*A/N: Sorry it took me forever…I’ve been working so much lately, it’s amazing I got to it. I have another chapter coming soon. Please review, and let me know if you think Buffy and Spike are ready for the baby, because he may be here in two chapters.*

Chapter Seventeen: Overprotected

Spike drove his father’s carefully home. It was small, red, shiny, and shaped like a penis, so Joyce took some of the presents in her care, while Xander was helping with the rest.

Buffy sat on the passenger’s side, staring out the window. A gentle smile caressed her lips.

“We made out like bandits, luv.” Spike said, glancing at his soon to be bride, breaking the silence. “It was great of Willow to pitch in with Oz for the car seat. I just wish he could have been here.”

“Uh huh,” Buffy agreed quietly.

“She seemed to be doing fine without him. That new friend of hers is nice.” He attempted conversation.

“Uh huh.” She replied again.

“Just one more month and he’ll be here, luv, and we’ve got everything we need for the beginning.”

“Yeah.” She smiled at the thought, putting a hand over her belly.

With a slight frown, he pulled the car into the driveway of his house. “ Are you okay?” He asked, turning off the ignition.

She turned to him with a grin. “Fine.” She looked into his eyes, and put a hand to his cheek.

He nuzzled into her hand like a puppy, and leaned in to kiss her. She turned away without much thought, when she saw they were at his house.

“What are we doing here?” She asked.

“I have a surprise for you, luv. If you didn’t notice, my gift wasn’t in the pile you opened.” He got out of the car, and went over to her side to help her out.

“You’ve done so much, already. I have no idea what you could possibly give me.” She held his hand, as they walked to the front door.

“Not just me love,” he began as he opened the door, “my father, and your mum too.”

“It must be big.” She said, following him up the stairs.

“It is…” He said, stopping in from of an oak door. He looked at her, before pushing it open, and stepping in. He reached for the light, and she gasped.

The room was painted a pale blue; the carpet was plush and white, and the crib that had been in her room that same morning was now there, along with the gifts she’d received. “How?”

“It’s not done. I figured you’d like to decide where everything should go.” Spike said.

“I-I don’t understand.” Buffy stuttered.

“My dad was planning on selling it, he has an apartment near Main Street. I didn’t want to give the house up, and it’s paid for…everything. So after convincing him, he allowed me-us to be his tenant.” Spike explained.

“You’ve got to be kidding me…” She said, following him to what was once Giles and Jenny’s bedroom. It was empty. “Or maybe not.”

Spike made his way to the windowsill, and picked up a black velvet box. “Buffy Summers, will you marry me?” He asked, getting on his knees.

“I will.” She replied with tears in her eyes, and he took her in his arms, and kissed her for the first time in months.

*

The next week went quickly, and Buffy and Spike spent it, moving Giles’ things out, painting, and moving. Everyone was treating her as though she was a fragile piece of glass that could break any second. It was stomping on her nerves, and Buffy was ready to explode.

She sat in the middle of her new bedroom, while Spike worked the roller. She was still sleeping in her bed at home, and avoided sexual contact with Spike, due to the fact that she was so close to giving birth.

“Buffy, you shouldn’t be in the room while Spike is painting. The baby can have problems if you inhale the fumes.” Joyce chided, coming into the bedroom with Dawn behind her.

“I’m fine, Mom.” Buffy rolled her eyes, and watched Spike’s actions. “Can I help?” The last couple of weeks were going to be a bitch if she made it through, especially since she was so antsy.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea, pet. Maybe you should listen to your mum.” Spike suggested.

Buffy stood with a pout. “I’m pregnant, not a baby.”

“You sure look like one with that face.” Dawn chimed.

“Just forget it, I’ll get out of the stupid room, and I’ll find something to do.” Buffy began stomping down the stairs and out the front door.

Everyone ran after her, including Giles, who had been in the living room, packing away some old pictures.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Joyce questioned.

“For a walk. What, I can’t even go for a walk?” Buffy asked.

“Bloody hell, Buffy, you’re three weeks away from going into labor.” Spike put a hand through his hair.

“That doesn’t mean I can’t go for a fucking walk.” Buffy said angrily.

“It’s not a very good idea.” Giles took of his glasses and cleaned them with his shirt.

“Buffy, is that the language you plan to raise your son with?” Joyce asked angrily.

“Yeah, and I have a lot more fucking language where that came from. I’m eighteen years old, if I want to go for a fucking, walk, I’ll go for a fucking walk. You people don’t have to follow me everywhere. I’m tired of this shit.” With that, she began stomping away.

Joyce sighed, putting her fingers to her temples. “She’s going to be the death of me.”

“Bloody hormones.” Spike muttered.

“She can’t just go to the park alone…that baby could pop out any second.” Dawn said.

“I’ll go after her.” Spike handed over the roller he’d been panting with to Joyce, giving her an encouraging smile. Than, he ran after the blonde.

Buffy could hear his footsteps, knew it was him. “What do you want, Spike?”

“Buffy, luv, I’m going to be your husband, the father of your child…help me out here, and let me protect you.”

She stopped in her tracks, crossing her arms above her belly, and looking at him. “I can take care of myself. I can barely go to the bathroom with out you coming after me, telling me to be careful.”

“Because I don’t want you to hurt yourself. The tub is slippery.” Spike said.

“Don’t give me that…it’s because I was in the hospital, isn’t it?” She questioned, and Spike hesitated. “The baby’s fine, I’m fine…this labor is not going to kill me.”

“You’ve been making me nervous, moving around so much.” Spike said.

“I’m just impatient having him inside of me…I want to be a mother already.”

“You already are, luv…you’re taking care of him as we speak, protecting him in your body, giving him what he needs. Now, come back home, pet…go to my room in the attic and rest.” Spike suggested.

“If you say so.” Buffy sighed, taking Spike’s hand and following back to the house.