Author's Chapter Notes:
I wasn't going to let it go so long between updates, but aside from a little writers block, I've had so much to do lately so I simply haven't had time to write. Oh well, here's the next chapter. And this story is almost over.
Desperate to get to Buffy before it was too late, Spike felt like he was moving in slow motion, when in reality, he crossed the cemetery in mere seconds. A million thoughts rushed through his mind at the same time when he saw Buffy’s limp body in the vampire’s arms, and for a horrifying moment, he was convinced that he had already lost her. Then something unexpected happened. Before Spike had managed to reach her, Drusilla suddenly pulled back like she had been hit by holy water. She immediately let go of Buffy and seemed to be staring at something behind her, her face a mixture of horror and fascination.

Spike was at Buffy’s side in less than two seconds, catching her just as she was about to drop to the ground. She blinked in confusion, like she had just woken up from a dream. “S-Spike? What…? How did you…?” She brought her hand up to her neck, wincing when her fingers brushed against the open wound. “I’m bleeding.”

Swallowing, Spike took a closer look at the wound. Realizing that it had looked a lot worse than it really was; that Drusilla’s fangs had just barely pierced the soft skin, he almost passed out with relief. He quickly looked through his pockets for a handkerchief or a kleenex, then had to roll his eyes at himself – why would he have something like that? He wasn’t Giles. Instead, he hurriedly tore off a shred of his shirt and gently pressed it against Buffy’s neck. “You’ll be okay, luv. Just keep the pressure on.”

Buffy did as he said, staring at him in shock. “She bit be. I couldn’t… I don’t remember…” She shook her head, as if to clear it. Then she frowned. “Where did she go?” She stopped then, her eyes landing on the female vampire, who had started to back away. “Why didn’t she kill me? Why did she stop?”

Spike just shook his head, having no answer. He helped her sit down on the grass, taking both her small hands in his. “Buffy, listen to me. You stay right here, luv, whatever happens. Unless she…” He hesitated. “If something happens to me, don’t try to be a hero. Then you’ll run, as fast as you can and don’t look back.”

Her eyes widened. “What are you…?” She swallowed as his words started to sink in and realization hit her. “God, Spike, how can you even say that?!” Then she gave him a stubborn look. “I’m not going anywhere.”

He opened his mouth to object, then decided against it, knowing that he didn’t have time to argue with her. “Fine. Just stay here. I don’t want you anywhere near her, ever again.” Before she could say anything, he pulled her close and kissed her softly on the lips. Then he started to get up, but she grabbed his arm to stop him.

“Wait!” Her fingers clutched around his arm, almost desperately, and she looked him deep into the eyes. “I love you.”

For a brief moment, he just stared at her. Then he nodded, a soft smile appearing on his lips. “I know. Now wait here, and I’ll go finish this.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Drusilla stared at something in front of her with wide eyes, a grin slowly spreading on her face. She let out a small giggle, eagerly clapping her hands. “Ooh… Slayer came back to play!”

Spike, who carefully had walked up behind her, stopped with a frown. Drusilla seemed to be talking to the air, which he supposed shouldn’t surprise him too much. He already knew she was crazy. It was probably a good thing right now, though; she would be a lot easier to take out if she was distracted. He raised his stake and was just about to shove it through the vampire’s heart, when she spoke directly to him; “Can’t you see him?”

Stake in mid-air, he froze in his tracks. Drusilla turned around, an expectant look on her pale face. Then she noticed the stake in his hand. For a moment, her eyes flashed yellow. Then she laughed. “So, my brave, new Slayer has finally come to kill me.” She cocked her head to the side. “But why did you bring him?”

Spike stared at her in confusion. “What?” He glanced over his shoulder, having no idea what she was talking about.

Drusilla’s smile disappeared. For a moment, she looked almost afraid. She opened her mouth, then closed it again. A soft whimper escaped her throat. Spike raised a brow, more confused than ever. Drusilla turned to him again. “You really can’t see him?”

He shook his head. “See who? What the bloody hell are you on about?”

She giggled then. “The stars brought him back to me, as a present.” Then she frowned. “But it’s not my birthday.”

“There’s no one there, Dru.” Spike tightened his grip around the stake. “You know what’s gonna happen now, don’t you? Let’s just get it over with.”

“Spike… You don’t really want to kill me.” Drusilla pouted a little, a playful smile playing at the corner of her mouth, but her eyes were cold as ice.

Having learned his lesson, Spike made sure not to look directly into the vampire’s eyes. “Is that so? I’ll tell you what, Dru; you’ve made two mistakes. The first was trying to get rid of your soul. The second…” He paused, glancing over at Buffy, relieved to see that she had stayed back like he asked. She was safe now, and he would make sure to keep it that way. “The second was hurting Buffy. So, yes. I really want to kill you.”

Drusilla had been calm so far, so he wasn’t prepared for the sudden fit of rage as she let out a loud growl, her face shifting back into the face of a demon. “Buffy, Buffy, Buffy! It’s all about her, isn’t it? She poisoned my William’s mind and now she has gotten you, too.”

Spike snorted. “William was never yours. He wanted to help you, yes. But only because he felt sorry for you. So did I, by the way. Not anymore, though. Now I realize how pathetic you really are. William never loved you.”

“Yes, he did!” Drusilla snarled. “I was his salvation, his dark princess. He…” She stopped, once again turning her attention towards something only she could see. “No. You’re lying!” Then she whimpered. “Why are you doing this?” She quickly stepped back with her arms raised in front of her like a shield, suddenly screaming like a terrified child. “No! Your touch burns, like fire!” Growling and snarling in fear, she kept backing away.

He threw himself at Drusilla, just as she turned towards him. Crying out in surprise, she tried to block his punch, but was too late. She made a desperate attempt of attacking by scratching at his face with her long, sharp fingernails, all the time screaming in fury. Wincing in pain, Spike tried to take a step back as she almost got his eye, but stumbled over a small headstone. While he was struggling to keep his balance, Drusilla saw her chance and attacked. They both tumbled to the ground, and that was when Buffy screamed out his name.

Spike knew that Buffy was running towards him even though he couldn’t see her, lying on his back with the furious vampire on top of him, and one single thought came to his mind. It didn’t matter if he’d make it or not, as long as Buffy was safe. But on the other hand, if Drusilla killed him, or just managed to knock him unconscious, he would have no way of protecting her. With that thought in mind, he didn’t even realize that he had managed to shift the stake in his hand before the souled vampire disappeared, screaming, into a cloud of dust. And Drusilla was no more.


TBC