*A/N: I’m loving the support, and I’m happy that you all are getting so into it. Still checking the baby idea…so just let me know what you feel.*

Chapter Three: This Woman’s Work

When he asked his old man for a ticket back to the states, he was told in the posh accent of the mother land he was growing to hate, “Absolutely not!”

Spike knew it was time to take things into his own hands. He made his way down the strip by the harbor, and stopped and Merle’s Fish and Chips. Merle was a short skinny man, with green hair slicked back.

“How are you doing, Merle?”

“Spike? Is that you? I haven’t seen you since you were thirteen.” Merle was a city slicker from New York, who got into some problems in the states and fled to the mother country.

“It’s definitely been a while, mate.” Spike agreed.

“You’ve gotten bigger, more manly than the dork you used to be.” Merle said with a laugh.

“I see you’ve been staying out of trouble.” Spike put his arms up, noticing the condition of the restaurant.

“Yeah…it’s been a hit for a while now. I owe it all to your dad. What brought you here, anyway? You hated fish and was ecstatic to get out of England.” Merle wiped the counter and gave a customer a small smile.

“My mum passed a few months ago and Dad dragged me back out here.” Spike informed him.

“Sorry to here about that. Jenny was a wonderful woman.” Merle nodded his head with seriousness.

“Yeah…well, I actually came because I’m desperate for a favor.” Spike said.

“And what might that be? My funds are kinda tight at the moment.” Merle let him know.

“Well it is about money, but I’m willing to work for it.” Spike replied.

“Well…we the pay is shit, but let me introduce you to some of the workers. You can start tomorrow.” Merle put an arm around Spike’s shoulders and led him behind the counter.

*

Buffy inhaled deeply as she walked up the steps of Sunnydale High, in capri-overalls and black wife beater. She was yet to have the talk with her mother, but she was in for it today, especially since she had a doctor’s appointment after school.

She expected people to know, already…to look at her funny, but nothing unusual happened when she reached her locker. But then, Willow, Xander, Oz, and Anya all formed a circle around her.

“Hey Buffy!” Willow said with cheer.

“What are you guys doing here?” Buffy questioned with a smile.

“We decided to walk with you to English.” Xander said.

“You never walked me before.” Buffy informed.

“Well, we’re here to take care of you in this time of need, and impregnation.” Anya said, a bit too loud for Buffy’s liking.

“There’s no need guys, really.” Buffy assured them, as they all began walking together.

“Donut?” Oz held a Krispy Crème bag out to Buffy with what looked like a donut.

“Thanks.” Buffy took it with much hunger. Her eating habits were already rapidly changing and she was no more than three months.

“Hey! I didn’t get a donut!” Xander complained.

“You’re not pregnant, although sometimes I wonder.” Oz said, raising his brow quizzically.

“You guys think we could keep down the P-word.” Buffy requested.

“Sorry…are we doing to much, because you can tell us.” Willow offered.

“You’re doing fine, but when the mood swings start, I seriously suggest running for cover.” With those words, Buffy spotted Drusilla walking near, and attempted to lose eye contact.

“I see something extra in that crowd…could there be the stab, stab, stab in the belly.” She hissed.

Buffy just ignored her, while the others gaped. “How could she know?” They wondered.

Suddenly, being pregnant was the last thing on Buffy’s mind, and hiding it was more up her ally.

*

Buffy stood in the student parking lot, waiting for her mother. The sun was beating down on her and she was exhausted. She was about to walk home, when Angel pulled up beside her in his red and black Camaro.

“Need a ride?” He questioned innocently.

“No, I’m walking.” Buffy replied.

“You don’t look too well…are you sure you want to walk?” He asked.

“Where’s the creature of the night?” Buffy countered.

“We…broke up…I don’t know what happened, and to be honest, I don’t care.” He was ready to go into an explanation, when Buffy’s cell phone went off.

“Where are you?” Buffy questioned when she saw it was her mother. “The bus? Sure I can…thanks. Yeah, we’ll talk after I get home.” Her mother was caught up at the gallery and Buffy sighed at the thought of taking the bus downtown alone.

“I’m feeling quite generous.” Angel let her know.

Buffy rolled her eyes at the brooding brunette. “Fine, but if you tell anyone where we’re going, I’ll kill you.” With that she made her way to the passengers side and got in.