Before she even got the chance to react, Angelus had thrown himself at her, pinning her against the wall. She closed her eyes, not bothering to fight back. Spike was dead, those bastards had killed him. He was gone, just like William. Holding her breath, she waited for the sharp pain when the vampire would sink his fangs into her flesh. But it didn’t come. Instead she heard a roar of pain. And then a familiar voice.

“Buffy!”

Her eyes snapped open. The large vampire who had been standing in front of her mere seconds ago was gone. All that remained was a small pile of dust on the floor, next to her feet. Slowly she turned towards the door, seeing Giles lowering a large crossbow. He opened his mouth, but was interrupted by a cry of anguish, coming from the second vampire. The next thing Buffy knew was the sound of glass breaking as Drusilla jumped right through the closed window, desperate to avoid ending up like her dead childe. Giles quickly raised his weapon again, but it was too late. The female vampire had disappeared into the night.

“Buffy, are you…?” Giles took a step towards her, then stopped as he noticed Spike’s still form on the floor. “Oh dear Lord…”

Buffy slowly walked over to Spike and dropped to her knees beside him. She reached out her hand to touch him, but withdrew it before making contact. Then she started shaking her head in denial. “No… Giles…” Tears finally started filling her eyes as she looked up at the man who had been like a father to her for more than three years. “Giles, he’s dead.”


TBC