*A/N: It’s been a tough week for me so far…curious why, check out the live journal (Sabrina_Rose). Other than that I hope you enjoy the next couple of installment. Until Buffy is due, I’m going to incorperate what’s going on with everyone’s life around her. They are the ones who will be there after the baby, so there’s some need to subtract a few people, and do some adding. Thanx to Ash, not only for betaing, but also for being a friend.*

Chapter Thirteen: Hold On

As the weeks passed, and the end of August neared, Spike found himself in the midst of planning a surprise baby shower for Buffy. She was approaching her ninth month in three weeks, and the baby was about ready to join the non-couple. They spent their nights at her house, watching movies, while Buffy pigged out. But Buffy was yet to allow Spike back into her life fully.

Spike sat in his bedroom with a laptop on his lap, and his father at his side. “What the fucking bloody hell is a Diaper Genie?” He questioned out loud, looking through the Toys R Us gift registry for baby showers. He put a hand through his hair, happy that it was back to normal, a tousled mess of bleached curls.

“Something I wish they had back when you were a tot.” Giles said wistfully. He looked over at his son and smiled. “Even though your mother chose to abandon us, I never regret having you here with me.”

“Has she ever looked for me? Not that it matters because she can’t be what Jenny was to me.” Spike ensured the older man.

“She has…ever since you were born, I’ve sent her pictures, but it wasn’t until we came to Sunnydale, that she wanted to meet you. I was reluctant, and decided that I’d tell you about her when you had your own child, and let you decide whether or not you’d like to meet her.” Giles explained.

“Where does she live?” Spike asked out of curiosity.

Out of habit, Giles took off his glasses and began cleaning them with his shirt out of habit. “LA.” He replied simply. When Spike didn’t reply, Giles reluctantly said, “If you want to meet her, I’ll understand.”

“I’ll think about it.” Spike turned his attention back to the portable computer before him.

*

“Damn, B, that belly sure is getting big. Is there a basketball under there?” Buffy was surprised to see her cousin sitting at the kitchen table in her house, her aunt across from the brunette.

“Faith…what are you doing here?” Buffy questioned.

“Buffy, is that any way to greet your cousin?” Her mother came in from upstairs, with an envelope in hand.

“Sorry. Hi, Aunt Maggie, Faith…what are you doing here?”

“Just picking something up from your mother.” Maggie replied. She avoided eye contact with the teen, ashamed of her current state.

“Mom’s a little disappointed at the mini-Spike you’re carrying.” Faith let out bluntly, and received a dirty look from the older blonde.

Buffy looked at her aunt for a reply.

“Faith will never become something, but I had so much hope in your ability, Buffy. How are you going to raise this child and get a proper education?” Maggie asked.

Buffy took a seat beside her cousin, noticing for the first time that Faith was no longer wearing her usual black tightness, and red gloss. “I’m going to take care of the gallery until spring semester, and go to UC Sunnydale. Spike will be doing the same, except managing both college and the gallery at the same time.” Buffy explained.

“It’s nice to see that you have taken the illusion into consideration.” Maggie stood, and nodded at her younger sister to join her on the porch. Joyce gave her daughter a small, ‘Don’t worry, I’ll straighten her ass out,’ look and followed Maggie outside.

“Mom’s a real bitch…but things have been getting a little better.” Faith said, standing and searching the freezer for something microwaveable. Finding a Hot Pocket, she ignored the name scrawled on the plastic packaging.

“You seem to have…”

“Changed?” Faith questioned with a smile. “I don’t know. I woke up one day and decided that I didn’t like where life was taking me.”

“And Drusilla.” The name tasted bitter on Buffy’s tongue.

Faith shrugged. “Her father, Mr. Tavers…he was shipped to France on business, so she left…but not before I put a few bruises on her.”

“What happened?” Buffy asked curiously.

“Angel dumped her, and me…she blamed you…started talking shit…especially when she found out that Angel took you to your appointments. She bad mouthed you, and I may not like you as much as I should, you’re still my cousin.” Faith explained. Then, with the beep of a horn, Faith was on her way to the back door, Hot Pocket in hand. “That’s Mom, ready to go. Auntie Joyce must have really given it to her, because she does not looked happy. I’ll see you later, B.”

“Faith,” Buffy stopped the brunette from walking out the door. “Thanks.” She replied simply, and her cousin smiled in return, while leaving.

Buffy sat deep in thought, the changes her family was going through, when Andrew came out of no where and looked in the fridge. Him, being Dawn’s best friend, always popped up from time to time. It was as though he lived in the house.

“Um…Buffy, I called dibs on the last Hot Pocket and it seems to be missing. I know you’re pregnant and everything but-“

Faith interrupted the blonde boy, when she popped in, Hot Pocket in her mouth. “Forgot the envelope.” She said with the mouthful, grabbed the envelope and left.

“Hey!” Andrew whined, causing Buffy to roll her eyes at him.

*

“What brand of diapers do you prefer? The fancy brand, or the affordable kind?” Anya questioned, as she pushed the cart in Wal Mart.

“Why are we buying diapers? The baby isn’t even due for another few weeks.” Dawn said, her arms crossing her chest as she walked.

“Your mother wants us to be prepared. Buffy could explode at any second.” Anya informed the younger Summers girl.

“Thanks, Ahn, love the visual effect.” Buffy said sarcastically.

“No problem.” Anya smiled brightly. “So…have you decided on a name?”

“Yeah…Joshua William Giles.” Buffy said with a wistful smile.

“It’s a strong name. How about marriage?” Anya prodded.

“He asked…sort of, but I’m not sure yet.” Buffy shrugged, walking beside the newly brunette.

“Xander hasn’t…” Anya frowned.

“You two haven’t been hanging much…is everything okay?” Buffy questioned worriedly.

Anya shook her head. “Ever since you announced your pregnancy, things have been a bit shaky.”

“Why?” Buffy asked, stopping Dawn from putting a thirty pack of Snickers in the car, than changing her mind when a craving hit her.

“I was pregnant.” Anya replied with a shrug.

Buffy looked at her friend with surprise in her eyes. “What happened?”

“I wasn’t ready…and neither was Xander. He was close to becoming a pizza boy for the rest of his life.” Anya said, annoyance in her voice.

“But he got accepted to UC Sunnydale to study architecture.” Buffy said.

“Yes, but this happened after Halloween, when Xander was ” Anya saw the baby wipes, and put a few packages in the cart.

“I’m sorry,” Buffy had obvious tears in her eyes.

“It’s not your fault…he was just so excited about helping you with the baby…ever since we’ve been fighting a lot more. I offered him many orgasms, and the chance to make another baby…but he turned me down. I haven’t really spoken to him since.” Anya explained, stopping at the baby-clothing isle.

“Are you sure you’re okay with helping me do this?” Buffy asked, as she got ready to buy some onesies.

“Don’t worry…things will look up.” Anya attempted to ensure herself more than anything.

“I know I’ve been going through a lot, but remember that I’m here for anything…you’re still important to me, as well as Xander. Hold on, everything will get better for everyone.” They stopped walking as Buffy hugged her friend. “I tell myself everyday.”